Thread: Joe McKnight article

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Joe McKnight article

10:56 AM, June 26, 2012 ι By BRIAN COSTELLO

As the Jets enter the quiet part of the summer between the spring program and training camp, I am going to examine the roster and give you my top 25 players on the Jets roster. Each weekday we will reveal another person on the list, leading right into training camp. I am not including rookies on this list because I do not feel it is possible to fully evaluate them before they play a game. Hope you enjoy.

Position: Running Back/ Kick Returner

How acquired: Taken in the fourth round of the 2010 Draft

Contract status: 2 years, $1.3 million left

How he did in 2011: McKnight exploded in his second season for the Jets as a kick returner. He replaced Brad Smith in the role and ended up leading the NFL with an average of 31.6 yards per return. He returned one kickoff for a touchdown and came close on several others.

McKnight was not used as a running back much in 2011. He had just 43 rushes for 134 yards. He also had 13 catches for 139 yards. Coaches remained frustrated with McKnight last season for his lack of running discipline. They would like to see him hit holes harder.

McKnight had some injury issues last season. He hurt his elbow and shoulder in December and that limited his effectiveness down the stretch.

Outlook for 2012: This is a big year for McKnight. The Jets feel the 2010 Draft class was hurt more than anyone by last yearís lockout because they have not had a full offseason with coaches.

Now, McKnight has gotten coaching and heís also gotten bigger. McKnight added 16 pounds this offseason (he credits McDonalds). He hopes that helps him become more a force between the tackles. The question is how it will affect his speed, particularly on returns.

With LaDainian Tomlinson retired, McKnight figures to take over the third-down back role. McKnight is one of those guys who always shows a ton of potential. Now, itís time to see if develops.

McKnight said this spring that Tony Sparanoís offense has been easier for him to understand. If that is true, a lot of things seem to be coming together for McKnight and he could be ready for a breakout season.

Read more: [url]http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/jetsblog/jets_top_no_joe_mcknight_VrHDJhLKEJlBBXLF3K5UfO#ixzz1yvmmoObL[/url]

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    :barf:

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Look for a big year from McKnight...

He actually trained this year and ate a lot of McDonalds too.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone but Greene again. Please lord I don't want to see him go over 10 carries in any game ever again.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The McDonald's was a joke but the media and the fans couldn't see thru that. I said a year ago McNight had the most talent of all the backs on the roster and I still think he does, i expect a breakout season from him.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Big TC for Joe. I hope he goes out there and rises to the top..

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    i like the kid he's a fumbler thou and he needs to correct that before he will see a lot of playing time

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Whoever shows the can pick up a blitz is going to be the third down back. Everything else is nice to have, but that is critical. No one on the roster has shown they can do it consistently. There's a reason why LT was still out there when he clearly should not have been. I hate to harp on this, but it's a little worrisome. I hope McKnight can do it. He would be the optimal choice. Any of our dark horse backs that show they can pass block will make this team, otherwise we will be picking up a veteran.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=NY's stepchild;4502690]Whoever shows the can pick up a blitz is going to be the third down back. Everything else is nice to have, but that is critical. No one on the roster has shown they can do it consistently. There's a reason why LT was still out there when he clearly should not have been. I hate to harp on this, but it's a little worrisome. I hope McKnight can do it. He would be the optimal choice. Any of our dark horse backs that show they can pass block will make this team, otherwise we will be picking up a veteran.[/QUOTE]

I am doubting that Mcknight will grab the reigns. He has shown fumbling problems, an obvious inability last year to pick up the blitz and durability issues as well. I can see John Griffin beating him out and him and Green spllitting carries with Ganaway as the short yardage goal line guy.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Joe McKnight sucks and you'll quickly see that he is way too brittle if they start using him heavily in the running game. He'll get injured rather quickly.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Mainejet;4503256]Joe McKnight sucks and you'll quickly see that he is way too brittle if they start using him heavily in the running game. He'll get injured rather quickly.[/QUOTE]

If McKnight was a Pat or Fish player, you'd be sh1tting bricks every time he touched the ball.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Joe does not suck, he is very versatile in that he plays well on specials and even some DB. Maybe a JAG but not the suck. He's a pro bowler for gods sake.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Yankeejet22;4503271]If McKnight was a Pat or Fish player, you'd be sh1tting bricks every time he touched the ball.[/QUOTE]

After ONE KO return for a TD? Yeah, sure.:rolleyes:

Brad Smith for sure. Joe McKnight? HA HA HA HA:D:D

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Kentucky Jet;4501307]10:56 AM, June 26, 2012 ι By BRIAN COSTELLO

As the Jets enter the quiet part of the summer between the spring program and training camp, I am going to examine the roster and give you my top 25 players on the Jets roster. Each weekday we will reveal another person on the list, leading right into training camp. I am not including rookies on this list because I do not feel it is possible to fully evaluate them before they play a game. Hope you enjoy.

Position: Running Back/ Kick Returner

How acquired: Taken in the fourth round of the 2010 Draft

Contract status: 2 years, $1.3 million left

How he did in 2011: [B]McKnight exploded in his second season for the Jets as a kick returner.[/B] He replaced Brad Smith in the role and ended up leading the NFL with an average of 31.6 yards per return. He returned one kickoff for a touchdown and came close on several others.

McKnight was not used as a running back much in 2011. He had just 43 rushes for 134 yards. He also had 13 catches for 139 yards. Coaches remained frustrated with McKnight last season for his lack of running discipline. They would like to see him hit holes harder.

McKnight had some injury issues last season. He hurt his elbow and shoulder in December and that limited his effectiveness down the stretch.

Outlook for 2012: This is a big year for McKnight. The Jets feel the 2010 Draft class was hurt more than anyone by last yearís lockout because they have not had a full offseason with coaches.

Now, McKnight has gotten coaching and heís also gotten bigger. McKnight added 16 pounds this offseason (he credits McDonalds). He hopes that helps him become more a force between the tackles. The question is how it will affect his speed, particularly on returns.

With LaDainian Tomlinson retired, McKnight figures to take over the third-down back role. McKnight is one of those guys who always shows a ton of potential. Now, itís time to see if develops.

McKnight said this spring that Tony Sparanoís offense has been easier for him to understand. If that is true, a lot of things seem to be coming together for McKnight and he could be ready for a breakout season.

Read more: [url]http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/jetsblog/jets_top_no_joe_mcknight_VrHDJhLKEJlBBXLF3K5UfO#ixzz1yvmmoObL[/url][/QUOTE]

I would hardly describe his performance last year as explosive.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ubrnostrum;4503334]I would hardly describe his performance last year as explosive.[/QUOTE]

Huh. Tough crowd. Only one other Kickoff returner in the last 30 seasons had more than 20 kickoff returns and a higher average than McKnight.

In fact, only Percy Harvin had more than 15 kickoff returns and a higher return average than McKnight in the past decade.

He certainly slowed a bit in the 2nd half, but his return average on returns were among the best since 1980.
    Last edited by Batmans A Scientist; 06-28-2012 at 09:03 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [B]Joe "BIGMAC" MCKNIGHT[/B]

OR

Joe "$$$ MENU" MCKNIGHT

i pic A

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Batmans A Scientist;4503342]Huh. Tough crowd. Only one other Kickoff returner in the last 30 seasons had more than 20 kickoff returns and a higher average than McKnight.

In fact, only Percy Harvin had more than 10 kickoff returns and a higher return average than McKnight in the past decade.

He certainly slowed a bit in the 2nd half, but his return average on returns were among the best since 1980.[/QUOTE]

And we've had some great one's under Westhoff over the years. From Morton, Miller, Leon, Brad Smith etc, etc; none were as electric/explosive as Joe McKnight in regards to his kick return ability last season. He's a keeper just for the simple fact that he's only 24 years of age and can provide us with solid field position for many of years to come.

As a player heading into his 3rd NFL season, McKnight hasn't shown his ability on the offensive side of the ball yet (he's been buried behind our depth) but he does feature the type of ability in which our coaching staff can line McKnight up all over the football field. Out of the backfield, lined up in one of the slots, can be featured out of a Tim Tebow led Wildcat formation, and with Sparano as our offensive coordinator, we may even see McKnight featured during screen plays due to his ability in the open field. It's all about finding ways to get this kid into the open field because at 5'11/205 pounds? He can develop/become a dynamic offensive threat for Sanchez and our offense. Say what you say about McKnight, but you can't deny the god given talent's he's been blessed with.

Guys such as Leon Washington, Woodhead, Welker, Chrebet, Warrick Dunn, Sproles, Dexter McCluster, Reggie Bush etc, etc are/were all smaller when in comparison to Joe McKnight. I don't wanna hear this talk about him being "too little, too small or too brittle" because LeSean McCoy at 5'11/208 is pretty much a spitting image of McKnight in regards to size/weight and overall body build/stature.

Last season his talent only began to scratch the surface in regards to his kick return ability. Heading into last season, after McKnight's rookie season, none of us (around here) knew that he'd be capable of performing as one of the NFL's elite kick returners, so, who's to say that after his 2nd season last year, heading into his 3rd year this up coming season, that any of us (around here) know what he "can't" do on the offensive side of the football? Because you don't.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    :eek:[QUOTE=Mainejet;4503256]Joe McKnight sucks and you'll quickly see that he is way too brittle if they start using him heavily in the running game. He'll get injured rather quickly.[/QUOTE]

According to you Sanchez sucks. Mcknight sucks, Brick sucks, the mass of fans suck, why exactly do you follow the team.....:eek:

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Charlie Brown;4503355]:eek:

According to you Sanchez sucks. Mcknight sucks, Brick sucks, the mass of fans suck, why exactly do you follow the team.....:eek:[/QUOTE]

Seriously, life is too short. If u hate the team so much, go be a pats or giants fan:cool:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Mainejet;4503256]Joe McKnight sucks and you'll quickly see that he is way too brittle if they start using him heavily in the running game. He'll get injured rather quickly.[/QUOTE]

Yup. He'll never play another down in the league, will be cut in training camp.

:rolleyes:

Ready be wrong 3 years running Bambi-killer?

_