Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A bet against Sanchez making the pro bowl ...

A bet against Sanchez making the pro bowl ...

Please just help me here. I took a solid bet against my dude who's a huge Steelers fan and he's one of the most unbias folks I've ever met. He says Sanchez will make the pro bowl this year and Jets will go 10-6 and make the playoff's. Now I normally wouldn't start a thread based on this but this kid has been correct about the most FAR-FETCHED things ever and after agreeing to the bet I questioning my decision. My bet is against Sanchez being in the pro bowl no matter what even if he's a sub/thrown in cause someone is either in superbowl or someone got injured. Please my fellow Jet fans and Pat trolls reassure me how I'm making a solid bet against Sanchez not making the pro bowl. I mean you can't predict these things but what the hell would have to happen for him to actually make it?

Now let me say this. I think Sanchez will have a decent year and I'm not against the Jets even possibly being a surprise elite team. I think he's capable of being a solid starter but with the focus on the running attack and the weapons around him I just don't see how he can make the pro bowl.
    Last edited by LadainianIMnotDONE; 06-26-2012 at 06:27 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    you are cooked

The QB of the team that goes at least 14-2 just about always gets selected to the probowl

And after the Jets win the AFC Championship and then hoist the Lombardi in NOLA in February, it will be a bad bet for the next 10 seasons too

All League
    hope you lose.

Are they even going to have the pro bowl this year?

With a shift in emphasis to the running game, that is one thing in your favor,
    If Sanchez has even a decent season, the NY media market will work against you.

Brady and Manning won't go, so that is two more seats. But according to SG3
    the jets will be playing the next week so he wont be able to go as a sub
    Last edited by patman; 06-26-2012 at 07:01 AM.

Unless you bet you'd attend a Jets-Steelers game in a Steelers jersey and no pants what's to worry about?

I think we are going to have a solid year but that it will take till 2013 to really gel the new offense and grow our young guys. 10-6 probably but that's not pro-bowl time.

[QUOTE=Woody56;4500889]hope you lose.[/QUOTE]

thats a win win right?

All Pro
    I have to agree. It is possible he makes the pro bowl with the new offense, but if he does, were 12-4

All Pro
    Pro Bowl voting is more on reputation than production. There are many more AFC QB's with a better reputation than Sanchez. (Heck, even Tebow made the Top 100 players list - maybe he'll make the Pro Bowl too? :P).

Only way to overcome reputation is to have a phenomenal year (either phenomenally GOOD to overtake players who get in on reputation, or phenomenally BAD to get dropped down the list).

With Brady, Rivers, Manning, Schaub, Roethlisberger and even Flacco around, I don't see any way Sanchez overcomes his reputation that much this year. (And if he does people will just say it's the system not the player to knock any improvement). Plus there are some newer players in contention depending on how their teams do overall - Fitzpatrick and Dalton will get a lot of attention if their teams perform well.

You're safe as can be, You'd have a better chance of losing a bet that the sun will come up tomorrow.

feel better?;)

Hall Of Fame
    Brady
    Manning
    Big Ben
    Schaub
    Dalton
    Edit: Rivers

Does your "friend" happen to be in the market for a bridge? I have one that I've been looking to get rid of.

P.S. Nice pep-rally thread.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 06-26-2012 at 01:31 PM.

Sanchez to the pro bowl means we win the super bowl. Think about it. We were still in the playoff hunt with him falling apart. The only way he does this is if they fix the o line issues. So your are golden.

I think you did well.

Not only does Sanchez need to improve a lot to make the pro-bowl, but the Jets need to play well too as a team - beat the Pats in the division, win 12 games, etc.. That doesn’t seem too likely right now.

In addition, the jets plan to run the ball a lot and Tebow is taking some of his snaps, and they want to minimize turnovers…

so his #’s will likely be down (not-pro bowl worthy) this year based on his rep.

All League
    He should be laying you like 5-1 odds, so good bet on your part.

There was some rumbling last year when Sanchez hit 26+ total TDs that he could be in the Pro Bowl conversation, so it's not unrealistic. Unfortunately his turnover total killed him. If he fixes that, it's possible... none of the elites elect to play, so it's pretty open for the alternates, especially in the AFC.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

... bad bet ... either way you lose ...

l_j_r

With our defense, Sanchez to the pro bowl means we're going to roll over most teams we play.

[QUOTE=LadainianIMnotDONE;4500883]He says Sanchez will make the pro bowl this year[/QUOTE]

There is no chance this will happen, as I see it. None.

Even if Sanchez has the best quality-play year of his career, in the Sparano run-based system he is not going to be good enough or have enough overall production to be Pro Bowl worthy.

[QUOTE=John_0515;4501065]With our defense, Sanchez to the pro bowl means we're going to roll over most teams we play.[/QUOTE]

This is what Rex thought Sanchez was going to be like after the playoff run and why he was saying they were going to win a Superbowl.

Man was he wrong... :D

[QUOTE=DDNYjets;4500937]Brady
    Manning
    Big Ben
    Schaub
    Dalton

Does your "friend" happen to be in the market for a bridge? I have one that I've been looking to get rid of.

P.S. Nice pep-rally thread.[/QUOTE]

His whole argument was that one or 2 guys might get hurt. Manning didn't even play last year and Schaub got hurt ..... Dalton with sophmore jinx ..... Flacco will never get any credit, and that somebody is going to the superbowl while 1 or 2 guys just back out. His whole thing was "the 7th best guy can get in, tebow's sucky self was mentioned last year" .... his words not mine. I see his point and etc. This entire bet started based off a convo that he said some bums get into the pro bowl and etc and I said "i wouldn't say bums get in there" ... and 10 min later I'm putting up some good money against Sanchez making a pro bowl lol. My whole thing is that I don't even know if Sanchez could be that 7th best guy as he says ... we'll see

All League
    [QUOTE=ASG0531;4501040]There was some rumbling last year when Sanchez hit 26+ total TDs that he could be in the Pro Bowl conversation, so it's not unrealistic. Unfortunately his turnover total killed him. If he fixes that, it's possible... none of the elites elect to play, so it's pretty open for the alternates, especially in the AFC.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Last year Rivers made it with 27 TD passes, 28 overall TDs, 20 INTs and 9 fumbles while Sanchez had 26 TD passes, 32 overall TDs, 18 INTs and 10 fumbles. Rivers did have well over 1,000 more pass yards and a QB rating 10 points above Sanchez however.

Sanchez has an outside shot IMO, but more than likely will miss the roster by a spot or two. With guys like Brady, Manning, Rivers, Flacco, Schaub, Roethlisberger and even guys like Palmer and Fitzpatrick it will be tough. If say 1 of those 8 QBs suffers a long term injury, 1 makes the SB, and 1-2 decline to play due to injury or whatever, than it isnt out of the question Sanchez outperforms 2-3 of the remaining guys.......but the odds are obviously in your favor.