Thread: MJD believes he could catch Smith

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

MJD believes he could catch Smith

[QUOTE][B]Maurice Jones-Drew believes he could catch Emmitt Smith as the NFL's all-time leading rusher.[/B]

"Yeah, I think it's doable," Jones-Drew said in a Tuesday radio interview. "I definitely think it's doable." MJD is, of course, stumping for a new contract. His career 6,854 rushing yards are 11,501 behind Smith's record 18,355. Jones-Drew rushed for a league leading 1,606 yards in 2011, but wouldn't catch Smith even if he averaged that total for the next seven seasons. MJD would need a new pair of knees for that to happen.

[SIZE="1"]Source: NFL.com[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

And we all thought people on this website were ridiculous. :D

In all seriousness, he's trying to make a case for a new contract, but come on, MJD, don't be ridiculous. I find it funny how people think that others will take them serious when making outlandish statements.

[URL="http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DrewMa00.htm"]MJD Statistics[/URL]

Unfortunately you have to be lucky and start off rushing for over 1,000 yards in your rookie year to have a chance to break Smith's record. MJD may be in his prime, but he's behind already.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=John_0515;4501710]And we all thought people on this website were ridiculous. :D

In all seriousness, he's trying to make a case for a new contract, but come on, MJD, don't be ridiculous. I find it funny how people think that others will take them serious when making outlandish statements.

[URL="http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DrewMa00.htm"]MJD Statistics[/URL]

Unfortunately you have to be lucky and start off rushing for over 1,000 yards in your rookie year to have a chance to break Smith's record. MJD may be in his prime, but he's behind already.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, if he stays in Jacksonville he will never have another relevant carry for the rest of his career. Individual records are the only things motivating him at this time.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    That record is going to be one of the harder ones to break. Its very rare for one back to get all the carries in an offense anymore. And even if they did, they would need to stay healthy and do it for a long time.

I always thought Curtis had an outside chance of passing Payton, but his body finally gave way. Then I thought LT was going to be a lock to break it and all of a sudden he hit a wall.

But if you look. Both Curtis and LT only played 11 season a piece. While Smith played 15 and Payton played 13. The guy who really jumps out is Barry Sanders who only played 10 years and left when he had plenty left in the tank.

[url]http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/rush_yds_career.htm[/url]

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DDNYjets;4501717]That record is going to be one of the harder ones to break. Its very rare for one back to get all the carries in an offense anymore. And even if they did, they would need to stay healthy and do it for a long time.

I always thought Curtis had an outside chance of passing Payton, but his body finally gave way. Then I thought LT was going to be a lock to break it and all of a sudden he hit a wall.

But if you look. Both Curtis and LT only played 11 season a piece. While Smith played 15 and Payton played 13. The guy who really jumps out is Barry Sanders who only played 10 years and left when he had plenty left in the tank.

[url]http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/rush_yds_career.htm[/url][/QUOTE]

Emmitt Smith had the uncanny ability to know when he was going to be tackled, and went down in a way that minimized the impact. One of the reasons he lasted so long (besides his offensive line).

Players like Chris Johnson won't be able to sustain his style of play (speed), and Adrian Peterson (more physical + injury prone). The game is becoming more violent, and to play for 12 years as an RB, you have to be lucky and be in the right situation. Curtis was lucky until the end.

12 years = 1,500 yards/year in order to reach 18,000 yards. Not an easy feat.

Let's see how Trent Richardson does this year. 1,200+ yards will start him off on the right track for this.

Steven Jackson may be able to catch Curtis.

Gore may break 10,000 yards.

Chris Johnson is averaging 1,400 yards/year, and that's with his 2,000 yard season. He's entering the prime of his career. If he can average 1,600+ yards in the next 3 years, he has a chance.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=John_0515;4501718]The game is becoming more violent, and to play for 12 years as an RB, you have to be lucky and be in the right situation. [/QUOTE]

I completely disagree with this statement. The game will become softer and softer over the next 5 years to a point where RBs may be able to last 10 years on average rather than the 6-7 years they currently do. Player safety and liberal anti violent sentiment will drive this league more and more towards flag football.

MJD will just miss this window.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dunnie;4501722]I completely disagree with this statement. The game will become softer and softer over the next 5 years to a point where RBs may be able to last 10 years on average rather than the 6-7 years they currently do. Player safety and liberal anti violent sentiment will drive this league more and more towards flag football.

MJD will just miss this window.[/QUOTE]

I double disagree. LOL. Well, players are getting bigger, faster and stronger. I think they're protecting the QB, and WRs, but not the RBs. It's to force a friendlier passing league.

You can't triple stamp and double stamp. LOL. You make a point too, I just think it's difficult for the RBs to stay healthy.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dunnie, the league is not getting softer. They are cracking down on hits to the head. But they are not cracking down on hits to the head of RBs. You will never see an penalty called on someone for hitting a ball carrier in the head once they are running with the ball. That is part of getting tackled. RBs are not protected like QBs or WRs, nor should they be.

If RB's careers are going to last longer it will be b.c of the 2 RB systems and that they will suffer less wear and tear.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DDNYjets;4501717]That record is going to be one of the harder ones to break. Its very rare for one back to get all the carries in an offense anymore. And even if they did, they would need to stay healthy and do it for a long time.

[url]http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/rush_yds_career.htm[/url][/QUOTE]
    To me compiled yardage like Emmitt has isn't impressive but his 164 rushing tds is.. Same with LT with his 145 rushing tds with over 1200 less carries then Emmitt..

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Unless the forward pass is made illegal, that record will never be broken.

The NFL is a different game now.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DDNYjets;4501736]Dunnie, the league is not getting softer. They are cracking down on hits to the head. But they are not cracking down on hits to the head of RBs. You will never see an penalty called on someone for hitting a ball carrier in the head once they are running with the ball. That is part of getting tackled. RBs are not protected like QBs or WRs, nor should they be.

If RB's careers are going to last longer it will be b.c of the 2 RB systems and that they will suffer less wear and tear.[/QUOTE]

Right now you are spot on .... but I have heard interviews on the radio (I'm sorry I don't remember which coach) stating that in the coming years the following would take place.

1. all hits to the QB would become illegal
    2. A headshot to any player would result in penalty
    3. Kickoffs will be eliminated
    4. All hits to a receiver in the act of catching will be a penalty.
    5. The chuck rule may be altered a bit to level the disparity between offense and defense.

Sounds a lot like flag football to me.

Oh yeah and this coach said he would not allow his son to play football ... And it was not Sims.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

No question. No guy gets the carries to do it anymore because no guy is durable enough to take the hits from modern NFL defenses.

Guys like Curtis had 1000 yards every year for their first ten years and still didn't get that close.

Barry Sanders would have been the guy to hold the record if he hadn't walked away.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dunnie;4501748]Right now you are spot on .... but I have heard interviews on the radio (I'm sorry I don't remember which coach) stating that in the coming years the following would take place.

5. The chuck rule may be altered a bit to level the disparity between offense and defense.

Sounds a lot like flag football to me.

Oh yeah and this coach said he would not allow his son to play football ... And it was not Sims.[/QUOTE]

I doubt they'll go that far. They want to avoid stories about concussions but the NFL is smart enough to know that physicallity is a big part of the reason people like football. Besides, if you couldn't hit a QB ever and couldn't touch a WR in the act of catching offenses would be literally impossible to stop.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dunnie;4501748]

[/QUOTE]

1. Definitely a possibility, unless we are talking about eliminating sacks which will never happen.

2. Outside of QBs and WRs it will be impossible to officiate. Never see this happening.

3. I have heard this as well. I think it is an overreaction. It is a possibility but I think it is unlikely to happen.

4. Not going to happen. Impossible to officiate. Not realistic.

5. I think we saw in the playoffs last season that the league might be moving away from this a little, at least in playoff games. The Pat/Raven game was a good example and so was the Giant/49er game. The crackdown was an overreaction to what happened in the NE/STL SB. It will be interesting to see if what happened in the playoffs carries over to the regular season.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 06-27-2012 at 09:28 AM.