Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bruschi: Choice between SB ring and HOF, a "no-brainer"

Bruschi: Choice between SB ring and HOF, a "no-brainer"

[url]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/06/28/for-bruschi-choice-between-super-bowl-ring-and-hof-is-a-no-brainer/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter[/url]

[QUOTE]Football is the ultimate team sport, and the ultimate goal of the ultimate team sport should be the ultimate objective for anyone who plays football.

That’s what former Patriots linebacker Tedy Bruschi believes, contrary to the views of former Chargers and Jets running back LaDainian Tomlinson, who said earlier this week on NBC SportsTalk that he’d take a career that ends in Canton over one that concludes with one or more Super Bowl rings on his fingers.

During Thursday’s SportsCenter loop, Bruschi makes the case for choosing a silver trophy over a bronze bust.

Bruschi explained that induction into the Hall of Fame is determined not on any field but by 44 voters. “A Super Bowl, a championship is something you earn,” Bruschi said. “And it’s something that can never be taken away. And no one can stop you from doing that.”

As to the inherently subjective process of picking the best of the best players for immortality, Bruschi says, “You can’t control that, but you can control winning.”

He’s right.

And let’s take it a step farther. Individual accomplishments necessarily mean nothing in a team sport. What matters is the team. So the goal for any member of any team should be success of the team, and true success of an NFL team is determined in one way. By winning a Super Bowl.

If, then, a player was a member of a Super Bowl-winning team, the player participated in an inherently shared success. Since that’s the objective of the game, winning a Super Bowl should carry more meaning than the Hall of Fame or any other external acknowledgement of the exploits of any one player.

That’s not to say the Hall of Fame should be disbanded. But any player in any team sport should aspire not to be a Hall of Famer but to be a champion.

For any athletes who don’t feel that way, there’s a whole bunch of individual sports out there.[/QUOTE]

I'm hearing him talk on ESPN and making his argument and I think he just sounds ridiculous.

It's a team sport, how can you individually earn a SB ring?? There's so many factors including your own teammates then can hold you back from getting a ring.

Jets Insider VIP
    Would anyone expect a player who isn't and never will be in the HOF, but who has a Super Bowl ring, to say otherwise? :rolleyes:

Both are great achievements, but here’s how it stacks up:
    1. Be a HOF player on a Superbowl winning team
    2. Be a HOF player
    3. Be on a Superbowl winning team

The fact the LT feels one way, and Bruschi another, just shows it’s human nature to think whatever you’ve done/achieved is best.

I happen to agree with LT, though.

Jets Insider VIP
    As a fan, I think it's great if a player from my team makes the HOF but the Lombardi is the goal.

As a player, both are great accomplishments. But here's the difference...

Plenty of sh!tty players get Super Bowl rings but no sh!tty players make the HOF.

[QUOTE=Monsterxman;4502965]Both are great achievements, but here’s how it stacks up:
    2. Be a HOF player

The fact the LT feels one way, and Bruschi another, just shows it’s human nature to think whatever you’ve done/achieved is best.

I happen to agree with LT, though.[/QUOTE]

Couple of retired players spinning their careers, not much to see here.

Banned
    Que up Jets fans response: "Too bad Bruschi doesn't have a legitimate Super Bowl ring."

[QUOTE=Monsterxman;4502965]Both are great achievements, but here’s how it stacks up:
    2. Be a HOF player

#1 really is: Sign a contract with whopping guaranteed money.

[QUOTE=PatsFanTX;4502990]Que up Jets fans response: "Too bad Bruschi doesn't have a legitimate Super Bowl ring."[/QUOTE]

Sports Science replayed the Tuck Rule, courtesy of the 2001 AFC divisional playoffs.

Should the Tuck Rule have been ruled
    a fumble?

The 2001 AFC divisional playoffs introduced the world to the Tuck Rule. The rule in question (NFL Rule 3, Section 22, Article 2, Note 2) stated that if a passer lost possession as he was attempting to tuck the ball back toward his body, it was a forward pass. But if the passer had already tucked the ball into his body and then lost possession, it was a fumble. Simple rule, no? Well, no. The Raiders were clinging to a 13-10 lead over the Patriots with 1:50 to play when on a first-and-10 from the Raiders' 42, Tom Brady dropped back to pass. We asked ESPN Sport Science to replay the rest. Here's what it found:

With his elbow cocked at roughly 80 degrees, the ball is at its highest point as Brady begins his throwing motion with his shoulders turned and his elbow moving forward.

During the motion, the ball moves forward one foot, but it's clear Brady has decided not to pass, as his elbow angle remains unchanged and the ball is moving downward. This is the start of the tuck.

As Brady brings the ball down, the angle between his elbow and torso decreases from 90 degrees -- a throwing motion -- to 45 degrees. The ball is now 18 inches from his face mask.

By the time Raiders CB Charles Woodson makes contact with the QB, Brady has placed both hands on the ball, which is now less than a foot from his chest, and his right arm is fully tucked against his torso. Woodson's hit jars the ball loose, and Raiders LB Greg Biekert falls on it.

Conclusion: On the field, the play was ruled
    a fumble, before the video judge overruled it and declared it an incomplete pass. Ten years later, we're overturning it again. Brady had brought the ball into his body and had tucked it with both hands. The play was a fumble. Raiders' ball.

Now, if only we could pull all the players out of retirement to finish the game.

David Carr just won a super bowl and I am sure he would rather have that ring than have Dan Marino's career. :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=FF2®;4502995]#1 really is: Sign a contract with whopping guaranteed money.[/QUOTE]

Gholston

2. Be a HOF player

LT is a Fool!! The New York Jets organization treated him with class, then when he was washed up, ripped the team and the players. He should not be allowed to show his sorry face in our training facility or Metlife stadium.

[QUOTE=revischrist;4503006]David Carr just won a super bowl and I am sure he would rather have that ring than have Dan Marino's career. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Didn't you know he deliberately sharted his career away so he could eventually be a backup with the SB winning Giants?

All League
    Why is this JAG talking about the HOF?

I'll say one thing. LT was consistent with that attitude when he played. He was more concerned with his career than a ring as he proved in several playoffs.

All League
    Pretty much everything Bruschi says is an argument for concussion research.

All Pro
    Of course Bruschi would make his argument. He was an average player who has three rings.

Of course LaDanian would make his argument. He's an all time great player who has no rings.

[QUOTE=MDL_JET;4502955][url]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/06/28/for-bruschi-choice-between-super-bowl-ring-and-hof-is-a-no-brainer/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter[/url]

I'm hearing him talk on ESPN and making his argument and I think he just sounds ridiculous.

It's a team sport, how can you individually earn a SB ring?? There's so many factors including your own teammates then can hold you back from getting a ring.[/QUOTE]

So says the ex player with very little talent and three tainted rings. What a surprise. Bruschi is such an ass clown.

Bruschi is irrelevant to this, LdT saying he'd rather go to the HoF than get a ring is the biggest B*tch-ass cop-out and fail of a quote I can possibly think of from a professional athlete. This is the ultimate sour grapes from Tomlinson.

Where were you when your boy Rivers was fighting for his life on a torn ACL in the AFCCG? Oh, that's right, on the bench, in your Darth Vader hood, sulking by yourself. I'm sure you were in lots of pain.
    Last edited by ASG0531; 06-28-2012 at 05:15 PM.

I agree with him.

The HOF immortalizes the player. The SB immortalizes the team. The HOF is a bigger honor for the individual player.