Thread: A Question for my Conservative Friends;

A Question for my Conservative Friends;

When the mandate gets struck down today (which it will) there will loud cheers and celebrations from the right. But for all of the criticism of this law no one would argue that it was, at the least, an attempt to fix a very serious issue. Unless, of course, you don't believe its a serious problem and swallow the line that we have the best health care system in the world. By almost any responsible standard that is simply not true.

And after the New Years-like celebrations are over (which will be covered as if it were New Years by certain objective outlets) how will the health care situation get resolved? Will there be another serious attempt to try in the near future? Or does it even matter because "WE DEFEATED OBAMACARE!!"

Because there are millions of Americans who are desperate for affordable care and/or swamped with medical bills. When the cheering ends what happens next?

[QUOTE=intelligentjetsfan;4502584]When the mandate gets struck down today (which it will) there will loud cheers and celebrations from the right. But for all of the criticism of this law no one would argue that it was, at the least, an attempt to fix a very serious issue. Unless, of course, you don't believe its a serious problem and swallow the line that we have the best health care system in the world. By almost any responsible standard that is simply not true.

And after the New Years-like celebrations are over (which will be covered as if it were New Years by certain objective outlets) how will the health care situation get resolved? Will there be another serious attempt to try in the near future? Or does it even matter because "WE DEFEATED OBAMACARE!!"

Because there are millions of Americans who are desperate for affordable care and/or swamped with medical bills. When the cheering ends what happens next?[/QUOTE]

The serious issue we have is the rising cost of insurance. Obamacare did not address that. When the Obamacare law is struck down either today or once we have a new administration I would look at ways to reduce the cost of insurance. I believe that a big reason we have so many uninsured is the high cost of insurance. The top fix would be allowing small businesses to bundle together to form large risk pools. Large companies pay around 60% of what smaller businesses pay for equal insurance plans. That step alone would go a long way. I would write in to law that people with continuous coverage can not be dropped from insurance rolls when they get sick (already on the books in NY).

To help the uninsured and further reduce healthcare costs I would block grant medicaid to the states. I would encourage the states to use some medicaid
    money to open clinics where the most aggregation abusers of Hospital Emergency rooms for basic care are. Those clinics would be free to anyone that chooses to wait in line. Emergency rooms would be instructed to refer non-emergency patients to the clinics.

I would allow insurance portability so that people could keep their plans when they move or leave their jobs. I would remove the laws that stop insurance companies from competing across state lines.

I would pass these laws as a series of small bills. This idea of large scale comprehensive bills never works. 2700 pages of legal mumbojumbo is not a solution to anything.

Hall Of Fame
    Obamacare had some good qualities but it is just too complex and filled with garbage. Hopefully this leads to a more streamlined solution to the problem.

How about we cap the amount insurance companies are allowed to charge for coverage. And simplify/standardize what is covered. There are too many options and all of them are overpriced and provide too little coverage.

Cap malpractice penalties and insurance. That is why we have no doctors.

We need a simple solution. Has to be idiot proof. Thousands of pages that nobody in Congress has read is not the answer to our problems. And quite frankly, I am not even sure that President Obama knows this bill inside and out and it is HIS baby.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 06-28-2012 at 09:45 AM.

[QUOTE=intelligentjetsfan;4502584]When the mandate gets struck down today (which it will) there will loud cheers and celebrations from the right. But for all of the criticism of this law no one would argue that it was, at the least, an attempt to fix a very serious issue. Unless, of course, you don't believe its a serious problem and swallow the line that we have the best health care system in the world. By almost any responsible standard that is simply not true.

Because there are millions of Americans who are desperate for affordable care and/or swamped with medical bills. When the cheering ends what happens next?[/QUOTE]

Hopefully the Sen. dems will end their filibuster of interstate sales of health insurance.
    A guy that I know totaled his car last night, he wants to by insurance today so he'll have the money to buy a new one. He should be allowed to, right?

Jets Insider VIP
    LOL at this, ijf. So transparent.

But to answer you, look at comments from guys like Boehner and Rubio on this exact question this week. They've said they'd like to get immediately to work on parts of the bill that they did see as added value (pre-existing condition debate, age at which youths can remain on parents insurance). The focus will be replacement, not status quo, no matter how hard the left tries to sell it as so. Romney is going to have to articulate an alternative plan shortly after this happens (if it does, I still don't believe this is a slam dunk). And if he gets in, he's going to have to act on it fast.

But yes, the celebration will be big. Not because of the downfall of Obamacare. This is bigger than that. This would be a victory for those of us who are increasingly disturbed by the growth of the power and the reach of the Federal government. You may not like it, but the celebration is going to be loud and proud.

Possibly ;)