Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: JETS NEED BRAYLON FOR HIS SWAG AND TUDE

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    He can't. He doesn't know how to run routes. I don't know if he will or won't ever be good at it, because he didn't have to in college. That's why he was available. However he will be able to do some things Braylon couldn't. Like be taller and faster. If he can learn to sell a curl route, and a double move, he could have a big year just doing that.
    Okay. He's one inch taller and he runs fast in a straight line. BE may not have had 4.3 straight speed but he was fast on the field and was able to get behind the defense and stretch the field. He commanded respect in that regard, especially in 2010. That was a big reason for Holmes' success that year and a big reason why Holmes couldn't find space last season.

This has been beaten to death but that's how I feel.

If he's not healthy, it's a moot point. But if he can be 100%, I would take him in a heartbeat as long as the $$ was right.

Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    He can't. He doesn't know how to run routes. I don't know if he will or won't ever be good at it, because he didn't have to in college. That's why he was available. However he will be able to do some things Braylon couldn't. Like be taller and faster. If he can learn to sell a curl route, and a double move, he could have a big year just doing that.
    All true

The thing to keep in mind about Hill, is how impressive he was running routes at the combine and at his Pro Day, he also impressed during OTA's

The one great thing about this kid, beyond his physical talents, is his character and work ethic, that could speed up his development.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    I'm not sure how so many of you think Stephen Hill can step in year one and duplicate what BE did but I hope you're right.
    Braylon Edwards only combined for 88 receptions, 1,445 yards and 11 TD's during his two seasons with the Jets. He also had a history of "the drops" (especially during the 2009 season). But yeah, Braylon Edwards was a decent WR production wise, averaging 44 receptions, 722.6 receiving yards and 5.5 TD's per season.

Just about the same production as an aging 34-35 year old WR in Burress (who had nothing left between the 20's). Burress even put up 45 receptions, 612 receiving yards and 8 TD's.

The biggest impact Braylon Edwards ever made for our offense, was his ability to get out there and run block. Thankfully Stephen Hill was rated as the Nation's #1 run blocking prospect coming out of college. Earned lots of experience run blocking for Georgia Tech, inside of a run first (option) offense.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by NY2FLDWC85 View Post
    Braylon Edwards only combined for 88 receptions, 1,445 yards and 11 TD's during his two seasons with the Jets. He also had a history of "the drops" (especially during the 2009 season). But yeah, Braylon Edwards was a decent WR production wise, averaging 44 receptions, 722.6 receiving yards and 5.5 TD's per season.

Just about the same production as an aging 34-35 year old WR in Burress (who had nothing left between the 20's). Burress even put up 45 receptions, 612 receiving yards and 8 TD's.

The biggest impact Braylon Edwards ever made for our offense, was his ability to get out there and run block. Thankfully Stephen Hill was rated as the Nation's #1 run blocking prospect coming out of college. Earned lots of experience run blocking for Georgia Tech, inside of a run first (option) offense.
    Do you ever watch games or do you just analyze stats?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post

The thing to keep in mind about Hill, is how impressive he was running routes at the combine and at his Pro Day, he also impressed during OTA's
    Exactly.

The comparisons of Stephen Hill "not being able to run routes" and/or "doesn't know how to run routes" are very similar to the claims that (coming out of college) Percy Harvin "couldn't run NFL routes" and/or "was a gimmick type of WR" all because he was forced to play inside of a spread offense during his years with the Gators.

During the offseason of 2009, I knew withouta shadow of a doubt that those Percy Harvin critics were wrong as wrong could be. They didn't know what they were talking about. All they did was A.) Judge Harvin due to previous Florida Gator WR's and B.) Judged Harvin (in a negative way) due to the fact that Harvin played in a spread offense. They said he wouldn't make it on an NFL football field. Come to find out, those critics were wrong as wrong could be. The only rookie prospect that I talked up during the entire offseason leading up to the draft back in 2009, was Percy Harvin. I created multiple threads about that kid, and really thought the Jets had a chance at Harvin (Had no idea we'd trade up for a potential franchise QB). He's since put up a combined 218 receptions, 2,625 receiving yards, 17 rushing TD's, 587 rushing yards, 3 rushing TD's, 2,609 return yards with 4 TD returns.

Yeah, right, Percy Harvin was a "gimmick WR who couldn't run NFL routes" all because he played for a Gators spread offense Same goes for Stephen Hill. Some of our fans are considering him as a wide out who "doesn't know how to run NFL routes" or a "gimmick type of outside receiver" due to the fact that he played for a run option Georgia Tech offense. This Stephen Hill kid led the Nation in yards per reception, and it wasn't all because of hail mary passes either. You don't lead the Nation in average yards per reception without being able to run routes. He's being 'player profiled' due to the style of offense he was forced to player under. Just like Harvin was.
    Last edited by NY2FLDWC85; 06-30-2012 at 11:16 PM.

Banned
    I've missed a handful (less than 10) of Jet games over the past 20 years. Don't question my fandom due to the simple fact that I'm posting the overall production that Braylon put up on the football field. He's nothing more than a dime a dozen type of wide receiver ala replaceable (which is the reason why he's not only played for 3 separate teams in as many years, but has yet to get an invite to an NFL training camp here in 2012).

There's a reason why you'll never make the Hall of Fame without great statistics ala production on the football field. We all know that Braylon Edwards was a solid deep threat (but his deep threat abilities can be replaced by a 21 years of age speed burning talent in Stephen Hill; who led the Nation in yards per reception). Braylon Edwards also had a bad case of "the drops" (Did you not watch the games during 2009?). Like I've stated, the biggest impact Braylon Edwards made for our offense, was his ability to get out there and run block as a run blocking wide receiver (His run blocking ability can be replaced by Stephen Hill, who's rated as the #2 run blocking WR coming out of the draft).
    Last edited by NY2FLDWC85; 06-30-2012 at 11:44 PM.

Isn't everyone sick of just how much some people overrate Braylon Edwards? Decent receiver. With excessive off field baggage. NFL teams, before his injury, said "pass". Ultimately signed for little more than vet minimum and still couldn't beat out 49ers pathetic #2/#3 WRs or even their overrated #1, Crabteree. And that's all before his knee injury. Now after the injury he is even less desirable. Yet he is virtually worshipped here. Talk about delusional! It is so damned strange. He's not coming back. Jets do NOT want him. They didn't even want him before drafting Hill. I wish Braylon all the success in the world finding another team to latch onto and in his next career, which is likely sooner than later. That's all folks.

Jets Insider VIP
    I've missed a handful (less than 10) of Jet games over the past 20 years. Don't question my fandom due to the simple fact that I'm posting the overall production that Braylon put up on the football field. He's nothing more than a dime a dozen type of wide receiver ala replaceable (which is the reason why he's not only played for 3 separate teams in as many years, but has yet to get an invite to an NFL training camp here in 2012).

There's a reason why you'll never make the Hall of Fame without great statistics ala production on the football field. We all know that Braylon Edwards was a solid deep threat (but his deep threat abilities can be replaced by a 21 years of age speed burning talent in Stephen Hill; who led the Nation in yards per reception). Braylon Edwards also had a bad case of "the drops" (Did you not watch the games during 2009?). Like I've stated, the biggest impact Braylon Edwards made for our offense, was his ability to get out there and run block as a run blocking wide receiver (His run blocking ability can be replaced by Stephen Hill, who's rated as the #2 run blocking WR coming out of the draft).
    I'm questioning your actual knowledge. Things that you can't look up on a stats website.

He had a lot of drops in 2009?

And now mention to one of the more (unfairly) criticized receivers. Braylon Edwards had some drops that stuck in the mind and came to New York with a reputation for dropping the ball after a disastrous 08 season with the Browns, but it may shock some people that he only dropped four regular-season passes.

What about 2010 you ask?

Edwards had one of the lowest drop percentages in the NFL there in 2010.

Guess who had one of the highest in 2010?

Santonio Holmes and Jerricho Cotchery.

I don't know. It doesn't seem like you watch the games. Seems like you're judging soley on reputation.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    Isn't everyone sick of just how much some people overrate Braylon Edwards? Decent receiver. With excessive off field baggage. NFL teams, before his injury, said "pass". Ultimately signed for little more than vet minimum and still couldn't beat out 49ers pathetic #2/#3 WRs or even their overrated #1, Crabteree. And that's all before his knee injury. Now after the injury he is even less desirable. Yet he is virtually worshipped here. Talk about delusional! It is so damned strange. He's not coming back. Jets do NOT want him. They didn't even want him before drafting Hill. I wish Braylon all the success in the world finding another team to latch onto and in his next career, which is likely sooner than later. That's all folks.
    It amazes me how people want to forget about 2010 like it didn't happen and only focus on 2011 when the guy came in late to a new team and had an injury riddled season.
    Last edited by Jordy; 07-01-2012 at 12:34 AM.

Banned
    It amazes me how people want to forget about 2010 like it didn't happen and only focus on 2011 when the guy came in late to a new team and had an injury riddled season.
    It amazes me that 32 NFL GM's currently want nothing to do with Braylon Edwards, but yet, you're crying over it. Don't cry, complain and pout to us (Jet posters), go cry, complain and pout to 32 GM's are the league; write them a letter or something. Showing them your support for something that none of us no longer want.

Braylon Edwards has made a living off his 'potential' due to his breakout season of 2007, where he actually put up 80 receptions, 1,289 receiving yards, 57 first down receptions and 16 TD's.

Outside of that fluke of a 2007 season, he's only averaged 43.5 receptions, 672.3 receiving yards, 31.3 first down receptions and 3.8 TD's per season during years 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011 combined.

Knowing you, chances are, you'll find ways to argue with me for pointing out (production on the football field wise) that Brayon Edwards has been nothing more than an average to above average WR at best throughout his NFL career.

This isn't 2007 anymore Jordy, heck, this isn't even 2010 anymore Jordy. After the Jets wanted nothing to do with Braylon Edwards, 30 other teams around the league wanted nothing to do with Braylon Edwards either. It took the 49ers giving him a 1 year deal in order for Braylon to land a home. That was when he was healthy too. Lets just say that Braylon Edwards didn't get the type of payday that he was expecting to get. That's what happens when you've only averaged 43.5 receptions, 672.3 receiving yards, 31.3 first down receptions and 3.8 TD's per season outside of one breakout year; which happened 5 years ago. Not to mention all the offseason garbage he's been involved in over the years.

Braylon Edwards is now 29 years old and coming off an injury plagued season (but he still player 9 full games for SF) where he could only manage 15 receptions, 181 yards and 0 TD's ala an average of only 1.6 receptions, 20.1 yards and 0.0 TD's per game.

You're crying over something that 32 NFL GM's, offensive coordinators, head coaches and owners currently want nothing to do with. Congratulations to you for that one Jordy; you're one of a kind.

There are multiple reasons on why a 29 year old WR, who's only had a mediocre career to begin with, hasn't been invited to a single NFL training camp and it's now July 1st. 32 NFL GM's want nothing to do with Braylon Edwards. But yeah, I'm sure that you "know more" than the rest of us and/or the NFL as a league. He's played for 3 teams throughout his career. The Browns. The Jets. The 49ers. Not one of those 3 teams are asking for Braylon Edwards' services here in 2012. The other 29 Franchises around the NFL? They haven't done as much as offer him a training camp invite.

Last but not least, you may be right about Braylon Edwards dropping 4 passes during the 2009 season, I guess this play keeps his history of "the drops" fresh in memory.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dia9XzZoOfQ

This one is pretty funny too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9YGVQFWV74
    Last edited by NY2FLDWC85; 07-01-2012 at 01:27 AM.

I'm not sure how so many of you think Stephen Hill can step in year one and duplicate what BE did but I hope you're right.
    He won't and that is exactly the reason I would love to have Braylon back. Lets see what he can give us in the short term and he can also eventually hand the reigns off to Hill. A nice short term solution for the team.

Jets Insider VIP
    Do you ever discuss the Jets or football or do you just badger , argue and obsess over other JI posters?

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by Funaz View Post
    Not really no. Sanchez forced the ball to SH a lot more because thats what the coaches told him to do, but he had better chemistry with BE. BE was the #1 reciever that opened up spots of Holmes.

It doesn't matter though this is a horse long since beaten to death. BE is not coming back. Lets hope Holmes get hurt week 1, with a blown achillies and then we can go with hill and Kerley as our #1 and #2
    Yea and maybe we can get keysean and cerbet back

My guess is that Braylon Edwards is still hobbled. Andre Carter is in the same boat. 10 sacks in 13 games last year and a very good overall performance against the run and no offers.

I certainly don't forget Braylon's contributions in 2010. My post did not focus exclusively on 2011. Why do you persistently ignore the entire body of Braylon's work in the NFL, including his off-field issues in Cleveland and on the Jets? If you'd look at that, you'd see why Cleveland was happy to get rid of him (too many drops there and bad off field issues - LaBron James and such) and then his less than stellar performance for the Jets in 2009. 2010 was an anomaly, Jordy. It was inconsistent with much of the rest of his career but for his spectacular 2007 season. 2007 was the only season he broke 1,000 yards. Face it. He has been a HUGE disappointment based on expectations due to his great college career at Michigan and overall #3 draft selection. His off the field baggage is continual and a serious problem.

In sum, Braylon was a decent WR that never lived up to his potential. And my speculation is that he did something to royally piss off Woody/Tannenbaum and/or Rex, despite what Rex has said publicly, because the Jets didn't give him any chance of returning. Maybe it was the humiliating DWI after Woody arranged for a private car service for all of his players to avoid such things. Why you, Vin and others virtually deify him is beyond comprehension. Great college player who had 1 excellent NFL season and a couple of good ones in 8 years. 5 mediocre to bad seasons. NFL GMs shun him and not one other player said anything in support of him after the 2010 season. That should tell you something. Nothing personal against him. I wish him luck if and when he lands with a 4th team.

Last but not least, you may be right about Braylon Edwards dropping 4 passes during the 2009 season, I guess this play keeps his history of "the drops" fresh in memory.
    I'm tired of the daily "the Jets need Braylon" threads..However, you need to stop with the Braylon drops stuff...It was reported, and I have posted the article here multiple times, that Braylon worked with the then Jets WR Coach Ellard in the 2010 offseason and corrected a flaw that lead to his drops...

Since you like to quote stats go look at Braylon's number of drops in '10..I believe he had 2 or 3.

Again, I'm sick of the daily BE threads but the drops stuff is no longer valid. I think the reason he is still on the street is his injury and his off the field behavior...

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    All true

The one great thing about this kid, beyond his physical talents, is his character and work ethic, that could speed up his development.
    I hope you're right. That's the reason he went so high, but he has to prove he can run precise routes in actual games. That's the reason he went so low. I wouldn't count on him being asked to run many routes early on. Hopefully more as the season goes on, but I don't want them to give him too much to think about. That's what Buffalo did to Maybin. I want Sporano to be sure everyone knows their responsibilities without thinking before he runs a play in a game. I don't care if we only run 2 plays. Then we can add more as the year goes on. If we get beat physically that's one thing. I don't want to see anyone looking around with the clock running out, and I don't want to see anymore double clutching, or staring down receivers.

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    When the hell are you people going to let go of this guy?

I've never heard such rallying, borderline obsessive support for such an average player.

He's not coming back. If we had any interest in re-signing him we would've done it last year before he signed with the Niners for chump change.

We just drafted a physical freak with huge upside in Stephen Hill, and people still want to whine and cry about Braylon not being on the team.

Christ

Jets Insider VIP
    It amazes me that 32 NFL GM's currently want nothing to do with Braylon Edwards, but yet, you're crying over it. Don't cry, complain and pout to us (Jet posters), go cry, complain and pout to 32 GM's are the league; write them a letter or something. Showing them your support for something that none of us no longer want.

Braylon Edwards has made a living off his 'potential' due to his breakout season of 2007, where he actually put up 80 receptions, 1,289 receiving yards, 57 first down receptions and 16 TD's.

Outside of that fluke of a 2007 season, he's only averaged 43.5 receptions, 672.3 receiving yards, 31.3 first down receptions and 3.8 TD's per season during years 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011 combined.

Knowing you, chances are, you'll find ways to argue with me for pointing out (production on the football field wise) that Brayon Edwards has been nothing more than an average to above average WR at best throughout his NFL career.

This isn't 2007 anymore Jordy, heck, this isn't even 2010 anymore Jordy. After the Jets wanted nothing to do with Braylon Edwards, 30 other teams around the league wanted nothing to do with Braylon Edwards either. It took the 49ers giving him a 1 year deal in order for Braylon to land a home. That was when he was healthy too. Lets just say that Braylon Edwards didn't get the type of payday that he was expecting to get. That's what happens when you've only averaged 43.5 receptions, 672.3 receiving yards, 31.3 first down receptions and 3.8 TD's per season outside of one breakout year; which happened 5 years ago. Not to mention all the offseason garbage he's been involved in over the years.

Braylon Edwards is now 29 years old and coming off an injury plagued season (but he still player 9 full games for SF) where he could only manage 15 receptions, 181 yards and 0 TD's ala an average of only 1.6 receptions, 20.1 yards and 0.0 TD's per game.

You're crying over something that 32 NFL GM's, offensive coordinators, head coaches and owners currently want nothing to do with. Congratulations to you for that one Jordy; you're one of a kind.

There are multiple reasons on why a 29 year old WR, who's only had a mediocre career to begin with, hasn't been invited to a single NFL training camp and it's now July 1st. 32 NFL GM's want nothing to do with Braylon Edwards. But yeah, I'm sure that you "know more" than the rest of us and/or the NFL as a league. He's played for 3 teams throughout his career. The Browns. The Jets. The 49ers. Not one of those 3 teams are asking for Braylon Edwards' services here in 2012. The other 29 Franchises around the NFL? They haven't done as much as offer him a training camp invite.

LOL.

So now you're playing the "There's 31 other teams also not interested in BE" card.

There were 31 other teams not interested in Maybin last year when he was first cut by the Jets. And there were several on this board using the same lame argument. You were banned so you weren't one of them. Maybe Edwards isn't healthy? Maybe that's the reason? Nobody was more of a ****-up than Adam Pacman Jones. Yet there's always been a team willing to sign him.

What happened to your "dropped passes" argument?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    He won't and that is exactly the reason I would love to have Braylon back. Lets see what he can give us in the short term and he can also eventually hand the reigns off to Hill. A nice short term solution for the team.
    We don't always agree but we are definitely in agreement on this one. That's exactly how I feel.