Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Found a pipe and a bud in my son's closet last night.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Apache 51;4503121]Heroin is the bigger problem in HS around here. If they stick with coke, and bud I guess you are ahead of the game.[/QUOTE]

What freakin high school did you go to?

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dimitri_0515;4503126]What freakin high school did you go to?[/QUOTE]

Let's just say it's been in the top 10 for 30 years, NJ. When I attended some guys shot heroin but now you can snort it so, it's more popular.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Heroin is rampant at the high school here in Sparta, NJ. No less than 4 overdose deaths in the last year among Sparta teens and young adults. Somewhere along the way, the new, cheap, easily acquired heroin became the drug of choice. I hear it's the same on other middle class and affluent towns. Its not like heroin use of the 60's and 70's. Very serious problem.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dcat;4503148]Heroin is rampant at the high school here in Sparta, NJ. No less than 4 overdose deaths in the last year among Sparta teens and young adults. Somewhere along the way, the new, cheap, easily acquired heroin became the drug of choice. I hear it's the same on other middle class and affluent towns. Its not like heroin use of the 60's and 70's. Very serious problem.[/QUOTE]

Bad sh*t out of Patterson is my understanding, indirectly know a 23 year old girl recently OD'ed.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

out in LI serious problem with Heroin and prescription drugs

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=dmitexxi;4503154]out in LI serious problem with Heroin and prescription drugs[/QUOTE]

Prescription drugs, absolutely. Actually the more I think about it, I remember ecstasy being big in high school. Special K. Even now, I hardly ever see kids doing heroin. Coke, once in a while.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Owen Reed;4502881]My kid is 13, going into 8th grade. No sign of pot use yet.

Personally, I can't wait until he's in high school and finds a reliable source.[/QUOTE]

:P

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=shakin318;4503015]I'm handling it tonight. It will be fine, he's a good kid and will sh:t a brick when he realizes I found it. I will report back tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

Smoking some weed certainly doesnt make him a bad kid.....however a few missing details

How old is the young lad? 14 and younger...too young,,,no matter what,,,20 year grounding. 15 and older, be on the lookout and discourage but don't become a narc either....that will push them firther to hide it.

How is his grades? always a factor

Finally.....how you handle it is your business,,,,but kids get into a lot more trouble with alcohol....

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=dmitexxi;4503154]out in LI serious problem with [B]Heroin and prescription drugs[/B][/QUOTE]

They kind of go together nowadays. oxy, vicodin, etc, dont do the trick, heroin is the next stop. And you can smoke it or snort without using needles.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=2milehighJet;4503277]They kind of go together nowadays. oxy, vicodin, etc, dont do the trick, heroin is the next stop. And you can smoke it or snort without using needles.[/QUOTE]

I thought I was badass in high school when I did a hit of THC.:huh:

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dcat;4503148]Heroin is rampant at the high school here in Sparta, NJ. No less than 4 overdose deaths in the last year among Sparta teens and young adults. Somewhere along the way, the new, cheap, easily acquired heroin became the drug of choice. I hear it's the same on other middle class and affluent towns. Its not like heroin use of the 60's and 70's. Very serious problem.[/QUOTE]

+1, it's an emerging problem in my town. Absolutely ridiculous.

This thread raises an interesting question for myself. I'm getting married soon, and I've never tried weed in my life. Ever. I just wasn't ever interested in it. My fiancee never tried it either. It's not like we're all goody two shoes, it's just not something we ever had a desire to partake in.

Well one day we'll have kids, and neither of us have any experience to draw on in this regard.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Bonhomme Richard;4503393]+1, it's an emerging problem in my town. Absolutely ridiculous.

This thread raises an interesting question for myself. I'm getting married soon, and I've never tried weed in my life. Ever. I just wasn't ever interested in it. My fiancee never tried it either. It's not like we're all goody two shoes, it's just not something we ever had a desire to partake in.

Well one day we'll have kids, and neither of us have any experience to draw on in this regard.[/QUOTE]

This is your brain not on drugs...think about it...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Bonhomme Richard;4503393]+1, it's an emerging problem in my town. Absolutely ridiculous.

Well one day we'll have kids, and neither of us have any experience to draw on in this regard.[/QUOTE]

Let me know what time you guys try it tomorrow night and I'll send the dominoes.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

[B]This thread raises an interesting question for myself[/B]. I'm getting married soon, and I've never tried weed in my life. Ever. I just wasn't ever interested in it. My fiancee never tried it either. It's not like we're all goody two shoes, it's just not something we ever had a desire to partake in.

So what's the question?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Peebag;4503400]This is your brain not on drugs...think about it...[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/keanu-reeves-whoa.jpg[/IMG]

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    ok, had the chat. He clearly had no idea it was coming, and he was home all day, which means he didn't realize I found it, which means he's not a daily torcher.

Sat him down, looked him in the eye and asked him if he knows how long weed stays in your system. He got the big eyed "oh sh:t" face. "Whu?" So I asked him again. "Do you know how long weed stays in your system?"

.....homina homina homina, um "No."

That's when I took out the home drug test kit, and put it on the table in between us.

"..gulp..."...flop sweat....

I said "weed stays in your bloodstream for around a month. So if a kid were to be tested every couple of weeks, he'd get caught every time."

The oh sh:t face turned into the sheepish red-faced "I'm bagged" face.

"I want you to go up into your room and take a good look at everything that matters to you. Then I want you to imagine having none of it."

"Dad, I swear, it was only a cou-"//"[B][U]NONE OF IT[/U][/B]."

He shrunk in his chair and welled up a bit, more from embarrassment and shame than anything else -- he's a good kid and he knows he f-cked up. He said "I'm sorry."

I let it go at that.

Tomorrow I'll talk to him about some of the people we know who f-cked up their lives pretty royally through substance abuse, and how they pretty much started out with spliff before moving on to harder crap.

And he'll be pissing in a cup every couple of weeks for the forseeable future.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=shakin318;4503439]Tomorrow I'll talk to him about some of the people we know who f-cked up their lives pretty royally through substance abuse, and how they pretty much started out with spliff before moving on to harder crap.
    [/QUOTE]

So your going to introduce him to the pfail strip??? :dunno:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Apache 51;4503151]Bad sh*t out of Patterson is my understanding, indirectly know a 23 year old girl recently OD'ed.[/QUOTE]

Paterson is where they go to get it. Passaic prosecutor told me that they arrest a disproportionate number of teens/young adults from this pathetic little town.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=shakin318;4503439]ok, had the chat. He clearly had no idea it was coming, and he was home all day, which means he didn't realize I found it, which means he's not a daily torcher.

Sat him down, looked him in the eye and asked him if he knows how long weed stays in your system. He got the big eyed "oh sh:t" face. "Whu?" So I asked him again. "Do you know how long weed stays in your system?"

That's when I took out the home drug test kit, and put it on the table in between us.

I said "weed stays in your bloodstream for around a month. So if a kid were to be tested every couple of weeks, he'd get caught every time."

"I want you to go up into your room and take a good look at everything that matters to you. Then I want you to imagine having none of it."

He shrunk in his chair and welled up a bit, more from embarrassment and shame than anything else -- he's a good kid and he knows he f-cked up. He said "I'm sorry."

I let it go at that.

Tomorrow I'll talk to him about some of the people we know who f-cked up their lives pretty royally through substance abuse, and how they pretty much started out with spliff before moving on to harder crap.

And he'll be pissing in a cup every couple of weeks for the forseeable future.[/QUOTE]

i like your approach, well done.

i was gonna make a joke about bringing some of your kid's piss to the Hampur reunion, you know an inside-joke-within-an-inside-joke, "yo dawg, i heard you like jokes, so we put a joke in your joke so you can laugh at a joke while you laugh at your joke!" kind of deal...

but then i thought about how weird it would sound to tell a grown man to save his kid's piss to bring to a fictional party involving other grown men he only knows through an internwebz.

so i won't even bring it up.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice job

[QUOTE=shakin318;4503439]ok, had the chat. He clearly had no idea it was coming, and he was home all day, which means he didn't realize I found it, which means he's not a daily torcher.

I let it go at that.

And he'll be pissing in a cup every couple of weeks for the forseeable future.[/QUOTE]
    I have two boys (5 and 2 yrs old). I hope my kids never do illegal drugs. You handled it right and I'd like to thank you for sharing this experience. I think it will help me become proactive in letting my kids know that they don't need that stuff. Your child is lucky. My dad would of whipped me with his belt...maybe get a mark of the buckle for good measure. Times have changed. Now we gotta talk to kids and give them timeouts and take away their stuff---it's the harder path...but it's the right path. Love trumps fear.