Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Supreme Court upholds Obama health care plan

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Supreme Court upholds Obama health care plan

The Supreme Court upheld the health care law today in a splintered, complex opinion that appears to give President Obama a major victory.

Basically. the justices said that while Congress may have overreached in part with the individual mandate -- the requirement that most Americans buy health insurance or pay a fine -- the provision is held constitutional as a tax.

Chief Justice John Roberts -- a conservative appointed by President George W. Bush -- provided the key vote to preserve the landmark health care law, which figures to be a major issue in Obama's re-election bid against Republican opponent Mitt Romney.

The announcement will have a major impact on the nation's health care system, the actions of both federal and state governments, and the course of the November presidential and congressional elections.

A key question for the high court: The law's individual mandate, the requirement that nearly all Americans buy health insurance, or pay a penalty.

Critics call the requirement an unconstitutional overreach by Congress and the Obama administration; supporters say it is necessary to finance the health care plan, and well within the government's powers under the Commerce Clause of the U.S. Constitution.

While the individual mandate remained 18 months away from implementation, many other provisions already have gone into effect, such as free wellness exams for seniors and allowing children up to age 26 to remain on their parents' health insurance policies. Some of those provisions are likely to be retained by some insurance companies.

Other impacts will sort themselves out, once the court rules:

-- Health care millions of Americans will be affected coverage for some, premiums for others. Doctors, hospitals, drug makers, insurers, and employers large and small all will feel the impact.

-- States -- some of which have moved ahead with the health care overhaul while others have held back -- now have decisions to make. A deeply divided Congress could decide to re-enter the debate with legislation.

-- The presidential race between Obama and Republican challenger Mitt Romney is sure to feel the repercussions. Obama's health care law has proven to be slightly more unpopular than popular among Americans.

Not since the court confirmed George W. Bush's election in December 2000 -- before 9/11, Afghanistan and Iraq, Wall Street's dive and Obama's rise -- has one case carried such sweeping implications for nearly every American.

Passed by Democrats along strictly partisan lines and still 18 months short of full implementation, the law is designed to extend health coverage to some 32 million uninsured people, ban insurers from discriminating against those with expensive ailments, and require nearly all Americans to buy insurance or pay penalties.

Its passage on March 23, 2010, marked the culmination of an effort by Democrats to overhaul the nation's health care system that dates back to Harry Truman's presidency. The most recent effort by President Bill Clinton in 1994 fell victim to Republican opposition. Since then, lesser changes have been enacted, including creation of a separate Children's Health Insurance Program in the states.
    http://content.usatoday.com/communit...1#.T-xoQbXSlLU

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm far from an expert on this but I wonder what effect it will have on small businesses(?) Is it not unreasonable to think that more people will be laid off if their small business employer is forced to provide health coverage or does this ruling leave it on the individual to pay for it(?)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    ...what a surprise...its a tax...

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Its a tax sounds like a fair argument..

Major victory for Obama his legacy is set in stone!!!!

Though I Hope he loses re election since I hate his hate

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatriotReign View Post
    I'm far from an expert on this but I wonder what effect it will have on small businesses(?) Is it not unreasonable to think that more people will be laid off if their small business employer is forced to provide health coverage or does this ruling leave it on the individual to pay for it(?)
    There are a number of problems with the law as far as Small Businesses go. First they will need to keep the total number of employees under 50 to avoid the mandate to cover employees. Worse still the cost of insurance has been driven up dramatically already and will continue to do so. For companies that currently provide coverage many of us plan to drop it and allow employees to purchase it cheaper from the government exchanges. If the Government is willing to subsidize the insurance it doesn't make sense for businesses to purchase it at full price.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Supreme Court has set a recipe for economic problems.
    Here are some of the probable outcomes:
    1. Any company with 50-60 employees (maybe more) may immediatley downsize to escape inclusion from the rules. I would, smart move.
    2. All drug companies with patent protected drugs should immediately increase prices by 25-40% to cover the new taxes to be imposed on them. Smart move, I'd do that as well.
    3. Large companies should immediately reduce hed count by 10% to cover anticipated increased costs. They can offshore these jobs to Asia at a fraction of the cost. Another smart move.
    4. All companies should increase their prices by the amount necesary to cover costs of Obamacare and coming increased taxes.
    5. All investors should serously analyze and consider increasing the amount of their portfolio in tax free bonds. Obama just got re-elected by the"lazy masses" and taxes are GOING UP. I would not even think about any investments in Northern states which are unable to control costs. NY, NJ, Mass., Pa., Ohio, Ill., Mich., Ind., Cal. etc. The list is longer.
    Putting money in tax frees also deprives the Feds of more money to waste.
    6. Companies and individuals may reduce charitable donations should). Hey, money is tight. Unted Way - see ya. Corrupt. Same with Planned Parenthood. And why do any health charities need money with Obamacare? Give to animal shelters. And disabled Vets.
    "A fundemental redistribution of wealth".

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    GREAT DAY FOR AMERICA!!!!

The Medal of Freedom should be immediately awarded to Chief Justice Roberts for having the courage to allow his Allegience to his Country take priority over politics...

Unlike the four teabagger stooges...Scalia..Alito..Kennedy and Scalia's butler

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

Mod Friend to JI Legends
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post

The Medal of Freedom should be immediately awarded to Chief Justice Roberts for having the courage to allow his Allegience to his Country take priority over politics...

+1

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post

Well, at least the decision wasn't the dumbest thing I've read all day.

Mod Friend to JI Legends
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    ha ha ha ha

NO PERSONAL ATTACKS

lolol

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    +1

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Agreed.

Alito's Butler?

/headshake

Go back to the Phailstrip.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    LOLZ.

Mod Friend to JI Legends
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Agreed.

Alito's Butler?

/headshake

Go back to the Phailstrip.
    There are 6-8 guys in here that hope he sticks around.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Absolute gold....you've earned a place on shortbus3's ignore list for that gem.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatriotReign View Post
    Absolute gold....you've earned a place on shortbus3's ignore list for that gem.
    I'm pretty sure he can't read anyone else's posts

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    As a conservative, I really think Roberts did in fact follow the letter of the law. Congress has the right to impose tax - they did so - he upheld it.

However - the expansion of Medicaid and threatening to withhold funds was overreaching - and so he pulled it.

So as much as it sucks, democracy did happen.

Simply speaking of course.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BleedGreen314 View Post
    As a conservative, I really think Roberts did in fact follow the letter of the law. Congress has the right to impose tax - they did so - he upheld it.

However - the expansion of Medicaid and threatening to withhold funds was overreaching - and so he pulled it.

So as much as it sucks, democracy did happen.

Simply speaking of course.
    The dissent worded it properly -- by labeling this a tax, Roberts didn't interpret the law, he rewrote it . . .

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is the straw breaking the camels back. The social contract is officially null and void. We have a rogue government that is a criminal enterprise that enforces laws against the rest of us that don't apply to them. May they all burn in Hell for eternity.

Such has been the patient sufferance of these States; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of Government. The history of the present United States Federal Government is a history of repeated injuries and usurpations, all having in direct object the establishment of an absolute Tyranny over these States.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just remember when the tax kicks in, It will be back in the Supreme Court. That is why Roberts called it a tax.