Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Sobering Review of Shonn Greene

Banned
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;4502522]You don't have a clue about the game of football, do you?[/QUOTE]

And you really are just a troll, aren't you? You continue to troll each and every Jets fan thoughts, with one line sentences, in which consists of no insight what so ever.

Lets talk about production on the football field.

LaMont Jordan was in the league for 9 years with only one 1,000+ yard season. LaMont Jordan played 9 seasons while only putting up 3,734 rushing yards.

Shonn Greene has been in the league for 3 years with one 1,000+ yard season. Shonn Greene has played 3 seasons while putting up 2,360 rushing yards.

Last but not least, after leaving N.Y, LaMont Jordan got his chance in Oakland and completely failed for 3 seasons. He could only put up an average of 669.3 rushing yards, 3.8 yards per carry and 4.6 TD's per season. After leaving Oakland he once again, fell flat on his face with Denver and New England, only averaging 224.5 rushing yards and 2 rushing TD's per season during his final two years of his injury prone/miserable career. He couldn't handle the work load. He's the definition of an injury prone back who couldn't start.

Anyone who would take LaMont Jordan over Shonn Greene, in my eyes, would be considered a damn fool.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Ray Ray19;4502422]
    It's been the main point of my argument against those trashing Greene.

He hasn't received a full opportunity to carry the load.

[/QUOTE]
    546 carries in 3 years and 253 carries in one year (2011) isn't a fair opportunity?

I'd be curious to know how many RB's have had at least 546 carries in their first 3 seasons before "breaking out" in their 4th season.

Give me some examples. That might make me change my mind.

All Pro
    Shawn Greene was out of shape last year. He did get better as the year went on, but like I said before. He doesn't have good vision so he needs to pick a hole even if it's the wrong one and plow through it. He plays so much smaller than he is is because he hesitates. So there you go. If he's used the right way, and if he gets himself in shape, he will be a "good" power back. Then you still need someone for third down. So that's a lot of if's for good. We really need someone else to step up, and to bring in a vet, if only for passing situations. He has improved his hands. I'll give him that, but he looks lost in blitz pickups.

[QUOTE=NY2FLDWC85;4502656]And you really are just a troll, aren't you? You continue to troll each and every Jets fan thoughts, with one line sentences, in which consists of no insight what so ever.

LaMont Jordan was in the league for 9 years with only one 1,000+ yard season. LaMont Jordan played 9 seasons while only putting up 3,734 rushing yards.

Shonn Greene has been in the league for 3 years with one 1,000+ yard season. Shonn Greene has played 3 seasons while putting up 2,360 rushing yards.

Last but not least, after leaving N.Y, LaMont Jordan got his chance in Oakland and completely failed for 3 seasons. He could only put up an average of 669.3 rushing yards, 3.8 yards per carry and 4.6 TD's per season. After leaving Oakland he once again, fell flat on his face with Denver and New England, only averaging 224.5 rushing yards and 2 rushing TD's per season during his final two years of his injury prone/miserable career. He couldn't handle the work load. He's the definition of an injury prone back who couldn't start.

Anyone who would take LaMont Jordan over Shonn Greene, in my eyes, would be considered a damn fool.[/QUOTE]

I'd take a healthy LaMonte Jordan over Shonn Green in a second.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=NY's stepchild;4502666]Shawn Greene was out of shape last year. He did get better as the year went on, but like I said before. He doesn't have good vision so he needs to pick a hole even if it's the wrong one and plow through it. He plays so much smaller than he is is because he hesitates. So there you go. If he's used the right way, and if he gets himself in shape, he will be a "good" power back. Then you still need someone for third down. So that's a lot of if's for good. We really need someone else to step up, and to bring in a vet, if only for passing situations. He has improved his hands. I'll give him that, but he looks lost in blitz pickups.[/QUOTE]
    I agree and I've said before that I have to believe the Jets will sign a veteran RB sometime before the season starts. If so, I predict that Powell will be a goner unless Gannaway stinks it up worse..

[QUOTE=NY2FLDWC85;4502656]And you really are just a troll, aren't you? You continue to troll each and every Jets fan thoughts, with one line sentences, in which consists of no insight what so ever.

Anyone who would take LaMont Jordan over Shonn Greene, in my eyes, would be considered a damn fool.[/QUOTE]

Everyone failed in Oakland back then, including Randy Moss, the Raiders became a joke during those years

[QUOTE=Jordy;4502658]546 carries in 3 years and 253 carries in one year (2011) isn't a fair opportunity?

I'd be curious to know how many RB's have had at least 546 carries in their first 3 seasons before "breaking out" in their 4th season.

Give me some examples. That might make me change my mind.[/QUOTE]

So other than being a complete douche, what exactly are you arguing?

I never said anything about Greene's opportunities being fair or unfair

I said to evaluate Green's performance to date based on 3 years of work is flawed given his workload in each of the three years, especially the first two years, last year not so much.

I've pointed out his flaws. IMO, it has nothing to do with his vision, which you've been emphatic about, you're wrong, but we can agree to disagree.

So what it is it exactly?

[QUOTE=Jordy;4502636]Nice try...again Ray Ray.

I left those comments out because it was referring to 2009.

The comments I referred to were ones you were making about 2011.

Duh.

Keep spinning and flailing your arms in the water. Maybe someone will throw you a lifesaver.[/QUOTE]

There is nothing to spin, I've been talking about and referring to all 3 years.

I don't need a life saver.

You apparently need to get laid, because you are an insufferable tool whenever confronted.

It's ok that people disagree with you, you don't need to be a jackass about it.

Banned
    [QUOTE=Gastineau99;4502670]I'd take a healthy LaMonte Jordan over Shonn Green in a second.[/QUOTE]

Most knowledgeable football fans would.

Only blind homers would take Green over Jordan.

[QUOTE=PatsFanTX;4502550]Exactly.

I remember Savage screaming bloody murder on this board for the Jets to start Jordan when Martin was hurt. :yes:[/QUOTE]

Still waiting for that evidence.... :rolleyes:

All Pro
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;4502700]Most knowledgeable football fans would.

Only blind homers would take Green over Jordan.[/QUOTE]

Now you're disparaging the blind? You really have no class. I always wondered why a Texan would gravitate to the Patriots. I guess they share your sense of morality.

If Shonn Greene is our workhorse back this year we won't have a running game, its that simple.

I understand rooting for the laundry but this guy is just not the answere at RB and we need to look elsewhere fast.

[QUOTE=Tony Danza;4502707][B]If Shonn Greene is our workhorse back this year we won't have a running game, its that simple.[/B]

I understand rooting for the laundry but this guy is just not the answere at RB and we need to look elsewhere fast.[/QUOTE]

:rolleyes:

[QUOTE=Tony Danza;4502707]If Shonn Greene is our workhorse back this year we won't have a running game, its that simple.

I understand rooting for the laundry but this guy is just not the answere at RB and we need to look elsewhere fast.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, he's good as a change of pace bull rusher but we need a guy that can make the first guy miss and make something out of nothing, hopefully Ganaway can step up or McKnight(but he's a fumbler so far)

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Ray Ray19;4502699]There is nothing to spin, I've been talking about and referring to all 3 years.

I don't need a life saver.

You apparently need to get laid, because you are an insufferable tool whenever confronted.

It's ok that people disagree with you, you don't need to be a jackass about it.[/QUOTE]
    You're going to make me post it yet again?

You are the one who needs to get laid Ray. There's no doubt.

Ray Ray: [B]it hurt the running game in the process and in play-action, still, Greene put up over 1,000 yds and didn't get all of [U]the carries[/U] with LT [U]still getting a significant portion of the workload[/U][/B][U][B]."[/B][/U]

This comment of yours was specifically related to 2011. Go re-read your post.

First you said you were talking about receptions AND carries.

I posted this to show that you were talking only about carries. You ignored that and tried to back-peddle.

Now you're trying to spin it to sound as if you were talking about all 3 years.

You weren't. You were only referring to 2011 in that paragraph.

Stop arguing about something that you are wrong about.

Not to mention, no one other than you thinks that Greene has good vision.

You are an insufferable homer.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Ray Ray19;4502695]I said to evaluate Green's performance to date based on 3 years of work is flawed given his workload in each of the three years, especially the first two years, last year not so much.

[/QUOTE]

You don't think 546 carries in 3 years is a significant workload? Enough to evaluate a RB?

Seriously?

Especially last year when Greene had more than 3 times the carries that LT had?

Get a clue.

Banned
    [QUOTE=Jordy;4502658] I'd be curious to know how many RB's have had at least 546 carries in their first 3 seasons before "breaking out" in their 4th season.

Give me some examples. That might make me change my mind.[/QUOTE]

Antowain Smith is one example. During his first 4 years in the league he combined for 760 rushing attempts with an average of 755.5 rushing yards/6.5 TD's per season before breaking out during his 5th year with 1,157 rushing yards and 12 rushing TD's. I'd consider that a breakout season.

Robert Smith of the Vikings is another example, not exactly 546 carries but Robert Smith combined for 414 rushing attempts during his first 4 years in the league with an average of 472.2 rushing yards/2.75 TD's per season before breaking out during his 5th season, rushing for 1,266 yards, 6 TD's with an average of 5.5 yards per carry. He then went on to have an outstanding football career during the 3 seasons to follow.

Thomas Jones of the Cardinals/Bucs would be yet another example. 499 rushing attempts during his first 4 seasons with an average of 472.7 rushing yards/3 rushing TD's per season before breaking out during his 5th year in the league with Chicago, rushing for 948 yards and 7 TD's. I'd consider that a breakout season, especially considering the fact that Thomas Jones went on to rush for 5 consecutive 1,000+ yard seasons with 43 rushing TD's over the next 5 years.

Priest Holmes of the Ravens could be used as another example. 459 rushing attempts during his first 3 years in the league for an average of 700 rushing yards/3 TD's/195 receiving yards per season before breaking out during his 4th year in the league with KC, rushing for 1,555 rushing yards/8 TD's/614 receiving yards.

These are only a couple of examples of backs that broke out during either their 4th or 5th seasons in the league...

Shonn Greene has been on the right track. Was only 37 yards from cracking the top 10 in regards to rushing yards last season and only 12 rushing first downs from cracking the top 5 in runs resulting in 1st downs. Not bad for a 1st year starter/3rd year player. He was only 3 rushing TD's away from cracking the top 10 in that category as well. Who's to say that Greene can't/doesn't rank top 10 in rushing yards, rushing TD's and rushes resulting in 1st downs during this up coming season?
    Last edited by NY2FLDWC85; 06-28-2012 at 11:25 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite;4502552]Oh no... [B]You just threw up the bat signa[/B]l...[/QUOTE]

Not really but consider this.. If Martin's load was less he would have been fresher come playoff time would he not?? Hurt he was still allowed to compile was that for the benefit of the team or Cumar?? Jordan avg 4 carries a game in his time with the Jets. I always preferred the 2 or even 3 back system that keeps the backs fresh and the D off balance.. Martin should have Hackett not Parcells introduce him at the HOF. Before Hackett Martin didn't avg 4 ypc for half of his first 6 years in the league.. With Hackett his old college coach he was never under 4 in the time he was OC.. 3rd and a mile you can compile with a smile..:P
    Our best Running game was with Snell/Boozer,Riggens/Boozer,Freeman/ Hector, TJ/ Greene.. Nuff said..
    Last edited by Savage69; 06-28-2012 at 11:36 AM.

[QUOTE=NY2FLDWC85;4502735]Antowain Smith is one example. During his first 4 years in the league he combined for 760 rushing attempts with an average of 755.5 rushing yards/6.5 TD's per season before breaking out during his 5th year with 1,157 rushing yards and 12 rushing TD's. I'd consider that a breakout season.

Robert Smith of the Vikings is another example, not exactly 546 carries but Robert Smith combined for 414 rushing attempts during his first 4 years in the league with an average of 472.2 rushing yards/2.75 TD's per season before breaking out during his 5th season, rushing for 1,266 yards, 6 TD's with an average of 5.5 yards per carry. He then went on to have an outstanding football career during the 3 seasons to follow.

Thomas Jones of the Cardinals/Bucs would be yet another example. 499 rushing attempts during his first 4 seasons with an average of 472.7 rushing yards/3 rushing TD's per season before breaking out during his 5th year in the league with Chicago, rushing for 948 yards and 7 TD's. I'd consider that a breakout season, especially considering the fact that Thomas Jones went on to rush for 5 consecutive 1,000+ yard seasons with 43 rushing TD's over the next 5 years.

Priest Holmes of the Ravens could be used as another example. 459 rushing attempts during his first 3 years in the league for an average of 700 rushing yards/3 TD's/195 receiving yards per season before breaking out during his 4th year in the league with KC, rushing for 1,555 rushing yards/8 TD's/614 receiving yards.

These are only a couple of examples of backs that broke out during either their 4th or 5th seasons in the league...

Shonn Greene has been on the right track. Was only 37 yards from cracking the top 10 in regards to rushing yards last season and only 12 rushing first downs from cracking the top 5 in runs resulting in 1st downs. Not bad for a 1st year starter/3rd year player. He was only 3 rushing TD's away from cracking the top 10 in that category as well. Who's to say that Greene can't/doesn't rank top 10 in rushing yards, rushing TD's and rushes resulting in 1st downs during this up coming season?[/QUOTE]

Not all these guys had 546 carries through the first 3 seasons, but they were all late bloomers when it came to having their best seasons: Fred Jackson, Cedric Benson, Michael Bush, Reggie Bush (6 seasons), Darren Sproles

Banned
    [QUOTE=Gastineau99;4502670]I'd take a healthy LaMonte Jordan over Shonn Green in a second.[/QUOTE]

That's the problem. LaMont Jordan was never healthy, which is why you can't rate him ahead of Shonn Greene. Durability is a huge aspect when ranking a running back, and LaMont Jordan was as injury prone as they come. After leaving the Jets, Jordan went on to miss a whopping 30 games during his final 5 years in the league. He was never able to carry a work load. Never. During his final 4 seasons in the league? He only put up 114, 144, 80 and 25 rushing attempts per season... Still missed 26 games during those last 4 years of breaking down. It was sad to see such an injury prone player.

There's multiple reason(s) on why it took LaMont Jordan 9 years to rush for only 3,734 rushing yards before breaking down and having to call it quits. Only one, 1,000+ yards season during 9 years of play. Shonn Greene on the other hand? Greene has already put up 2,360 rushing yards with one, 1,000+ yard season after only 3 years of play.

I'm taking Shonn Greene over LaMont Jordan any day of the week and twice on gameday.