Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Penn State/Sandusky e-mails

Penn State/Sandusky e-mails

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...#ixzz1zQBDXitZ

Joe Paterno influenced Penn State officials to keep quiet about Jerry Sandusky, emails reveal

The missives seemingly contradict the late Paterno's claim that he alerted higher-ups to a report of Sandusky showering with a boy and had nothing to do with the matter after that.

BY TRACY CONNOR / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

SATURDAY, JUNE 30, 2012, 12:23 AM

Newly uncovered emails in the Jerry Sandusky case show that Penn State officials were on the verge of blowing the whistle on him -- but changed their minds after talking to coach Joe Paterno.

The missives, obtained by CNN, seemingly contradict the late Paterno's claim that he alerted higher-ups to a report of Sandusky showering with a boy and had nothing to do with the matter after that.

They could also spell trouble for a trio of university bigwigs: Athletic Director Tom Curley and Senior Vice President Gary Schultz, who have been charged with perjury, and former college president Graham Spanier, who was forced to resign after the scandal broke.

Tom Kline, a lawyer for one of the molestation victims, called the emails "shocking" and told CNN they showed a "concerted, conscious, collaborative effort" to keep Sandusky's crimes a secret from authorities.

The emails were sent in 2001, two weeks after assistant coach Mike McQueary found Sandusky and a boy in a shower - and three years after another shower incident.

They reveal that Penn State administrators planned to alert Sandusky's Second Mile charity and the state Department of Public Welfare, but dropped that idea after consulting with Paterno.

"After giving it more thought and talking it over with Joe yesterday, I am uncomfortable with what we agreed were the next steps," Curley wrote to Schultz and Spanier.

The officials even acknowledged in the emails that not raising the red flag about Sandusky's conduct could land them in hot water "down the road."

But Curley expressed support for getting "professional help" for the defensive coordinator.

"I would be more comfortable meeting with the person and tell them about the information we received and tell them we are aware of the first situation," he reportedly wrote.

Spanier said he was "supportive" of that approach, according to CNN.

"The only downside for us is if the message isn't heard and acted upon and we then become vulnerable for not having reported it," he wrote presciently.

Penn State never reported the troubling allegations to law enforcement. The emails seem to contradict Curley's claim he didn't know about the 1998 shower incident, since he appears to refer to it. They also fly in the face of Paterno's claim that he wasn't involved in a coverup. The legendary Nittany Lions coach, who was fired after the allegations became public, died of lung cancer in January.

Sandusky was convicted last week of abusing 10 boys for years. His adopted son has since come forward to say he was repeatedly molested, starting when he was 8 years old.
    Obviously the NCAA is the least of their problems right now, but does Penn State get the "death penalty"
    Last edited by 21st Amendment; 07-01-2012 at 11:37 PM.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by 21st Amendment View Post
    Obviously the NCAA is the least of their problems right now, but does Penn State get the "death penalty"
    I hate to ruin the plans and dreams of thousands of students currently attending.

But the innocence of one child is worth it.

F*** them.

F Paterno and his faux legacy.

Yes there is a price to pay.

Let them pay it, even if it saves one more kid.

-

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    I hate to ruin the plans and dreams of thousands of students currently attending.

But the innocence of one child is worth it.

F*** them.

F Paterno and his faux legacy.

Yes there is a price to pay.

Let them pay it, even if it saves one more kid.

-
    It's disgusting what they did and anyone that didn't think Paterno was involved either had their head in the sand or up their ass. Paterno was incredibly powerful.

His legacy is that of a man that could have saved young children from a pederast but was more interested in football.

Screw him.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Time to clean house if they have a shred of decency.

Strip him of all of his wins so Bobby Bowden (a man of tremendous character) can have the honor of most wins in D1 history.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

It's almost an injustice that lung cancer took him in like a month and a half.

And remember those moron undergrads holding a candlelight vigil at his house when he retired? Sickening. ****ing fools .

I said it before, and I'll say it again:

The parents of the kids who Sandusky molested should sentence him, short of the death penalty (which is too good for him, IMO).

Penn State needs to be thoroughly investigated, and charges should be brought up on anyone involved, including the late Joe Paterno (yes, bring up charges and sully his reputation).

I know that this doesn't have to do with football, but there's nothing anyone can do to make some of these people held accountable for their actions (or lack thereof).

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonhomme Richard View Post
    It's almost an injustice that lung cancer took him in like a month and a half.

And remember those moron undergrads holding a candlelight vigil at his house when he retired? Sickening. ****ing fools .
    So much +1

**** that whole institution.

All League
    Except if you read the CNN article that the Daily News cites it looks like the Daily News headline is fabricating stuff. The CNN article says nothing that would support the DN headline, unless I'm missing something (which is possible, I been out on the boat today...brak). But in fact, it specifically says "He refers to a conversation the day before with Paterno. It's not known what Paterno may have said to Curley."

Sorry, I know this won't be popular with the rush to judgment crowd. But while I'm not giving Paterno a pass, so far this looks like the Daily News taking another news service's reporting and misrepresenting it for a splashy headline. Whisper down the lane. Not that the Daily News would ever do that, would it?

Edit: Here's the CNN article:

http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/30/justic...ils/index.html
    Last edited by BushyTheBeaver; 07-02-2012 at 12:07 AM.

In an alleged e-mail dated February 26, 2001, Schultz writes to Curley that he assumes Curley's "got the ball" about a three-part plan to "talk with the subject asap regarding the future appropriate use of the University facility," ... "contacting the chair of the charitable organization" and "contacting the Department of Welfare," according to a source with knowledge of the case.

(The "subject" is Sandusky and his Second Mile charity is the "charitable organization," according to a source with knowledge of the e-mails.

Pennsylvania law requires suspected child abuse be reported to outside authorities, including the state's child welfare agencies).
    But then, something changes.

The next evening, February 27, Curley allegedly writes to Spanier; Schultz, who's out of the office for two weeks, is copied.

Curley refers to a meeting scheduled that day with Spanier and indicates they apparently discussed the Sandusky incident two days earlier.

Curley indicates he no longer wants to contact child welfare authorities just yet. He refers to a conversation the day before with Paterno. It's not known what Paterno may have said to Curley.

Curley allegedly writes: "After giving it more thought and talking it over with Joe yesterday, I am uncomfortable with what we agreed were the next steps."
    I think it's fair for us to assume Paterno persuaded them not to turn in Sandusky.
    Last edited by 21st Amendment; 07-02-2012 at 12:15 AM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by BushyTheBeaver View Post
    Except if you read the CNN article that the Daily News cites it looks like the Daily News headline is fabricating stuff. The CNN article says nothing that would support the DN headline, unless I'm missing something (which is possible, I been out on the boat today...brak). But in fact, it specifically says "He refers to a conversation the day before with Paterno. It's not known what Paterno may have said to Curley."

Sorry, I know this won't be popular with the rush to judgment crowd. But while I'm not giving Paterno a pass, so far this looks like the Daily News taking another news service's reporting and misrepresenting it for a splashy headline. Whisper down the lane. Not that the Daily News would ever do that, would it?

Edit: Here's the CNN article:

Jets Insider VIP
    I could care less what the Daily News headline says.

Paterno wasn't some old fool. I never bought his bullsh!t story that he didn't know much. Paterno was very powerful at Penn State and I have no doubt that he knew exactly what was going on.

Don't forget that he knew about this for 10 years!

10 YEARS!!!

He was only looking out for his legacy and for his beloved Penn State football program and he let children get molested.

And don't forget that even after he knew the details that he did, he still remained an honorary board member of the Second Mile.

The Second Miles motto was:

“Providing Children with Help and Hope.”

When exactly did Paterno provide these children with any help and / or hope?

Quite to the contrary, when he had a chance to help, he did the bare minimum just so he could try to cover his ass.

Paterno knew about this since at least 2001 and he remained as an Honorary Board of Trustees member of the second mile until the scandal broke loose???

So I don't need a Daily News headline to tell me that he he has no honor.

Hall Of Fame
    Headline is a little misleading.

But it doesn't change anything. I think we all know that Paterno knew something was going on with Sandusky. I don't need a stupid email to prove that. The man ran that town for crying out loud.

I have adored Joe Pa my entire life and I am still in denial over this. Literally found out that everything I thought I knew was a lie.

But I do not want to take it out on football players. I think they are going to clean house but to end the football program is silly. Current players and future players have nothing to do with this.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 07-02-2012 at 06:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by crossfire View Post
    I could care less what the Daily News headline says.

Paterno wasn't some old fool. I never bought his bullsh!t story that he didn't know much. Paterno was very powerful at Penn State and I have no doubt that he knew exactly what was going on.

Don't forget that he knew about this for 10 years!

10 YEARS!!!

He was only looking out for his legacy and for his beloved Penn State football program and he let children get molested.

And don't forget that even after he knew the details that he did, he still remained an honorary board member of the Second Mile.

The Second Miles motto was:

“Providing Children with Help and Hope.”

When exactly did Paterno provide these children with any help and / or hope?

Quite to the contrary, when he had a chance to help, he did the bare minimum just so he could try to cover his ass.

Paterno knew about this since at least 2001 and he remained as an Honorary Board of Trustees member of the second mile until the scandal broke loose???

So I don't need a Daily News headline to tell me that he he has no honor.
    They should melt down his statue and remove all evidence of him...what a scumbag.

All League
    Shouldn't it be could not care less?

Just sayin.

They all sound like scumbags at Pennis State.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    Shouldn't it be could not care less?

Just sayin.

They all sound like scumbags at Pennis State.
    Yes. My mistake.

BTW, Joe's estate got $5mill+ from Penn State after his death. That money should be reclaimed and given to the victims. Plus his estate should be sued. His wife will still have plenty. Sandusky's assets should be seized. His wife was aware.
    The AD and VP should be imprisponed for perjury. Heavily sued.
    Where is his son who was an asss't? Hopefully not still there.

Banned
    I've been a Penn State fan my whole life, mainly because of Joe Paterno. Not anymore. The school's, and his, actions in this whole thing is sickening.

All Pro
    Joe Pa nev r molested anyone, but knowing this was going on and not doing anything about it is almost as bad. They should remove all statues and everything about Joe Pa from that university.