Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 183

Thread: SI Ranks Mark SANCHEZ as #8 BUST 2012

  1. #21
    Saying that Sanchez is a bust for FF is no surprise to anyone. Look at the offensive weapons that the FO surrounded him with this year.

    I like Sanchez more than most nfl fans, but to say he led the jets in 2009 and 2010 is a stretch, Like saying Dilfer led the Ravens, or Johnson the Bucs.

    NFL QBs play with backups on the oline all the time. Brady and Rogers (and a host of other QBs) played behind o-lines that had practice squad players from the year before starting.

    Burress and Mason were brought in by the same front office that is there this year. Be careful with what you say, when you say they hit a home run this off season.

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Saying that Sanchez is a bust for FF is no surprise to anyone. Look at the offensive weapons that the FO surrounded him with this year.

    I like Sanchez more than most nfl fans, but to say he led the jets in 2009 and 2010 is a stretch, Like saying Dilfer led the Ravens, or Johnson the Bucs.

    NFL QBs play with backups on the oline all the time. Brady and Rogers (and a host of other QBs) played behind o-lines that had practice squad players from the year before starting.

    Burress and Mason were brought in by the same front office that is there this year. Be careful with what you say, when you say they hit a home run this off season.
    Well put. Not saying that Sanchez carried the team throughout those two seasons but he does play exceptional when the game is on the line and in big games. You have to give him that.

  3. #23
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    The Big Apple, USA
    Posts
    22,859
    I'd rank SI as the #1 or #2 bust in the category of sports magazines....

    they really are better when they stick to the favorite sports of their readers -- Americas Cup sailing, polo and yachting and tennis and stay away from serious sports that American sports fans actually care about

  4. #24
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    21,246
    With regard to the article, IT IS A FF ARTICLE. The Jets offense will never be conducive to producing a top FF QB. I don't care if he is the worst FF QB in the league, as long as we win games. Now whoever posted should have understood that it is a FF article and put it in the FF forum.

    Now TC is a month away and before you know it the games will be for real. Everything will be proven then. This is going to be a very telling year.

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by NY2FLDWC85 View Post
    I have a couple of honest questions that I'd like to ask you, I'd appreciate a couple of well thought our answers for each and every question. Lets talk football.

    Was an aging 34-35 year old Plaxico Burees, who spent 3 years away from the game of football incarcerated in a prison cell considered as being "the best of everything"? You know, the same Plaxico Burress who was completely useless between the 20's as Mark's #2 WR? Keep in mind, we're talking about the same washed up WR (has been) that couldn't even land an invite to the Carolina Panthers training camp this offseason.

    Was an aging 37 year old Derrick Mason, as our starting slot WR for 5 weeks considered as being "the best of everything" in regards to the overall development of Mark Sanchez? Lets not act like Mason only putting up 13 receptions for 115 receiving yards and 0 TD's was a product of Mark Sanchez struggling, because after being released from the Jets due to an inability to make plays on the football field, Mason got picked up by the Houston Texans and completely failed to put up anything more than 6 receptions for 55 yards and 0 TD's. He no longer has a team heading into the 2012 season. Is that what you consider as giving Sanchez "the best of everything"?

    What about throwing a late 5th round draft pick in Jeremy Kerley into the fire? Was throwing a raw rookie WR with no NFL experience and no experience with our first string unit considered as giving Sanchez "the best of everything" due to the fact that we were forced to release Derrick Mason? Kerley had just about zero snaps with the first string unit during training camp, preseason, practice and OTA's (oh yeah, we didn't have OTA's due to a lockout). Is that what you consider providing Sanchez with the "best of everythng" ala releasing his unproductive/unable to perform, 37 year old slot WR in Mason 5 weeks into the season, followed by throwing a raw rookie in Kerley into the fire as his slot WR?

    Was Turner going down for the season considered the best of everything? What about Vlad? You've bashed this "3rd year bust" all offseason. Was Vlad as our only potential backup to a struggling offensive line considered as giving Sanchez "the best of everything"? What about Wayne Hunter who couldn't be substituted for due to our bust on the bench in Vlad? Was that also considered to be the "best of everything" for Sanchez? ala having a starting RT in Hunter who continued to get beat like a drum throughout the entire course of the season? What about having to try and replace Nick Mangold with an undrafted rookie (Baxter) ala a rookie who wasn't with the team during the offseason. Was that situation considered as being the "best of everything" for Sanchez?

    I don't wanna hear about the defense, I don't wanna hear about this and that etc, etc... I wanna hear/see your response to all of the above ala the pieces that surrounded our quarterback last year. If the pieces above are considered to be the "best of everything", I'd like to see an honest answer to those questions.
    OK, so lets take this right from the top:

    1)Was an aging 34-35 year old Plaxico Burees, who spent 3 years away from the game of football incarcerated in a prison cell considered as being "the best of everything"? You know, the same Plaxico Burress who was completely useless between the 20's as Mark's #2 WR? Keep in mind, we're talking about the same washed up WR (has been) that couldn't even land an invite to the Carolina Panthers training camp this offseason.

    Yes, as a matter of fact he was. They provided Sanchez with big posession WR that so many teams covet but never get. You also conveniently fail to mention that Burress was one of the TD catching WR's. In fact, in 2010 Burress was instrumental in making Sanchez a far better red zone QB than he was in 2010. Is that providing Sanchez with the best of everything? Well, he was the best of what was available.

    And in regards to Burress's poor performance between the 20's, that is as much a function of Sanchez's poor play as it is Burress. The two of them lacked chemistry. After a season together, I am of the opinion that they have should have moved away from Plaxico Burress. But don't make it sound like it is all Burress's fault. Sanchez played his role.

    2) Was an aging 37 year old Derrick Mason, as our starting slot WR for 5 weeks considered as being "the best of everything" in regards to the overall development of Mark Sanchez? Lets not act like Mason only putting up 13 receptions for 115 receiving yards and 0 TD's was a product of Mark Sanchez struggling, because after being released from the Jets due to an inability to make plays on the football field, Mason got picked up by the Houston Texans and completely failed to put up anything more than 6 receptions for 55 yards and 0 TD's. He no longer has a team heading into the 2012 season. Is that what you consider as giving Sanchez "the best of everything"?

    The Jets had just lost Jerricho Cotchery and had no one to fill the void. They thought Jeremy Kerley could do it eventually, but they wanted a stop gap. Derrick Mason was the best of what was available. Mason did some complaining and was eventually released. Kerley came on big and did a good job. Was he as good of a solution as Jerricho Cotchery? Of course not. You weren't actually EXPECTING that were you?

    Bottom line is the Jets FO gave him the best of what they could at that particular moment and they ALWAYS have. Throughout his disappointing career.

    3) What about throwing a late 5th round draft pick in Jeremy Kerley into the fire? Was throwing a raw rookie WR with no NFL experience and no experience with our first string unit considered as giving Sanchez "the best of everything" due to the fact that we were forced to release Derrick Mason? Kerley had just about zero snaps with the first string unit during training camp, preseason, practice and OTA's (oh yeah, we didn't have OTA's due to a lockout). Is that what you consider providing Sanchez with the "best of everythng" ala releasing his unproductive/unable to perform, 37 year old slot WR in Mason 5 weeks into the season, followed by throwing a raw rookie in Kerley into the fire as his slot WR?

    Asked and answered. You make it sound like Kerley just sucks and was totally pathetic. FAR from it. Like I said already, "Was he as good a solution as an established veteran that had been with the team for his entire career?" No, of course not, that's ridiculous. And thinking you were going to get that out of ANY potential replacement is also equally ridiculous. But he was a much better replacement than Derrick Mason. He was also a sure handed WR that could have contributed much more if Sanchez had only known how to find him.

    4) Was Turner going down for the season considered the best of everything? What about Vlad? You've bashed this "3rd year bust" all offseason. Was Vlad as our only potential backup to a struggling offensive line considered as giving Sanchez "the best of everything"? What about Wayne Hunter who couldn't be substituted for due to our bust on the bench in Vlad? Was that also considered to be the "best of everything" for Sanchez? ala having a starting RT in Hunter who continued to get beat like a drum throughout the entire course of the season? What about having to try and replace Nick Mangold with an undrafted rookie (Baxter) ala a rookie who wasn't with the team during the offseason. Was that situation considered as being the "best of everything" for Sanchez?

    Turner would never have made a difference anyway. Turner had bad hands and needed more time to develop.

    Apparently, YOU (and only you, I might add ) thinks Vlad is a developmental pick that wasn't supposed to contribute at all in 2011. So stop trying to use him as an argument. You can't have it both ways.

    Instead, they had Wayne Hunter at RT. A guy who came through for us in a big way in the 2010 playoffs. He turned out to be an enormous bum. However, there was NO evidence to indicate that is what would happen. We thought he was a very able bodied short term replacement for Damien Woody. And even still, a FAR better player than Vlad Ducasse.

    Prior to that, he had one of the most dominant OL's in the entire league. An OL that entered the "zone" in the 2009 and 2010 playoffs. Not to mention, one of the top running games in those years. Once again, the very best of everything.

    5) I don't wanna hear about the defense, I don't wanna hear about this and that etc, etc... I wanna hear/see your response to all of the above ala the pieces that surrounded our quarterback last year. If the pieces above are considered to be the "best of everything", I'd like to see an honest answer to those questions.

    You don't want to hear about the defense? The defense is part of the reason why he's had the best of everything. So, sorry but you are going to hear about the defense.

    The Jets defense ranked over the last 3 seasons 1, 4, and 5. They pretty much always played stifling defense and gave Sanchez many more opportunities than most young QB's would get with the ball. They kept Sanchez in games. They always gave him the ball back quickly to keep him fresh.

    Yet Sanchez was still a NOTORIOUSLY slow starter. He would routinely take the first 20 minutes off of every game. When he did finally decide to play he was terribly inaccurate with his passes. He couldn't read defenses despite Schotty always putting a guy in motion which pretty much tips the defenses hand as to what coverage they are in. He made the very same immature, STUPID mistakes as he was making in his rookie season.

    So there you have it. Honest answers to all of your questions. TRUE answers to all of your questions.

    And if you don't believe me, go ask anyone outside of Kool Aid drinking fans that have completely biased opinions like yourself. Those people tell it like it is.

  6. #26
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    21,246
    It is obvious that this is about to turn into a 20 page argument that goes nowhere. Sprinkle in some name calling and cheap shots from the usual suspects. Neither one of you will be swayed either way. There is no point in trying to prove your side/point to the other person.

    Please save us the trouble and agree to disagree, respectfully. Emphasis on the "respectfully".




  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    It won't take a whole lot of pressure. Sanchez will definitely be on a short leash. He's been given the very best of everything and he's fallen flat on his face. Rex has that going through his mind right now. He's thinking, "what in the world is it going to take for this kid to catch on?" I gave him the best of everything and still he isn't getting it.

    Whether he chooses to say that or not, you know he's got to be thinking it. Rex isn't stupid. He just wants very much to be right about Sanchez and he would NEVER throw his young QB under the bus in front of the media. Those are his best qualities.

    Rex is rooting for Sanchez with all of his heart and soul, much the same way I am, but he knows something is going to have to change if he continues down the same path.
    please

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    OK, so lets take this right from the top:

    1)Was an aging 34-35 year old Plaxico Burees, who spent 3 years away from the game of football incarcerated in a prison cell considered as being "the best of everything"? You know, the same Plaxico Burress who was completely useless between the 20's as Mark's #2 WR? Keep in mind, we're talking about the same washed up WR (has been) that couldn't even land an invite to the Carolina Panthers training camp this offseason.

    Yes, as a matter of fact he was. They provided Sanchez with big posession WR that so many teams covet but never get. You also conveniently fail to mention that Burress was one of the TD catching WR's. In fact, in 2010 Burress was instrumental in making Sanchez a far better red zone QB than he was in 2010. Is that providing Sanchez with the best of everything? Well, he was the best of what was available.

    And in regards to Burress's poor performance between the 20's, that is as much a function of Sanchez's poor play as it is Burress. The two of them lacked chemistry. After a season together, I am of the opinion that they have should have moved away from Plaxico Burress. But don't make it sound like it is all Burress's fault. Sanchez played his role.

    2) Was an aging 37 year old Derrick Mason, as our starting slot WR for 5 weeks considered as being "the best of everything" in regards to the overall development of Mark Sanchez? Lets not act like Mason only putting up 13 receptions for 115 receiving yards and 0 TD's was a product of Mark Sanchez struggling, because after being released from the Jets due to an inability to make plays on the football field, Mason got picked up by the Houston Texans and completely failed to put up anything more than 6 receptions for 55 yards and 0 TD's. He no longer has a team heading into the 2012 season. Is that what you consider as giving Sanchez "the best of everything"?

    The Jets had just lost Jerricho Cotchery and had no one to fill the void. They thought Jeremy Kerley could do it eventually, but they wanted a stop gap. Derrick Mason was the best of what was available. Mason did some complaining and was eventually released. Kerley came on big and did a good job. Was he as good of a solution as Jerricho Cotchery? Of course not. You weren't actually EXPECTING that were you?

    Bottom line is the Jets FO gave him the best of what they could at that particular moment and they ALWAYS have. Throughout his disappointing career.

    3) What about throwing a late 5th round draft pick in Jeremy Kerley into the fire? Was throwing a raw rookie WR with no NFL experience and no experience with our first string unit considered as giving Sanchez "the best of everything" due to the fact that we were forced to release Derrick Mason? Kerley had just about zero snaps with the first string unit during training camp, preseason, practice and OTA's (oh yeah, we didn't have OTA's due to a lockout). Is that what you consider providing Sanchez with the "best of everythng" ala releasing his unproductive/unable to perform, 37 year old slot WR in Mason 5 weeks into the season, followed by throwing a raw rookie in Kerley into the fire as his slot WR?

    Asked and answered. You make it sound like Kerley just sucks and was totally pathetic. FAR from it. Like I said already, "Was he as good a solution as an established veteran that had been with the team for his entire career?" No, of course not, that's ridiculous. And thinking you were going to get that out of ANY potential replacement is also equally ridiculous. But he was a much better replacement than Derrick Mason. He was also a sure handed WR that could have contributed much more if Sanchez had only known how to find him.

    4) Was Turner going down for the season considered the best of everything? What about Vlad? You've bashed this "3rd year bust" all offseason. Was Vlad as our only potential backup to a struggling offensive line considered as giving Sanchez "the best of everything"? What about Wayne Hunter who couldn't be substituted for due to our bust on the bench in Vlad? Was that also considered to be the "best of everything" for Sanchez? ala having a starting RT in Hunter who continued to get beat like a drum throughout the entire course of the season? What about having to try and replace Nick Mangold with an undrafted rookie (Baxter) ala a rookie who wasn't with the team during the offseason. Was that situation considered as being the "best of everything" for Sanchez?

    Turner would never have made a difference anyway. Turner had bad hands and needed more time to develop.

    Apparently, YOU (and only you, I might add ) thinks Vlad is a developmental pick that wasn't supposed to contribute at all in 2011. So stop trying to use him as an argument. You can't have it both ways.
    Instead, they had Wayne Hunter at RT. A guy who came through for us in a big way in the 2010 playoffs. He turned out to be an enormous bum. However, there was NO evidence to indicate that is what would happen. We thought he was a very able bodied short term replacement for Damien Woody. And even still, a FAR better player than Vlad Ducasse.

    Prior to that, he had one of the most dominant OL's in the entire league. An OL that entered the "zone" in the 2009 and 2010 playoffs. Not to mention, one of the top running games in those years. Once again, the very best of everything.

    5) I don't wanna hear about the defense, I don't wanna hear about this and that etc, etc... I wanna hear/see your response to all of the above ala the pieces that surrounded our quarterback last year. If the pieces above are considered to be the "best of everything", I'd like to see an honest answer to those questions.

    You don't want to hear about the defense? The defense is part of the reason why he's had the best of everything. So, sorry but you are going to hear about the defense.

    The Jets defense ranked over the last 3 seasons 1, 4, and 5. They pretty much always played stifling defense and gave Sanchez many more opportunities than most young QB's would get with the ball. They kept Sanchez in games. They always gave him the ball back quickly to keep him fresh.

    Yet Sanchez was still a NOTORIOUSLY slow starter. He would routinely take the first 20 minutes off of every game. When he did finally decide to play he was terribly inaccurate with his passes. He couldn't read defenses despite Schotty always putting a guy in motion which pretty much tips the defenses hand as to what coverage they are in. He made the very same immature, STUPID mistakes as he was making in his rookie season.

    So there you have it. Honest answers to all of your questions. TRUE answers to all of your questions.

    And if you don't believe me, go ask anyone outside of Kool Aid drinking fans that have completely biased opinions like yourself. Those people tell it like it is.

    1.) Kerley was a nice reciever but gimmie a break. He was running the routes holmes and plax were running, or did you not watch the games?!? Imagine if Kerley lead the team in receptions. Plax and holmes mighta shot sanchez.

    2.)He was a developmental pick... Jayus do people outside of the tri-state area have trouble w/ reading??? It was said from day 1.

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    It is obvious that this is about to turn into a 20 page argument that goes nowhere. Sprinkle in some name calling and cheap shots from the usual suspects. Neither one of you will be swayed either way. There is no point in trying to prove your side/point to the other person.

    Please save us the trouble and agree to disagree, respectfully. Emphasis on the "respectfully".



    I hear what you are saying. And as you well know, I have been through it many a time. So don't feel the need to tell me where this thread will go, I already know.

    The poster I was responding to, however, is someone I've never gone toe to toe with in the past. It's a new experience. He also wanted a "football" conversation and no personal attacks. That is decidedly different than dealing with the likes of Jordy, JStokes, and SG3.

  10. #30
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Bergen County, NJ
    Posts
    20,115
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post

    Rex is rooting for Sanchez with all of his heart and soul, much the same way I am,

    _

  11. #31
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    21,246
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    I hear what you are saying. And as you well know, I have been through it many a time. So don't feel the need to tell me where this thread will go, I already know.

    The poster I was responding to, however, is someone I've never gone toe to toe with in the past. It's a new experience. He also wanted a "football" conversation and no personal attacks. That is decidedly different than dealing with the likes of Jordy, JStokes, and SG3.
    This is true. You are a seasoned vet. And this is new blood.

    Maybe you will be able to have a respectful argument with him. But I have already seen him do some name calling. And like I said, it is only a matter of time before the maggots find their way in.

  12. #32
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    13,953
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    It is obvious that this is about to turn into a 20 page argument that goes nowhere. Sprinkle in some name calling and cheap shots from the usual suspects. Neither one of you will be swayed either way. There is no point in trying to prove your side/point to the other person.

    Please save us the trouble and agree to disagree, respectfully. Emphasis on the "respectfully".



    over/under on the use of the term "suckchez"?

  13. #33
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    21,246
    Quote Originally Posted by freestater View Post
    over/under on the use of the term "suckchez"?
    LOL. From this point forward? In this thread? 58,763,842,842,684,268,426.

    But that is OK. I have no problem with people calling players names. The players are fair game. Especially the Sanchize.

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
    Compared to the situations that many other young QBs are thrown into ? Yeah, it does rank up there with being "the best of everything". Just ask guys like David Carr, Tim Couch, Alex Smith, yada, yada, yada.

    Was Sanchez thrown into an absolutely 100% perfect situation ? Nope. But guess what ? That kind of situation doesn't exist in reality. Now, having one of the top ranked offensive lines, coupled with one of the best rushing attacks in the NFL, along with one of the top rated defenses ? Kind of difficult to get any more "perfect" than that in the real world.
    yeah, and all Sanchez did with that situation was get within one half of the Super Bowl two years in a row.


    BUST!!!

  15. #35
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    52,055
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    yeah, and all Sanchez did with that situation was get within one half of the Super Bowl two years in a row.

  16. #36
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Manalapan, NJ/Boca Raton, Fl
    Posts
    15,569
    Quote Originally Posted by ColonelForbin View Post
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...58/3/index.htm

    (Bust#) 8 Mark SANCHEZ:
    "AS IF he wasn't already struggling to live up to the expectations placed on him by the New York media, Sanchez will have to learn a new offense (coordinator Tony Sparano has been brought in) while also battling a certain southpaw quarterback who is certain to at least take the red zone snaps, killing Sanchez's value. Don't rest your franchise's hopes on the Sanchise."

    Having not taken the first snap post ****ty, ranking Mark a bust is a bit unfair (Maybe ****tenforbrains was doing the judging). But I do think it's fair to ask, how many interceptions, losses and/or boneheaded mistakes will it take for Rex to be pressured by the fans into Tebowing?
    One day fools will realize that fantasy football ranking are completely different than football rankings.

    Who dives a sh1t if he moves the team downfield and Tebow gets the fantasy points by running the ball into the EZ?

    Fantasy football geeks and fantasy football geeks only.

  17. #37
    Its a FF article for ****s sake. Yes, Sanchez does stand to be a FF bust this year potentially, since its a new system and theres a guy poised to vulture red zone opportunities. Nothing new here.

  18. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    This is true. You are a seasoned vet. And this is new blood.

    Maybe you will be able to have a respectful argument with him. But I have already seen him do some name calling. And like I said, it is only a matter of time before the maggots find their way in.
    AGREED

  19. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri_0515 View Post
    Well put. Not saying that Sanchez carried the team throughout those two seasons but he does play exceptional when the game is on the line and in big games. You have to give him that.
    he played well in the playoffs then, with a better oline, running game and recievers, last year "he" lost the last 3 games when the season was on the line,
    including back to back with the teams 2 biggest rivals.

  20. #40
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    21,246
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Year 1, certainly.

    Year 2, he was at least riding shotgun. He played very well @ NE as we all remember. May have been the worst loss of the TB/BB era.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us