Thread: Shonn Greene making 850,000 this year

Veteran

Shonn Greene making 850,000 this year

Is he worth 850k? I think it's a no brainier. Let's see what he ca do for 850k

[URL="http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245049"]Please Read[/URL]

All Pro
    Id say money is definately one of the reasons greene is our starting back. For 850k, shonn greene is great value. The jets have dolled out some big contracts. It looks like rb is a position they think they can fill with cheap guys late in the draft.

Its not a bad strategy but we have yet to find an arian foster type sleeper guy with those picks.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;4502357]Id say money is definately one of the reasons greene is our starting back. For 850k, shonn greene is great value. The jets have dolled out some big contracts. It looks like rb is a position they think they can fill with cheap guys late in the draft.

Its not a bad strategy but we have yet to find an arian foster type sleeper guy with those picks.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, the RB position typically goes as far as the oline does

Greene was an average starter last year and I thought he looked really good after he came back from the injury. He was 13th in the league last year and people act like he was 30th. For a team everyone is always looking for the run it just wasn't an easy year from him. I love the fact he caught 30 passes. That is not his game so I have to give him credit. He will likely be a 1200 yard rushing back with maybe anther 200-300 in the passing game IF he can stay healthy. That is not too shabby. Will he do that over the next 3-4 years? No not likely but we could be in worse shape. He is at his peak and we have him cheap. So he isn't a burner that averages 5 yards a run. Who cares if he still gets the job done.

That's ridiculous. He should hold out.

Banned
    [QUOTE=Dreamers;4502373]Greene was an average starter last year and I thought he looked really good after he came back from the injury. He was 13th in the league last year and people act like he was 30th. For a team everyone is always looking for the run it just wasn't an easy year from him. I love the fact he caught 30 passes. That is not his game so I have to give him credit. He will likely be a 1200 yard rushing back with maybe anther 200-300 in the passing game IF he can stay healthy. That is not too shabby. Will he do that over the next 3-4 years? No not likely but we could be in worse shape. He is at his peak and we have him cheap. So he isn't a burner that averages 5 yards a run. Who cares if he still gets the job done.[/QUOTE]

Well said. Back in 2009, Greene provided us with a great backup during his rookie season. As a 3rd year player, last year was his first season as a feature back, and he rushed for a little over 1,000 yards and like you've stated, 30 receptions coming out of the backfield. Is he the most explosive back around? Not a chance, but does he pickup tough yardage? Without question. An average of 4.2 yards per carry is pretty solid. Looking for Greene to put up top 10 numbers this up coming season. One advantage that Greene has heading into our upcoming season? He now knows exactly what to expect both physically and mentally in regards to being 'the' back who's carrying the work-load. Greene only put up 293 rushing attempts during his first two seasons combined. Last season he put up 253 rushing attempts. Who's to say that, due to the increased work load and experience that he gained last season, that he won't have a better understanding for out offensive line heading into 2012?
    Last edited by NY2FLDWC85; 06-27-2012 at 11:01 PM.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=NY2FLDWC85;4502426]Well said. Back in 2009, Greene provided us with a great backup during his rookie season. As a 3rd year player, last year was his first season as a feature back, and he rushed for a little over 1,000 yards and like you've stated, 30 receptions coming out of the backfield. Is he the most explosive back around? Not a chance, but does he pickup tough yardage? Without question. An average of 4.2 yards per carry is pretty solid. [B]Looking for Greene to put up top 10 numbers this up coming season.[/B] One advantage that Greene has heading into our upcoming season? He now knows exactly what to expect both physically and mentally in regards to being 'the' back who's carrying the work-load. Greene only put up 293 rushing attempts during his first two seasons combined. Last season he put up 253 rushing attempts. Who's to say that, due to the increased work load and experience that he gained last season, that he won't have a better understanding for out offensive line heading into 2012?[/QUOTE]

Of course you are.

Banned
    [QUOTE=brady's a catcher;4502447]Of course you are.[/QUOTE]

Why wouldn't I? Last season, as a first year starter Greene was only 37 rushing yards away from cracking the top 10 in regards to rushing yards. He was also only 12 rushes for 1st downs away from top 5 in rushes resulting in 1st downs. With Shotty ran out of town, along with the addition of Tony Sparano's more physical approach to the game of football, please tell me, with your own words... Why shouldn't I feel and believe that Shonn Greene is on the verge of cracking a top 10 rushing performance?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    [QUOTE=bcess;4502332]Is he worth 850k? I think it's a no brainier. Let's see what he ca do for 850k[/QUOTE]
    This couldn't have been discussed in the other Shonn Greene thread??