Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Is Bart Scott moving to Strong Safety?

[QUOTE=Jordy;4504408]All this concern with the defense is misplaced IMO.

The defense will be fine.

My concern is with the offense.[/QUOTE]

+1,000,000,000^1,000,000,000

Hall Of Fame

I will agree that the offense is more of a concern than the defense.

:cool:

JetsInsider.com Legend

Agreed

I have no doubts that the defense will rank in the Top 5 again, maybe even Top 3.

But would it surprise me if the offense remains a clusterf*ck of a mess that is incapable of extending drives? No, not really.

Simply making a switch at OC isn't enough.

[QUOTE=DDNYjets;4504438]I will agree that the offense is more of a concern than the defense.

:cool:[/QUOTE]

This message board is very hypocritical sometimes.

The defense, which has been the strength of the team, has played consistently over three years, but for some reason is looking for a big regression this year - despite the addition of younger, faster, more talented players, and better players than we've had at safety even in years.

The offense, which has struggled at times, still is getting bad expectations despite the addition of younger, faster, more talented players, not to mention an offense that is easier to comprehend and execute (Miami, albeit lacking in talent in many areas, executed their offense well. They played disciplined, and executed).

We have a strength of the team, which seems as if the scheme is changing - and it will regress.

We have the weakness of the team, which seems as if the scheme is new - and there is little hope for the QB position.

Sounds like doom and gloom. Can the Jets do anything right? Doesn't sound like it from the experts on this forum. :rolleyes:

JetsInsider.com Legend
    [QUOTE=DDNYjets;4504438]I will agree that the offense is more of a concern than the defense.

:cool:[/QUOTE]
    I can read between the lines.

I think we just expect perfection from a Rex defense.

We've been a top 5 defense for 3 straight years. So concern is misplaced.

Can they be better? Of course. But I'm not worried about the D.

Banned
    [QUOTE=ASG0531;4504128]Watch out, DWC is about to give you 3 lengthy paragraphs making the case for Bart Scott as DPOY.[/QUOTE]

As if we're not expected to talk football on a football fan site? :rolleyes:

Some football heads (unlike yourself ASG) not only enjoy talking about the game of football, but also enjoy including some type of insight at the same time; instead of one and/or two line sentences showing no knowledge of the game whatsoever. Lets not criticize pure football fans, on a football message board at that, for posting in (as you like to say) lengthy paragraphs when compared to trollish/argumentative posters who feature an inability or lack an ability to add any type of insight when talking about the game of football.

Back to the topic of discussion. It's hard for me to consider someone as "sucking", especially when considering the fact that they've averaged 87 tackles and 3.2 sacks per season over the past 7 years since becoming a starter back in 2005. 112 consecutive starts. He's also put up an average of 5.3 tackles per game during 10 career playoff games.

Lets not forget to mention the facts that Scott's main job hasn't been to rack up tackling machine numbers in bunches (which he has), but instead, it's been to go heads up with offensive lineman in the trenches, taking up blocks at the L.O.S, in order to free up space for IMLB's such as Lewis and Harris, while giving them an opportunity to make game changing plays at the same time.

This man has been one of the toughest MLB's the NFL has seen over the years, but yet, much of Bart Scott's 'dirty work' has gone unnoticed over the years by 'casual football fans' who lack the overall knowledge to understand just how impactful Bart Scott has been for his respected defenses dating back to 2005. He's been a key piece for NFL defenses in which have ranked #1, #1, #2, #3, #3, #5 and #6 since becoming a full time starter dating back to the 2005 season.

Last but not least ASG (since you know oh so much about me), the only Jets defensive player that I've ever talked up as having an AP NFL Defensive Player of the Year type of season (since becoming a football/Jets fan over 20 years and counting now) was Darrelle Revis during his groundbreaking season of 2009.
    Last edited by NY2FLDWC85; 06-30-2012 at 03:04 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=John_0515;4504449]This message board is very hypocritical sometimes.

The defense, which has been the strength of the team, has played consistently over three years, but for some reason is looking for a big regression this year - despite the addition of younger, faster, more talented players, and better players than we've had at safety even in years.

The offense, which has struggled at times, still is getting bad expectations despite the addition of younger, faster, more talented players, not to mention an offense that is easier to comprehend and execute (Miami, albeit lacking in talent in many areas, executed their offense well. They played disciplined, and executed).

We have a strength of the team, which seems as if the scheme is changing - and it will regress.

We have the weakness of the team, which seems as if the scheme is new - and there is little hope for the QB position.

Sounds like doom and gloom. Can the Jets do anything right? Doesn't sound like it from the experts on this forum. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Jordy;4504453]I can read between the lines.

I think we just expect perfection from a Rex defense.

We've been a top 5 defense for 3 straight years. So concern is misplaced.

Can they be better? Of course. But I'm not worried about the D.[/QUOTE]

Let me clarify my stance on the defense. And let me preface by saying I absolutely understand that NO team is built perfectly. Every team has a weakness.

I am worried about our safeties in coverage. That is about it. I do not think this was corrected in the offseason. But I don't think I ever said that I think we are going to have a huge regression on defense. I fully expect a Top 10 finish in total yardage and points allowed.

Nitpicking? Probably. But it is all just for the sake of conversation.

I absolutely agree with both of you. The defense will be fine. We need to get things straightened out on offense and hopefully we made the right moves in the offseason.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 06-30-2012 at 03:04 PM.

[QUOTE=DDNYjets;4504458]Let me clarify my stance on the defense. And let me preface by saying I absolutely understand that NO team is built perfectly. Every team has a weakness.

I am worried about our safeties in coverage. That is about it. I do not think this was corrected in the offseason.

I absolutely agree with both of you. The defense will be fine. We need to get things straightened out on offense and hopefully we made the right moves in the offseason.[/QUOTE]

When we win the Superbowl because our safeties picked off the NFC QB 7 times, Jordy will say "I told you so". ;)

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=John_0515;4504460]When we win the Superbowl because our safeties picked off the NFC QB 7 times, Jordy will say "I told you so". ;)[/QUOTE]

I will gladly eat my words. :yes::yes::yes:

JetsInsider.com Legend
    [QUOTE=John_0515;4504460]When we win the Superbowl because our safeties picked off the NFC QB 7 times, Jordy will say "I told you so". ;)[/QUOTE]

LOL. To clarify, I never expressed any blind faith in our safeties.

I'll go with a Maybin strip sack, fumble recovery, run it in for the winning TD. ;)

[QUOTE=Jordy;4504467]LOL. To clarify, I never expressed any blind faith in our safeties.

I'll go with a Maybin strip sack, fumble recovery, run it in for the winning TD. ;)[/QUOTE]

Whatever man, just get it done already! :P

JetsInsider.com Legend
    [QUOTE=John_0515;4504468]Whatever man, just get it done already! :P[/QUOTE]
    Relax. It's a process.

:O

[QUOTE=Jordy;4504473]Relax. It's a process.

:O[/QUOTE]

The process of killing us slowly.

Just sign m**********in' JIM LEONHARD already!!!! He's still available, right?

i was thinking the same thing. remember when lambert and ham were barely over 220. singleton wasn't much over 250. the point is that technique is worth more than just weight and if scott gets blown out it'll be because the dline failed and then he wasn't set up right to make the play. the jets have certainly beefed up the dline this past two drafts.

[QUOTE=NY's stepchild;4503933]If a lineman gets to him then it's a blown play by the d line.[/QUOTE]

Veteran
    Big concerns: pass rush, third down ineptitude, ability to finish games.

Offense: the O-Line.

No worries whatsoever in Sanchez, WRs, RBs, Tebow, Wildcat.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=DDNYjets;4504458]Let me clarify my stance on the defense. And let me preface by saying I absolutely understand that NO team is built perfectly. Every team has a weakness.

I am worried about our safeties in coverage. That is about it. I do not think this was corrected in the offseason. But I don't think I ever said that I think we are going to have a huge regression on defense. I fully expect a Top 10 finish in total yardage and points allowed.

I absolutely agree with both of you. The defense will be fine. We need to get things straightened out on offense and hopefully we made the right moves in the offseason.[/QUOTE]

The good news is that we have never had better coverage safeties. It's not like we had one and lost him. I agree it's our weakness, but last year our biggest problem was setting the edge against the run. Teams are not supposed to run on us, even when we are playing pass. We still ranked pretty high, but I think that was a real problem in attitude. I think we've addressed that. I also think...think our offense should be, at least more consistent. ie less 3 and outs. That should help too.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=jetrider;4504518]Big concerns: pass rush, third down ineptitude, ability to finish games.

Offense: the O-Line.

No worries whatsoever in Sanchez, WRs, RBs, Tebow, Wildcat.[/QUOTE]

Third down ineptitude? 2nd in the league at 32.7% conversion is inept now? I think we've addressed the pass rush finally. Doesn't mean it will happen, but we have addressed it. We also added depth and youth to the dline so I'm hoping to finish stronger, but third downs are Rex' forte. inept is not a word I'd use for that.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    [QUOTE=NY's stepchild;4504533]Third down ineptitude? 2nd in the league at 32.7% conversion is inept now? I think we've addressed the pass rush finally. Doesn't mean it will happen, but we have addressed it. We also added depth and youth to the dline so I'm hoping to finish stronger, but third downs are Rex' forte. inept is not a word I'd use for that.[/QUOTE]
    This shows the Jets at 22 with a 34.74%.

[URL]http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/third-down-conversion-pct[/URL]

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Jordy;4504536]This shows the Jets at 22 with a 34.74%.

[URL]http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/third-down-conversion-pct[/URL][/QUOTE]

That'd be offense there Jordy.