Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A (Recent) History Lesson for My Conservative Friends

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=palmetto defender;4504442]I agree with some base closings. A third - I don't know. Need a listing. The recent one by Obama in australia is stupid. I am sure Bush had stupid ones also.
    Special forces and naval are fine. Strategic air is necessary.
    We need to maintain some tactical ground forces which are traditional. Drones are a nice assassination device but of little use in a real conflict.
    Special Forces are nice too, but have little staying power in a real conflict.[/QUOTE]

I actually liked the Australia base but that's not a make or break issue for me.

Having a very large air force AND multiple carriers seems redundant, although I understand redundancy as a military doctrine, I think we just went overboard.

And as to the tactical ground forces, that's what I'd cut back the most. Through the closings of bases and cutting of tanks and other armored personnel vehicles, those are 20th century weapons made for conventional wars. Plus we have two oceans to protect our homeland.

I don't see why it's necessary, and I think the overabundance of military options leads to greater military usage.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=cr726;4504292]2011 DOD budget was $687 BILLION[/QUOTE]

We actually got something with that mullah(to much mullah) what have we gotten in return on social programs. More and more people on food stamps, illegal immigration free everything just come and get it. Worst of all no incentive to do anything for yourself.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you're going to cut military PERSONNEL, unemployment is going to skyrocket because there are no jobs to come home to. At least "useless bases" provide labor positions, as opposed to 99 weeks of unemployment checks.

The real cost cutting in defense should be the ridiculous amount of weaponry. That's the obvious shell game in all of this, acting like we "need" this stuff when it's really just to further line the pockets of the highly connected in Washington.

Unfortunately, the fact that they're highly connected is exactly why it's highly unlikely it's ever gonna change . . .

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=MnJetFan;4504575]We actually got something with that mullah(to much mullah) what have we gotten in return on social programs. More and more people on food stamps, illegal immigration free everything just come and get it. Worst of all no incentive to do anything for yourself.[/QUOTE]

Do you ever try to back up your constant bs?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SafetyBlitz;4504534]I actually liked the Australia base but that's not a make or break issue for me.

Having a very large air force AND multiple carriers seems redundant, although I understand redundancy as a military doctrine, I think we just went overboard.

And as to the tactical ground forces, that's what I'd cut back the most. Through the closings of bases and cutting of tanks and other armored personnel vehicles, those are 20th century weapons made for conventional wars. Plus we have two oceans to protect our homeland.

I don't see why it's necessary, and I think the overabundance of military options leads to greater military usage.[/QUOTE]

Naval air and AF air serve different purposes AND have different capabiliites. Naval has more mobility. AF has more muscle, in a fixed position.
    Wars are not always of the TYPE we choose. Some HEAVY ground forces are necessary. Currently we have only ONE armored division. We have five heavy infantry divisions anfd four light ones. That's it. Spread thin.
    Marines are a separate issue. Different role. Limited capabilty. Sorry jetdawg.
    But closings are necessary. Even in the U.S.
    Reduce the amount of and use of outside contractors. I never understood or liked the concept.