Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Sobering Review of Shonn Greene

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetsfan920;4502313]I wish we got someone like Stewart. I don't trust Greene to be a full time back.[/QUOTE]

I like JS too.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dunnie;4502319]RB ... More than any other position .... [B]Usually show what they are in the first year[/B] ... Maybe two years at most. The comments bye Ray may prove correct ... Although I think we have seen what Greene is ... Basically ... He is a power back that does not have a good burst or vision ... And he goes down often on initial contact.[/QUOTE]

Tiki Barber wouldn't agree.. But if a back gets a fair shot I agree by year 2 you should know..

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jordy;4502132]Ray Ray: "[I]Because of poor play overall in the passing game and lacking talent to stretch the field, [B]it hurt the running game in the process and in play-action, still, Greene put up over 1,000 yds and didn't get all of [U]the carries[/U] with LT [U]still getting a significant portion of the workload[/U][/B][/I][U][B]."

[/B][/U]...

Riight. You weren't talking just about the running game. Maybe the use of the word "carries" led me to believe that. What were you saying about ass? :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Funny that you left out the first part of that same post:

[QUOTE=Ray Ray19;4502045][B]In Green's first year, he didn't get an [U] opportunity [/U]until Leon Washington went down and even then was a back-up to Jones, until Jones got banged up later in the year.[/B][/QUOTE]

Once again, you're arguing just to argue, and now, you have no real point, you just need to log off feeling that you "won" something.

It's really very simple.

Greene hasn't received the opportunity to carry the full load, and up until now, he should not have received that opportunity. I've more than laid out the flaws in his game that have contributed his playing time, and the numbers he's put up, and why the numbers haven't been greater. The argument that he is a 3 year RB and hasn't shown enough yet, is a flawed statement period, I've justified why throughout this thread. Naturally, you chalk it up as either excuses, or BS, or me not "having a point." :rolleyes:

In turn, you've come back with your usual bull****, OL rankings you don't want to justify, and really, you have no point, only that I am the one who has no point. In other words, arguing to argue, as long as you "win" the internet, you can sleep well at night.

You are the very definition of a "douche bag."
    Last edited by Ray Ray19; 06-27-2012 at 10:49 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Savage69;4502324]Tiki Barber wouldn't agree.. But if a back gets a fair shot I agree by year 2 you should know..[/QUOTE]

Bingo.

It's been the main point of my argument against those trashing Greene.

He hasn't received a full opportunity to carry the load.

Frankly, I like having a 2 RB system, two RB's that balance each other out, that do things well in different areas.

I'm not sure why people are down on Green, considering the role he's been asked to play, he's done it pretty well. IMO, he still has some upside, if he can improve his pass receiving ability and his blocking, he CAN be a full-time back.

Even then, I like having depth at RB.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Ray Ray19;4502422]Bingo.

Frankly, I like having a 2 RB system, two RB's that balance each other out, that do things well in different areas.

I'm not sure why people are down on Green, considering the role he's been asked to play, he's done it pretty well. IMO, he still has some upside, if he can improve his pass receiving ability and his blocking, he CAN be a full-time back.

Even then, I like having depth at RB.[/QUOTE]

I don't think he can be a full time guy .. Ever .... He is more of a 4th quarter mop up guy. I hope I am wrong. And I do think he has had the opportunity ... He just lost it to LT two years ago and last year he proved he is average.

But I agree with your comments about depth.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dunnie;4502434]I don't think he can be a full time guy .. Ever .... He is more of a 4th quarter mop up guy. I hope I am wrong. And I do think he has had the opportunity ... He just lost it to LT two years ago and last year he proved he is average.

But I agree with your comments about depth.[/QUOTE]

I don't agree with you that Greene lost the opportunity to LT two years ago.

I think the Jets liked having a more fresh Greene late in the season to pound on defenses, and into the playoffs, as he did in his rookie year when Leon went down at mid-season, and then Jones got banged up toward the end of the year.

I think LT came in and proved he had something left in the tank and was a bigger weapon in the passing game, that has been Greene's deficiency, not his ability as a RB, but as a receiver.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dunnie;4502434]I don't think he can be a full time guy .. Ever .... He is more of a 4th quarter mop up guy. I hope I am wrong. And I do think he has had the opportunity ... He just lost it to LT two years ago and last year he proved he is average.

But I agree with your comments about depth.[/QUOTE]

I'll agree to disagree. LaMont Jordan was a 4th quarter mop up guy, but Shonn Greene is twice the talent Jordan ever was. If Greene can improve him ability in regards to pass protection, we've landed a keeper during the 2009 NFL draft. Now, say for example the Jets were to actually find/land an explosive talent such as a Forte, Peterson, McCoy, Jamaal Charles, Ray Rice etc, etc and guess what? Shonn Greene would make for the perfect #2 back in regards to forming a great 1-2 punch. Shonn Greene is more than a "4th quarter mop up guy" and to label him as such, is an insult to Greene himself. The man ranked 13th in rushing yards last season and only 37 rushing yards away from cracking the top 10. Had an average of 4.2 yards per carry while elite backs such as Gore and Foster had averaged of 4.3 and 4.4. Greene was also only 12 first down rushes away from cracking the top 5 (Foster had 58 1st down rushes). You don't have to consider Greene an elite back, a franchise back, or even a starter... But to consider him as being nothing more than a 4th quarter mop up guy? I begin to question your knowledge in regards to the HB position.
    Last edited by NY2FLDWC85; 06-27-2012 at 11:29 PM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Greene is not an elite back, but he will be a good back for this system. Move the chains and keep the clock running.

There were only 15 RBs to crack 1,000 yards last season, Greene was one of them. He also averaged 4.2 ypc and didn't lose a fumble in 253 carries. Greene and Peterson were the only backs with over 200 carries who didn't lose a fumble last season.

And to say he can't catch is absurd. He dropped a couple, but if he couldn't catch he wouldn't be in the league. We need to stop using that "he can't catch" phrase.

But the way some of you guys talk on here and bash Greene ... do you expect the Jets to have a 1,500 yard rusher every year? Let's be realistic. There are maybe 7-8 elite backs in the league, the rest are guys like Greene. And how many yards do you think Ray Rice or Chris Johnson would have had with that Jets line last season?

Greene's contract is up at the end of the year, if he doesn't get it done in 2012, the Jets move on.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BamaJets;4502499]Greene is not an elite back, but he will be a good back for this system. Move the chains and keep the clock running.

There were only 15 RBs to crack 1,000 yards last season, Greene was one of them. He also averaged 4.2 ypc and didn't lose a fumble in 253 carries. Greene and Peterson were the only backs with over 200 carries who didn't lose a fumble last season.

And to say he can't catch is absurd. He dropped a couple, but if he couldn't catch he wouldn't be in the league. We need to stop using that "he can't catch" phrase.

But the way some of you guys talk on here and bash Greene ... do you expect the Jets to have a 1,500 yard rusher every year? Let's be realistic. There are maybe 7-8 elite backs in the league, the rest are guys like Greene. And how many yards do you think Ray Rice or Chris Johnson would have had with that Jets line last season?

Greene's contract is up at the end of the year, if he doesn't get it done in 2012, the Jets move on.[/QUOTE]

I don't expect to have a 1500 yard back every year. I do think that if the centerpiece of your offense is RB, the position needs to scare the opposing team's defense. ( ground & pound ) ... Otherwise it's like putting a square peg in a round hole. Maybe Greene is a better RB than Sanchez is a QB .. Dunno.

Anyway ... I liked Greene coming out ... Maybe he has a great year .. I'm hoping.
    Last edited by Dunnie; 06-28-2012 at 05:39 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BamaJets;4502499]Greene is not an elite back, but he will be a good back for this system. Move the chains and keep the clock running.

Greene's contract is up at the end of the year, if he doesn't get it done in 2012, the Jets move on.[/QUOTE]

Good post, it's refreshing to see a post from an informed fan, and not the usual rhetoric on this board by our resident trolls..

Speaking of trolls, where is Tx with all of that evidence he has been ducking from?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=NY2FLDWC85;4502452]

LaMont Jordan was a 4th quarter mop up guy, but Shonn Greene is twice the talent Jordan ever was.

[/QUOTE]

You don't have a clue about the game of football, do you?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=NY2FLDWC85;4502452]I'll agree to disagree. LaMont Jordan was a 4th quarter mop up guy, but Shonn Greene is twice the talent Jordan ever was. If Greene can improve him ability in regards to pass protection, we've landed a keeper during the 2009 NFL draft. Now, say for example the Jets were to actually find/land an explosive talent such as a Forte, Peterson, McCoy, Jamaal Charles, Ray Rice etc, etc and guess what? Shonn Greene would make for the perfect #2 back in regards to forming a great 1-2 punch. Shonn Greene is more than a "4th quarter mop up guy" and to label him as such, is an insult to Greene himself. The man ranked 13th in rushing yards last season and only 37 rushing yards away from cracking the top 10. Had an average of 4.2 yards per carry while elite backs such as Gore and Foster had averaged of 4.3 and 4.4. Greene was also only 12 first down rushes away from cracking the top 5 (Foster had 58 1st down rushes). You don't have to consider Greene an elite back, a franchise back, or even a starter... But to consider him as being nothing more than a 4th quarter mop up guy? I begin to question your knowledge in regards to the HB position.[/QUOTE]

I actually think Shonn Greene is not as good as Lamont Jordan was, Lamont just never got a chance here because of Curtis.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm hoping someone else steps up to take the bulk of the carries, Shonn is too one dimensional, he is better as the change of pace back

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Mohegangreen;4502525]I actually think Shonn Greene is not as good as Lamont Jordan was, Lamont just never got a chance here because of Curtis.[/QUOTE]

Exactly.

I remember Savage screaming bloody murder on this board for the Jets to start Jordan when Martin was hurt. :yes:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;4502550]Exactly.

I remember [B]Savage [/B]screaming bloody murder on this board for the Jets to start Jordan when [B]Martin [/B]was hurt. :yes:[/QUOTE]

Oh no... You just threw up the bat signal...

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Come on Guys!!!

[B][SIZE="3"]Jordan didn't know the play book here while he was a Jet and it was the same thing that held him back when he became a Raider!!![/SIZE][/B]

Good Grief!!!:eek:

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Charlie Brown;4502571]Come on Guys!!!

[B][SIZE="3"]Jordan didn't know the play book here while he was a Jet and it was the same thing that held him back when he became a Raider!!![/SIZE][/B]

Good Grief!!!:eek:[/QUOTE]

Did he go to the same school as Ochocinco?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Savage69;4502312]Screw feature backs who is the last Bowl winning team with a feature back??[/QUOTE]
    Considering that Sanchez isn't in the same class as Rodgers, Brees, Ben, Brady, Peyton or even Eli Manning at this point (until proven otherwise), I think having a solid feature back is very important. Besides, Greene hasn't proven that he can do the job when he's sharing carries. I think RB could be the weakest position on the team right now.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Ray Ray19;4502420]Funny that you left out the first part of that same post:

Once again, you're arguing just to argue, and now, you have no real point, you just need to log off feeling that you "won" something.

It's really very simple.

Greene hasn't received the opportunity to carry the full load, and up until now, he should not have received that opportunity. I've more than laid out the flaws in his game that have contributed his playing time, and the numbers he's put up, and why the numbers haven't been greater. The argument that he is a 3 year RB and hasn't shown enough yet, is a flawed statement period, I've justified why throughout this thread. Naturally, you chalk it up as either excuses, or BS, or me not "having a point." :rolleyes:

In turn, you've come back with your usual bull****, OL rankings you don't want to justify, and really, you have no point, only that I am the one who has no point. In other words, arguing to argue, as long as you "win" the internet, you can sleep well at night.

You are the very definition of a "douche bag."[/QUOTE]
    Nice try...again Ray Ray.

I left those comments out because it was referring to 2009.

The comments I referred to were ones you were making about 2011.

Duh.

Keep spinning and flailing your arms in the water. Maybe someone will throw you a lifesaver.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Ray Ray19;4502422]Bingo.

Even then, I like having depth at RB.[/QUOTE]

Barber only had 250 carries his first 3 years.

Greene has had 546.

Not to mention, Barber's biggest issue was his propensity to put the ball on the ground. No one questioned his rushing ability.