Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NFL.com: Rex vs Rob- who will lead the better defense in 2012

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

NFL.com: Rex vs Rob- who will lead the better defense in 2012

[url]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82a1a4ff/article/rob-ryan-vs-rex-ryan-who-will-lead-better-defense-in-2012?module=HP11_content_stream[/url]
    [QUOTE]Before those pesky Harbaughs stole their thunder, Rex and Rob Ryan were the most recognizable set of coaching brothers in the National Football League.

Rex is entering his fourth season as head coach of the New York Jets, while this is Rob's second year coordinating the Dallas Cowboys' defense. The Jets and Cowboys both failed to earn a playoff berth last season and Buddy Ryan's sons will be facing an incredible amount of pressure to help their respective teams avoid that same fate in 2012.

Rex Ryan vs. Rob Ryan
    Year Rex Ryan (overall defense ranking) Rob Ryan (overall defense ranking)
    2011 Jets HC (5th) Cowboys DC (14th)
    2010 Jets HC (3rd) Browns DC (22nd)
    2009 Jets HC (1st) Browns DC (31st)
    2008 Ravens DC (2nd) Raiders DC (27th)
    2007 Ravens DC (6th) Raiders DC (22nd)
    2006 Ravens DC (1st) Raiders DC (3rd)
    2005 Ravens DC (5th) Raiders DC (27th)
    2004 (not coordinator) Raiders DC (30th)
    *Average ranking of Rex Ryan defense is 3.29; average ranking of Rob Ryan defense is 22.0

One interesting subplot: Rob Ryan has never led a defense that has bested his twin's unit over the past eights seasons, as the table on the right shows.

I reached out to 15 different NFL executives or scouts to get their opinion on which brother would be orchestrating the better defense in 2012. Here is what each of them had to say:

1. AFC Executive: "[Morris] Claiborne will be a big help. Sean Lee is a stud and everyone knows how good [DeMarcus] Ware is. The Jets are getting old and they don't have the young talent to replace those guys." Pick: Cowboys

2. NFC Executive: "I love (the Cowboys') offseason additions in both free agency and the draft." Pick: Cowboys

3. NFC Executive: "Rex is a better coach than his brother. The Jets play in a division without an explosive offense. Even New England isn't explosive. They use a short, intermediate-style passing game. The Jets' ball-control offense will shorten games and limit the amount of points and yards their defense allows." Pick: Jets

4. AFC Scout: "(The Cowboys) have always had the front seven and now they've finally shored up their holes in the secondary." Pick: Cowboys

Brooks: Jets' new-look defense
    The Jets have discussed switching from a 3-4 defense to a 4-3. Bucky Brooks says this makes perfect sense. More ...
    5. NFC Scout: "Aside from [Darrelle] Revis, the Cowboys' secondary is much better and deeper than the Jets'. Also, the Cowboys have that one special rusher (Ware) that the Jets lack." Pick: Cowboys

6. NFC Executive: "The Cowboys have a better combination of coverage and edge pass rushers. Claiborne will be a huge addition. The Jets' pass rush doesn't scare me and that kid they picked from North Carolina (Quinton Coples) isn't the answer." Pick: Cowboys

7. NFC Executive: "I love DeMarcus Ware, and this rookie class will help them immediately." Pick: Cowboys

8. NFC Scout: "The Cowboys are much improved at cornerback, and I don't see how the Jets are going to generate a consistent pass rush. The Cowboys have more difference makers in their front seven." Pick: Cowboys

9. AFC Scout: "The front seven and secondary of each team is pretty equal, but the Cowboys are much better at linebacker." Pick: Cowboys

Rapoport: Fixing Dallas' defense
    The Cowboys' 'D' was upsetting in 2011. Rob Ryan points the finger at himself, but was he to blame? Ian Rapoport reports. More ...
    10. NFC Scout: "Dallas should be much better in the second year of Rob Ryan's scheme. They can get to the quarterback much better than the Jets." Pick: Cowboys

11. AFC Executive: "I'll take Rex and (defensive coordinator) Mike Pettine over Rob Ryan, even though DeMarcus Ware is the best player on either defense." Pick: Jets

12. NFC Scout: "Dallas has more defensive players that scare you as an opponent. Their linebackers are much better." Pick: Cowboys

13. NFC Scout: "The Cowboys have a better pass rush and they upgraded their secondary." Pick: Cowboys

14. AFC Scout: "The Jets have a better coaching staff and they are more physical than the Cowboys." Pick: Jets

15. AFC Scout: "The Cowboys have better personnel. Really not much of a debate in terms of overall talent." Pick: Cowboys

Final results
    Rob Ryan's Dallas defense: 12 votes.

Rex Ryan's New York defense: 3 votes.

I didn't expect such a landslide result in favor of Rob Ryan and the Cowboys' defense. The offseason additions of cornerbacks Brandon Carr and Claiborne have convinced the overwhelming majority of these executives and scouts that the Cowboys' defense will be greatly improved in 2012. The Jets supporters are basing their decision more on coaching and divisional opponents than the actual personnel on the field.

In my opinion, I believe these are both top-10 defenses in 2012. The Cowboys have the better defensive line and linebacker unit, but I give the Jets' cornerback duo the edge over the Cowboys' new additions. The safety position is a major concern for both teams. I would give the slight overall edge to the Cowboys because of their ability to get after the quarterback. As I wrote the other day, rushing the passer has become the key element in championship defense.

This might be the season Rob finally earns bragging rights over his brother.[/QUOTE]

Follow Daniel Jeremiah on Twitter @MoveTheSticks

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Dumbasses, the Jets defense is loaded, won't finish any worse than 3rd. The comment about the Pats offense is a real head scratcher too. The word "explosive" doesn't mean anything, they put up a ton of points.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    rex>rob. that's all there is to it.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ridiculous. Every year the Cowboys are going to the Super bowl, and every year they fail miserably. Amazing that no one ever learns from their mistakes. With Robs track record they'll be lucky to stay in the top 15. I like how the Jets are getting older, but the cowboys aren't.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd say the Jets over Cowboys defense without question. Not only because of the coaches, but because of the overall talent. But yeah, I'm not sure if Rob Ryan has ever coached a defense that's ranked ahead of his brother Rex Ryan's defense. Just double checked, and no, he hasn't.

Rex had had defensive rankings of 1st, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 5th and 6th.

Rob had had defensive rankings of 3rd, 14th, 22nd, 22nd, 27th, 27th, 30th and 31st.

But in reality, does any of this really matter heading into the 2012 season? Dallas doesn't play the Jets this year. The Cowboys aren't playing a single AFC East opponent this season. Although they do face off against 4 AFC teams in the Ravens, Steelers, Browns and Bengals... They're pretty much irrelevant to the Jets here in 2012.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pats were 1st in pts allowed and 7th in yards in 2003 when Rob Ryan was the linebackers coach. I wonder if Rob compares his 2 tainted rings to his bro's 1 ring. :) You think they fight about it?
    Last edited by ASG0531; 06-26-2012 at 01:26 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    No I don't think Rob brags to loudly about his lbs coach rings. He is not an idiot

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Daniel Jeremiah ‏@MoveTheSticks
    [QUOTE]Rex is the most creative football mind I've ever been around. I spent 4 yrs with him in BAL and he came up with innovative stuff each year[/QUOTE]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rob Ryan is a horrible defensive coordinator. If his last name wasnt ryan, he wouldnt have a job.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;4500967]Joe W. Namath is a horrible SOJF Poster at JI. If his last name wasnt Namath, he wouldnt have a job.[/QUOTE]

fixed

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;4500820]The comment about the Pats offense is a real head scratcher too. The word "explosive" doesn't mean anything, they put up a ton of points.[/QUOTE]

The Pats averaged 428 yards a game and averaged 32.1 points per game.

I'd love to hear his definition of "explosive". :rolleyes:

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=MDL_JET;4500831]rex>rob. that's all there is to it.[/QUOTE]

Exactly the Jets defense isn't great because of the talent, Rex Ryan a great defensive coach with excellent scheme design. (ROB Ryan can't hold his brother jock strap there) SO when you have that I would go with that over defensive talent every time.

The Cowboys do have much better talent on defense than the Jets. They just don't have anyone as good calling and making the adjustments. So if you ask me the Jets defense should be ranked higher than the cowboys defense.

For the Posters who think Jets have great talent on defense. Where is it beside Cb. Where would you rate their Dline right now. Their LB corp. Their safeties. Who cares it all about results and since Rex Ryan been coach that unit has been consistent year in and year out, despite having glaring holes on defense.
    Last edited by Raider9175; 06-26-2012 at 09:17 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Honestly, they should change the criteria for how they rank defenses. Basing it just on yards allowed is not an accurate measure of how a defense is performing. I think they should use 3 categories and average them out. Use yards allowed, points allowed and turnovers forced. Take the rankings from each and average them out. I think it will be a more accurate measure of a defenses performance.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's a good idea. Just measuring by the yards doesn't prove how effective a defense is.

By the way Rex > Rob.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=MDL_JET;4500788][url]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82a1a4ff/article/rob-ryan-vs-rex-ryan-who-will-lead-better-defense-in-2012?module=HP11_content_stream[/url]

13. NFC Scout: "The Cowboys have a better pass rush and they upgraded their secondary." Pick: Cowboys

14. AFC Scout: "The Jets have a better coaching staff and they are more physical than the Cowboys." Pick: Jets

Follow Daniel Jeremiah on Twitter @MoveTheSticks[/QUOTE]

Hard to argue these two points. The way that the Jets catapult this defense is by demonstrating a pass rush, and the scheme changes the CS has been making might just lead to that.

The Jets don't have a Ware, but they do have three players (Coples, Wilkerson & Maybin) that have the ability to surprise this year.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sec.101row23;4500978]Honestly, they should change the criteria for how they rank defenses. Basing it just on yards allowed is not an accurate measure of how a defense is performing. I think they should use 3 categories and average them out. Use yards allowed, points allowed and turnovers forced. Take the rankings from each and average them out. I think it will be a more accurate measure of a defenses performance.[/QUOTE]

I did it, that would put the Jets at 6th in the league and the Patriots at 17th (if my math is correct, always subject to review).

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Have you ever watched Rob Ryan's defenses play? They play way more zone than Rex does, and the blitz packages are not as complicated. Rob Ryan dumbs his defense down, while Rex demands more from his players.

Rex has evolved the defense this year. We're all going to be pleasantly surprised.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;4500820]Dumbasses, the Jets defense is loaded, won't finish any worse than 3rd. The comment about the Pats offense is a real head scratcher too. The word "explosive" doesn't mean anything, they put up a ton of points.[/QUOTE]

... this! :yes: ...

... discounting us having the pats 2x a year in the division is just plain stupid ...

... not taking into account that rob has never matched the performance of his brothers D is even moreso ...

l_j_r

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yardage is about the best way. How can you use points allowed, when so much depends on field position, offensive turnovers, and number of plays/time of possession. Also it's funny how important defensive coaching is, but offensively it's all on the players. We'll just see how good our defense is with a consistent offense.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rob Ryan will fail miserably and be run out of Dallas come year end.

Meanwhile, the Jets defense will be mediocre in a losing season. And Rex will throw Mike Pettine under the bus at year end and bring in his fat brother next year as Jets DC.

You know it's coming.