Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Bart Scott moving to Strong Safety?

All Pro
    [QUOTE=DDNYjets;4503942]We do not have the personnel for a true 4-3 and the 46 is obsolete b.c it is vulnerable to the outside run and quick passing game, two things we sucked at last year. We signed some big safeties that will help with the 46 but we never addressed our main problem which was covering the TE. Neither Landry or Bell are good cover safeties.

IMO all the talk about changing defensive schemes is overblown. The Jets don't have a true base defense, they will run a variation of all the defenses and they are game plan specific. The days of the true 3-4 went out the window Week 1 2010 when Jenkins got rolled up on.

Back to Scott. Being a step faster is not going to fix Scott's problems in coverage. He is built to move forwards, not backwards. I do not think it is smart to make him try to change his game this late in his career. We need him to be able to take on blocks and free things up for Harris. I am one of the fans who think Scott gets underrated by other fans. I think he has done exactly what he was brought here to do. Same goes for Pace. It is not Scott's fault that the Jets can't cover TEs.[/QUOTE]

Well I'm pretty sure that we are going to do it so I hope you're wrong about the personnel. I don't think we'll be seeing Bart and Harris on the field together much this year.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=jetsfreak;4503908]:D I think Bart Scott has been in the league long enough to know what weight works for him.....not seen anyone around here suit up for an NFL team lately to make such a statement.[/QUOTE]

No, internet personal trainers know better. More than team trainers and coaches.

They're like internet psychologists, internet Drs., internet GMs, coaches etc.

They hang all out here a lot.

Bewildered Beast
    [QUOTE=Raider9175;4503824]Have a picture we can compare one to the other. [IMG]http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2012/0608/ny_a_bart-scott_mb_300.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

Was Bart in MIB III? :scratch:

[QUOTE=DDNYjets;4503942]

IMO all the talk about changing defensive schemes is overblown. The Jets don't have a true base defense, they will run a variation of all the defenses and they are game plan specific.

[/QUOTE]So you agree that Bart shedding weight was necessary? :D

Banned
    Bart Scott is an NFL athlete who's been in this league for many of years. I believe it's safe to say that Bart Scott not only knows but also understands exactly how to take care and condition his body. He's only missed a total of 3 career games during this course of his 10 year career, but yet, we're seeing Jet fans complain about his "weight", despite the fact that week one is 71-72 days away ala more that enough time to add healthy weight/muscle before the start of the regular season?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=NY2FLDWC85;4503989]Bart Scott is an NFL athlete who's been in this league for many of years. I believe it's safe to say that Bart Scott not only knows but also understands exactly how to take care and condition his body. He's only missed a total of 3 career games during this course of his 10 year career, but yet, we're seeing Jet fans complain about his "weight", despite the fact that week one is 71-72 days away ala more that enough time to add healthy weight/muscle before the start of the regular season?[/QUOTE]

BS, just like Joe McKnight, D'Brick etc, these idiots need to log onto JI and run it by the experts here who will assign them their proper weight.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Jet Nut;4503965]No, internet personal trainers know better. More than team trainers and coaches.

They're like internet psychologists, internet Drs., internet GMs, coaches etc.

They hang all out here a lot.[/QUOTE]

You forgot about internet tough guys.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=WestCoastOffensive;4503969]
    So you agree that Bart shedding weight was necessary? :D[/QUOTE]

Yes and No.

Could end up being a lose-lose situation. I agree with the OP that it might hurt the only thing he does well. And I don't think anything will ever make him adequate in coverage.

But if Coples and Maybin and Sapp and Pace and Wilk all get to the QB none of it really matters. Pass rush will cure a lot of ills. :D

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=DDNYjets;4504005]You forgot about internet tough guys.[/QUOTE]

Plenty of them, too.

They're the same on or off the board. The rest are more of an internet phenomena.
    Last edited by Jet Nut; 06-29-2012 at 07:59 PM.

[QUOTE=DDNYjets;4503823]I agree. He is going to get killed in the run game.

Same goes for QBs that bulk up. Not a good thing.[/QUOTE]

yup, heard the same thing in the early 80's about baseball players and golfers. You get to big and you won't be able to swing. Don't remember what happened after that......
    Be prepared for a crop of young QBs coming out of college and being alot bigger than the Brady's and Mannings of the world.

[IMG]http://cache.heraldinteractive.com/blogs/sports/rap_sheet/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/newton-tv.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://cdn2.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/3117456/136345851_extra_large.jpg[/IMG]

Hall Of Fame
    Cam and Luck are naturally muscular and have big frames. Especially Cam, he is very proportioned. He is nowhere near being overly muscular. Plus in both those pictures they are "combined up".

We will see.

[QUOTE=DDNYjets;4504020]Cam and Luck are naturally muscular and have big frames. Especially Cam, he is very proportioned. He is nowhere near being overly muscular. Plus in both those pictures they are "combined up".

We will see.[/QUOTE]

Not suggesting that these guys will benefit from getting massive, but adding a decent size of muscle has never hurt anyone in sports (well except Ruben Sierra as I recall) which is why steroids are banned in every major sport.

Hilarious listening to fans think they know more about what "proper" weights are for players than coaches/NFL trainers do.

Done is the NFL where ILB are 260 pounds, now you want smaller faster guys. Scott dropped weight to gain speed.

Hall Of Fame
    To everyone making remarks about how silly it is that guys on the internet think they no more that NFL coaches, answer this.

Is Bart Scott going to be better in coverage next year b.c he lost weight?

That is the entire premise behind him losing the weight. So he can stay ont he field.

So is he going to be better in coverage b.c he lost weight?

Put yo name on it.

BTW, if we are going to use the premise that it is stupid for us to talk b.c we don't know more than coaches then this forum would not exist.

I wonder if Willis and Urlacher went on the South Beach Diet this offseason. :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=revischrist;4504023]Not suggesting that these guys will benefit from getting massive, but adding a decent size of muscle has never hurt anyone in sports (well except Ruben Sierra as I recall) which is why steroids are banned in every major sport.[/QUOTE]

I've read around here that the Jets' FO has asked Tebow to gain weight up to 250, and using that as prima facie evidence that they want to turn him into a fullback monster and have no intentions of letting him develop into a QB under their watch.

Veteran
    Bart is dealing with age the way any good athlete would. Get lighter, get fitter, extend your career-span. The little bit of weight wont affect him. BART USUALLY wraps up, he isn't one of these head shot artists(James Harrison ) so he'll get to the collision a slit second earlier, wrap up, and yes, still make the tackle.

[QUOTE=DDNYjets;4503942]We do not have the personnel for a true 4-3 and the 46 is obsolete b.c it is vulnerable to the outside run and quick passing game, two things we sucked at last year. We signed some big safeties that will help with the 46 but we never addressed our main problem which was covering the TE. Neither Landry or Bell are good cover safeties.

IMO all the talk about changing defensive schemes is overblown. The Jets don't have a true base defense, they will run a variation of all the defenses and they are game plan specific. The days of the true 3-4 went out the window Week 1 2010 when Jenkins got rolled up on.

Back to Scott. Being a step faster is not going to fix Scott's problems in coverage. He is built to move forwards, not backwards. I do not think it is smart to make him try to change his game this late in his career. We need him to be able to take on blocks and free things up for Harris. I am one of the fans who think Scott gets underrated by other fans. I think he has done exactly what he was brought here to do. Same goes for Pace. It is not Scott's fault that the Jets can't cover TEs.[/QUOTE]

They're not converting to a true 46 defense. Rex doesn't do anything true to form. Honestly, he's doing what he didn't do in year 2 and year 3, try to evolve the defense. Instead he kept it the same and teams picked up on what they were doing.

Look at the Patriots' offense. They've evolved tremendously (or changed, or whatever you want to call it) since 2004. Changed the way they go about things, or philosophy, play to personnel strengths, etc. Rex didn't do this the last 2 years. I believe this is evidence of him learning, and evolving. Maybe it won't work out, but you can't stay the same while everyone around you changes and evolves.

We'll see what happens.

[QUOTE=sec.101row23;4503833]Its Bart's last season with the Jets. If all goes well, Davis should be seeing increased playing time as the season goes on.[/QUOTE]

Davis is like 20lbs lighter than Bart

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=DDNYjets;4504040][B]To everyone making remarks about how silly it is that guys on the internet think they no more that NFL coaches,[/B] [/QUOTE]

Exactly.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

[QUOTE=NY2FLDWC85;4503989]Bart Scott is an NFL athlete who's been in this league for many of years. I believe it's safe to say that Bart Scott not only knows but also understands exactly how to take care and condition his body. He's only missed a total of 3 career games during this course of his 10 year career, but yet, we're seeing Jet fans complain about his "weight", despite the fact that week one is 71-72 days away ala more that enough time to add healthy weight/muscle before the start of the regular season?[/QUOTE]

Bart Scott sucks, so his physical conditioning is of little importance.

SAR I

[QUOTE=SAR I;4504123]Bart Scott sucks, so his physical conditioning is of little importance.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

Watch out, DWC is about to give you 3 lengthy paragraphs making the case for Bart Scott as DPOY.