Thread: Why we shouldn't pay the media too much mind...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Why we shouldn't pay the media too much mind...

It seems that no matter what we THE JETS do, it will always be stripped down in order to find something negative... The loser of this article makes mention of how some of our charitable JETS are "supposedly" running a non-profit scam... It's frustrating to always see the JETS get bashed by the media especially PFT... between them and Cinamini, I don't know who I despise the most...

[url]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/02/report-some-nyc-athlete-charities-arent-that-charitable/[/url]
    [QUOTE]One of the first things most professional athletes do is set up a charitable foundation. It’s part of the script, good for public relations and tax purposes.

And many athletes use those for the greater good, to give back to their hometowns or a cause near their hearts. But the New York Post reports that some athletes aren’t as charitable as they may seem.

The story mentions that Jets left tackle D’Brickashaw Ferguson’s foundation pays his mother more than $90,000 in salary and benefits, while donating just less than $40,000, according to tax documents. The foundation’s accountant said there were also donations of more than $25,000 to churches, and of bicycles to kids.

Jets outside linebacker Aaron Maybin also promotes a non-profit to help the poor, but his charity is registered as a for-profit company. The report also mentions Giants defensive end Osi Umenyiora’s “Strike 4 A Cure,” as being “defunct for years.”

There’s an incredible amount of good work being done by so many athletes, but stories such as this one contribute to a greater cynicism, that many are just doing it for the P.R.[/QUOTE]

Maybe I'm reaching to make a point, but that's my $0.02...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    And then you have the big guns like united way that supposedly only give away pennies on the dollar of their donations.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    It was a little weird that 2 Jets were featured in this story--but it is also definitely true that pro athletes set up charities to pay their friends/family salaries without donating much.

It is embarrassing that D'Brick's "charity" only contributed $30k to charity last year and paid his mother a salary/benefits package worth more than $90k.

That's not how charities are supposed to work.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's not so bad that the media point out pro-athletes that start charities that fail to deliver, because they do consistently highlight guys efforts that have gotten it right (Mark Texeira of the yanks had an article in the NY post just the other day praising him). It is annoying that they target 2 Jet players because i'd be surprised if there wasn't a Giant player or two whose charity has failed to deliver.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    u should never pay attention to the media.. period.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    So you don't want to find out if charities are ripping people off? :confused:

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    First David Diehl, now Osi.

Tom Coughlin has lost all control of that lockerroom.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    When it comes to the media and the Jets everything is a story. They make Rex sitting out Coples at OTA's a story... Sanchez throwing to the corner a story... Rex's mouth a story ...

It's ridiculous. I think it should be common knowledge by now, that we can't take everything the media says to the head.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=FF2®;4505813]So you don't want to find out if charities are ripping people off? :confused:[/QUOTE]

That's only if he's taking donations. The article didn't mention anything about donations. So Brick set up a charity with his own money, and is donating over 40k to kids, and 80k to his mom. So what?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=NY's stepchild;4506125]That's only if he's taking donations. The article didn't mention anything about donations. So Brick set up a charity with his own money, and is donating over 40k to kids, and 80k to his mom. So what?[/QUOTE]

LOLz, why not just give his Mom the money? :confused:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=FF2®;4506135]LOLz, why not just give his Mom the money? :confused:[/QUOTE]

Taxes

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    So Brick's a fraud off the field too?

Hahahaha ... no surprise.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=NY's stepchild;4506140]Taxes[/QUOTE]

message!!

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetrider;4506373]So Brick's a fraud off the field too?

Hahahaha ... no surprise.[/QUOTE]

That you would say something that stupid, no, no surprise.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Speaking of charity work:

I love those homies that camp in front of supermarkets with their padlocked wooden boxes and laminated "credentials" and other crap anyone can fabricate at Kinko's.

Are we supposed to think it's all legit - the money is safe - and the padlock doesn't belong to Johnny MoFo Riffraff?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jet Nut;4506402]That you would say something that stupid, no, no surprise.[/QUOTE]

You love Brick, I think he sucks.

You think Holmes didn't quit on the team late last season, anyone with a brain knows he did.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetrider;4506411]Speaking of charity work:

I love those homies that camp in front of supermarkets with their padlocked wooden boxes and laminated "credentials" and other crap anyone can fabricate at Kinko's.

Are we supposed to think it's all legit - the money is safe - and the padlock doesn't belong to Johnny MoFo Riffraff?[/QUOTE]

Most of those are legit, I know my VFW post is at Walmart 3 or 4 times a year. And those guys are happy with change or a buck.

As for the original poster, this is a legit part of being a reporter, finding something wrong and alerting the public. You raise $130,000 from dinners, golf tournaments saying the money is going to a needy cause, (who ends up being your mother) then (just guessing) that he then bills the IRS and NY tax
    for time time he spent on the charity and takes that as a deduction.

This is not a stab at the jets, but to the player himself.
    Last edited by patman; 07-03-2012 at 06:41 AM.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=HoustonJET;4505600]It seems that no matter what we THE JETS do, it will always be stripped down in order to find something negative... The loser of this article makes mention of how some of our charitable JETS are "supposedly" running a non-profit scam... It's frustrating to always see the JETS get bashed by the media especially PFT... between them and Cinamini, I don't know who I despise the most...

[url]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/02/report-some-nyc-athlete-charities-arent-that-charitable/[/url]

Maybe I'm reaching to make a point, but that's my $0.02...[/QUOTE]

There is no media vendetta against the Jets. Fans of every single team seem to believe this about their team for whatever reason.