Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 176

Thread: JETS NEED BRAYLON FOR HIS SWAG AND TUDE

  1. #81
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    25,690
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY2FLDWC85 View Post
    Why haven't any one of these 32 GM's gone as far as even offering Braylon Edwards an invite to training camp?
    Probably because he's not healthy.

    Why do you suppose 32 GM's didn't offer Maybin a contract after the Jets initially cut him last year?

    That's the lamest question on this board. If you don't have the answer, then don't ask the question.

    I assure you that you don't have the answer.

  2. #82
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    9,416
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Probably because he's not healthy.

    Why do you suppose 32 GM's didn't offer Maybin a contract after the Jets initially cut him last year?

    That's the lamest question on this board. If you don't have the answer, then don't ask the question.

    I assure you that you don't have the answer.
    because the vast majority of them assumed Maybin was a bust of massive proportion. Rex gave him a shot. Good for Rex. It is very similar to Braylon. I'd imagine that most GMs (none of whom were interested even before Braylon's injury) felt that Braylon's off field issues and inconsistent on field performance throughout his career (only 1 great year + 2 good years, with 5 bad ones) was not worth the headache and heartache that Braylon invariably brings.

  3. #83
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    25,690
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    because the vast majority of them assumed Maybin was a bust of massive proportion. Rex gave him a shot. Good for Rex. It is very similar to Braylon. I'd imagine that most GMs (none of whom were interested even before Braylon's injury) felt that Braylon's off field issues and inconsistent on field performance throughout his career (only 1 great year + 2 good years, with 5 bad ones) was not worth the headache and heartache that Braylon invariably brings.
    And I think they're wrong about Edwards IF he's healthy.

    That's my opinion.

  4. #84
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    16,479
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    And I think they're wrong about Edwards IF he's healthy.

    That's my opinion.
    The Jets can't be wrong, if 31 other teams think the same way.

    There is obviously an issue with his health, but there is more.

    I'm an Edwards fan, I agree, I would have liked to see the Jets bring him back, I was rooting for it. I think that plan was scrapped the moment they drafted Hill. If Hill isn't drafted, I think Edwards would have still been a possibility.

    But there is still an issue with his health, and there is something about the player that has other teams avoiding him, some off the field issue that we still don't know about, maybe his entourage, maybe how he handled himself in the locker room.

    For the flak that Holmes receives from fans, and despite the outbreak at the end of last year, Holmes is a competitor, and he hates to lose, and I think he's a better player and person in the locker room and on the practice field than Braylon is, and it's obvious the Jets aren't the only team that feels this way.

  5. #85
    Undrafted Free Agent
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    231
    Post Thanks / Like
    I still contend that (if healthy), Edwards is a better player than Holmes. I don't even think it's all that close, really.

  6. #86
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    9,416
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    And I think they're wrong about Edwards IF he's healthy.

    That's my opinion.
    and you may very well be correct. The man has great talent. He displayed it at Michigan. He displayed it in that one sensational season in Cleveland and showed flashes of it in one of his years with the Jets. If he gets his head on straight and becomes consistent he could be one of the great ones. Unfortunately, the sad reality is that he is inconsistent and has had more bad seasons than good. Compound that with his chronic off field issues, serious ones, and he's just not worth it. 8 years is a pretty good test period. I can't blame Rex, Tanny and Woody or the other 30 GMs (San Fran excluded) from passing on Braylon. I wish him success. I just don't think he has his head on straight enough to perform to his talent level on a consistent basis.

  7. #87
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    the 80s
    Posts
    8,057
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY2FLDWC85 View Post
    Stephen Hill has more attitude/style than Braylon Edwards. Also, you never want a WR's 'personality' running your offense to begin.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgqEem4pKSM
    dude. If stephen hill can run more than 3 routes by september, i'll give myself a facial. Deal with the fact that he's a year away.... and that's OK.



    Cut Greene and sign Edwards? Hell ya

  8. #88
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    25,690
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    dude. If stephen hill can run more than 3 routes by september, i'll give myself a facial. Deal with the fact that he's a year away.... and that's OK.



    Cut Greene and sign Edwards? Hell ya

  9. #89
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    898
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Probably because he's not healthy.

    Why do you suppose 32 GM's didn't offer Maybin a contract after the Jets initially cut him last year?

    That's the lamest question on this board. If you don't have the answer, then don't ask the question.

    I assure you that you don't have the answer.
    Oh, but I do have the answer.

    You can't compare an unknown Maybin (of last year) as an example to Braylon Edwards current situation. It's not the same. Last year, teams didn't jump the gun on Aaron Maybin, because the league didn't know what this kid had to offer. Braylon Edwards on the other hand? The league knows what he has to offer, and still want's nothing to do with him. Big different when trying to compare current situations. Nice try in regards to using Maybin as an example to fit your agenda, but you've failed in that regard.

    If the Jets were to release Aaron Maybin today, he'll be picked up by a team before tomorrow. 100% guaranteed. He's now considered a wanted player due to his potential pass rushing ability. Braylon Edwards on the other hand? The same can not be said; he's no longer wanted. Aaron Maybin is a 24 year old kid who made his breakout season during his 3rd year, which was only last season. Braylon Edwards is an aging 29 year old WR who also enjoyed his breakout season during his 3rd year; which was 5 years ago.

    You say "probably because he's not healthy". Which may be true, but not the real reason why he's not on an NFL team. Last year Braylon Edwards was a healthy free agent. The Jets wanted nothing to do with Braylon. His former Cleveland Browns team wanted nothing to do with Braylon (even after seeing what they've "lost" in Edwards). And to make it worse? He was only able to sign a 1 year deal with the 49ers, who no longer wants anything to do with Braylon Edwards. Doesn't sound like a player who strikes a lot of interest in regards to 32 NFL GM's and Teams.

    You want the real reason(s) why Braylon Edwards is no longer wanted? The injury just makes it worse.

    A.) Off the field problems. GM's rather look the other way.

    B.) Has never been anything more than an average outside WR to begin with. More like a dime a dozen. Outside of his one breakout season of 2007? He's put up mediocre numbers throughout his entire career. Outside of his breakout season he's only averaged 43.5 receptions, 672.3 receiving yards, 31.3 1st down receptions and 3.8 TD's per season. Those are mediocre numbers.

    That type of average to below average production can be easily replaced. For example; there were 87 players who put up 44+ receptions last season. There were 60 players who put up 677+ receiving yards last season. There were 65 players who put up 32+ first down receptions and last but not least Jordy? There were 75 players who put up 4+ TD's last season. That's how the career numbers of Braylon Edwards compares to the league as a whole ala not very good.

    C.) No team wants a 29 year old WR (pushing 30) who's not only put up mediocre numbers/production throughout his entire NFL career, but has also had off the field problems to match. Not only that, but he's coming off an injury plagued season along with career lows in games (9), receptions (15), receiving yards (181), first down receptions (9) and TD's (0).

    There's your answer Jordy. If those weren't the answers, he'd have a training camp home by now. His stock is at an all-time low, which is never good for a 29 year old WR coming off an injury plagued year with only mediocre career numbers to begin with. The off the field concerns is enough for 32 GM's and owners around the league to say; no thank you. Which in return, is why Braylon Edwards hasn't been offered as much as a training camp invite, let alone an NFL contract. And lets not blame it on his "one injury" when there's over 100 WR's in today's NFL, that if they were to suffer an injury this year? They'd be offered an NFL contract the following season.

    I take a 6'4 Stephen Hill, who runs a 4.3 flat, outstanding jumping/leaping ability (much higher vertical jump when compared to Plaxico Burress coming out; kid can become a red zone monster), a true deep threat (led the entire Nation is average yards per catch), rated as being the Nation's 2nd strongest run blocking WR coming out of college and last but not least? Would never, in a million years, take a 29 year old Braylon Edwards over a true talent who's full of a boat load of potential in Stephen Hill, who's only 21 years of age.
    Last edited by NY2FLDWC85; 07-03-2012 at 09:53 AM.

  10. #90
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    light-years ahead
    Posts
    2,426
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    Unfortunately, the sad reality is that he is inconsistent and has had more bad seasons than good. Compound that with his chronic off field issues, serious ones, and he's just not worth it. 8 years is a pretty good test period. I can't blame Rex, Tanny and Woody or the other 30 GMs (San Fran excluded) from passing on Braylon. I wish him success. I just don't think he has his head on straight enough to perform to his talent level on a consistent basis.
    I agree, he had major concentration issues it seemed and the team knows him best as far as chemistry and personality goes.

    Gotta trust the team on this one.

  11. #91
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    25,690
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY2FLDWC85 View Post
    Oh, but I do have the answer.

    You can't compare an unknown Maybin (of last year) as an example to Braylon Edwards current situation. It's not the same. Last year, teams didn't jump the gun on Aaron Maybin, because the league didn't know what this kid had to offer. Braylon Edwards on the other hand? The league knows what he has to offer, and still want's nothing to do with him. Big different when trying to compare current situations. Nice try in regards to using Maybin as an example to fit your agenda, but you've failed in that regard.

    If the Jets were to release Aaron Maybin today, he'll be picked up by a team before tomorrow. 100% guaranteed.

    You say "probably because he's not healthy". Which may be true, but not the real reason why he's not on an NFL team.

    You want the real reason(s) why Braylon Edwards is no longer wanted? The injury just makes it worse.

    A.) Off the field problems. GM's rather look the other way.

    B.) Has never been anything more than an average outside WR to begin with. More like a dime a dozen. Outside of his one breakout season of 2007? He's put up mediocre numbers throughout his entire career. Outside of his breakout season he's only averaged 43.5 receptions, 672.3 receiving yards, 31.3 1st down receptions and 3.8 TD's per season. Those are mediocre numbers.

    C.) No team wants a 29 year old WR (pushing 30) who's not only put up mediocre numbers/production throughout his entire NFL career, but has also had off the field problems to match. Not only that, but he's coming off an injury plagued season along with career lows in games (9), receptions (15), receiving yards (181), first down receptions (9) and TD's (0).

    There's your answer Jordy. If those weren't the answers, he'd have a training camp home by now. His stock is at an all-time low, which is never good for a 29 year old WR coming off an injury plagued year with only mediocre career numbers to begin with. The off the field concerns is enough for 32 GM's and owners around the league to say; no thank you. Which in return, is why Braylon Edwards hasn't been offered as much as a training camp invite, let alone an NFL contract. And lets not blame it on his "one injury" when there's over 100 WR's in today's NFL, that if they were to suffer an injury this year? They'd be offered an NFL contract the following season.
    Way to go out on a limb there with Maybin.

    Hindsight is always 20/20. Of course teams would jump on Maybin NOW. But they sure weren't last year. My point was the "other 31 GM" argument is a weak one. It was weak when people used it here last year for the Maybin situation. Please stop using it. It's not the answer.

    And everything you're saying in your 2,000 word post is pure speculation on your part. Like I said, you don't KNOW the answer. None of us do. So please stop pretending like you do. If off-the-field issues prevented teams from signing players, guys like Pacman Jones would have never seen an NFL football field again. Is there a player out there worse than Pacman when it comes to "off-the-field" issues? But he still manages to find his way onto NFL rosters. Michael Vick and Plaxico are convicted felons. So stop. The point is, that's not the answer. Edwards was lauded by teammates and his OC after his last DUI for being a good teammate and a good leader. I have the quotes if you want them. I posted them elsewhere. He had a very good season with the Jets after his last DUI. What has he done since then to transgress? Has he had any off-the field issues since? Did I miss one?

    The most likely answer is his health.

  12. #92
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    25,690
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetrider View Post
    I agree, he had major concentration issues it seemed and the team knows him best as far as chemistry and personality goes.

    Gotta trust the team on this one.
    Such as? Can you qualify that?

  13. #93
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    19,458
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    dude. If stephen hill can run more than 3 routes by september, i'll give myself a facial. Deal with the fact that he's a year away.... and that's OK.



    Cut Greene and sign Edwards? Hell ya
    Dude.

  14. #94
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    19,458
    Post Thanks / Like
    In 2012 Edwards would be a better player for the Jets (assuming the knee is OK).

    But moving forward Hill has the upside. Lets hope Sanjay Gupta knows what he is doing and Hill progresses and learns the NFL route tree.

    All we need him to do is to stretch the field to keep teams honest. That will open up things for Tone and Keller underneath. Hill should run some 9s and a sprinkle in a few deep crosses and jump balls.

    Not to mention that he will have an immediate impact in the running game. He is a good blocker and if he catches a few deep balls it will get the safeties out of the box.

  15. #95
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    52,055
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    In 2012 Edwards would be a better player for the Jets (assuming the knee is OK).

    But moving forward Hill has the upside. Lets hope Sanjay Gupta knows what he is doing and Hill progresses and learns the NFL route tree.

    All we need him to do is to stretch the field to keep teams honest. That will open up things for Tone and Keller underneath. Hill should run some 9s and a sprinkle in a few deep crosses and jump balls.

    Not to mention that he will have an immediate impact in the running game. He is a good blocker and if he catches a few deep balls it will get the safeties out of the box.
    All that is true, and Hill has a ton of potential.

    However, it is extremely difficult for WR's coming from high-octane college offenses to transition as a successful WR in the NFL.

    Coming from a program where Hill only caught 29 passes in his college career, it makes the transition that much more difficult.

    Hill's success in the NFL will not be determined by his physical ability, but rather his football IQ.

  16. #96
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    25,690
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    All that is true, and Hill has a ton of potential.

    However, it is extremely difficult for WR's coming from high-octane college offenses to transition as a successful WR in the NFL.

    Coming from a program where Hill only caught 29 passes in his college career, it makes the transition that much more difficult.

    Hill's success in the NFL will not be determined by his physical ability, but rather his football IQ.
    That's why, if healthy, I think Edwards would be a perfect 1 or 2 year contributor to allow Hill some time to assimilate to the NFL game while also watching a guy on the field who has a similar skill set that he can "go to school" on.

  17. #97
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    52,055
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    That's why, if healthy, I think Edwards would be a perfect 1 or 2 year contributor to allow Hill some time to assimilate to the NFL game while also watching a guy on the field who has a similar skill set that he can "go to school" on.
    I would disagree with that strategy.

    Edwards would only be a 1 or 2 year stop-gap measure and take away significant playing time from Hill.

    You have a WR with a ton of physical ability, why not throw him to the fire and let him learn from his mistakes?

  18. #98
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    19,458
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    All that is true, and Hill has a ton of potential.

    However, it is extremely difficult for WR's coming from high-octane college offenses to transition as a successful WR in the NFL.

    Coming from a program where Hill only caught 29 passes in his college career, it makes the transition that much more difficult.

    Hill's success in the NFL will not be determined by his physical ability, but rather his football IQ.
    Well if there is one positive we can take from inexperience, it is that he may have not had the ability to develop any bad habits.

    I don't think I ever expect him to be a polished route runner. It is hard to be crisp when you are 6'4". He will need to learn how to read a DB and coverage and how to use spacing and his body.

    Lets face it, with Sanchez the Jets are never going to have a precision passing game.

  19. #99
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    25,690
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    I would disagree with that strategy.

    Edwards would only be a 1 or 2 year stop-gap measure and take away significant playing time from Hill.

    You have a WR with a ton of physical ability, why not throw him to the fire and let him learn from his mistakes?
    Yes but can the Jets afford to do that with a QB who is in his "prove it" 4th season with Tebow breathing down his neck?

    Sanchez has a history with Edwards. A good history. I think it's the perfect scenario for 2012. The Jets can utilize a 3 or 4 WR set enough times during a game to get Hill some needed playing time.

  20. #100
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    19,458
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    I would disagree with that strategy.

    Edwards would only be a 1 or 2 year stop-gap measure and take away significant playing time from Hill.

    You have a WR with a ton of physical ability, why not throw him to the fire and let him learn from his mistakes?
    This.

    Hill needs to learn on the job. He needs all the balls he can get. We already have a ball-hungry Santonio Holmes and a QB who wants to feed his TE every chance he gets.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us