Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Most Overrated Players - per ESPN

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    For me number 1 is the great "Matty Ice"

He gets hyped as a top 6 or 7 qb and has crapped his pants every year in the playoffs

#2 is Michael Vick

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=mrcoops;4503100]Cam Newton? Over-rated? [I]Cam Newton[/I]?!?

As a rookie, he passed for over 4000 yards and 21 TDs, and added over 700 yards and 14 TDs on the ground. QB rating was a very respectable 84.5.

As a [B]rookie[/B].

Guy just had the most impressive rookie season of any QB in history. And somehow this makes him over-rated. :huh:[/QUOTE]

It gets to a point where folks will write anything just to stir stuff up. What a joke!!!

Just to put into perspective Can Newton has a chance to be the best QB of all time!!

Good Grief!!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cam was an absolute boss his rookie year. He is the definition of quieting the haters. Just hope he can develop his pocket skills and move on even further as a QB. I remember talking to a lot of Panthers fans who were livid when Luck elected to stay in school... I think they're ok with how it turned out.

Big Cam fan. Maybe his hype grew a bit too much, but he deserved most of it. He made the Panthers relevant and must-see TV. That's no easy feat.
    Last edited by ASG0531; 06-28-2012 at 09:45 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Raider9175;4503348]Your Delusional . Denarius moore started 10 games (played in thirteen) Had 33 receptions for 618 yards 18.7 average.

That a rookie WR who you forget about all the hidden yardage he lost out. See A Cromartie how many times did he pass interference Mr Moore. Not to mention when had healthy DMC there was no need to throw it as he did alot of damage in the running game.

That Raider three headed Wr corps oF DHB- had breakout season, Denarius Moore will be the go to wr this year and Jacoby Ford- just battled injuries all last year or would have put up some big receiving numbers if he was healthy. It's the fastest wr corps in the game.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94EH7akLKCM[/url][/QUOTE]

So what your saying is you think he is over rated? I'm saying he isn't because most people out side of Oakland don't know who he is. Which is pretty true. No one is puttine him in a top 20 or even 30 list but maybe you.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Did you chuckleheads miss the dust up caused by Alex Smith's comments on Cam Newton?

[QUOTE][I][URL="http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/05/27/alex-smith-cam-newton-and-judging-quarterbacks/"]“I could absolutely care less on yards per game,” Smith said. “I think that is a totally overblown stat because if you’re losing games in the second half, guess what, you’re like the Carolina Panthers and you’re going no-huddle the entire second half. Yeah, Cam Newton threw for a lot of 300-yard games. That’s great. You’re not winning, though.”[/URL][/I]
    [/QUOTE]
    It appears some other folks around the NFL agree with him.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;4503208]Anybody else expect to see another shot at Sanchez on this list:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Absolutely. But Cam... He replaced JetsNeedVick as my screen name when Vick went whiney...

Can't even read the article this retard wrote.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Charlie Brown;4503352]It gets to a point where folks will write anything just to stir stuff up. What a joke!!!

[B]Just to put into perspective Can Newton has a chance to be the best QB of all time!!
    [/B]
    Good Grief!![/QUOTE]

Just to put into perspective. This is exactly why they say he's overrated. ;)

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=IHATEDOLPHINS;4503349]For me number 1 is the great "Matty Ice"

He gets hyped as a top 6 or 7 qb and has crapped his pants every year in the playoffs

#2 is Michael Vick[/QUOTE]

Good points.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jxc;4503371]Did you chuckleheads miss the dust up caused by Alex Smith's comments on Cam Newton?

It appears some other folks around the NFL agree with him.[/QUOTE]

Alex's quote is more true than most would like to admit, but it's something a starting QB should never say about another qb. Cams stats looked nice, but he also didn't exactly put the team on his shoulders and win them games. They were still awful and had lots of opportunity to throw it around.

This is what rookie QBs need, and Steve young said as much about Sanchez. The great defense, and strong running game means Sanchez is told to manage the game, not screw it up for the team. This is less beneficial to QBs, and offenses in general, than having the freedom to make big plays, and mistakes.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DDNYjets;4503392]Good points.[/QUOTE]

Big disagree on Vick. When healthy, and on his game, Vick is unstoppable. No player in the league can do what he does.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=lageman4ever;4503123]Exactly ! The guy completely revived the lack-luster Panthers organization with his tremendous play and charisma.[/QUOTE]

I hate his "charisma." Reminds me of a spoiled little brat when I see his goddamned under armor commercial.

I can't stand Cam Newton.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=brex;4503089]Its an Insider article. So I'm not sure I can paste it - but here is the gist.

[url]http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8097170/nfl-champ-bailey-joe-flacco-afc-most-overrated-players[/url]

Basically the list is as follows:
    [U]AFC[/U]
    Joe Flacco (his passes over 11yds and over 20yds were dead last. Despite having better WRs, Flacco actually underperformed Colt McCoy)
    Jermaine Gresham (Probowler that even D Keller had better numbers)
    Champ Bailey (vertical yds per attempt ranked 73rd)
    [B]D'Brick Ferguson [/B](gave up more sacks than Wayne Hunter)
    Denarius Moore
    Joe Haden

[U]NFC[/U]
    Cam Newton (made Probowl despite being rank 16th in QBR)
    Nnamdi Asomugha (YPA was 57th in the league)
    Tony Gonzalez (YPA was 23rd in the league)
    Brandon Browner
    Michael Bush (40th most productive RB despite 14mil contract)
    DeAngelo Hall (fourth worst CB in the league based on VYPA)
    David Akers (13 for 20 on kicks over 40yds)[/QUOTE]

I would laugh but it's too funny.It only took them 6yrs

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ubrnostrum;4503396]I hate his "charisma." Reminds me of a spoiled little brat when I see his goddamned under armor commercial.

I can't stand Cam Newton.[/QUOTE]

This must make you seethe:

[youtube]_nzIC4BPCc8[/youtube]

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

#2 is Michael Vick[/QUOTE]

Vick is #1 on my list. Cam is already better IMO. How a guy can have a career QBR of under 81 and have never had a 4000 yard season and still be put in so many top tens is mind blowing. I just don't see how he is any better to have then average QBs like Cutler, Ryan Fitzpatrick, or Palmer. Much less guys like, Rivers, Ben, Schaub, Eli, Romo, Brady, Manning, Brees, Ryan, Flacco, Cam, or Stafford. I can't believe a decade later we are still hearing excuses why he can't get it done on a regular basis. How about he just isn't that good?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=brex;4503089]Its an Insider article. So I'm not sure I can paste it - but here is the gist.

[url]http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8097170/nfl-champ-bailey-joe-flacco-afc-most-overrated-players[/url]

Basically the list is as follows:
    [U]AFC[/U]
    Joe Flacco (his passes over 11yds and over 20yds were dead last. Despite having better WRs, Flacco actually underperformed Colt McCoy)
    Jermaine Gresham (Probowler that even D Keller had better numbers)
    Champ Bailey (vertical yds per attempt ranked 73rd)
    D'Brick Ferguson (gave up more sacks than Wayne Hunter)
    Denarius Moore
    Joe Haden

[U]NFC[/U]
    Cam Newton (made Probowl despite being rank 16th in QBR)
    Nnamdi Asomugha (YPA was 57th in the league)
    Tony Gonzalez (YPA was 23rd in the league)
    Brandon Browner
    Michael Bush (40th most productive RB despite 14mil contract)
    DeAngelo Hall (fourth worst CB in the league based on VYPA)
    David Akers (13 for 20 on kicks over 40yds)[/QUOTE]

Flacco - No complaint. He's a game manager, not a quarterback.
    Gresham - No complaint. Average TE.
    Bailey - Of course. He's 35 years old. What do you expect at this point?
    Ferguson - This adds more to what many have said: The Jets slid the protection to the left side last year to help a struggling Ferguson.
    Moore & Haden - Wrong. Under-rated.

Newton - Started off hot, finished cold, but that's what most rookies do. Not over-rated.
    Asomougha - Philadelphia tried to fit a square peg in a round hole by playing zone. Aso is a man cover corner.
    Gonzalez - Again, he's old. What do they expect? Can't produce like a Top 3 player at your position forever.
    Browner - Under-rated, physical corner.
    Bush - Chicago rated him perfectly: Good #2 change of pace back.
    Hall - Long time over-rated player. Probably the best name here. Shows up for 4-6 games a year, max.
    Akers - The ultimate compiler of meaningless kicks.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

He gets hyped as a top 6 or 7 qb and has crapped his pants every year in the playoffs[/QUOTE]

And it's not like he doesn't have the talent. For years he has had Roddy White, Michael Turner, Tony Gonazalez and Harry Douglas, and this year Julio Jones. No excuse. Though it should be worth mentioning that the team Atlanta loses to ultimately winds up winning the Super Bowl (Green Bay, Giants) or just falling short due to an all-time great catch (Arizona).

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dreamers;4503366]So what your saying is you think he is over rated? I'm saying he isn't because most people out side of Oakland don't know who he is. Which is pretty true. No one is puttine him in a top 20 or even 30 list but maybe you.[/QUOTE]

Here is the point. How is a rookie fifth round(wr) draft choice overrated. IF there was any high expectations for him he would have went much higher in the draft. There is no doubt in time he will be a top ten receiver in this league. The Kid is that talented.

Darrius Heyward- Bey to me despite having a breakout year (finished in top twenty) is more overrated than Moore. He their third best wr(not as good as D moore and Jacoby Ford) While he made ridiculous strides last year in all phases of his game, he still needs to improve on certain aspects of his game to make that next jump. The expectations for him are a lot higher as a former high number 1 draft choice.
    Last edited by Raider9175; 06-29-2012 at 07:31 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jxc;4503371]Did you chuckleheads miss the dust up caused by Alex Smith's comments on Cam Newton?

It appears some other folks around the NFL agree with him.[/QUOTE]

What's funny is Alex Smith was the one losing games before everything around him became perfect and he was handed a top five rushing game and the best defense in football. Alex Smith, Joe Flacco and Mark Sanchez. Poster boys for what a game manager, not a quarterback, is. Top tier ground game and defense, or else there's no success coming.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I really believe that Cam Newton is Great.....

Here is a long article on his response to Smith's IMO jealous statements about him......

Cam Newton needs to be himself

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    By Pat Yasinskas

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- If you thought the flap over San Francisco 49ers quarterback Alex Smith's comments about Carolina Panthers quarterback Cam Newton a few weeks back was the start of a feud that would linger for years, you missed the whole point by a mile.

Although some Carolina teammates got upset when Smith implied that Newton’s record-setting rookie statistics were overblown, Newton didn’t miss the point at all. In fact, without ever mentioning Smith’s name, Newton acknowledged the basic premise was right Tuesday when asked about his goals for the 2012 season. The question begged for a plural answer. Newton chopped it straight down to the singular.

“Winning,’’ Newton said. “That's all we play this game for is to get that W. That's it.’’

There was no mention of following up a 4,000-yard passing season with a 5,000-yard season. There was no mention of breaking his own record for rushing touchdowns in a season (14) by a quarterback. There was no mention of anything statistical at all. All Newton wanted to talk about was winning.

“In my job description, it says win at all costs,’’ Newton said.

See, no matter what the critics said about Newton before the Panthers took him first overall in the 2011 draft, and no matter how angered teammates and fans might have been about Smith’s comments, Newton truly is all about winning. He always has been and always will be.

This is a guy who won a junior college national championship at Blinn College and followed it up with another national title at Auburn. Despite all that, there were critics who said Newton was nothing more than a showman, and he didn’t have the desire to be great on the NFL level.

Although others agreed with that assessment, Carolina general manager Marty Hurney, who was getting ready to make the most important draft decision of his life, began doing his homework. He saw something completely different.

“The first thing that struck me when I first met him was his desire to win and to be the best player and the best quarterback he could be,’’ Hurney said. “He has a great concept of the history of the game and where he wants to fit in. He knows that if he wants to fit where he wants to fit, that he has to win games to do that. He knows that winning defines where he fits.’’

Where does Newton want to fit?

“I think he wants to be the best,’’ Hurney said.

Then, there were all those who raised their eyebrows when Newton threw some sideline fits and showed a lot of frustration as the Panthers went 6-10 last season. They said Newton was immature.

They missed the point of what Newton is about by two miles.

“I’ll tell you this about Cam: Everything about him is real,’’ said Panthers quarterbacks coach Mike Shula. “He’s the same with me, the other coaches, the other players, the media and everyone he interacts with. He’s just real all the time. And part of Cam being real is that he hates to lose as much or more than anyone I’ve ever seen. When he wins, he has a lot of fun. Winning equals fun in his life. That’s what drives him.’’

That’s why last season wasn’t fun for Newton. It also may be why he recently said he wasn’t a good teammate as a rookie.

“I’m still trying to figure out where the heck that came from, because I don’t agree with that at all,’’ Hurney said. “I thought he was a tremendous teammate last year. The fact is, yeah, he got mad after losing. Heck, I like that. What’s wrong with that?’’

Absolutely nothing.

Newton wants to keep his emotions in check in the future. That’s a nice idea, and you have to expect that a 23-year-old naturally will continue to mature. But maybe there’s an easier way to avoid having television cameras record every pout and irritating the media by taking a long time to talk after a loss.

Maybe the best way to avoid all that is to simply stop losing.

“You don’t ever want players to get in the habit of being satisfied with losing and saying, 'I’ll get them next week,'’’ Shula said. “[B]As the leader of this football team, you can lead by example. He does that just by being himself and letting everyone see how serious he is about letting this football team win.’’
    [/B]
    Newton may be working to tone things down, but the Panthers aren’t encouraging that. They know what drives Newton, and they don’t want that to disappear.

“I know he won’t ever lose that burning desire to win and that hurt when you lose,’’ Hurney said. “You have to have that hurt-when-you-lose attitude in this league to be able to do the things that it takes to win.’’

[B]Newton doesn’t need to change his demeanor or his attitude at all. He just needs to build on what he did last year. That should be a natural process. After missing all of last offseason because of the lockout, Newton is getting a full offseason with his coaches and his playbook for the first time. Offensive coordinator Rob Chudzinski has a famously large playbook.[/B]

“You want to come look at my playbook?’’ Newton said. “I'm telling you, man, it ain't on the Atkins diet, I can tell you that.’’

The Panthers didn’t really scale back the playbook for Newton last year. He had to know as many as 115 pass plays. Word around Bank of America Stadium is the playbook has put on a few extra pounds this offseason.

“We’ll continue to build on the things we did well,’’ Shula said. “We want him to expand his world, and he wants to expand his world. Otherwise, people will figure him out and stop him in a hurry.’’

Let the rest of the world try to figure Newton out. The Panthers already know what they have. That’s a quarterback with a burning desire to win. No need to tinker with that.

Let Newton simply be himself and get better play from a revamped defense that was devastated by injuries last year.

Those things alone might add up to a winning record -- and a very happy quarterback.

Cam is about winning and that is all you can ask

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Charlie Brown;4503352]

Just to put into perspective Can Newton has a chance to be the best QB of all time!!

[/QUOTE]

:eek:

After one year, don't you think that prediction might be a wee bit premature?