Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Damarcus Gannaway, legit 4.3 speed at 6.2 and 205 pounds...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Funaz;4501968]Damn he was from temple. He owned in practice and choked in games. Jets had another preseason practice champ a few years ago. Back when penny was qb he was tearing it up in practice, but dropped everything in the games.m[/QUOTE]

Justin McCareins? David Clowney?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=OCCH;4501876]I know some Jets fans regard pessimism as a badge of honor, but I don't see why our guys have to stink just because they have good #s.

Schilens is more a question of his health than his ability. If somehow he can stay on the field, he's definitely given reason to believe he'll upgrade our WR corp.

Ganaway has at least shown an ability to succeed at an AFL level. Doesn't mean much, but is better than some guy off the street.

Hill has the potential to be GREAT. Doesn't mean he will be, but doesn't mean he won't, either.

I understand if you want to water down the kool-aid, but some people automatically assume the better the guy looks, the worse he's going to be . . .[/QUOTE]

I can honestly see your point, and agree with some of it. However.....

Year after year after year after year there are these players who are impressing the coaches, and have mind blowing numbers....(whether it be 40 times, increased muscle mass, or bench press reps), and they equate to garbage more often than not.

Still, i see no problem whatsoever with fans being excited about these possibilities, as long as there are proven veterans that can pick up the slack if/when these phenoms fail.

In the case of the Jets, i dont see much quality depth at MANY positions, namely WR and RB.......and to some degree the OL.

Believe it or not, i really want every person in a Jets uni to overperform, and dominate, i just have seen this played out one too many times.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=tfine350z;4501980]Justin McCareins? David Clowney?[/QUOTE]

He's got to be talking about the Clown. Though the kid from Temple last year was Campbell. I was just lurking back then, but people loved the Clown.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Funaz;4501968]Damn he was from temple. He owned in practice and choked in games. Jets had another preseason practice champ a few years ago. Back when penny was qb he was tearing it up in practice, but dropped everything in the games.m[/QUOTE]

Campbell he followed coach Schitty to the Rams.
    Ganny & Riley have shown gunner potential

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=hmhertz;4502087]Campbell he followed coach Schitty to the Rams.
    Ganny & Riley have shown gunner potential[/QUOTE]

Mulligan too. Watch out NFC West

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    40 times are overrated

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Normally I wouldn't put much stock in a FA WR just because he was fast. What makes this guy interesting is I read several articles that in the recent mini camp when the Jets WR's had a hammy outbreak, the kid was given a chance, and impressed.

I'm sure the CS took note.

He'll have to keep it up through out camp, and be a ST's demon to crack the 53
    Last edited by flgreen; 06-27-2012 at 03:52 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    This kid has caught passes under fire in the Arena League. Why do so many people have to act like nagging negative losers?
    Last edited by Kentucky Jet; 06-27-2012 at 04:27 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Slikmojet;4501636]Steiny keeps pimping this guy as a can't miss prospect, Bent says it's not just Steiny blowing smoke up everyone's behind and that indeed he has really impressed the coaching staff. I'm trying to think who has those kind of metrics in the league but i'm having a hard time. I also like the fact that Gannaway tore it up in the arena league before signing with us.[/QUOTE]

He was awesome in the Arena League. That demonstrates that he can catch passes under fire. So many people have such a strong desire be negative about the Jets talent. I think REX and T know a bit about personnel. They get paid to judge talent. The negative nannys don't!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Kentucky Jet;4502178]This kid has [B]caught passes under fire [/B]in the Arena League. Why do so many people have to act like nagging negative losers?[/QUOTE]

new to arena league slang. Is "under fire" the equivalent of a 3rd down conversion or something similar?

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=hmhertz;4501696]McKnight ran a 10.4 100 meter in HS.
    i suggest we add Will Demps 10.05 100 HS
    to the backfield[/QUOTE]

I was thinking the same thing the other day when he did not qualify for the olympics.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Kentucky Jet;4502178]This kid has caught passes under fire in the Arena League. Why do so many people have to act like nagging negative losers?[/QUOTE]

because the odds that an arena wr translating into a decent nfl wr is a billion to one. It's not being negative, its being realistic.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JerseyJet80;4502108]40 times are overrated[/QUOTE]

I don't know, a guy names Randy Moss ran a 4.25 and he was pretty effective....Ohhh there was this other guy that ran a 4.23...I think his name was Deon Sanders.;)...speed kills..Now Jerry Rice ran a 4.7 and didnt do to bad either..
    Last edited by jets80; 06-27-2012 at 06:19 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JB1089;4502063]He's got to be talking about the Clown. Though the kid from Temple last year was Campbell. I was just lurking back then, but people loved the Clown.[/QUOTE]

That's it. That's the name. Michael Campbell. He was almost as awesome as Marcus Henry and David Clowney before him.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sdJETSetter;4501981]
    Year after year after year after year there are these players who are impressing the coaches, and have mind blowing numbers....(whether it be 40 times, increased muscle mass, or bench press reps), and they equate to garbage more often than not.
    [/QUOTE]

How many? Mind blowing numbers who impress the coaches and equate to garbage?

I'll bet there are more players people say these thing about than who actually have had mind blowing numbers who impressed the coaches and equated to garbage.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jets80;4502276]I don't know, a guy names Randy Moss ran a 4.25 and he was pretty effective....Ohhh there was this other guy that ran a 4.23...I think his name was Deon Sanders.;)...speed kills..Now Jerry Rice ran a 4.7 and didnt do to bad either..[/QUOTE]

And I'd take Lam Jones in a race. Speed is great if you stick it on a player. Just having speed doesn't make you DS or RM.

Football is not track & field.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jet Nut;4502290][B]How many? Mind blowing numbers who impress the coaches and equate to garbage?[/B]

I'll bet there are more players people say these thing about than who actually have had mind blowing numbers who impressed the coaches and equated to garbage.[/QUOTE]

How many players are the coaches NOT impressed with?
    Its all hype. Some pan out, a lot dont.
    Its always worth taking a risk on players like that, not a good bet to count on production from the Gannaways, and Schillens of the world. Seems like there is a lot of those type of players competing for jobs at too important of positions on the NYJ

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Slikmojet;4501636]Steiny keeps pimping this guy as a can't miss prospect, Bent says it's not just Steiny blowing smoke up everyone's behind and that indeed he has really impressed the coaching staff. I'm trying to think who has those kind of metrics in the league but i'm having a hard time. I also like the fact that Gannaway tore it up in the arena league before signing with us.[/QUOTE]

I like Steiny but he hypes up EVERYONE on the PS..

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sdJETSetter;4502311]How many players are the coaches NOT impressed with?
    Its all hype. Some pan out, a lot dont.
    Its always worth taking a risk on players like that, not a good bet to count on production from the Gannaways, and Schillens of the world. Seems like there is a lot of those type of players competing for jobs at too important of positions on the NYJ[/QUOTE]

Nice try.

Read his post, read mine and give us an answer. Not another question.

Over the years, Jet players with mind blowing numbers who impress the coaches and equate to garbage? Mind blowing numbers who failed after being hyped is the key here. Not some scrub like Clown who morons here argued were future stars or Ratty who even bigger morons compared favorably to Romo.

I get the rest, its that way with every single NFL team.

SOJF is to busy whining to notice.
    Last edited by Jet Nut; 06-27-2012 at 07:44 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Plus if people are quoting you combine or pro-day numbers for a player who has been around for a while it means the player has sucked. I think Bitonti is still touting Vernon Gholston's "tangibles"