Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stuyvesant HS student caught cheating on standardized exam

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=copernicus;4500989]It is time diverted away from all other events that could be going with a total focus on this "investigation."

My school focused on test prep for standardized exams for just about the entire school year. All resources were devoted to it and any other issues became a far second. No field trips, sports days, or assemblies. Nothing enjoyable about school. Important issues like mold and sickness in my school was totally on the "back-burner" becasause testing at the time was just too important.

Worst time to be a student in America hands down. Bush, Obama, Bloomberg, Christie, the whole bunch are to blame.........[/QUOTE]

As you like to tell us, because we aren't teachers, I will tell you because you are so NYC centric that you don't see it. You are wrong, these are not the problems of AMERICA's schools, these are the problems of your school system. My kids public school has sports, art, music, band, school trips (2 major trips per year plus a few local ones and an 8th grade overnighter to Boston), field day, drama (2 plays per year), tons of assemblies. We also have parental involvement, personal responsibilities, repercussions for bad grades and behavior, etc.

As a parent, if I thought my kids school had a maintenance issue like mold or a safety issue I would organize volunteers to help or a fund raiser to pay to have it fixed if money were the issue. The school you work in is obviously a pit. Get out while you can or be the person that takes a stand as a leader and fix it.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=copernicus;4501009]If there we weren't such a focus on standardized test scores, the need to cheat for some would be less desirable. It is criminal what the adults who have the power in education are doing to a future. Again, this is not for the kids, its all about proving that unions are bad and the worker should suffer. Teachers are on the front line. All about the budget, yet people dont realize that more money than they think is going towards standardized exams, and the politicians friends that create them, than actually helping children.[/QUOTE]

If there wasn't such a focus on material goods people wouldn't steal, cheat, etc. If there wasn't such a focus on self indugance there wouldn't be so many people ruining their families by cheating or as many fat people in the world. If there wasn't such a focus on being cool kids wouldn't bully each other. See the list of excuses can go on an on.

Lets take your argument to the nth degree (in education this is called Montesouri) and say that the focus on all grades is bad. Kids should be allowed to learn what they want at their own pace. Competition is bad. Everyone gets a trophy!!! We are all winners or is that whiners?

Student cheats. What a shocking noteworthy event, or as is so common in today's political parlance, "unprecedented".

Surely such a thing could never have happened prior to No Child Left Behind. Cheating in school was unheard of before then!

:zzz:

By the way, the people who should really be thanked for No Child Left Behind are the 384 House Members (89%) and 91 Senators (91%) who voted for it.

[QUOTE]The United States House of Representatives passed the bill on May 23, 2001 (voting 384–45),[7] and the United States Senate passed it on June 14, 2001 (voting 91–8).[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Warfish;4501017]Student cheats. What a shocking noteworthy event, or as is so common in today's political parlance, "unprecedented".

Surely such a thing could never have happened prior to No Child Left Behind. Cheating in school was unheard of before then!

:zzz:

By the way, the people who should really be thanked for No Child Left Behind are the 384 House Members (89%) and 91 Senators (91%) who voted for it.[/QUOTE]

Its not the cheating that is unheard of, its the fact that it is NATIONAL NEWS. This is a kid we are talking about. He didnt murder anyone, its a test! The the politics of standardized tests CONSUMES our present school system. And from most of your responses that this is ok. It is fine that that the media plasters a 16 year old boy's face and possibly ruining his future over a test in school?!

But we all know the real reason for it, its to try and break the country's strong unions.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=copernicus;4501026]Its not the cheating that is unheard of, its the fact that it is NATIONAL NEWS. This is a kid we are talking about. He didnt murder anyone, its a test! The the politics of standardized tests CONSUMES our present school system. And from most of your responses that this is ok. It is fine that that the media plasters a 16 year old boy's face and possibly ruining his future over a test in school?!

But we all know the real reason for it, its to try and break the country's strong unions.[/QUOTE]

The NY Daily News is a NY News Paper. The nature of the internet, blogging, 800 channels on TV makes everything national news.

The Kardashians are daily national news. That is more horrifying than anything.

[QUOTE=copernicus;4500976]National news? All over network television? Lawyers? Newspapers? This is not going to follow him?

Would you be concerned if this were your son?[/QUOTE]

If it were my son caught cheating on standardized tests, he'd have more to worry about than the Daily News TBH.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Brooklyn Jet;4501034]If it were my son caught cheating on standardized tests, he'd have more to worry about than the Daily News TBH.[/QUOTE]

Exactly

[QUOTE=copernicus;4501009]If there we weren't such a focus on standardized test scores, the need to cheat for some would be less desirable.[/QUOTE]

No offense, but Im calling bull****. Kids have been cheating on tests for 30 years. Obviously technology is making it easier to mass distribute the means of cheating, but at the core this is nothing new.

How about the administration and staff making sure kids dont have cell phones while taking tests? Of course, there will be some excuse about "oh no, we cant take away student cell phones!"

[QUOTE=Trades;4501029]The NY Daily News is a NY News Paper. The nature of the internet, blogging, 800 channels on TV makes everything national news.[/QUOTE]

This. The Daily News reported about a high school student at a top NYC school distributing answers to standardized tests to 50 other students. To me, thats news worth reporting.

The national media picking up on it is another separate issue.

[QUOTE=copernicus;4501026]Its not the cheating that is unheard of, its the fact that it is NATIONAL NEWS. This is a kid we are talking about. He didnt murder anyone, its a test! The the politics of standardized tests CONSUMES our present school system. And from most of your responses that this is ok. It is fine that that the media plasters a 16 year old boy's face and possibly ruining his future over a test in school?!

But we all know the real reason for it, its to try and break the country's strong unions.[/QUOTE]

1. Yes, standardized testing is fine by me, generally speaking. Took plenty of them myself over the years.

2. Something being "National news" given the current state of media does not, in fact, make it newsworthy per se.

3. Standardized tests test for standard material having been learned and absorbed and sets standards for minimums. I have no problem with that, better than having a High school graduate who can't read (no shortage of those about).

4. No, I don't think the Media should plaster a 16 year old on the news for this, but thats the mainstream media today. I don;t think every missing blong white girl is news either.

5. Yes, his future should be ruined to some degree, or at least impaired/penalized. He cheated. Cheaters should be punished, an outdated concept today, I'm well aware.

So I've addressed your issue, no wyou address mine:

So why do you continue to lay all blame for problems in our Education system on Bush, when (as shown) the Law was passed with 89-91% overwhelming bipartisan support, and was personally sponsored and supported by such men as Ted Kennedy?

What is your replacement system, as you see it, for Standardized testing, to ensure every student gets the same level of education and the same level of requirement to graduate and have their progress judged?

Jets Insider VIP

The irony of this post is that we get at least one thread a week here on standardized testing originating from YOU, and you're here tell us that it is the public that is "CONSUMED" with standardized testing :rolleyes:

Your agenda here is tired and old. Blame the test all you want, but this is a story about a kid and cheating ring. It wasn't meant to open the door for you to spew your union brainwashed rhetoric.

Jets Insider VIP
    Cheating is good...it's a good life skill to have. It shows that the kid can think outside of the box and not sit like a drone and fill bubbles on ScanTron slip with a no. 2 pencil. He utilized technology.

What he did wrong was giving the answers out to the other lemmings.

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4501087]Cheating is good...it's a good life skill to have. It shows that the kid can think outside of the box and not sit like a drone and fill bubbles on ScanTron slip with a no. 2 pencil. He utilized technology.

What he did wrong was giving the answers out to the other lemmings.[/QUOTE]

Spoken like a man who scored a 920 on his SAT's and deeply hated every second of being in public school, where he was rebellious, truant and a general non-performer all round, and used words like "lemmings" to describe the better off kids who always seemed to do well whilst he fell further and further behind.....

[QUOTE=copernicus;4500976]National news? All over network television? Lawyers? Newspapers? This is not going to follow him?
    [B]
    Would you be concerned if this were your son?[/B][/QUOTE]

Very - I'd be pissed that he cheated.

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4501087]Cheating is good...it's a good life skill to have. It shows that the kid can think outside of the box and not sit like a drone and fill bubbles on ScanTron slip with a no. 2 pencil. He utilized technology.

What he did wrong was giving the answers out to the other lemmings.[/QUOTE]

Can't believe nobody has posted this:

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnqQhUdXgvI[/url]

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4501096]Spoken like a man who scored a 920 on his SAT's and deeply hated every second of being in public school, where he was rebellious, truant and a general non-performer all round, and used words like "lemmings" to describe the better off kids who always seemed to do well whilst he fell further and further behind.....[/QUOTE]

Further and further behind? Not at all :P

Truant? Nada. Perfect attendance almost every year.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6Gp2Ir7n9M[/url]

:P;)

[QUOTE=Brooklyn Jet;4501038]No offense, but Im calling bull****. Kids have been cheating on tests for 30 years. Obviously technology is making it easier to mass distribute the means of cheating, but at the core this is nothing new.

How about the administration and staff making sure kids dont have cell phones while taking tests? Of course, there will be some excuse about "oh no, we cant take away student cell phones!"[/QUOTE]

BINGO! I'm surprised it took this long to BLAME the teachers and administrators! You are so far behind the rest of the country. And yeah, we cant take the phones away from the kids if they dont give it up on their own. Under George Bush's NCLB its referred to as CORPORAL PUNISHMENT and many of the teachers in my school have been brought up on these charges. Now that teachers are so diligently evaluated and ONLY negative things will appear on personal records, what teacher in their right mind would forcefully take a phone from a kid. Even better, other kids take out their phones now and record teachers during situations like this. How'd you like to be on YouTube forever being judged how you forcefully took a phone from a student who would not cooperate? Some of the examples of CORPORAL PUNISHMENT include instructing unruly students stand in the hallway and making physical contact with them in anyway. Its NEVER the students fault in the eye of the administrator who is getting pressure from above to find ways to fire teachers.

In all seriousness though, what would you do? I ask students all the time for their cell phones when they have them out. Some give them to me and others tell me to GFMself. When a teacher is given a phone from the student it is now their responsibility alone. The principal, assistant principal and dean want no part of it. They dont want to be accountable for such an expensive idem. That means after the teacher confiscates the phone its all on the teacher. If anything happens to the phone, the teacher must replace it with their own money. Savvy parents, who have unruly kids and may be disturbed themselves will claim the phone is malfunctioning after the teacher took it from their kid!

Again, after knowing this, what would you do to the next student who has his cell phone out? Would you go all out to confiscate it knowing you have no support? Knowing you might have to replace it with your own money? Knowing that the same kid will have his phone out the next day bc his own parents wont cooperate?

Much easier to sit back and judge the teachers in situations like this. In such a conservative/corporate world where anything union is wrong, how could it be anyone else's fault?

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Brooklyn Jet;4501038]No offense, but Im calling bull****. Kids have been cheating on tests for 30 years. Obviously technology is making it easier to mass distribute the means of cheating, but at the core this is nothing new.

How about the administration and staff making sure kids dont have cell phones while taking tests? Of course, there will be some excuse about "oh no, we cant take away student cell phones!"[/QUOTE]

I cheated on a sex ed once..... ;)

Blame BUSH.

[QUOTE=southparkcpa;4501143]I cheated on a sex ed once..... ;)

Blame BUSH.[/QUOTE]

See, kids have been cheating for, like, 100 years :D

[QUOTE=copernicus;4501134]In all seriousness though, what would you do? I ask students all the time for their cell phones when they have them out. Some give them to me and others tell me to GFMself. When a teacher is given a phone from the student it is now their responsibility alone. The principal, assistant principal and dean want no part of it. They dont want to be accountable for such an expensive idem. That means after the teacher confiscates the phone its all on the teacher. If anything happens to the phone, the teacher must replace it with their own money. Savvy parents, who have unruly kids and may be disturbed themselves will claim the phone is malfunctioning after the teacher took it from their kid! [/QUOTE]

My wifes a teacher. If I worked in her school, i would do what she has done in that situation. Confiscated the phone, left it on her desk in plain sight, gave the phone back after class, and let the principal know, in case a parent complained. Her principal and administrators back her up. Sounds like, no offense, you work in a pretty crappy school where the folks at the top dont back up their teachers nor want to take responsibility.