Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Some 4:15 Games to Now Start at 4:25

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetPotato;4503071]Someone has never been to one of Mike D's tailgates.[/QUOTE]

Mike D throws down on the tailgates? I can almost guarantee that he'd wanna beat the living dog **** out of me if I arrived (out of nowhere) to one of his tailgates. He was my rival poster back in 2009 ;)

But yeah, I've already scheduled my vacation in advance, I'll be in Queens from the 27th of September until the 10th of October for the Jets vs 49ers and Texans games.

I had my choice (all consecutive home game) between the 49ers/Texans, Texans/Colts or Patriots/Cardinals. At first glance, I seen the 49ers and Texans as the two games that I really wanted to see. For the simple fact, that I've always been a strong believer that defense wins championships ala 'DWC'; which is why I selected those two games. All 3 of the Jets, 49ers and Texans field top of the line defenses.

But now I'm not so sure if I should have went with the Texans/Colts to see our defense murder the Colts with rookie Andrew Luck under center, or if I should have selected the Patriots/Cardinals to A.) Experience a Jets vs Patriots rivalry and B.) Revis one on one with Larry Fitzgerald. I'm thinking I should have went with the Patriots/Cardinals just for the actual purpose of experience a Jets vs. Patriots rivalry.

But yeah, which tailgates would you recommend for an out of state Jets fan/poster such as myself? It's just me and my older brother making the trip. Also willing to contribute $150-$200 in regards to the food and drink (not looking for a free ride). Thanks in advance for any type of info. Haven't been to Jets stadium since before I was old enough to drink (27 years of age now), haven't been to a Jets game since 2009 against the Bucs down here in Tampa and have yet to visit MetLife stadium. Haven't even seen Sanchez play live. Got stuck with Kellen Clemens starting against the Bucs, who was less than impressive that day. Really looking forward to these two games/experience.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=NY2FLDWC85;4503068]I don't think a matter of "10 minutes" will matter in regards to overall drunkenness. It's either you're drunk or you're not. It's as simple as that. A whopping 10 minutes won't change that.[/QUOTE]

agreed. i've been drunk since '87. what's another 10 minutes?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great.

Even more games added to the list I can't attend because of my kids and school the next day. Horrible decision.

SAR I

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4503370]Great.

Even more games added to the list I can't attend because of my kids and school the next day. Horrible decision.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

10 minutes? Are you serious?

You should also consider the fact that the league will probably mandate that the second games be less drawn out as far as commercial breaks go, so as not to interfere with NBC's Sunday Night package, so when it's all said and done the game will start 10 minutes earlier, and probably on average end about 5 minutes later. If 5-10 minutes on average is truly that much of a deal breaker for you, why do you even bother having tickets, in all seriousness?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is a GREAT decision. An effort to prevent some overlap between the early and late games. Chris Hansen's job on the Red Zone Channel just got a bit easier. He only takes pee breaks during the late games, true story. You know you were wondering it.

The NFL is in the business of showcasing the most popular game in the country and it keeps getting smarter and smarter about how to do it.
    Last edited by ASG0531; 06-28-2012 at 10:28 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite;4502887]I got absolutely crucified for bringing this up last year... I need to find that thread...

Found it...

:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

lmao :)

care to provide any context?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

SAR I[/QUOTE]

I'm a father myself SAR, and if a whopping 10 minutes is (in your eyes) considered "too late" for your children to be awake/at a game? Well, then, guess what? As a responsible father, you shouldn't have them at the game to begin with. If a game that starts at 4:15 and ends at 7:15 is o.k, but a game that stats at 4:25 and ends at 7:25 is "too late" for your children? Well, then, it's either your strict as a S.O.B in regards to time (10 minutes) or your children should have been tucked away in bed, getting rest for school (for the start of the new week) to begin with... Instead of at a football game (or waiting for you to come home from a football game) in which ends at 7:15ish/7:25ish. Just my thoughts. We're talking about 10 minutes here SAR... 10 minutes. Do you always have to look at the negatives in regards to everything, even if it's something as petty as a difference of only 10 minutes? I hope for your sake, you're being sarcastic with the post above? ASG0531 hit the nail on the head when stating "The NFL is in the business of showcasing the most popular game in the country and it keeps getting smarter and smarter about how to do it". I couldn't have said it better myself.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    cool. More time to take a dump before the late game starts.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=NY2FLDWC85;4503423]I'm a father myself SAR, and if a whopping 10 minutes is (in your eyes) considered "too late" for your children to be awake/at a game? Well, then, guess what? As a responsible father, you shouldn't have them at the game to begin with. If a game that starts at 4:15 and ends at 7:15 is o.k, but a game that stats at 4:25 and ends at 7:25 is "too late" for your children? Well, then, it's either your strict as a S.O.B in regards to time (10 minutes) or your children should have been tucked away in bed, getting rest for school (for the start of the new week) to begin with... Instead of at a football game (or waiting for you to come home from a football game) in which ends at 7:15ish/7:25ish. Just my thoughts. We're talking about 10 minutes here SAR... 10 minutes. Do you always have to look at the negatives in regards to everything, even if it's something as petty as a difference of only 10 minutes? I hope for your sake, you're being sarcastic with the post above? ASG0531 hit the nail on the head when stating "The NFL is in the business of showcasing the most popular game in the country and it keeps getting smarter and smarter about how to do it". I couldn't have said it better myself.[/QUOTE]

First off, of course I was joking. An extra 10 minutes means nothing.

That said, respectfully, you live in Florida and it's of no consequence to you or your children if the game ends 10 minutes later because you're already at your house. It's a different story when you're at the game and need to drive 40+ minutes back home.

The big issue here isn't the extra 10 minutes. The issue here is that over time the NFL has pushed the afternoon games back a half hour. For a parent with grammar school aged kids, 8pm is the magic hour. That's when dinner's over, showers are finished, and bedtime at 8:30 can be achieved. A 4pm kickoff assures a comfortable 7:30 arrival at home and just enough time to stay on schedule. A 4:30 kickoff assures a grumpy wife and kids going to bed late.

Don't get me wrong- I'm not missing any 4:25 games because of the extra 10 minutes. It's just another brick in the wall that makes each season a bit tougher on home fans attending NFL games. We have games on Saturday's, Sunday's, Monday's, Thursday's, and Friday's now. We have routine 8:30 kickoffs and midnight final whistles. I love attending live Jets games, but it's always been about the 1pm kickoff on a sunny but crisp November Sunday afternoon. If I'm lucky, I'll see about 3 1pm starts per season, I'll have 3 4:25 starts, and I'll have 2 8pm starts on school nights that I can't attend. Not the dream of season ticket holdership I had for my family in 1986.

SAR I

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    The 10-minute push doesn't apply to any Jets home games this season.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why not just make it a "cool" 4:30?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetPotato;4503028]Oh good. So now the Jets crowd will be 10 minutes drunker than usual... and show up at their seats at what? 5:30?[/QUOTE]

This move doesn't effect any Jets home games at the present time, and this would just push back the opening of the parking lot by 10 minutes as well. These "gate protectors" we have are extremely anal about what time the lots open. For some reason where I come through, next to the Timex building, they love screwing with us and opening them up at 8:02 instead of 8:00. Pricks. ;)

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

SAR I[/QUOTE]

I'll give you face value (not including the PSL cost)

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4503435]

A 4:30 kickoff assures a grumpy wife

[/QUOTE]

Just get a new wife or a mistress.

Problem solved.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;4503575]Just get a new wife or a mistress.

Problem solved.[/QUOTE]

Getting a divorce is expensive.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Not a fan of this at all. I love when some of the early games are about to end or are in OT, then you've got a handful of games just starting. If you've got Sunday Ticket, you've got a bunch of action going on, makes it exciting.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Digetydog;4502898]I have heard that they did it for betting. Apparently, when games overlapped, the betting dropped like a rock and ratings did as well. With the extra time, degenerate gamblers a better opportunity to place more bets after seeing the results of the 1st batch of games.[/QUOTE]

Who told you this, a degenerate gambler?

The kind that thinks their gambling makes the world go around?

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    god damn, this thread is like a crybaby's wet dream

10 freakin minutes and everyone flips out

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Area51;4504630]god damn, this thread is like a crybaby's wet dream

10 freakin minutes and everyone flips out[/QUOTE]

The part I don't get is why a fan that says "I just want this season to be over" wouldn't consider leaving the game 10 minutes early to get his kids home in bed on time on a school night if that's so important.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    This is great news for non-season ticket holders.

Our football Sunday just got 10 minutes longer. Thank you NFL.

:yes: