Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: As Campaign Heats Up, Democrats Focus on Racism (FOXNews)

All League
    [QUOTE=shakin318;4501638][url]http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-oe-ehrenstein19mar19,0,3391015.story[/url]

And just in case you missed it, Ehrenstein is a flaming LIBERAL.[/QUOTE]

I read it when you brought it up the first time.

If you can't see the difference between a black man writing a thoughtful article on a touchy racial subject, i.e. "Obama is just black enough to get votes but not too black to scare away white people" - and what that song for Rush's show was, then we're not going to agree.

[QUOTE=Warfish;4501802]Apparently, you either lack understanding of what satire is, or you simply view your satire through a pre-determined prism where being satirical, or telling jokes, where blacks are the target is by default racism.

I see no racism whatsoever here myself, I see satire, like the Dailyshow, Colbert Report, Saturday Night Live and any number of comedians engage in.

What I'd say is that the real racism in regards to this is that for some reason it's become off limits for whites to joke about or engage in satire about or even legitimately criticise, African Americans. Special treatement for one race, based on skin tone, is racism. Finding a clear cut case of satire to be "racist" only because the target is black, even though the original source was a black liberal writer, is a clear cut case of racial preferential treatement in my view.[/QUOTE]

Did you see that Colbert Report clip I posted? Lots of stuff in there from Rush that could be perceived as racist.

It's really up to each person though, as you can tell from this thread. It seems to be if it makes you laugh, then you don't think it's racist, but if it doesn't make you laugh, then you do.

Plus, I mean, I keep reading how the white man has it bad now and that "we can't make fun of them, but they can make fun of us". Sounds to me like a bunch of b*tching and moaning.

The truth is, things are not equal. You cannot joke about blacks like they can joke about us. Largely because their jokes about us revolve around us not dancing well and being "square" while our jokes about them seem to revolve around criminality, stupidity and how bad their lot is in America.

Just take a quick example of racism, that none of us feel - long story short, NYC frisking laws, in response to threat of terrorism, allow for police to largely frisk whoever they want. And as it turns out, they frisked black and latino young men some ridiculous amount - it's so bad that in one year, there were more stop and frisks of black men of a certain age then there are black men of that age group living in NYC.

I'm tired of this "backlash" of white anger about "our lot" or how they get this and we don't. Long story short, it's still better to be white in America right now than it is to be black. And until that changes, quit b*tching.

[QUOTE=SafetyBlitz;4502051]Lots of stuff in there from Rush that could be perceived as racist.[/quote]

The most important word here...."could be perceived".

Like "fairness" and "change", "could be perceived" has no inherant meaning whatsoever. it is in total in the yees (and biases and agendas and racism) of the beholder.

I COULD perceive that your calling Rush a racist, is, in fact, a sure sign of a worse form of racism, racism for political gain. That doesn't make it accurate per se, just that I could perceive it that way.

Taking short, out-of-context and edited clips from 20 years of shows from a guy doing 3 hours a day, Mon->Fri year round......I have no doubt you can find a few dozen that "could be percieved" by those who want to percieve it that way, as "racist".

At such a point, all we can do is agree to disagree. I've listened, and kept up, and I don't see any basis for an argumet that Limbaugh wants to treat different people differently based only on their race. Colbert's clipshop does not change that viewpoint.

[QUOTE]It's really up to each person though, as you can tell from this thread. It seems to be if it makes you laugh, then you don't think it's racist, but if it doesn't make you laugh, then you do.[/QUOTE]

No, if it meets the definition of racism, treating or promotibg treating people differently and descriminating against someone based on their race alone, then it would be racism. Making a joke, or performign a political satire, at a minorities expense is not racism in and of itself.

Again, I'll ask. What policy position has Limbaugh promoted that mets the definition of racism, i.e. promoted differing or descriminatory treatment of a specific race based only on being a memebr of that race.

If "Magic Negro" is the best example, I'm not swayed, or to put it differently, I do not perceive that in anyw ay as racist.

[QUOTE]Plus, I mean, I keep reading how the white man has it bad now and that "we can't make fun of them, but they can make fun of us". Sounds to me like a bunch of b*tching and moaning.[/QUOTE]

Agree to disagree. When the State makes Law that puts African Americans anf other minorities at a legalized advantage against me, such as in Affirmative Action, in a form of legalized revenge-racism against me, despite my family having not even lived here before the 1960's, I think I have a far better case that I'm a victim of real racism than you have that Limbaugh is a racist.

[QUOTE]The truth is, things are not equal. You cannot joke about blacks like they can joke about us. Largely because their jokes about us revolve around us not dancing well and being "square" while our jokes about them seem to revolve around criminality, stupidity and how bad their lot is in America.[/QUOTE]

Why do you think asterotype of crime and blacks exist? Could it in soem form be based on their percentage ofthe population, their crime rate, and the consisten blaming of others for the crimes they commit?

[quote]I'm tired of this "backlash" of white anger about "our lot" or how they get this and we don't. Long story short, it's still better to be white in America right now than it is to be black.[/quote]

I disagree. Coming from equal socio-economic backgriounds (i.e other factors being equal), it's very much better to be an African American today than White. The system is designed to help them more than me.

[quote]And until that changes, quit b*tching.[/QUOTE]

Respectfully, go **** yourself.:D If ever anyone had ever the left to "just shut up" about some perceived (there is that word again) discrimination or abuse, there would be riots in the street, bombings abnd violence. The complaint of such things from the left is almost never-ending, despite in many cases not existign int he first place, or being the result of fraudulent, partial, accounting (for example, the data set behind the "War on Women" in re: equal pay is horribly outdated, partial, and ignores a multitude of toher factors inherant to the differences).

You have aright to close your eyes, stick your head in the sand, and pretend reverse racism, double standards, hypocricy and outright State Sponsored revenge-racism does not exist, but that will not change that it does. or to say that I (modern white dude) deserve to be a victim of it because "our ancestors" did it to them first. But you have no right to silence me, not yet.

I think the real touble now is the "racism!" card is so worn down, so overplayed, and so outdated in modern America, and engenders such aggressive rebuke now, it has simply lost it's political value with the average citizen. Cry "racist wolf" every second of every day for years on end, when teh average citizen lives next door to a black and hispanic and sees them both doing as well, treated as well, as he himself is, and they go "huh? Whatcha mean I'm a racist?".

Which only serves to cause the elft, in general terms, to think they just need to play that card more and more loudly. It's a bad joke, but many still lap it up...conveniently, since they think it helps their team politically.

God damn my typing has become horribad. Forgive my utter inabillity tp type three words correctly in sequence. /self-directed-facepalm.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=Warfish;4502071]God damn my typing has become horribad. Forgive my utter inabillity tp type three words correctly in sequence. /self-directed-facepalm.[/QUOTE]

Hot dog fingers.

[QUOTE=shakin318;4502085]Hot dog fingers.[/QUOTE]

Mmmmm....Hot Dogs.

All League
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4502070]The most important word here...."could be perceived".

Like "fairness" and "change", "could be perceived" has no inherant meaning whatsoever. it is in total in the yees (and biases and agendas and racism) of the beholder.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think the real touble now is the "racism!" card is so worn down, so overplayed, and so outdated in modern America, and engenders such aggressive rebuke now, it has simply lost it's political value with the average citizen. Cry "racist wolf" every second of every day for years on end, when teh average citizen lives next door to a black and hispanic and sees them both doing as well, treated as well, as he himself is, and they go "huh? Whatcha mean I'm a racist?".

[/QUOTE]

I think Rush Limbaugh is racist. That's how I perceive his "racial commentary".

I also think whites still have it better than blacks in the United States.

If anyone is "crying wolf" it's the new generation of Conservatives that play on this "the white man is getting screwed". What's the black and latino unemployment rates compared to whites?

And when I say Republicans have more racists it's largely because of the birther movement, which I think had serious racial undertones to it.

[QUOTE=SafetyBlitz;4502280][COLOR="Red"][B]I think[/B][/COLOR] Rush Limbaugh is racist. That's how[COLOR="Red"][B] I perceive[/B][/COLOR] his "racial commentary".
    [COLOR="Red"]
    [B]I also think[/B][/COLOR] whites still have it better than blacks in the United States.

If anyone is "crying wolf" it's the new generation of Conservatives that play on this "the white man is getting screwed". What's the black and latino unemployment rates compared to whites?

And when I say Republicans have more racists it's largely because of the birther movement, which [COLOR="Red"][B]I think[/B][/COLOR] had serious racial undertones to it.[/QUOTE]

Do you have any facts supporting your perceptions and opinions? You're welcome to hold onto unsupported arguments.I however have a hard time taking them seriously when on the other side, you've got affirmative action which gives minorities an incontrovertible advantage when seeking jobs, as well as lower requirements to attend college.

[QUOTE=SafetyBlitz;4502280]I think Rush Limbaugh is racist. That's how I perceive his "racial commentary".[/quote]

We agree to disagree. I generally think people who truly think Limbaugh is a racist, i..e treats or promotes treating people different based on race, are driven by political hatred, blinded, and are thus ignorant. The kind of people who only tolerate humour, satire and entertainment on their terms, not equal terms.

[QUOTE]I also think whites still have it better than blacks in the United States. [/QUOTE]

Yet apart from supposed racial profiling of a black friend, can not summon a single actual legal policy or law that backs that claim, while the opposition can site dozens of aggressive and millitant pro-minority-racial-promotion/interest groups who promote in-equallity positions almost daily.

Again, we agree to disagree.

[QUOTE]If anyone is "crying wolf" it's the new generation of Conservatives that play on this "the white man is getting screwed". What's the black and latino unemployment rates compared to whites? [/QUOTE]

Right, it's not the race-baiters on the left, for whome every issue, every policy disagreement is a sure sign of racism/sexism/homophobia of the right, it's the right, who think equallity should mean equal, not racial revenge, that cry wolf.

Unsurpisingly, we agree to disagree yet again.

[quote]And when I say Republicans have more racists it's largely because of the birther movement, which I think had serious racial undertones to it.[/QUOTE]

Oh, I think it's safe to say I know why you think the right is more racist. We'll have to simply agree to disagree on what I perceive as your utter, biased, blind ignorance on this topic.
    Last edited by Warfish; 06-27-2012 at 07:02 PM.

[QUOTE=SafetyBlitz;4502280]I think Rush Limbaugh is racist. That's how I perceive his "racial commentary".

I also think whites still have it better than blacks in the United States.

And when I say Republicans have more racists it's largely because of the birther movement, which I think had serious racial undertones to it.[/QUOTE]
    What's the level of blacks that refuse to look for a job and have never worked a day in their life? I axed you a question that you never answered, do you find it ok to punish people who had not a thing to do with black oppression?

[QUOTE=Warfish;4502314]We agree to disagree. I generally think people who truly think Limbaugh is a racist, i..e treats or promotes treating people different based on race, are driven by political hatred, blinded, and are thus ignorant. The kind of people who only tolerate humour, satire and entertainment on their terms, not equal terms.

Yet apart from supposed racial profiling of a black friend, can not summon a single actual legal policy or law that backs that claim, while the opposition can site dozens of aggressive and millitant pro-minority-racial-promotion/interest groups who promote in-equallity positions almost daily.

Again, we agree to disagree.

Right, it's not the race-baiters on the left, for whome every issue, every policy disagreement is a sure sign of racism/sexism/homophobia of the right, it's the right, who think equallity should mean equal, not racial revenge, that cry wolf.

Unsurpisingly, we agree to disagree yet again.

Oh, I think it's safe to say I know why you think the right is more racist. We'll have to simply agree to disagree on what I perceive as your utter, biased, blind ignorance on this topic.[/QUOTE]

:yes:

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4502009]Thank you.

[B]I thought I recalled you self-describing as a Liberal and Democrat.

If not, my apologies then for using "your favored side".[/B][/QUOTE]

No, but I am a recovering lib/dem. :D

I believe there is so much dysfunctional parity between the two parties that other than their pandering talking points, what's the difference? Once a politician leaves the state level, the money is so enormous, the power so alluring that I find all members of the senate, congress and POTUS/VEEP candidates to be guilty of near total self promotion and ladder climbing until proven innocent (Ron Paul).

But what do I know, I'm just a simple jackazz on the politics sub-forum on football message board.

Is the cat in your avatar yours? He looks like a very sweet little guy.

All League
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4502314]We agree to disagree. I generally think people who truly think Limbaugh is a racist, i..e treats or promotes treating people different based on race, are driven by political hatred, blinded, and are thus ignorant. The kind of people who only tolerate humour, satire and entertainment on their terms, not equal terms.[/QUOTE]

In that clip from Colbert, Mr Limbaugh says something to the effect, "that was my negro dialect" after imitating Al Sharpton and says "I can pull that out from time to time."

I say that's racist. I bet others think so too. But hey, if you want to defend Rush, be my guest.

[QUOTE=Warfish;4502314]Yet apart from supposed racial profiling of a black friend, can not summon a single actual legal policy or law that backs that claim, while the opposition can site dozens of aggressive and millitant pro-minority-racial-promotion/interest groups who promote in-equallity positions almost daily.

Again, we agree to disagree.[/QUOTE]

I said blacks have it worse, referenced the unemployment rate. I said the GOP doesn't have a particular policy of oppression to black people. I said they pander to racists for votes - i.e. birtherism.

[QUOTE=Warfish;4502314]Right, it's not the race-baiters on the left, for whome every issue, every policy disagreement is a sure sign of racism/sexism/homophobia of the right, it's the right, who think equallity should mean equal, not racial revenge, that cry wolf.

Unsurpisingly, we agree to disagree yet again. [/QUOTE]

I've only suggested one person on this site has a racial problem. Beyond that, where do I go around labeling people as racists, sexists or homophobes because we disagree on x, y or z?

I think the birther crap was racist. I think Rush Limbaugh is a racist. I think Acepepe focuses too much of his time and blame on the black community.

[QUOTE=Warfish;4502314]Oh, I think it's safe to say I know why you think the right is more racist. We'll have to simply agree to disagree on what I perceive as your utter, biased, blind ignorance on this topic.[/QUOTE]

Was Barack Obama born in the United States?

Jets Insider VIP
    I kind of miss the time when people actually understood what the word "racism" means, and how different it is than "prejudice".

[QUOTE=SafetyBlitz;4502446]In that clip from Colbert, Mr Limbaugh says something to the effect, "that was my negro dialect" after imitating Al Sharpton and says "I can pull that out from time to time."

I say that's racist. I bet others think so too. But hey, if you want to defend Rush, be my guest. [/quote]

And I'm sure every time anyone has ever done an "Irish Dialect", and "Redneck Dialect", an "Asian Dialect" for comedy or sarite effect, you were equally of the view of teh racism inherant, eh? I doubt it.

Mocking of an accent is not racism. Mocking of an accent does not treat someone differently or promote policy intended to treat someone differently based on their race. It's comedy, satire or criticism, mocking (which could be evidence of prejudice), but it is not in any form racism.

For example, while Limbaugh does to a "Jessie Jackson Voice", an individual I should add not a "Black Voice", he also does a Bill Clinton (last I checked a strait white dude from the south), Barney Frank (a gay northeastern dialect) and a host of other "dialects" of prominent liberal pols, including a number of women. Same treatment across racial and gender lines = not-racism. Prejudice against liberals, perhaps, but thats no crime.

[QUOTE]I said blacks have it worse, referenced the unemployment rate.[/QUOTE]

An example of the common-today sin of (vast and obvious) omission. Blacks do indeed suffer from statisticly higher unemployment at current in the U.S. To lay that down as "racism", i.e. policies in society that descriminate and treat them differently purely for being black, is laughable given the vast amount of complicated factors that go into something like unemployment rate of an entire population.

[QUOTE]I think the birther crap was racist.[/QUOTE]

And I think the refusal to publicly provide his birth certificate, from a Presidient who said he'd be the most transparent and open in history, thus polonging the issue for political gain, was the real problem.

The "birther" issue could have been solved on day 1, by the simple release of what is (generally) a public document of no special note.

[QUOTE]I think Rush Limbaugh is a racist.[/QUOTE]

Yes, you've established that you hold two standards for comedy, satire and criticism. Limbaugh, "racist". Liberals, funny.

[QUOTE]I think Acepepe focuses too much of his time and blame on the black community.[/QUOTE]

He may, I havn't noticed tbqh, he's not on my list of must-reads here.

I think our resident liberals focus too little on the stats of crime and problems in the black community, problems consistently blamed on Republicans and Whites and racism, and used for political gain by Liberals and Race Baiters, while the problems themselves never ever seem to get solved.

Take voter ID's. Instead of encouraging the supposed masses of african americans who don't have ID to go out and get one (given their usefulness in society on so many fronts), and encouraging a policy for the State to provide them free to the needy......instead we get the same old cries of racism, hate and the like. The problem, no ID check with voting and people 9supposedly) without even a siongle form of ID continues on, the same old folks make political hay by using the racism card, and nothing is solved.

[quote]Was Barack Obama born in the United States?[/QUOTE]

I have no idea, I wasn't there. His birth certificate certainly says he was, there is no evidence it's been altered or forged, and thats more than good enough for me.
    Last edited by Warfish; 06-28-2012 at 10:06 AM.

All League
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4502635]

I think our resident liberals focus too little on the stats of crime and problems in the black community, problems consistently blamed on Republicans and Whites and racism, and used for political gain by Liberals and Race Baiters, while the problems themselves never ever seem to get solved.

[/QUOTE]

Besides the part about you telling me what racism is, thanks teach!, I love this part.

Is it us Liberals that bring up the black community here? Forget the mainstream media, as you so often tell me, which side amongst our group of posters speaks more about the black community?

Which side is always quick to point out affirmative action hires, "the race card", reverse racism and always quick to speak about the black community in judgment.

Half of your party thought the first black President was illegitimate because he didn't publicly release his birth certificate - which is above and beyond any requirement by the Constitution - but hey, only a quarter of them now, after him publishing it, think he's illegitimate. Progress!

[QUOTE=SafetyBlitz;4503202]Besides the part about you telling me what racism is, thanks teach!, I love this part.

Is it us Liberals that bring up the black community here? Forget the mainstream media, as you so often tell me, which side amongst our group of posters speaks more about the black community? [/quote]

Generally speaking, the right.

Thats my point.

Silence.

On the left.

The point.

(You're welcome, my young Padawan, one day the Dark Side will be YOURS as well!)

[quote]Half of your party....[/quote]

The Libertarians?

As is often pointed out by at least one rypto-friend on the right, I am not a Republican. I'm a Crypto-Liberal, i.e. Libertarian.

Just say'in.

[QUOTE]...thought the first black President was illegitimate because he didn't publicly release his birth certificate[/QUOTE]

Which says to me, from the President who claimed he'd be the most transparant and open in History, that the issue was played for politcal gain.....when he could easily have just released the thing on day 1.

One thing I give Obama most don't....he's as smart, politically, as they come. As evidenced by this issue, and a host of others where (R) thought they had an easy win, and wound up defeated totally.

[quote]Progress![/QUOTE]

Progress, like not enforcing the Laws for votes! Yeah!

End of the day, my criticism remains. Crime Stats tell the tale, and exposes the silence and lack of accountabillity within that community, and those that enable it in not correcting it's own kids and culture.

Banned
    [QUOTE=acepepe;4502335]What's the level of blacks that refuse to look for a job and have never worked a day in their life??[/QUOTE]

what do you think it is?

what do you think it is for whites?

[QUOTE=FF2;4503337]what do you think it is?

what do you think it is for whites?[/QUOTE]

Per capita? It's a generational thang, you know.

[QUOTE=acepepe;4503379]Per capita? It's a generational thang, you know.[/QUOTE]

You have proven to be a stats guy. :rolleyes:

Well that and f'n a pic with a good looking chick. :yes:

[QUOTE=cr726;4503388]You have proven to be a stats guy. :rolleyes:

Well that and f'n a pic with a good looking chick. :yes:[/QUOTE]

Pornstar Meggan Malone on the left (pre boobjob)

[url]http://s902.photobucket.com/albums/ac222/peptex/?action=view&current=meg.jpg[/url]