Page 1 of 40 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Lets talk football.

Banned

Lets talk football.

With training camp still a month away, what else (Jets related) can we talk about? I believe, that as a fan base, this fan site has covered everything in writing for months on end. So, I figured that I'd take the time and thought process to create a thread such as this one, something different, something that can change up the scenario/atmosphere heading into training camp; then it's full throttle/full force Jets fever. Every 2,3,4 pages or so, I'll throw out a different subject/question/topic of discussion. From rookies, to sleepers, fantasy picks, predicting of schedules and or/standings, sleeper teams, teams on the rise, teams on the decline, which teams had the best offseason (and why), players expected to break out, players expected to "fall back down to earth", etc, etc. I have lots of ideas in regards to topics of discussion, feel free to join in, contribute and change the topic of discussion at any time. I'll start it off.

Who's your predicted offensive and defensive rookies of the year? The key, you can only predict one of each. No multiple selections. Should make/create for a good 'bump of a thread' sometime next off season.
    Last edited by NY2FLDWC85; 06-29-2012 at 02:47 AM.

Banned
    Last 10 Offensive/Defensive rookies of the year.

2002: Clinton Portis & Julius Peppers.
    2003: Anquan Boldin & Terrell Suggs.
    2004: Ben Roethlisberger & Jonathan Vilma.
    2005: "Cadillac" Williams & Shawne Merriman.
    2006: Vince Young & DeMeco Ryans.
    2007: Adrian Peterson & Patrick Willis.
    2008: Matt Ryan & Jerod Mayo.
    2009: Percy Harvin & Brian Cushing.
    2010: Sam Bradford & Ndamukong Suh
    2011: Cam Newton & Von Miller.

Most of these previous rookie of the year winners have developed into 'the truth'. Which year instantly stands out to me? I'd have to say 2007 with Adrian Peterson and Patrick Willis. Roethlisberger and Vilma have also led their units (offense and defense) to Super Bowl championships. I'd have to rank Cadillac Williams and Merriman of 2005 as the weakest group of rookie of the year winners. Ryan and Mayo of 2008 aren't all that impressive either. Got a little side tracked for a second there, now it's time for the meat and potatoes of this topic of discussion.

5 QB's, 3 RB's and 2 WR's have taken home the award over the past 10 seasons. What's that tell me? That offensive lineman, tight ends and fullbacks aren't likely to win this award. QB's have the advantage while both RB's and WR's are fair game. 8 of these 10 winners were first round draft picks. Portis and Boldin were both 2nd round draft picks. What's this tell me? I'm looking inside the 1st round for my up coming ROY.

5 MLB's, 3 OLB's, 1 DE and 1 DT have taken home this award over the past 10 seasons. What's this show me? That secondary players (unless your a Charles Woodson type of prospect) aren't going to make enough impact plays to take home this award. Freaks of nature DE's such as Peppers and monster types of DT's such as Suh stand a fighting chance. This award has been dominated by MLB's and OLB's over the past 10 years with MLB holding a 50/30 advantage over OLB's due to the amount of tackles they're able to wrack up. 9 of these 10 winners were first round draft picks. Ryans was the only 2nd round draft pick, but went very high as the 1st pick of the 2nd round. Whats this telling me? I'm going with a first round selection this up coming season.

OFFENSIVE ROOKIE OF THE YEAR: RB, Trent Richardson, Cleveland Browns.

Why would I go with a RB over the likes of top rated QB's such as Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin III? To me, it's a combination of things. Trent Richardson is the closest thing I've seen to AP coming out of college since Adrian Peterson himself. He has the overall size, strength and speed to go along with a physical 227-pound frame, and also rushes the football with lots of impact power. He's my lock to take it home for the Cleveland Browns.

We all know that Andrew Luck has been ranked as the highest rated QB coming out since Elway. If you were to ask me, he's a lock to develop into a very good to great player, but he's not in a Sanchez type of situation situation (great defense, ground and pound offense, top of the line offensive line etc, etc). He's in more of a Ryan Leaf type of situation. That Colts defense is a shell of what it once was, they may not protect their QB by keeping points off the board, and he's walking into a 2-14 type of situation. I can envision/picture Luck having a 1998 Peyton Manning type of rookie season. May develop him into a stronger QB as time goes on, he may put up numbers; but it won't be pretty. As far as RG3? NFC East. He'll have to face those Giants, Cowboys and Eagles defense 6 times. The weather in NJ and Philly won't be pretty either. He'll also have to go up against D's such as the Steelers in Pittsburgh, Ravens, Bengals and even Saints. I don't like this kids chances of future success here in 2012.

DEFENSIVE ROOKIE OF THE YEAR: DE, Quinton Coples, New York Jets.

Why would I go with Quinton Coples over LB's such as Luke Kuechly and Dont'a Hightower or opposing DE's such as Melvin Ingram? To me it's simple. Jet fans may feel I'm only going with Coples because he's a Jet, but if that were the case I would have went with Stephen Hill over Richardson and everyone else. I'm going with Coples because I feel he's in best possible position to succeed 'right away' under a Rex Ryan/Darrelle Revis led defense. Coples is playing alongside a stacked defensive front with Pouha at NT and Wilkerson as the opposite DE. He'll be playing in front of veteran LB's such as Scott, Harris and Thomas. Will have an extra .5 to 1 second in regards to rushing the quarterback due to our trio of CB's in Revis, Cromartie and Wilson locking up opposing WR's. Not only that, but he's experienced in both the 3-4 and 4-3 defensive schemes during the years that he played with NC. Can line up as a 4-3 speed rushing DE, can play the run while getting into the backfield as a 3-4 DE etc, etc.

At 6'6/285 pounds, look for Rex to line this kid up all over the defensive front. This is what Mayock had to say about Coples: "I've been highly critical of him. However, he showed up at the Senior Bowl and showed he could play like Julius Peppers". As being one of the highest rated DE's coming out of this years draft class, Coples is my pick. Another reason why I'm going with Coples, is because I trust Rex in regards to talent evaluation on the defensive line. When Rex seen Coples during his pro day? He promised Coples man to man, that if he were still on the board when the Jets were selecting 16th overall? That he'll become a Jet. Come draft day? Rex was a man of his word, and selected Quinton Coples. I truly believe Rex sees something in this kid.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by NY2FLDWC85 View Post
    With training camp still a month away, what else (Jets related) can we talk about? I believe, that as a fan base, this fan site has covered everything in writing for months on end. So, I figured that I'd take the time and thought process to create a thread such as this one, something different, something that can change up the scenario/atmosphere heading into training camp; then it's full throttle/full force Jets fever. Every 2,3,4 pages or so, I'll throw out a different subject/question/topic of discussion. From rookies, to sleepers, fantasy picks, predicting of schedules and or/standings, sleeper teams, teams on the rise, teams on the decline, which teams had the best offseason (and why), players expected to break out, players expected to "fall back down to earth", etc, etc. I have lots of ideas in regards to topics of discussion, feel free to join in, contribute and change the topic of discussion at any time. I'll start it off.

Who's your predicted offensive and defensive rookies of the year? The key, you can only predict one of each. No multiple selections. Should make/create for a good 'bump of a thread' sometime next off season.
    Offense - RG3
    Defense - Ingram

Hall Of Fame
    Offensive Rookie: RB, David Wilson, New York Giants. Teams will be geared up to stop the pass, opening running lanes for Wilson. Bradshaw has the foot issues which he may re-injure. Reese has hit some HRs in the 1st round, this will be another.

Defensive Rookie: LB, Luke Kuechly, Jacksonville Jaguars. Tackling machine. Will put up a lot of stats and he is underrated as a cover guy. IMO safest pick in the draft.

All League

so your idea for a new thread on a jets message board was to have different topics about the jets discussed in 1 place? great idea. as long as you stop posting in every other thread, since this thread will basically cover it all.

Banned

DEFENSIVE ROOKIE OF THE YEAR: DE, Quinton Coples, New York Jets.
    Shocking choice.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Shocking choice.
    Thanks for another useless contribution. GFY. Better yet, go choke on a sandwich.

Offensive - RG3, expect a Cam Newtonesque season

Defensive - Irvin, he'll probably put up the biggest sack numbers as a rookie, which will be the only measure that most people look at unfortunately.

Hall Of Fame
    Shocking choice.
    LOL. I was going to pick Chandler Jones just to make him write a dissertation.

O - RG3
    D - Tavon Wilson

Shocking choice.
    It's his choice and I wouldn't call that so outlandish that prediction.

JMO I don't think Rg111 will be rookie of the year because Cam Newton put the bar so high for rookie Qb's.

Offensive rookie of Year wr MIchael Floyd. Never hurts to have larry Fitzgerald starting opposite of you.

Defensive Rookie of Year. Courtney Upshaw. With Suggs out, He will get the time and has a lot of talent around him.
    Last edited by Raider9175; 06-29-2012 at 08:59 AM.

I just can't see how Richardson doesn't walk away with offensive rookie of the year.

He's instantly the best player on that offense and the focal point for the attack. I don't think he'll put up Peterson numbers, but it's not far-fetched that he could have that type of impact.

No idea on the defensive side, but my money is on Mychal Kendricks. He'll get opportunities to make impact plays on that defense.

I have lots of ideas in regards to topics of discussion.
    Lucky us.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    Lucky us.
    Makes me wonder how we ever made it without him.

Veteran
    Shocking choice.
    Is it shocking that a jets fan on a jets board picks a jets player?

What is truly shocking is you closing in on 50k posts on a jets message board. You should win some kind of award for that kind of dedication.

All Pro
    Lucky us.
    It's a little hokey, but you like poopiteypants. Look in the mirror my friend.

Richardson, and Hightower. I do think Coples will be the better player, but he's not going to match Don't's numbers. There's a reason why lbs always win this thing. Hightower is pretty good, and versatile, and he'll be the only guy on that team making tackles.

Assuming that this thread was really an honest attempt to discuss football:

Coples is playing alongside a stacked defensive front with Pouha at NT and Wilkerson as the opposite DE. He'll be playing in front of veteran LB's such as Scott, Harris and Thomas.
    It was 16th against the run last year and 17th in sacks. Not bad (middle of pack) but not what anyone outside of the Jets would call "stacked". If it were that "stacked", even an average pass rush should have been more successful.

Will have an extra .5 to 1 second in regards to rushing the quarterback due to our trio of CB's in Revis, Cromartie and Wilson locking up opposing WR's.
    Is this an official stat .5 to 1 seconds? First, if this is true, why didn't it help last year? Same people playing. Isn't this Maybin's specialty? It certainly isn't the run.

Not only that, but he's experienced in both the 3-4 and 4-3 defensive schemes during the years that he played with NC.
    And, that helps him in the pros somehow. Most colleges play a 4-3 these days. Were they single gap/2 gap, blitz, read react, mostly base, or stunting, maybe zone blitz...etc, etc, etc, I see no advantage. 3 -4, 4 -3 are just base formations. What you do out of those base defenses is a whole different story. Unless they were exposed to the same system, it means little.

Can line up as a 4-3 speed rushing DE, can play the run while getting into the backfield as a 3-4 DE etc, etc.
    Not known at this point. He's never played a down in the NFL and he's a high risk, high reward player. He's no sure thing.

Jets Insider VIP
    Lucky us.
    Is there such a thing as Internet ADHD?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Is there such a thing as Internet ADHD?
    Why, do you think he's the strong silent type when he's offline?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    Why, do you think he's the strong silent type when he's offline?
    I haven't given it much thought. I'm speaking strictly online. Specifically, here.