Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Most Overrated Players - per ESPN

Most Overrated Players - per ESPN

Its an Insider article. So I'm not sure I can paste it - but here is the gist.

[url]http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8097170/nfl-champ-bailey-joe-flacco-afc-most-overrated-players[/url]

Basically the list is as follows:
    [U]AFC[/U]
    Joe Flacco (his passes over 11yds and over 20yds were dead last. Despite having better WRs, Flacco actually underperformed Colt McCoy)
    Jermaine Gresham (Probowler that even D Keller had better numbers)
    Champ Bailey (vertical yds per attempt ranked 73rd)
    D'Brick Ferguson (gave up more sacks than Wayne Hunter)
    Denarius Moore
    Joe Haden

[U]NFC[/U]
    Cam Newton (made Probowl despite being rank 16th in QBR)
    Nnamdi Asomugha (YPA was 57th in the league)
    Tony Gonzalez (YPA was 23rd in the league)
    Brandon Browner
    Michael Bush (40th most productive RB despite 14mil contract)
    DeAngelo Hall (fourth worst CB in the league based on VYPA)
    David Akers (13 for 20 on kicks over 40yds)

All Pro
    Cam Newton? Over-rated? [I]Cam Newton[/I]?!?

As a rookie, he passed for over 4000 yards and 21 TDs, and added over 700 yards and 14 TDs on the ground. QB rating was a very respectable 84.5.

As a [B]rookie[/B].

Guy just had the most impressive rookie season of any QB in history. And somehow this makes him over-rated. :huh:

[QUOTE=mrcoops;4503100]Cam Newton? Over-rated? [I]Cam Newton[/I]?!?

As a rookie, he passed for over 4000 yards and 21 TDs, and added over 700 yards and 14 TDs on the ground. QB rating was a very respectable 84.5.

As a [B]rookie[/B].

Guy just had the most impressive rookie season of any QB in history. And somehow this makes him over-rated. :huh:[/QUOTE]

Exactly ! The guy completely revived the lack-luster Panthers organization with his tremendous play and charisma.

Joe Haden is definitely not overrated.

Cam Newton had a great rookie year, but was absolutely overrated by the end of the year. People were talking about him as if he were a top 10 QB. He might be this year, but he definitely wasn't last year.

Jets Insider VIP
    Anybody else expect to see another shot at Sanchez on this list:rolleyes:

Banned
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;4503208]Anybody else expect to see another shot at Sanchez on this list:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Who is more deserving to be on the list?

Sanchez or Newton?

As a [B]rookie[/B].

Guy just had the most impressive rookie season of any QB in history. And somehow this makes him over-rated. :huh:[/QUOTE]

Agreed that's assanine. Same thing with asomaghua he had one mediocre year in Philly.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;4503210]Who is more deserving to be on the list?

Sanchez or Newton?[/QUOTE]

GFY!;)

[QUOTE=brex;4503089]Its an Insider article. So I'm not sure I can paste it - but here is the gist.

[url]http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8097170/nfl-champ-bailey-joe-flacco-afc-most-overrated-players[/url]

Basically the list is as follows:
    [U]AFC[/U]
    Joe Flacco (his passes over 11yds and over 20yds were dead last. Despite having better WRs, Flacco actually underperformed Colt McCoy)
    Jermaine Gresham (Probowler that even D Keller had better numbers)
    Champ Bailey (vertical yds per attempt ranked 73rd)
    D'Brick Ferguson (gave up more sacks than Wayne Hunter)
    Denarius Moore
    Joe Haden

[U]NFC[/U]
    Cam Newton (made Probowl despite being rank 16th in QBR)
    Nnamdi Asomugha (YPA was 57th in the league)
    Tony Gonzalez (YPA was 23rd in the league)
    Brandon Browner
    Michael Bush (40th most productive RB despite 14mil contract)
    DeAngelo Hall (fourth worst CB in the league based on VYPA)
    David Akers (13 for 20 on kicks over 40yds)[/QUOTE]

I apologize for the multiple posts but what a horrible list! Haden is a very good corner, Akers has one of the best percentages as a kicker ever, tony g is a hof TE and I said my peace about Nnamdi and newton. What about chad ochocinco, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Crabtree, Dez Bryant, Mike Jenkins, Deangelo williams, Alex smith, Sanford routt, Jermichael Finley, And tony romo. I think this list is much better.

He's spot on about D'Brick. Top paid tackle who cant' run or pass block. Yeah ground n pound my A$$!!

Hall Of Fame
    LOL.

Joe Haden is underrated.
    All Joe Flacco has done is go to the playoffs 4 years in a row and deliver a pass that should have put his team in the SB.

How can Cam be overrated. He only played one year.

They hit the nail on the head with Brick. Sorry.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=PatsFanTX;4503210]Who is more deserving to be on the list?

Sanchez or Newton?[/QUOTE]

You clearly didnt read the title of the list. For anyone to consider Sanchez over rated is comical, the guy is never mentioned as the top QB in any category.

Sanchez and Ferguson belong on that list. They both suck.

The only thing is, Ferguson can improve and likely will. Not so sure with Sanchez.

As a [B]rookie[/B].

I agree with you. But the list is intending weigh 2011 accolades vs 2011 performance. I would love to have some of those guys in the Jets - definitely. Gresham and Gonzales made the ProBowl, but they weren't even the best TEs. Brick also made the ProBowl, but even he admits he had a down year. And last year Nnamdi got torched a few times (and he was supposedly on the same level as Revis in 2010)

[QUOTE=Mainejet;4503241]Sanchez and Ferguson belong on that list. They both suck.

The only thing is, Ferguson can improve and likely will. Not so sure with Sanchez.[/QUOTE]

Brick is on the list. He made the ProBowl - hence overrated.

I don't think ANYONE rates Sanchez high - hence not overrated

The one thing that list has going for it is it actually names players who are highly rated.

But I disagree that most of them are overrated.

Sacks allowed stat is so overrated, Brick had a down year (also had a foot injury that went largely unnoticed) but still that stat sucks for the most part.

Here is my thoughts on this.

1st Flacco has played good. The fact that Boldin has been done sense he signed with the Ravens has more to do with his lack of production. No one is ranking him as a top 10 QB so I fail to see how he is over rated. As far as better WRs yeah most teams have better WRs then the friggen Browns. It is easy to have a lot of 10+ yard plays when your always 20 points down.

Jermaine Gresham - At 6'7 265 lbs is not an easy man to stop. Sure maybe a product of his QB but you can say the same of Gronk and Finley. Production is production he get top 5 #s.

Bailey? - Dude is like 40 and his talent has declined more then most ever have. Still a top 10 CB NO but I don't think any one is still saying he is after last year. Maybe is you just go by money but play wise is not seen as a top player any more.

DBrick - I disagree but it is hard to be partial. One off year doesn't mean you are over rated. He is still in his prime.

Denarius Moore - WHO?? Really a guy that made what 30 catches last year and most couldn't pick out of a line up is over rated? Dude isn't even a starter in Oakland.

Joe Harden - I'd like a reason on this one. Dude is the best player in Cleveland hands down. What 36 37 pass deflects in his 1st 2 years on a team most just run against all day.

Newton - Normally I'd agree but not for that reason at all. Rookie QBs normally make the pro bowl when they have stats like that. Also how many QBs opted out of the pro bowl last year? Pro bowls mean squat. He was the 7th best QB in the AFC last year. You want to talk over rated look at the games he "won". They are all games where they kept his throws to a minimum. Exp one where he had 158 yards. lol Over rated maybe but he is young and a new look. I'd still take him over Romo, Vick, Cutler, or Smith.

Nnamdi Asomugha - agreed is not a shut down CB as advertised

Tony Gonzalez - Anther almost 40 year old? He had like 80 catches and over 800 yards again last year. How is he over rated when he is perhaps the most consistent TE to ever play the game? Also unlike most catching TEs he can block!

Brandon Browner - I honestly had to look the guy up that is how often I have heard the name. 23 PD and 6 INTs his 1st year and was undrafted. At 27 I doubt he is making many top 10 CB lists. He had a great year give him props.

Bush - I agree

DeAngelo Hall - Hasn't been ranked high in years and puts up good #s. And yes when your Ss suck and your not a tackling CB your VYPA is high.

David Akers - WOW Akers? He was money last year and has been for a very long time. Yeah maybe not the best K in the league but at 38 going 7-9 on 50+! You have to wonder why Andy didn't use that when he was in his prime. He had more points then the QB on the team.

[QUOTE=brex;4503268]Brick is on the list. He made the ProBowl - hence overrated.

[B]I don't think ANYONE rates Sanchez high - hence not overrated[/B]
    [/QUOTE]

You obviously cannot be reading this board.:rolleyes: Just ask the masses what they think of Sanchez. It is virtually IMPOSSIBLE for most here to take the green colored shades off and be objective about Sanchez's long term success. Or should I say, lack thereof?

[QUOTE=Dreamers;4503321]Here is my thoughts on this.

1st Flacco has played good. The fact that Boldin has been done sense he signed with the Ravens has more to do with his lack of production. No one is ranking him as a top 10 QB so I fail to see how he is over rated. As far as better WRs yeah most teams have better WRs then the friggen Browns. It is easy to have a lot of 10+ yard plays when your always 20 points down.

Jermaine Gresham - At 6'7 265 lbs is not an easy man to stop. Sure maybe a product of his QB but you can say the same of Gronk and Finley. Production is production he get top 5 #s.

Bailey? - Dude is like 40 and his talent has declined more then most ever have. Still a top 10 CB NO but I don't think any one is still saying he is after last year. Maybe is you just go by money but play wise is not seen as a top player any more.

DBrick - I disagree but it is hard to be partial. One off year doesn't mean you are over rated. He is still in his prime.

Denarius Moore - WHO?? Really a guy that made what 30 catches last year and most couldn't pick out of a line up is over rated? Dude isn't even a starter in Oakland.

Joe Harden - I'd like a reason on this one. Dude is the best player in Cleveland hands down. What 36 37 pass deflects in his 1st 2 years on a team most just run against all day.

Newton - Normally I'd agree but not for that reason at all. Rookie QBs normally make the pro bowl when they have stats like that. Also how many QBs opted out of the pro bowl last year? Pro bowls mean squat. He was the 7th best QB in the AFC last year. You want to talk over rated look at the games he "won". They are all games where they kept his throws to a minimum. Exp one where he had 158 yards. lol Over rated maybe but he is young and a new look. I'd still take him over Romo, Vick, Cutler, or Smith.

Nnamdi Asomugha - agreed is not a shut down CB as advertised

Tony Gonzalez - Anther almost 40 year old? He had like 80 catches and over 800 yards again last year. How is he over rated when he is perhaps the most consistent TE to ever play the game? Also unlike most catching TEs he can block!

Brandon Browner - I honestly had to look the guy up that is how often I have heard the name. 23 PD and 6 INTs his 1st year and was undrafted. At 27 I doubt he is making many top 10 CB lists. He had a great year give him props.

Bush - I agree

DeAngelo Hall - Hasn't been ranked high in years and puts up good #s. And yes when your Ss suck and your not a tackling CB your VYPA is high.

David Akers - WOW Akers? He was money last year and has been for a very long time. Yeah maybe not the best K in the league but at 38 going 7-9 on 50+! You have to wonder why Andy didn't use that when he was in his prime. He had more points then the QB on the team.[/QUOTE]

Your Delusional . Denarius moore started 10 games (played in thirteen) Had 33 receptions for 618 yards 18.7 average.

That a rookie WR who you forget about all the hidden yardage he lost out. See A Cromartie how many times did he pass interference Mr Moore. Not to mention when had healthy DMC there was no need to throw it as he did alot of damage in the running game.

That Raider three headed Wr corps oF DHB- had breakout season, Denarius Moore will be the go to wr this year and Jacoby Ford- just battled injuries all last year or would have put up some big receiving numbers if he was healthy. It's the fastest wr corps in the game.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94EH7akLKCM[/url]
    Last edited by Raider9175; 06-28-2012 at 09:38 PM.