Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: WSJ.Com: Game Changer: NFL Scrambles to Fill Seats

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    "The idea is that bolstering cell reception and adding wireless [B]will enable fans to re-create the living room in their stadium seats.[/B] Fans can receive highlights and replays of the game on the field, or other games across the country"

Get real. Anyone who has bragging rights for hanging to the end at the Snowbowl (Pittsburg right?) knows that the stadium experience, whether it's enduring wet freezing cold, torrential rains, a dismal, pedestrian offensive performance, is a high unavailable via any other venue.

Living it is what it's all about... and those of you who gave up their tickets for the comfort of their living room: :bigcry: Stay there, :byebye:'cause you just don't fricking get it! :beers: < Real football fans

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetsNeedNewton;4504750]"The idea is that bolstering cell reception and adding wireless [B]will enable fans to re-create the living room in their stadium seats.[/B] Fans can receive highlights and replays of the game on the field, or other games across the country"

Get real. Anyone who has bragging rights for hanging to the end at the Snowbowl (Pittsburg right?) knows that the stadium experience, whether it's enduring wet freezing cold, torrential rains, a dismal, pedestrian offensive performance, is a high unavailable via any other venue.

Living it is what it's all about... and those of you who gave up their tickets for the comfort of their living room: :bigcry: Stay there, :byebye:'cause you just don't fricking get it! :beers: < Real football fans[/QUOTE]

I go to an away game pretty much every year. It is a pretty solid weekend. Tampa, Charlotte, Nashville, NO, Miami etc.... meeting JETS fans from around the country, Saturday night before the game is awesome.

BUT the drive 2hrs each way, rain, cold etc... pretty much gotten old for me.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    A lot of what is said here is true about the decline in attendance at games. I have been a season ticket holder for thirty plus years and consider myself very fortunate to still be able to purchase season tickets. The biggest reason for the decline in season ticket sales is the economy. I am a blue collar working class person and so were a lot of my fellow friends and Jets fans. A lot of those season ticket holders were hard working blue collar workers who have lost their jobs or have retired and can't afford to purchase season tickets anymore. Especially since the new stadiums and the PSL's. Almost everyone who I met at the games and tailgated with and sat next to in the stands told me they were giving up their tickets when the new stadium was built because of the PSL's. Others got pushed out by people with more seniority because those on the first and second levels had to move up to the second and third levels if they could afford the PSL's thus making it impossible for a lot of real Jets fans to get season tickets if they could afford them. A lot of fans gave up their seats because of the PSL's.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've never been to a JETS home game, so I'm curious as to how is the tailgating experience at the stadium... As a whole I wonder if more teams invest in improving the tailgating experience, would that help to bring people to the stadium, ultimately putting them back in the seats... A better tailgate experience and a lower ticket price may, in my opinion, spark an increase in game day attendance...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Simply put, going to NFL games has become a rich (or at least upper middle class) person's thing to do. The days of packing stadiums with 100K fans are over. Just like baseball stadiums got smaller (Compare Jacobs Field to Municipal Stadium, New Yankee to Old), NFL stadiums have gotten smaller.

With PSL's and/or club seats, virtually all of the lower bowl, mezz seats on the between the 20's are a serious expense.

The makeup of Metlife Stadium fits the "new" profile:
    1) Rich people (and corporate hospitality) in the really good seats;
    2) Middle and Upper Middle Class in the endzones and corners; and
    3) Upper Deck: this area will be where they try to make sure the game stays relevant to the masses. Keeps those jersey sales going.

The big money to NFL teams will come from TV packages, advertising tie ins, and big money guys in the lower bowls.

Full Disclosure: We have seats in the LLEZ. Doing well enough to spend money on things I enjoy, but not the FU money to sit in clubs.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=HoustonJET;4504852]I've never been to a JETS home game, so I'm curious as to how is the tailgating experience at the stadium... As a whole I wonder if more teams invest in improving the tailgating experience, would that help to bring people to the stadium, ultimately putting them back in the seats... A better tailgate experience and a lower ticket price may, in my opinion, spark an increase in game day attendance...[/QUOTE]

if you are thinking of coming here for a game the best tailgate experience I know for someone on their own from afar can be found at tailgatejoe.com

provides a great spread, all the beer and soft drinks you want. It's a pay to go thing and it costs around 30 bucks a person for home games. Joe also does road games and I saw at his site that he is planning to be at the Jacksonville game in December

which is great for me because so will I

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JetsFan55;4504105]

"Across all sports, leagues and teams need to do a much better job of entertaining people who go to the game," said Scott Rosner, a sports-business professor at the Wharton Sports Business Initiative.

[/QUOTE]

This is the core of why I think the stadium experience has become worse over the years. These stupid marketing types don't understand that the GAME is the entertainment. No real fan needs blasting music every second there's not play on the field. As SAR said there's little ability to talk to the people around you about the game with so much pumped-in stadium noise. It is annoying.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Also I'd add the loutish behavior of people who are completely drunk. Have a few beers, sure, but don't use an NFL game as an excuse to just get wasted. The profanities, fights and generally uncivilized behavior in the stadium and parking lots makes it a place people don't want to bring their families.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Squirt;4504836]A lot of what is said here is true about the decline in attendance at games. I have been a season ticket holder for thirty plus years and consider myself very fortunate to still be able to purchase season tickets. The biggest reason for the decline in season ticket sales is the economy. I am a blue collar working class person and so were a lot of my fellow friends and Jets fans. A lot of those season ticket holders were hard working blue collar workers who have lost their jobs or have retired and can't afford to purchase season tickets anymore. Especially since the new stadiums and the PSL's. Almost everyone who I met at the games and tailgated with and sat next to in the stands told me they were giving up their tickets when the new stadium was built because of the PSL's. Others got pushed out by people with more seniority because those on the first and second levels had to move up to the second and third levels if they could afford the PSL's thus making it impossible for a lot of real Jets fans to get season tickets if they could afford them. A lot of fans gave up their seats because of the PSL's.[/QUOTE]

Most of those people burped and farted during the game anyway.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The last thing I want while I'm at the game is for more media and for another game or games streaming live on the scoreboards. I go to the games to get away from it all and to focus solely on the action on the field in front of me.

Also, it's stadiums and teams in the South that are killing the numbers. The South cares about Mary Jean Jo Don Danny Frank's next pig cook-out and NCAA football. The Dolphins, Buccaneers, Jaguars and Falcons all have one heck of a time selling seats, the Falcons obviously the better of the four at getting seats sold. Carolina probably does the best of any team in the South, if you take New Orleans out of the equation since they're just a different planet.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DDNYjets;4504193]

Screw the bells and whistles. Give me better parking, a decent place to take a piss and let me focus on the game. And throw out any fan who complains that people are standing up during the game. If you want to sit down all game, stay at home on your couch.[/QUOTE]

Post of the year. Seriously. 120% correct on all accounts.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=HoustonJET;4504852]I've never been to a JETS home game, so I'm curious as to how is the tailgating experience at the stadium... As a whole I wonder if more teams invest in improving the tailgating experience, would that help to bring people to the stadium, ultimately putting them back in the seats... A better tailgate experience and a lower ticket price may, in my opinion, spark an increase in game day attendance...[/QUOTE]

The Meadowlands reduced tailgating time to five hours before kickoff and that chased away some people, as did the PSL's and the Upper Deck being as high up as being on the top of Mt. Rushmore. The tailgating sometimes is the only thing that makes you get through the day with this organization. It's pretty solid, and always has been. Don't recall seeing more than a fight or two in the parking lot in almost 20 years of attending 95% of all home games. As for inside the stadium... Ha. Obviously that changes.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sg3;4504862]if you are thinking of coming here for a game the best tailgate experience I know for someone on their own from afar can be found at tailgatejoe.com

provides a great spread, all the beer and soft drinks you want. It's a pay to go thing and it costs around 30 bucks a person for home games. Joe also does road games and I saw at his site that he is planning to be at the Jacksonville game in December

which is great for me because so will I[/QUOTE]

Joe's parties are great, especially if you are attending an away game and want to hook up with fellow Jets fans. Attended his setup at Philly last year and it really made the game.

At home I prefer to cookout and hang with friends but PSLs have really screwed that up.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I`m just going to smile about this whole thing. :) Maybe there is a God? I have been praying the NFL fails in their greed driven business. Maybe prayers are being answered slowly. Slow death. Cool. The entire NFL gameday experience has changed drastically over the years. Good for them. I will continue to pray that even more fans stay home where the "experience" is much better. Eventually the games will become so boring to watch because no one is there in the stadium. TV stations will not be bothered giving the NFL billions anymore. So as far as my predictions have been going. Spot on so far. :yes:

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=The Band;4504975]I`m just going to smile about this whole thing. Maybe there is a God? I have been praying the NFL fails in their greed driven business. Maybe prayers are being answered slowly. Slow death. Cool. The entire NFL gameday experience has changed drastically over the years. Good for them. I will continue to pray that even more fans stay home where the "experience" is much better. Eventually the games will become so boring to watch because no one is there in the stadium. TV stations will not be bothered giving the NFL billions anymore. So as far as my predictions have been going. Spot on so far.[/QUOTE]

The Jets are 96% sold out of a stadium that holds 82,500 fans with 12,500 Club Seats and 44,000 PSL seats and, somehow, this is a "slow death"?

LOL.

More like a fulfilling birth. Enjoy the games on TV. Please note that the season ticket holders aren't praying to God for the satellite network to fail so that you can't watch games for free. Maybe we [I]should[/I].

SAR I

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4505085]The Jets are 96% sold out of a stadium that holds 82,500 fans with 12,500 Club Seats and 44,000 PSL seats and, somehow, this is a "slow death"?

LOL.

More like a fulfilling birth. Enjoy the games on TV. Please note that the season ticket holders aren't praying to God for the satellite network to fail so that you can't watch games for free. Maybe we [I]should[/I].

SAR I[/QUOTE]I believe you should start praying pretty hard right now. Not because your PSL`s have anything to do with it, but eventually they`ll be worth a Detroit Lions PSL($0.01). Slow death is exactly whats coming to all pro sports. They don`t play for pride of any kind. They only play for money. Sports fans want the pride. It isn`t about money to the regular fan. Thats why college sports, mainly football, is so much larger than the NFL.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=The Band;4504975]I`m just going to smile about this whole thing. :) Maybe there is a God? I have been praying the NFL fails in their greed driven business. Maybe prayers are being answered slowly. Slow death. Cool. The entire NFL gameday experience has changed drastically over the years. Good for them. I will continue to pray that even more fans stay home where the "experience" is much better. Eventually the games will become so boring to watch because no one is there in the stadium. TV stations will not be bothered giving the NFL billions anymore. So as far as my predictions have been going. Spot on so far. :yes:[/QUOTE]

oh so you are Ray (Iron Maiden). Sneaking in here on a new screen name? Dude. That is pathetic.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=The Band;4505136]I believe you should start praying pretty hard right now. Not because your PSL`s have anything to do with it, but eventually they`ll be worth a Detroit Lions PSL($0.01). Slow death is exactly whats coming to all pro sports. They don`t play for pride of any kind. They only play for money. Sports fans want the pride. It isn`t about money to the regular fan. Thats why college sports, mainly football, is so much larger than the NFL.[/QUOTE]

Don't agree with your doomsday scenario but the loss of focus on Team pride (personal pride abounds) is an interesting one. I was listening to some broadcasters talking about a basketball game (I don't follow the sport but it was a major team) where a guy gets slammed to the ground illegally and his teamates are laughing on the side like he deserved it.

Football and baseball haven't gone that far, but antics like holMEs last year are leading to it. I guess when you have $45 million in your pocket there isn't much left to give a sh!t about except your own acheivements. I don't have a cure or an answer, but it is a damn shame.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4505085]The Jets are 96% sold out of a stadium that holds 82,500 fans with 12,500 Club Seats and 44,000 PSL seats and, somehow, this is a "slow death"?

LOL.

SAR I[/QUOTE]

SAR -- have you ever taken the time to figure out what the total revenue generated by a 96% sold-out stadium is vs. the revenue in the last year of the 100% sold out old stadium?

Even without PSL revenue, the number has to be significantly bigger now than it was then.

If the Woodman could sign on the dotted line for 96% full for the next 28 years, I think he probably would.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=The Band;4505136]I believe you should start praying pretty hard right now. Not because your PSL`s have anything to do with it, but eventually they`ll be worth a Detroit Lions PSL($0.01). Slow death is exactly whats coming to all pro sports. They don`t play for pride of any kind. They only play for money. Sports fans want the pride. It isn`t about money to the regular fan. Thats why college sports, mainly football, is so much larger than the NFL.[/QUOTE]

Here's what you don't get: No PSL owner cares if we don't make back a dollar. We didn't do it for investment potential. We did it to cut the line and get great views, finally, after decades of waiting and suffering in sh-t seats.

If God came down and appeared before me in 1986 and told me that I could pay a measly extra $13 dollars a ticket to jump from #10,586 on the waitlist to first row seats in the Mezzanine, I'd have thanked him and paid with glee. That's what we all just did.

$13 is nothing. It's chump-change. Want a good cause to combat? Want a good fight to fight? Here, here's one:

A pack-a-day smoker spends $4,015 a year on cigarettes. In 30 years, a smoker will have spent $120,450 on cigarettes.

A PSL owner spends $130 for the fee on Jets games. A PSL owner will have spent $4,000 on Jets games.

Go bother someone else with your anti-PSL agenda. We're happy here. It's nothing, chump-change for those who can afford it in a stadium that's 96% sold out with vastly higher prices and commitments. Go Jets.

SAR I