Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NFL.com: Rex vs Rob- who will lead the better defense in 2012

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Owen Reed;4501098]Rob Ryan will fail miserably and be run out of Dallas come year end.

Meanwhile, the Jets defense will be mediocre in a losing season. And Rex will throw Mike Pettine under the bus at year end and bring in his fat brother next year as Jets DC.

You know it's coming.[/QUOTE]

What evidence do you have that the defense will be mediocre?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The answer is Rex/Jets.

The Cowboys have the best player in Ware, but Revis is barely a hair below.

The DL and LB are basically a wash. But the Jets get a huge edge in the secondary. Claiborne will never be Revis and I think it would be hard for him to outperform Cro.

Jets have the better position coaches.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=John_0515;4501101]What evidence do you have that the defense will be mediocre?[/QUOTE]

What evidence do we have that it is going to be great? The defense has regressed a little every year since Rex has been here and we have lost some players. But I do think "mediocre" is inaccurate.

I wouldn't be surprised either way. I think we added some nice pieces to improve. But until I see these players perform, I am not going to assume anything.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 06-26-2012 at 11:57 AM.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;4500975]The Pats averaged 428 yards a game and averaged 32.1 points per game.

I'd love to hear his definition of "explosive". :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

I was puzzled by that statement also.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    LOL

There's absolutely nothing to suggest that Rob will field a better defense than Rex.

Our offense had our defense sucking wind by the 3rd quarter in almost every game last season...and they still finished in the Top 5.

Add in guys like Coples, Landry, and Bell...and I find it hard to believe that we'll finish any less than 3rd in total defense.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Pats offense isn't "explosive" by the traditional definition. Rather, it is a painfully efficient, well-tuned machine.

By "explosive" he means "big play". Like the 50 yd bombs they used to throw when they had Moss.

But what the exec failed to realize is that the Pats can throw a 10 yd pass to Welker, Hernandez or Gronk and that can turn into a 50 yd play. The ball doesn't need to travel 50 yds in the air to have a big play for the Pats.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The consensus seems to be that

A) Rex and his staff are better than Rob and his staff
    B) Overall the Cowboys have better personel, particularly at linebacker
    C) Everyone is all over the Cowboys nuts because of their offseason moves

I'm not sure I buy it. Rex's defense has been better than Rob's every year and has never been worse than what, 6th?

Okay, Calvin Pace, Bryan Thomas, and Bart Scott are old and slow. We get it. I'd still say there's a pretty serious lack of respect there...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Cowboys look good every year, and every year they outclass the league, and every year you find out that looking good, and having the best players does not win games. Teams win games...but they look really good.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think this should even be a question. When was the last time the Cowboys or Browns defense scared anybody???