Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Sobering Review of Shonn Greene

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    In the end, we all want him to rush for 1,500 yards.

Let's hope he takes that step this year. Besides all the discussion of if he could or not, he added over 200 total yards from his first to second year, and over 300 yards from his second to third year.

I'll take the 400 yards this year, and have him just under 1,500. That = playoffs.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Ray Ray19;4502099]Ok...

What does "Greene couldn't deliver a hit on a defender and stay in the game" mean? What games or playing time did Greene miss last year?

We stunk when RB's got to the second level because defenses did not respect our passing game.[/QUOTE]

Greene was coming out of games hurt all the time last year are you denying that?

If there is no respect for the passing game and defenses are playing up you would expect when our running backs got to the second level there would be open field all over the place. We sucked when we got to the second level last year.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Raider9175;4501956]Terrance Ganaway isn't as good a back as Shonn Greene. Terrance Ganaway it takes him a long time for him to reach top speed. Against the speed of Nfl defenses that can be a serious problem.

Right now without a doubt Shonn Greene is the best back Jets have on their roster. Ideally you might want a better all round RB than Greene, but Greene is still a nice complement RB to that number 1 Rb type. Whenever you find that RB.[/QUOTE]

Right now, Greene is better by default. Let's see what happens when the lights go on.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=parafly;4502123]Right now, Greene is better by default. [B]Let's see what happens when the lights go on.[/B][/QUOTE]

In Greene's defense, this hasn't happened yet for him (as a featured back).

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;4502065]Again, that means absolutely nothing for a 3-year veteran RB.[/QUOTE]

Shonn Greene has actually been a very productive back for the Jets.

In 2009 Shonn Greene was a rookie backup behind veteran Thomas Jones. He rushed for 540 yards off of only 108 rushing attempts and two rushing TD's. An average of 5.0 yards per carry. Thomas Jones rushed the football 310 times for 1,119 yards and 14 TD's. An average of 3.6 yards per carry.

In 2010 Shonn Greene was a 2nd year backup behind a future HOF back in Tomlinson. Greene rushed for 756 rushing yards off of 185 rushing attempts and two rushing TD's. An average of 4.1 yards per carry. L.T rushed the football 210 times for 914 yards and 6 TD's. An average of 4.2 yards per carry.

Last year, as a 3rd year player, Greene became a feature back/starter for the first time and rushed for 1,054 off of 253 rushing attempts and 6 TD's. AN average of 4.2 yards per carry. Not bad for a first year starter behind a banged up offensive line and struggling quarterback.

I'm looking for a 1200-1400 type of season with 9+ TD's for Greene here in 2012.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Ray Ray19;4502110]I was clearly talking about opportunities, and I laid it all out for you to understand. But as usaul, when you're on the losing side of an argument, you reach up your ass for a response.[/QUOTE]

Ray Ray: "[I]Because of poor play overall in the passing game and lacking talent to stretch the field, [B]it hurt the running game in the process and in play-action, still, Greene put up over 1,000 yds and didn't get all of [U]the carries[/U] with LT [U]still getting a significant portion of the workload[/U][/B][/I][U][B]."[/B][/U]

Riight. You weren't talking just about the running game. Maybe the use of the word "carries" led me to believe that. What were you saying about ass?:rolleyes:

[QUOTE=Ray Ray19;4502110]
    Oh I have a point, but you just proved my point yet again, the only reason you are arguing, is to be on the winning side of it, no matter what you have to pull out of your ass to get it.

It is funny that you couldn't be bothered to respond with facts when challenged.

I thought so...[/QUOTE]

I didn't make them up. You figure out where they came from.

Search for offensive line rankings. You do the work I did.

The point is, your point is flawed.
    Last edited by Jordy; 06-27-2012 at 03:31 PM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=NY2FLDWC85;4502127]Shonn Greene has actually been a very productive back for the Jets.

In 2009 Shonn Greene was a rookie backup behind veteran Thomas Jones. [B]He rushed for 540 yards off of only 108 rushing attempts and two rushing TD's. An average of 5.0 yards per carry. Thomas Jones rushed the football 310 times for 1,119 yards and 14 TD's. An average of 3.6 yards per carry.[/B]

In 2010 Shonn Greene was a 2nd year backup behind a future HOF back in Tomlinson. [B]Greene rushed for 756 rushing yards off of 185 rushing attempts and two rushing TD's. An average of 4.1 yards per carry. L.T rushed the football 210 times for 914 yards and 6 TD's. An average of 4.2 yards per carry.
    [/B]
    Last year, as a 3rd year player, Greene became a feature back/starter for the first time and [B]rushed for 1,054 off of 253 rushing attempts and 6 TD's. AN average of 4.2 yards per carry[/B]. Not bad for a first year starter behind a banged up offensive line and struggling quarterback.

I'm looking for a 1200-1400 type of season with 9+ TD's for Greene here in 2012.[/QUOTE]

You just can't help yourself, can you?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=NY2FLDWC85;4502127]Shonn Greene has actually been a very productive back for the Jets.[/QUOTE]

Productive is a very subjective and relative term. Cotchery was a productive receiver for years, but that doesn't mean we couldn't/shouldn't replace him.

If the Jets had a legitimate, above average workhorse running back the past few years, there is no doubt in my mind the offense would have been much more dynamic, less turnover prone, and scored significantly more points.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jordy;4502080]Your best post out of 952 by far.[/QUOTE]

+ 20,275 of yours ...

But thanks, I knew you'd like it - a cartoon that ran for one year in the early '60s that only you and [b]c=3[/b] are old enough to relate to.

[QUOTE]Keep up the good work. You have a future here. Well, a new one anyway. Your others were banned. :yes:[/QUOTE]

:shakehead: Really, it must suck to be a delusional paranoid schizo like you.

No wonder you're unemployed.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetrider;4502146]+ 20,275 of yours ...

But thanks, I knew you'd like it - a cartoon that ran for one year in the early '60s that only you and [B]c=3[/B] are old enough to relate to.

:shakehead: Really, it must suck to be a delusional paranoid schizo like you.

No wonder you're unemployed.[/QUOTE]

So you posted a cartoon because you thought only 2 of us could relate to it?

Got it.

LOL @ unemployed. Some of us don't work for others. :yes:

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=NY2FLDWC85;4502127]Shonn Greene has actually been a very productive back for the Jets.

In 2009 Shonn Greene was a rookie backup behind veteran Thomas Jones. He rushed for 540 yards off of only 108 rushing attempts and two rushing TD's. An average of 5.0 yards per carry. Thomas Jones rushed the football 310 times for 1,119 yards and 14 TD's. An average of 3.6 yards per carry.

In 2010 Shonn Greene was a 2nd year backup behind a future HOF back in Tomlinson. Greene rushed for 756 rushing yards off of 185 rushing attempts and two rushing TD's. An average of 4.1 yards per carry. L.T rushed the football 210 times for 914 yards and 6 TD's. An average of 4.2 yards per carry.

Last year, as a 3rd year player, Greene became a feature back/starter for the first time and rushed for 1,054 off of 253 rushing attempts and 6 TD's. AN average of 4.2 yards per carry. Not bad for a first year starter behind a banged up offensive line and struggling quarterback.

I'm looking for a 1200-1400 type of season with 9+ TD's for Greene here in 2012.[/QUOTE]

Except when Greene was a backup in 09 the Jets ran the ball 607 times, in 10 when he was a backup they ran the ball 534 times and last year as the feature back the team ran the ball 443 times. Greene couldn't carry the load of a feature back.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't care what Greene's ypc is. I've said this a few times since the season ended: Greene gives you nothing more than what the O-line provides. If our line wasn't so good at preventing runs for negative yards, Greene's ypc would be under 4. He also breaks long runs at a lower rate than almost any other starter in the league.

This is a good guideline to use when evaluating the run game:

Runs for negative yards up to 5 yards: Offensive line

Runs for 5-10 yards: 50/50, line and RB

10+ yards: this is where you see the difference between running backs. The best ones are always near the top of the league in 10+ yard runs, even when they play behind bad offensive lines. It's the runs when they're stopped behind the LOS that kill a back's ypc.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's also worth noting that Greene was supposed to be the feature back in 2010 -- he just underperformed and LaDanian took his spot by week 2.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=gunnails;4500751]Greene isn't that bad, not that good either, kinda of average overall.

He is young and cheap, that helps his case quite a bit.[/QUOTE]

Agree

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Austin;4502195]It's also worth noting that Greene was supposed to be the feature back in 2010 -- he just underperformed and LaDanian took his spot by week 2.[/QUOTE]

Because he came in out of shape and spent way too much time at a local strip club. I won't mention the exact location, but he was spotted there frequently before 2010, and during.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Winstonbiggs;4502169]Except when Greene was a backup in 09 the Jets ran the ball 607 times, in 10 when he was a backup they ran the ball 534 times and last year as the feature back the team ran the ball 443 times. Greene couldn't carry the load of a feature back.[/QUOTE]
    Greene has been fragile.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=124;4502285]Because he came in out of shape and spent way too much time at a local strip club. I won't mention the exact location, but he was spotted there frequently before 2010, and during.[/QUOTE]

Were you with Ron Swanson too when he uncovered the great Wilkerson scoop????

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Winstonbiggs;4502169]Except when Greene was a backup in 09 the Jets ran the ball 607 times, in 10 when he was a backup they ran the ball 534 times and last year as the feature back the team ran the ball 443 times. [B]Greene couldn't carry the load of a feature back[/B].[/QUOTE]

Screw feature backs who is the last Bowl winning team with a feature back??

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wish we got someone like Stewart. I don't trust Greene to be a full time back.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;4502065]Again, that means absolutely nothing for a 3-year veteran RB.[/QUOTE]

RB ... More than any other position .... Usually show what they are in the first year ... Maybe two years at most. The comments bye Ray may prove correct ... Although I think we have seen what Greene is ... Basically ... He is a power back that does not have a good burst or vision ... And he goes down often on initial contact.