Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Brian Hoyer "unsuccessfully" tried to cash in

Brian Hoyer "unsuccessfully" tried to cash in

[QUOTE][B]The Boston Herald reports that backup QB Brian Hoyer "unsuccessfully" attempted to shop himself to other teams before re-signing a one-year deal with New England earlier this offseason.[/B]

Hoyer was tendered at the second-round level in restricted free agency, so any interested club would have had to fork over a second-round pick plus a contract in order to acquire him. It seems like a lofty price tag, but it really wouldn't be if other NFL teams viewed Hoyer as a franchise-caliber quarterback. The 26-year-old is slated for unrestricted free agency in 2013.

[SIZE="1"]Source: Boston Herald[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

Here's the rest of the article:

[URL="http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/football/patriots/view/20220627options_at_qb_for_pats_mallett_hoyer_offer_benefits/"]Options at QB for Pats[/URL]

Personally, I find this interesting. I don't believe Brady will retire soon, and the franchise may not be as committed to Mallett as people think. Hoyer is looking to cash in on this reputation he's received (without playing a snap), just like Flynn has. Kolb was a little more deserving of his money (pre Arizona play), IMO.

In 3 years, Hoyer has appeared in 13 games, and managed 27/43, 286 yards, 1TD/1INT. Nothing spectacular, and I don't understand where this "one of the best backup QBs in the NFL" thing comes from either (the story is written by the Boston Herald). 2nd rounder for Hoyer? Please. Pats fans try to be objective here. :yes:

Patriots will have zero experience at QB when Brady leaves, except for whatever learning is going on the bench. It worked for Rodgers. Others, not so much. We'll see.

Jets Insider VIP
    It's hard to evaluate a player we've really never seen play.

Obviously, no one was interested.

Having said that, I see this thread reaching 20 pages within 24 hours due mainly to our resident trolls and the ensuing arguments.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Any word on where Matt Hoyer signed?

[QUOTE=Jordy;4502172]It's hard to evaluate a player we've really never seen play.

Having said that, I see this thread reaching 20 pages within 24 hours due mainly to our resident trolls and the ensuing arguments.[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/001/384/Atrapitis.gif?1318992465[/IMG]

:rolleyes:

Banned
    [QUOTE=Jordy;4502172][B]It's hard to evaluate a player we've really never seen play.[/B]

Having said that, I see this thread reaching 20 pages within 24 hours due mainly to our resident trolls and the ensuing arguments.[/QUOTE]

Exactly, but how much did Schaub, Cassel and Flynn get with very limited play.

I think the Pats will shop him to the highest bidder.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=crasherino;4502174]Any word on where Matt Hoyer signed?[/QUOTE]
    You'd have to ask Ken to find out. He's the only one who knows who he is.

But please don't unban him.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=PatsFanTX;4502179]Exactly, but how much did Schaub, Cassel and Flynn get with very limited play.

[B]I think the Pats will shop him to the highest bidder.[/B][/QUOTE]

The time for that is quickly coming and going. No one is going to trade much of anything for a QB the closer it gets to the season. If someone wanted him as a starter (they don't) or even a second stringer, they would have acted on it during the off season.

If the Pats wanted a 6th rounder, they would have finagled a trade at the same time the Colts traded for Stanton. Hoyer probably would have agreed to a trade anywhere as he has no future in NE being stuck behind Brady and the potential heir apparent in Mallett.

[QUOTE=crasherino;4502192]The time for that is quickly coming and going. No one is going to trade much of anything for a QB the closer it gets to the season. If someone wanted him as a starter (they don't) or even a second stringer, they would have acted on it during the off season.

If the Pats wanted a 6th rounder, they would have finagled a trade at the same time the Colts traded for Stanton. Hoyer probably would have agreed to a trade anywhere as he has no future in NE being stuck behind Brady and the potential heir apparent in Mallett.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. I believe Mallett's going to play.

Colts chose Stanton over Hoyer for a 6th.

Good info. End thread.

Ken knew it, and made it be known that Matt Hoyer ala the Pats back-up QB, has less interceptions than Bart Starr, Joe Montana, and Brett Favre. Name me 247 other back-up QBs that are named Matt that can say that here in 2012 or else I'm right. And don't pretend your a true fan because your all nothing but a bunch of morans. I seen it then and is saying it now. It's not a personal attack if its true ala accurate. Go aheads, I'm waiting. But somehow I don't think you can do it. See? I just knew and also understood.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE]Exactly, but how much did Schaub, Cassel and Flynn get with very limited play.[/QUOTE]

All of these guys filled in when the qb was hurt and played well. Cassel played a full seasons. Flynn set records in his 2 starts. And schaub played great when he filled in for Vick.

Hoyer has never played in a meaningful nfl game. Thats why he has no contract. You cannot comapre Hoyer's situation to Cassel, schaub and flynn.

With Brady being 47, pretty much anyone can step into the Pats system and thrive. Just look at what Mark Cassel did.

All Pro
    Sign this beast for short money.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=crasherino;4502174]Any word on where Matt Hoyer signed?[/QUOTE]

LOL

please don't un ban patsfanken in order to find out, crash

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=FF2;4502202]Just look at what Mark Cassel [I]did[/I].[/QUOTE]

did [dɪd]

verb

the past tense of do.

:P

[QUOTE=FF2;4502202]With Brady being 47, pretty much anyone can step into the Pats system and thrive. Just look at what Mark Cassel did.[/QUOTE]

Cassel is evidence for any team to not acquire a Patriots backup.

Cassel and Tony Eason.

Jets Insider VIP
    If Matt Hoyer was really any more than a JAG, would Beli the Genius have peed away a second round pick on Ryan "Leaf" Clement in order to have a QB of the future on the Cheatriot roster?

Banned
    These types of threads put a smile on my face. Talking about a backup to Tom Brady in which no NFL team want's. Brady's turning 35, so I'm pretty sure the topic of discussion in regards to NE's future starting QB (once Brady hangs it up) should be a fun one. He's turning 35 this up coming season, he should be out of the league in 3-4 years at the very most. I can't wait to see NE without Tom Brady running the show.
    Last edited by NY2FLDWC85; 06-27-2012 at 05:57 PM.

[QUOTE=NY2FLDWC85;4502223]These types of threads put a smile on my face. Talking about a backup to Tom Brady in which no NFL team want's. Brady is 35, so I'm pretty sure the topic of discussion in regards to NE's future starting QB (once Brady hangs it up) should be a fun one. He's turning 35 this up coming season, he should be out of the league in 3-4 years at the very most. I can't wait to see NE without Tom Brady running the show.[/QUOTE]

Personally, I would rather beat NE, win the division and advance deep into the playoffs with Tom Brady here.

Banned
    [QUOTE=John_0515;4502227]Personally, I would rather beat NE, win the division and advance deep into the playoffs with Tom Brady here.[/QUOTE]

That's my goal every season. We haven't won the division, but we did beat the Patriots during the regular season followed by eliminating them from the playoffs (In Foxboro) and also advanced deep into the playoffs. That's good enough for me until we actually bring one home. With all that said, I remember what happened to Miami's franchise once Dan Marino walked away. Hopefully the same happens to NE x2.

Kind of old news. As others mentioned, it's pretty hard to see where Hoyer's trade value comes from without anything other than garbage time experience under his belt. I see the most likely scenario being Hoyer remains the backup this season and then signs on next year with a team where he can compete in camp for a starting job.

As for Mallett... anyone's guess is as good as anyone else's. He's still extremely raw, and wasn't even dressed for the majority of games last season. Is he really content to sit for 4-5 total years? I don't know... but this isn't comparable to the Rodgers situation at all. Rodgers was definitely Favre's heir apparent, and only remained on the bench as long as he did because Favre reneged on his retirement timetable and threw a wrench into the Packers' plans.

I'd say there's a solid chance Brady's successor will come from somewhere else.