Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stuyvesant HS student caught cheating on standardized exam

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Stuyvesant HS student caught cheating on standardized exam

In a world where standardized test are the most important thing when it comes to the school system we now put a 16 year old as the lead story on the news and in the news paper for cheating on a test. This person's future career is all but ruined over a common adolescent mistake that has happpened in schools forever. Do you think that making this national news is the right thing to do? This is a 16 year old for gods sake! Expelled? Possibly. Suspended? All for it. Forced to take the test again? Definitly.But front page news? Nationally? Thank you George Bush and No Child Left Behind for creating such importance on standardized tests in your quest to fire teachers. Again, how exactly is this helping?

[url]http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/education/stuyvesant-high-school-caught-cheating-scandal-regents-exams-student-banned-cell-phone-distribute-answers-classmates-article-1.1102124[/url]

In a stunning new cheating scandal, a student has been forced out of the city’s top public school — Stuyvesant High — over allegations he used a cell phone to give test answers to more than 50 other students.

The student, identified in an online petition as Nayeem Ahsan, was caught photographing the citywide Spanish exam last week, the Daily News has learned.

A proctor who noticed the suspect behavior searched Ahsan’s phone and discovered the boy also took pictures of his physics and English state Regents exams — and distributed the answers to classmates, sources said.

The junior was disciplined last week and will not be returning to Stuyvesant. The city Education Department would not discuss any specifics of the ongoing probe into the student’s shenanigans.

“The allegation of cheating is under investigation,” said Education Department spokeswoman Marge Feinberg.

In an online petition at change.org, Ahsan’s fellow students demanded his reinstatement in the school.

“Nayeem Ahsan is a valued member of the Stuyesant community,” says the petition, which misspelled the name of the school. “He plays an integral role in school morale, photographing all major school events among the countless other selfless deeds he's done for the class of 2013. His absence would leave the senior class of 2013 defunct. Expulsion from his home for the last three years is an exorbitant repercussion for his mistake, Nayeem does not deserve to have his future ripped out of his hands, simply so the administration can set an example.”

The petition drew 251 signatures.

Elite Stuyvesant High School in downtown Manhattan admits just the top tier of eighth-graders who ace the city’s exam for specialized high schools.

Each year, the school ships its graduates off to top colleges, and this year it boasted a third-place finish for the prestigious Intel prize — considered a junior Nobel award for scientific achievement.

The alumni rolls read like a who’s who of nationally recognized achievers, ranging from U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder to actor Tim Robbins.

The dozens of students who may have benefited from the cheating scandal have not yet been disciplined, sources said.

Their parents have been notified.

It’s not clear whether students solicited the answers and paid Ahsan or whether he acted on his own initiative.
    Last edited by copernicus; 06-26-2012 at 08:44 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think it was more how he cheated that led to the article than that he cheated. I think it is hilarious that the tools that made the petition misspelled the name of the school! Maybe they should have had Nayeem proof read it first. The kid is getting appropriate punishment for a cheating on a major exam on this scale IMO. It will not destroy his future unless he lets it. I am sure he will get into college, he is a smart minority, and do well if he learns from his mistake.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think a 16 year old "child" knows right from wrong. :rolleyes:

Nothing wrong with learning life lessons and consequences at that age. Plenty of time for him to have a successful future if he's willing to get back up, dust himself off and work hard.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    ROFL

I love how coper likes to bring GW Bush into every "education" conversation... as if NCLB didn't have wide bipartisan support, and as if it were anything new; as if the Elementary and Secondary Education Act wasn't passed in 1965 and reauthorized continuously since then.

Yes, this poor kid. His cheating is George Bush's fault. :rolleyes:

No matter what you think of the rules, they are the rules. These kids need to take these exams, for better or for worse. There's no one responsible for this kid's behavior but himself.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetPotato;4500959]ROFL

I love how coper likes to bring GW Bush into every education conversation... as if NCLB didn't have wide bipartisan support, and as if it were anything new; as if the Elementary and Secondary Education Act wasn't passed in 1965 and reauthorized continuously since then.

Yes, this poor kid. His cheating is George Bush's fault. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

And his career is over... lol, I know that when I interview someone my first question is, "Did you ever cheat on a test in high school".

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Trades;4500961]And his career is over... lol, I know that when I interview someone my first question is, "Did you ever cheat on a test in high school".[/QUOTE]

Your right, I'm wrong, Im sure employers today dont "google" potential employees names before hiring them........

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetPotato;4500959]ROFL

I love how coper likes to bring GW Bush into every "education" conversation... as if NCLB didn't have wide bipartisan support, and as if it were anything new; as if the Elementary and Secondary Education Act wasn't passed in 1965 and reauthorized continuously since then.

Yes, this poor kid. His cheating is George Bush's fault. :rolleyes:

No matter what you think of the rules, they are the rules. These kids need to take these exams, for better or for worse. There's no one responsible for this kid's behavior but himself.[/QUOTE]

Tax money for: new schools? Ball fields? Air conditioned classrooms on 98 degree days? Smaller classroom sizes? Better resources? Noooooooo!

But TAX PAYER money for investigations of cheating on standadized tests? Definitly!........

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=copernicus;4500962]Your right, I'm wrong, Im sure employers today dont "google" potential employees names before hiring them........[/QUOTE]

I just think that no one will care. Do you really think that a candidate will be passed over for any job because of this if he has a good resume that matches the position he is looking for? He has 1 year left of High School so assuming he is going to college, it will be 5 years before he looks for his first real job. Do you really think that if this is all that is found it would stop him from getting an interview? I don't. I think it is funny that the google search will bring up this post too. I wonder if they will be reading our opinions when deciding if he is the guy to hire.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=copernicus;4500969]Tax money for: new schools? Ball fields? Air conditioned classrooms on 98 degree days? Smaller classroom sizes? Better resources? Noooooooo!

But TAX PAYER money for investigations of cheating on standadized tests? Definitly!........[/QUOTE]

It won't cost more money. The administrators at the school, usually a vice principal, is in charge of discipline (at least in my experience). I am sure he won't charge the school more money for his follow up.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=copernicus;4500962]Your right, I'm wrong, Im sure employers today dont "google" potential employees names before hiring them........[/QUOTE]

He's 16 and cheated on not one but apparently thre regents exams? That's not a "common adolescent mistake", especially for an apparently bright kid at a top school. Maybe knowing this is front page news will work as a deterrent.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=copernicus;4500947]In a world where standardized test are the most important thing when it comes to the school system we now put a 16 year old as the lead story on the news and in the news paper for cheating on a test. This person's future career is all but ruined over a common adolescent mistake that has happpened in schools forever. Do you think that making this national news is the right thing to do? This is a 16 year old for gods sake! Expelled? Possibly. Suspended? All for it. Forced to take the test again? Definitly.But front page news? Nationally? Thank you George Bush and No Child Left Behind for creating such importance on standardized tests in your quest to fire teachers. Again, how exactly is this helping?
    [/QUOTE]

You make it sound like he got caught with a few answers written on the palm of his hand. He used his cell phone to provide the test answers to 50 other students. This is a "common adolescent mistake?" I'd bet money he was cashing in on his cheating.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Trades;4500970]I just think that no one will care. Do you really think that a candidate will be passed over for any job because of this if he has a good resume that matches the position he is looking for? He has 1 year left of High School so assuming he is going to college, it will be 5 years before he looks for his first real job. Do you really think that if this is all that is found it would stop him from getting an interview? I don't. I think it is funny that the google search will bring up this post too. I wonder if they will be reading our opinions when deciding if he is the guy to hire.[/QUOTE]

National news? All over network television? Lawyers? Newspapers? This is not going to follow him?

Would you be concerned if this were your son?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=shakin318;4500974]You make it sound like he got caught with a few answers written on the palm of his hand. He used his cell phone to provide the test answers to 50 other students. This is a "common adolescent mistake?" I'd bet money he was cashing in on his cheating.[/QUOTE]

Sign of the times. Its what parents allow kids to bring to school everyday. Just another example of how difficult it is in the classroom. Technology used in devious ways that underminds the adults who are trying to educate students. But you see, this stuff is ignored, it will NEVER be a factor when the government evaluates the teacher and system.

Keep allowing Bill Gates and his foundation to be such a HUGE contributer to education with very little research about the products his company is selling. He invented something, he definitly knows what's best in a classroom!!!
    Last edited by copernicus; 06-26-2012 at 09:19 AM.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=copernicus;4500980]Sign of the times. Its what parents allow kids to bring to school everyday. Just another example of how difficult it is in the classroom. Technology used in devious ways that underminds the adults who are trying to educate students. But you see, this stuff is ignored, it will NEVER be a factor when the government evaluates the teacher and system.

Keep allowing Bill Gates and his foundation to be such a HUGE contributer to education with very little research about the products his company is selling. He invented something, he definitly knows what's best in a classroom!!![/QUOTE]

Now you're just babbling. "It will be ignored".....while complaining that "it's front page news."

And if the technology is making it easier for kids to cheat and get better grades, wouldn't that help you "when the government evaluates the teacher and the system?"

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=shakin318;4500974]I'd bet money he was cashing in on his cheating.[/QUOTE]

Bingo. I would not be surprised at all if this was the case.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Trades;4500971]It won't cost more money. The administrators at the school, usually a vice principal, is in charge of discipline (at least in my experience). I am sure he won't charge the school more money for his follow up.[/QUOTE]

It is time diverted away from all other events that could be going with a total focus on this "investigation."

My school focused on test prep for standardized exams for just about the entire school year. All resources were devoted to it and any other issues became a far second. No field trips, sports days, or assemblies. Nothing enjoyable about school. Important issues like mold and sickness in my school was totally on the "back-burner" becasause testing at the time was just too important.

Worst time to be a student in America hands down. Bush, Obama, Bloomberg, Christie, the whole bunch are to blame.........

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=copernicus;4500980]Sign of the times. Its what parents allow kids to bring to school everyday. Just another example of how difficult it is in the classroom. Technology used in devious ways that underminds the adults who are trying to educate students. But you see, this stuff is ignored, it will NEVER be a factor when the government evaluates the teacher and system.

Keep allowing Bill Gates and his foundation to be such a HUGE contributer to education with very little research about the products his company is selling. He invented something, he definitly knows what's best in a classroom!!![/QUOTE]

Youre ignoring the fact he didnt just take advantage of a technological crib sheet here - he distributed answers to tests to 50 students. Thats not isolated cheating, thats a ring, and like shakin pointed out, he may very well have been compensated, either financially or through status, "helping" his peers.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=shakin318;4500984]Now you're just babbling. "It will be ignored".....while complaining that "it's front page news."

And if the technology is making it easier for kids to cheat and get better grades, wouldn't that help you "when the government evaluates the teacher and the system?"[/QUOTE]

This is how you think we as Americans will make a better tomorrow?

With the "junk science" that the government has created when scoring these tests just to fire teachers it wont matter. The government wants to break all unions and the teachers are on the front line.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=copernicus;4500976]National news? All over network television? Lawyers? Newspapers? This is not going to follow him?

Would you be concerned if this were your son?[/QUOTE]

Yes. I'd e concerned that my son was a cheater. And that his teacher seems to blame a former President for that.

As for the Daily News, I wouldn't give a crap.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Brooklyn Jet;4500993]Youre ignoring the fact he didnt just take advantage of a technological crib sheet here - he distributed answers to tests to 50 students. Thats not isolated cheating, thats a ring, and like shakin pointed out, he may very well have been compensated, either financially or through status, "helping" his peers.[/QUOTE]

If there we weren't such a focus on standardized test scores, the need to cheat for some would be less desirable. It is criminal what the adults who have the power in education are doing to a future. Again, this is not for the kids, its all about proving that unions are bad and the worker should suffer. Teachers are on the front line. All about the budget, yet people dont realize that more money than they think is going towards standardized exams, and the politicians friends that create them, than actually helping children.