Thread: Jimmy Carter: U.S. Widespread Human Rights Violators

Hall Of Fame

Jimmy Carter: U.S. Widespread Human Rights Violators

Translation: "See America? I'm not the [I]worst[/I] President you've ever had"

[url]http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/06/jimmy-carter-accuses-u-s-of-widespread-abuse-of-human-rights/[/url]

A former U.S. president is accusing the current president of sanctioning the “widespread abuse of human rights” by authorizing drone strikes to kill suspected terrorists.
    Jimmy Carter, America’s 39th president, denounced the Obama administration for “clearly violating” 10 of the 30 articles of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, writing in a New York Times op-ed on Monday that the “United States is abandoning its role as the global champion of human rights.”
    “Instead of making the world safer, America’s violation of international human rights abets our enemies and alienates our friends,” Carter wrote.
    While the total number of attacks from unmanned aircraft, or drones, and the resulting casualties are murky, the New America Foundation estimates that in Pakistan alone 265 drone strikes have been executed since January 2009 . Those strikes have killed at least 1,488 people, at least 1,343 of them considered militants, the foundation estimates based on news reports and other sources.
    In addition to the drone strikes, Carter criticized the current president for keeping the Guantanamo Bay detention center open, where prisoners “have been tortured by waterboarding more than 100 times or intimidated with semiautomatic weapons, power drills or threats to sexually assault their mothers.”
    The former president blasted the government for allowing “unprecedented violations of our rights to privacy through warrantless wiretapping and government mining of our electronic communications.”

He also condemned recent legislation that gives the president the power to detain suspected terrorists indefinitely, although a federal judge blocked the law from taking effect for any suspects not affiliated with the September 11 terrorist attacks.
    “This law violates the right to freedom of expression and to be presumed innocent until proved guilty, two other rights enshrined in the declaration,” Carter said.
    While Carter never mentioned Obama by name, he called out “our government” and “the highest authorities in Washington,” and urged “concerned citizens” to “persuade Washington to reverse course and regain moral leadership.”

You think this may of had something to do with it?

[QUOTE]In last month's issue of Foreign Policy magazine, leading analyst and Iraq War supporter Walter Russell Mead opined that President Obama's foreign policy agenda was turning into a duplicate of Jimmy Carter's.[/QUOTE]

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Jimmy Carter should just shut his irrelevant piehole and thank god that thanks to Obama, he can never again be defined as the most horrifically incompetent president in this country's history.

[QUOTE=shakin318;4500839]Jimmy Carter should just shut his irrelevant piehole and thank god that thanks to Obama, he can never again be defined as the most horrifically incompetent president in this country's history.[/QUOTE]

He thanks GW for that everyday. :D:

[QUOTE=cr726;4500842]He thanks GW for that everyday. :D:[/QUOTE]

True.

And one more thing; Carter is correct.

[QUOTE=shakin318;4500839]Jimmy Carter should just shut his irrelevant piehole and thank god that thanks to Obama, he can never again be defined as the most horrifically incompetent president in this country's history.[/QUOTE]

that ended in 2000 when the worst president in recent times took the oath.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    [QUOTE=intelligentjetsfan;4501054]True.

And one more thing; [B][U]Carter is correct[/U][/B].[/QUOTE]

So you'll be voting for a multple-offense human rights violator for President, eh?

[QUOTE=Warfish;4501060]So you'll be voting for a multple-offense human rights violator for President, eh?[/QUOTE]

I love how you assume that because I am liberal I will be voting for Obama (will you be voting for Romney?).

Carter was a poor president mainly because he lacked the ability to be a leader and portray a strong image. But I respect the work he has done since he has been out of office in particular, helping the poor and human rights.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=intelligentjetsfan;4501660]I[B] love how you assume that because I am liberal I will be voting for Obama[/B] (will you be voting for Romney?).

Carter was a poor president mainly because he lacked the ability to be a leader and portray a strong image. But I respect the work he has done since he has been out of office in particular, helping the poor and human rights.[/QUOTE]

C'mon now IJF...:D

Jets Insider VIP
    There is an implicit pattern behind many posts:

[list=1][*] Assume all D's love Carter.[*] Assume all R's love Bush.[*] Then prove who is ALWAYS correct by debating whether B or C is the worst.[/list]

Duh...both were bad and so is Obama.

Reagan and Clinton were good. Bush-I was mediocre.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    [QUOTE=intelligentjetsfan;4501660]I love how you assume that because I am liberal I will be voting for Obama (will you be voting for Romney?).[/quote]

Yes, I admit I assume you'll be voting for Obama.

Are you saying you will not?

as for my own vote, I will either vote the Libertarian Candidate (most likely) or for Romney (rather unlikely). I am still "undecided", although I believe it will be the (L) I will most likely vote for.

[quote]Carter was a poor president mainly because he lacked the ability to be a leader and portray a strong image. But I respect the work he has done since he has been out of office in particular, helping the poor and human rights.[/QUOTE]

I don't. In my view, there is a whoel host of human rights violators who put the U.S. to shame, and it is those nations who warrant concerted criticism for those violations first and foremost. Carter, oddly, is silent on many of them, but find plenty of time to denounce his own Nation and his own people for relatively minor objections.

I will give him credit, at least he's nailed both Bush and Obama both. Next to him, the two worst presidents in U.S. History IMO. At least he isn't being hypocritical.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=intelligentjetsfan;4501660]I love how you assume that because I am liberal I will be voting for Obama (will you be voting for Romney?).

Carter was a poor president mainly because he lacked the ability to be a leader and portray a strong image. But I respect the work he has done since he has been out of office in particular, helping the poor and human rights.[/QUOTE]

The only thing I question about you is your love for the Kennedys.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 06-27-2012 at 12:48 PM.

[QUOTE=Warfish;4501808]Yes, I admit I assume you'll be voting for Obama.

Are you saying you will not?

as for my own vote, I will either vote the Libertarian Candidate (most likely) or for Romney (rather unlikely). I am still "undecided", although I believe it will be the (L) I will most likely vote for.

I don't. In my view, there is a whoel host of human rights violators who put the U.S. to shame, and it is those nations who warrant concerted criticism for those violations first and foremost. Carter, oddly, is silent on many of them, but find plenty of time to denounce his own Nation and his own people for relatively minor objections.

I will give him credit, at least he's nailed both Bush and Obama both. Next to him, the two worst presidents in U.S. History IMO. At least he isn't being hypocritical.[/QUOTE]

I am saying this; if I do not vote for Obama I will be sitting this election out (unless Ron Paul goes independent). As of now I am on the fence about voting tbh.

As for Carter, I have seen articles where Carter was critical of foreign leaders who were bad actors but he is most vocal about the nation he represents.

I don't see how Obama and Bush were/are better presidents that Carter. Again I am not a fan of Carter's because he was a weak leader and ranking the three as presidents is like choosing which sickness to contract. But Carter did help broker the Camp David Accords which was something to be proud of.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    [QUOTE=intelligentjetsfan;4502066]I am saying this; if I do not vote for Obama I will be sitting this election out (unless Ron Paul goes independent). As of now I am on the fence about voting tbh. [/quote]

If you say so.

:dunno:

[QUOTE]I don't see how Obama and Bush were/are better presidents that Carter. Again I am not a fan of Carter's because he was a weak leader and ranking the three as presidents is like choosing which sickness to contract.[/QUOTE]

Three of the worst Presidents ever, within a 6 President Era. And if what I hear daily on Left Radio is correct, they add Reagan to the "worst ever" mix as well.

No reason to wonder why we are where we are today.

[url]http://fromthetrenchesworldreport.com/what-the-world-thinks-of-us/16826/[/url]

What the World thinks of US

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4502079]If you say so.

:dunno:

Three of the worst Presidents ever, within a 6 President Era. And if what I hear daily on Left Radio is correct, they add Reagan to the "worst ever" mix as well.

No reason to wonder why we are where we are today.[/QUOTE]

It's not correct at all.
    But keep listening so you don't forget who the enemies of America are.

[QUOTE=Jungle Shift Jet;4502131]It's not correct at all.
    But keep listening so you don't forget who the enemies of America are.[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lzva7ymMlg1qil96wo1_500.jpg[/IMG]
    Last edited by intelligentjetsfan; 06-27-2012 at 04:38 PM.

[QUOTE=DDNYjets;4501927]The only thing I question about you is your love for the Kennedys.[/QUOTE]

who said I love [B]all[/B] the Kennedys? I am an enormous advocate of Bobby Kennedy. Do you respect the work and resume of Jeb Bush? Does that mean you love every Bush that held a public office?

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=intelligentjetsfan;4502190]who said I love [B]all[/B] the Kennedys? I am an enormous advocate of Bobby Kennedy. Do you respect the work and resume of Jeb Bush? Does that mean you love every Bush that held a public office?[/QUOTE]

Fair enough. He is without question the most admirable of the trio.

BTW, I am a fan of all the Bushes. I am 20yrs ahead of the curve on W.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 06-27-2012 at 06:07 PM.