Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tony Sparano appreciation thread

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Tony Sparano appreciation thread

I want to say some good things about the guy cause we all know he'll be bashed and the "fire Tony" threads will start as soon as we go 3 and out in the pre season. So I want the positive energy to flow around Tony ... u know maybe that whole "secret" nonsense can bounce from here then off Tony and on to some Jet fans to give them some patience to stay away from calling for his head as early as week 1. So here's some of the positive things I like about Tony already

- He's not Schotty

- His name ... CNN once had a song where the acronym of T.O.N.Y stood for "Top Of New York" ... Thats gotta mean something

- I like the shades tony

- Tony always brings that attitude and toughness. He's a no nonsense guy

- All the talk about he offense's tempo has me SUPER excited

- Oh and how he has the offense running hard after turnovers so the TO's don't automatically turn into points ... I thought that was cool

Lets go TONY!

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=LadainianIMnotDONE;4505339]I want to say some good things about the guy cause we all know he'll be bashed and the "fire Tony" threads will start as soon as we go 3 and out in the pre season. So I want the positive energy to flow around Tony ... u know maybe that whole "secret" nonsense can bounce from here then off Tony and on to some Jet fans to give them some patience to stay away from calling for his head as early as week 1. So here's some of the positive things I like about Tony already

- He's not Schotty

- His name ... CNN once had a song where the acronym of T.O.N.Y stood for "Top Of New York" ... Thats gotta mean something

- I like the shades tony

- Oh and how he has the offense running hard after turnovers so the TO's don't automatically turn into points ... I thought that was cool

Lets go TONY![/QUOTE]

Didn't that show get discontinued?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=LadainianIMnotDONE;4505339]I want to say some good things about the guy cause we all know he'll be bashed and the "fire Tony" threads will start as soon as we go 3 and out in the pre season. So I want the positive energy to flow around Tony ... u know maybe that whole "secret" nonsense can bounce from here then off Tony and on to some Jet fans to give them some patience to stay away from calling for his head as early as week 1. So here's some of the positive things I like about Tony already

- He's not Schotty

- I like the shades tony

Lets go TONY![/QUOTE]

love your enthusiasm, but lets wait and see what happens this year in the games. I think the hire was good, but he still hasn't done anything yet.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fire everybody. 0-16. SOJ.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Let's fire everyone but Tebow, and he can prove he can win all by himself.

I like reason number 1 the best. I like the tempo, accountability, and the options. Did I mention I like #1

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lets wait and see what sparano does on Sunday before we start any appreciation threads. Just ask dolphins fans what they think of the guy.

On the rams board, they are probably opening up Schotty appreciation threads. and we know all about that.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=124;4505348]Fire everybody. 0-16. SOJ.[/QUOTE]

Amen?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I admire your enthusiasm and I agree that Sparano has some qualities that I think this team will benefit from. But lets wait and see what the offense looks like Week 1.

Until then, Sparano is just another fired coach that is hoping to resurrect himself on another team.

Hate to break it to people but Sparano is not a proven OC or playcaller.

Lets hope for the best. He has his work cut out for him with this offense.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I really like the fact that we're featuring an offensive coordinator in Tony Sparano who's been involved with the game of football since 1984. Started off as an offensive line coach (college) from 1984-1987 and made his NFL debut as an offensive quality control with the Cleveland Browns back in 1999. He's been in the league ever since. Became the Brown's offensive line coach in 2000. The Redskins/Jaguars TE coach during the 2001/2002 seasons (Dustin Keller), was an offensive line and assistant head coach with Dallas from 2003-2007 and Miami's head coach from 2008-2011. I appreciate his overall experience and knowledge in regards to the offensive side of the ball.

I'm also anxious to see how Sanchez and our offense develops under Sparano. Enjoying the fact that Sparano will allow not only Sanchez, but our WR's the opportunity to read an NFL defense and either audible the play at the L.O.S or have the WR's hot route their route depending on how the opposing defense has came out lined up. Santonio Holmes will no longer be forced to run routes into the heart of an opposing defense and Mark Sanchez will no longer be forced (Shotty Jr) into running plays, that shouldn't have been ran in the first place. Will there be mistakes and overall confusion between Sanchez (audibles) and our WR's (hot routing)? Of course, but our offense will become a more complete offense because of Sparano's willingness to install trust within his offensive players.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Fat Tuna picked him to coach the Phish when nobody really knew who he was.

Why, because Bill witnessed what kind of coach he was in Dallas. A no-nonsense, in your face, hard-nose football coach.

In my opinion, this is exactly what our O needs. If Hunter whiffs on a block or If Sanchez has a bone-headed turnover, there will be hell to pay...and that's a good thing!!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE]The Fat Tuna picked him to coach the Phish when nobody really knew who he was.[/QUOTE]

and it turned out to be a disaster so Im not sure why you are stating this like it was a good thing.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ctjetfan;4505406]The Fat Tuna picked him to coach the Phish when nobody really knew who he was.

Why, because Bill witnessed what kind of coach he was in Dallas. A no-nonsense, in your face, hard-nose football coach.

In my opinion, this is exactly what our O needs. If Hunter whiffs on a block or If Sanchez has a bone-headed turnover, there will be hell to pay...and that's a good thing!![/QUOTE]

Parcells also had him calling plays in Dallas. And I trust Bill more than anyone on this board

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    While way too early to appreciate the guy, I'm happy about the Sparano hire for one primary reason - his style of offense seems to cater to what Sanchez does best:

- Run-first approach: Let's face it, Sanchez has never shown himself to be a guy that would be successful putting the ball up 35-40 times a game or more. That's what Schotty wanted, and why he'll be a better fit in STL. Sparano's style is better for what we've seen from this QB.

- Play-action & bombs: If you go back to his rookie year in '09, there were two elements of the passing game in which I thought Sanchez was well above-average - throwing off of play-action and connecting on bombs. The Jets didn't do either often enough last year, but Sparano's Miami teams did that plenty.

- Pace: How many times in '10 & '11 were people commenting on the fact that Sanchez played much better in the 2-minute offense? While the Jets won't be going no-huddle/2-minute all game, hard not to believe that the faster pace will suit Sanchez better, since that's all we've seen throughout his career.

I wasn't a Schotty hater...I still believe much of the offensive struggles were due to the fact that Sanchez did not grow as a passer as we all would have hoped. But I can readily acknowledge that Schotty was not right for this team, and that Sparano's style/philosophy at least looks to be a better mesh with the personnel.

Plus, it's the offseason, when every coach/player acquired is an improvement. :D

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

- He's not Schotty

- I like the shades tony

Lets go TONY![/QUOTE]

he looks promising and i liked this from the start, but im not providing any appreciation until i see the product on the field

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;4505411]and it turned out to be a disaster so Im not sure why you are stating this like it was a good thing.[/QUOTE]

The man oversaw the greatest single-season turnaround in NFL history in his first year as a head coach. If that's a disaster, what have the Jets been for the last 40+ years?

Sparano didn't get the job done over the last few years, but he was dealing with possibly the most inept front office in the game today. Look at what that crew did this offseason - Giving away Marshall? Ochocinco? Missing out on every available QB and then picking Tannehill at 8?

Yeah, you typically can't give a guy credit for one year and then let him off the hook for subsequent bad years, but when you see the ****storm that is the Dolphins FO, you can at least hope that the first year is more indicative of what the guy can bring to the table.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;4505367]Lets wait and see what sparano does on Sunday before we start any appreciation threads. Just ask dolphins fans what they think of the guy.

On the rams board, they are probably opening up Schotty appreciation threads. and we know all about that.[/QUOTE]

Dolphins fans are myopic clowns

They thought Jay Fielder was better than Dan Marino once upon a time

Why should we give a **** what Dolphin fans think?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=GreenWave;4505424]The man oversaw the greatest single-season turnaround in NFL history in his first year as a head coach. If that's a disaster, what have the Jets been for the last 40+ years?

Sparano didn't get the job done over the last few years, [B][U]but he was dealing with possibly the most inept front office in the game today. Look at what that crew did this offseason - Giving away Marshall? Ochocinco? Missing out on every available QB and then picking Tannehill at 8?[/U][/B]

Yeah, you typically can't give a guy credit for one year and then let him off the hook for subsequent bad years, but when you see the ****storm that is the Dolphins FO, you can at least hope that the first year is more indicative of what the guy can bring to the table.[/QUOTE]

Great post, well said.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I appreciate anyone who isn't Brian Schottenheimer. Could've hired Paul Hackett and I would've been happy. Hell, could have hired Buddy Hackett.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=GreenWave;4505416]While way too early to appreciate the guy, I'm happy about the Sparano hire for one primary reason - his style of offense seems to cater to what Sanchez does best:

[B]- Run-first approach: Let's face it, Sanchez has never shown himself to be a guy that would be successful putting the ball up 35-40 times a game or more. That's what Schotty wanted, and why he'll be a better fit in STL. Sparano's style is better for what we've seen from this QB.[/B]

- Play-action & bombs: If you go back to his rookie year in '09, there were two elements of the passing game in which I thought Sanchez was well above-average - throwing off of play-action and connecting on bombs. The Jets didn't do either often enough last year, but Sparano's Miami teams did that plenty.

- Pace: How many times in '10 & '11 were people commenting on the fact that Sanchez played much better in the 2-minute offense? While the Jets won't be going no-huddle/2-minute all game, hard not to believe that the faster pace will suit Sanchez better, since that's all we've seen throughout his career.

I wasn't a Schotty hater...I still believe much of the offensive struggles were due to the fact that Sanchez did not grow as a passer as we all would have hoped. But I can readily acknowledge that Schotty was not right for this team, and that Sparano's style/philosophy at least looks to be a better mesh with the personnel.

Plus, it's the offseason, when every coach/player acquired is an improvement. :D[/QUOTE]

I have a problem with this notion, and it's getting way overplayed by the media, and IMO, fans are being wrongly influenced by it.

Yes, Sparano, much like Rex, loves to run the ball, they love to run the ball because a good running game exemplifies identify and physicality. A team with a good running game, means control of the game, dominating the time of possession, and most importantly, keeping the defense OFF of the field. That is key.

This should NOT mean, the team will not throw the ball, or can't throw the ball, and that the passing game will not be dynamic or that Sanchez who whoever the QB is, can't handle an advanced passing game.

Fans and media are making too big a deal of it, it's about philosophy. Teams that like to throw the ball, have the mad scientist like OC's that emphasize this style of offense. Just like any offense, sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't, it's all about preference, it's equally about personnel. The notion was made that Sanchez struggled last year because the Jets wanted to pass the ball more. This couldn't be further from the truth. The Jets struggled in the passing game, because the running game struggled, because the OL struggled, because the OC changed the philosophy of the offense, and because of lacking talent and explosiveness at the skill positions, especially at WR. If the talent at WR isn't there, it's tough to have an explosive passing attack.

Talent has been addressed at the WR position in a big way this past off-season, a lot of size and a lot of speed, that was by design. Now, the unit is younger and more inexperienced, but that is the direction the team wanted to head in, comprosing age and experience for youth for talent, i.e. Burress, Mason, and then bringing in players like Schilens, who brings a little of both, youth, size, speed, and talent, but at least has SOME experience. Players like Hill, Kerley, Ganaway, etc, are big infusions of talent, some with very big upside, but they are unknowns.

The team wants to throw the ball, Sparano wants to the throw the ball, but they want their identity to be with game control, dominating the LOS and TOP, and have a physical football team.
    Last edited by Ray Ray19; 07-02-2012 at 10:50 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;4505411]and it turned out to be a disaster so Im not sure why you are stating this like it was a good thing.[/QUOTE]

It was a disaster? Didn't he take the chad Pennington lead Dolphins to an 11-5 Division championship in 2008? I think what he did with the team last year was impressive. Dolphins started terrible, lost sone close games, but the team never quit on him and finished the season with a huge winning streak.

If he ever had an above average QB in Miami, I think things would have been much better for him.