Thread: Q&A with Jets linebacker Ricky Sapp

Veteran

Q&A with Jets linebacker Ricky Sapp

[SIZE="5"]Jets summer Q&A with Jets linebacker Ricky Sapp[/SIZE]

Published: Friday, June 29, 2012, 10:00 AM
    Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger By Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger

Ricky Sapp spent several weeks last season on the Jets' practice squad before being promoted to the 53-man roster in Week 17. Originally a fifth-round pick by the Eagles out of Clemson in 2010, he suffered a knee injury before his rookie season and was waived by Philly last August. He is a fast player who amassed 17.5 career sacks at Clemson, and he's now trying to carve out a role in the Jets defense.

What are your personal goals for this season?

One of my biggest goals is to contribute to the team as fast as possible. And just to fit in wherever I can, wherever I can help. The biggest thing (I've been working on) is technique. This is my first year in this defense, and the biggest thing I have been doing is just learning the defense as much as possible. Detailing my notes and my work, and just working on my pass rush and also on my coverage.

Do you feel ready to take on a bigger role?

I think so. I think with Calvin (Pace) and BT (Bryan Thomas) and those guys, and me learning from those guys, and picking up what they have been doing, I think I can definitely step up and help out.

What do you bring to the defense?

Well, of course I bring speed. I知 a speed guy, and I知 a pass rusher. So, definitely I think I bring those two things to the table.

What are your plans for the summer?

I definitely want to put on a little bit of muscle, because I want to be able to play both the run and the pass. I don稚 want to be one situational guy where I just rush the passer, so two of the things I want to work on is putting on a little bit of muscle and also just working on my drops, my coverages. I知 going to go back to my school, Clemson, work with the guys. Right now, I知 a good weight, I知 255. I want to come in at 260, to see how I feel, but I think 255 will be a good playing weight.

Bewildered Beast
    It's Feel Good Friday! We must have about 3 or 4 Deacon Jones on our team.

One more month. ;) :coocoo:

All Pro
    I never understand why they do so many interviews, asking players about themselves. You never get any answers, and if you do you trash the player. I mean what in the world are they going to say. I'm trying hard to be in shape, and make the most of my opportunities. It's almost as bad as a GM interview. When they ask the Veterans about the younger players you get some information sometimes, but not much.

[QUOTE=NY's stepchild;4503729]I never understand why they do so many interviews, asking players about themselves. You never get any answers, and if you do you trash the player. I mean what in the world are they going to say. I'm trying hard to be in shape, and make the most of my opportunities. It's almost as bad as a GM interview. When they ask the Veterans about the younger players you get some information sometimes, but not much.[/QUOTE]

So what should they ask the players.....questions about world events, the economy, or how they liked watching the NBA finals?

This was actually a great thread....because it gave some insight to Sapp's playing weight which is important as there is a decent chance the organization thinks he is good enough to pass on Ingram and take coples, and in turn contribute at OLB in 2013.

I for one, think its great when we get small pieces of info from the "end of the roster" players here. Its certainly a lot better then having another ridiculous argument if keller is better then kellen winslow or having another pats troll rip sanchez.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

We passed on Ingram because of Ricky Sapp?:eek:

You believe this? If the Jets liked Ingram over Coples, he would be a Jet.
    Last edited by Jet Nut; 06-29-2012 at 09:09 PM.

[QUOTE=Jet Nut;4504017]We passed on Ingram because of Ricky Sapp?:eek:

You believe this? If the Jets liked Ingram over Coples, he would be a Jet.[/QUOTE]

Obviously its not that simple. But look at the situation of the team....

We have 3 of our "4" staring LBs that will not be on the team next year in Bart, Pace and BT. We were sitting staring at 2 players:

1. A exceptionally talented DE who had some risks attached to him, at a position we had drafted in the first round last year

2. A exceptionally talented OLB who had some risks attached to him, at a position that we haven't addressed in the draft in years.

However, we have 2 players in Maybin and Sapp who had been cast aside by other teams, that are VERY young, and who have an extremely high ceiling.

And you are certain ("eek") that we didn't evaluate our roster before making that pick?

Who the F#%} is Ricky Sapp ?? Lol.

[QUOTE=Dunnie;4504201]Who the F#%} is Ricky Sapp ?? Lol.[/QUOTE]

KEE SEEN

LOL

Good Question (Who the F##% is Ricky Sapp)

[QUOTE=Dunnie;4504201]Who the F#%} is Ricky Sapp ?? Lol.[/QUOTE]

[url]http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=242432&highlight=ricky+sapp[/url]

[QUOTE=C Mart;4504825][url]http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=242432&highlight=ricky+sapp[/url][/QUOTE]

Exactly.

Rookie
    [QUOTE=eaglenj;4504036]Obviously its not that simple. But look at the situation of the team....

We have 3 of our "4" staring LBs that will not be on the team next year in Bart, Pace and BT. We were sitting staring at 2 players:

1. A exceptionally talented DE who had some risks attached to him, at a position we had drafted in the first round last year

2. A exceptionally talented OLB who had some risks attached to him, at a position that we haven't addressed in the draft in years.

However, we have 2 players in Maybin and Sapp who had been cast aside by other teams, that are VERY young, and who have an extremely high ceiling.

And you are certain ("eek") that we didn't evaluate our roster before making that pick?[/QUOTE]

Good Post, I was thinking along the same lines. When you think about it, Bryan Thomas, Calvin Pace and Bart Scott will most likely all be gone by next season. For years, we have complained how we have never developed players on our own roster to eventually take over...now we have them. It is likely that our starting core of players will be Sapp, Maybin, and Davis next year. This is going to be exciting to watch them take the next step as Jets and not watch them go off to another team and develop like James Farrior and Jonathan Vilma did.

[QUOTE=NYDreamer;4505305]Good Post, I was thinking along the same lines. When you think about it, Bryan Thomas, Calvin Pace and Bart Scott will most likely all be gone by next season. For years, we have complained how we have never developed players on our own roster to eventually take over...now we have them. It is likely that our starting core of players will be Sapp, Maybin, and Davis next year. This is going to be exciting to watch them take the next step as Jets and not watch them go off to another team and develop like James Farrior and Jonathan Vilma did.[/QUOTE]

Well for anyone who wants speed on defense, those 3 guys, paire with Harris as out "thumper" in run support are potentially a very good group.

Sapp is very hard to project and I dont know much about him, but I really think maybin can be a beast. He is so young, and really cares about being a good player. Plus, with his height/speed I think he can be used in coverage every once in a while rather then strictly a a pass rusher.....adalius Thomas anyone??

[QUOTE=eaglenj;4504036]Obviously its not that simple. But look at the situation of the team....

And you are certain ("eek") that we didn't evaluate our roster before making that pick?[/QUOTE]
    Good post. We have to look at the entire context rather than myopic conjecture