Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Will the Jets punch people in the mouth this year?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Will the Jets punch people in the mouth this year?

Lets be honest, the 2009-2010 NY Jets were a completely different team than the squad that trotted out onto the field in 2011.
    Cotchery- Tough > Mason - DOG!
    Edwards- physical > Burress- slow & timid
    LT- 2010 (had something left) > 2011 (Toast)
    Scott 2010 (badazz) > 2011 (fat)
    Woody (Beast) > Hunter (huge drop off)
    Mangold/Slauson/Moore 2010 (healthy) > 2011 (All of them nicked up)
    Holmes 2010 (stellar/won like 5 games for us) > 2011 (shottenheimered)

My point is that 2011 was just a BAD YEAR for NY Jets. It happens to teams.
    It happened to the Eagles & they have much more talent than the Jets.

Sometimes you have to take a step back to take a step forward. Losing got us what 99% of Jet fans wanted, Shottenheimer the hell out of here! This guy would still be here if we went 10-6 & lost our 1st round playoff game.

Jets have a coaching staff that can get the job done. Sanchez has a new toy in Thrill Hill that he will be playing catch with for 5 years. Personally, I feel the RB from Memphis will be the sleeper pick we were looking for to compliment Greene & Mcknight. Tebow will carry a few LBs in the endzone to pump up the home crowd & the defense only needs to turn up their passrush just enough to reinvigorate the secondary.
    Physical teams win in this league/The Steelers have been doing it for years now. The Giants won the Superbowl being more physical than the Pats. We all can marvel at Elis throw along the sideline but the fact remains that New England only scored 17 points. The Jets should beat the Pats holding them to 17 points.
    I understand there are a lot of Jet fans with a show me attitude but you gotta stick by your team. I've been waiting 44 years too but I also like to enjoy the season, enjoy the great wins & not jump off the cliff when things go wrong. It is a game after all.
    Go Jets!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jets will make the playoffs this year but not without the usual cardiac drama in the final week(s).

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    We added two competent blockers at WR, a 250 lb QB/RB hybrid and another 240 RB. If the Oline stays healthy then we should be able to pound other teams.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetrider View Post
    Jets will make the playoffs this year but not without the usual cardiac drama in the final week(s).
    Like Bill Parcells always said, "you gotta get into the tournament".
    As a wildcard we went to the AFC championship game twice. last year we all knew they had NO CHANCE even if they made the playoffs.
    Blessing in disguise!
    Rex got humbled
    Sanchez got humbled
    Our defense got humbled
    Shottenheimer got fired (This was HUGE! I honestly believe that this guy is just a bad coach & has been coasting on his "this guys gonna be the next young headcoach" hype that was circulating around the NFL after 1 decent season with Chad Pennington. I still laugh about 2008 when Favre want public in his dislike of the complexity of the offense. (The guy came from a GREAT offensive system in Greenbay & went, " dude, why all the motion? this chit isn't fooling anybody but us".)

Bottom line is this team was living on it's 2009/2010 laurels & forgot that the only way you win a championship is through dedication & hardwork.
    Sparano might not be the sharpest tool in the drawer but he knows football & that's all I care about! He still is the guy that put in a wildcat system (and taught it & implimented it so well) that had Bill Belichick mumbling on the sideline & watched as the Fins came into Gillette & kicked their azz.

If he can get Sanchez to just STOP giving the other team the ball we'll win 2-4 more games. Very excited for this season, I think it's gonna be a great season for Jet fans.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    No, b.c that would be a 15 yd penalty.

Lets just say that with Sparano and Rex getting this team back to basics that I am sure we can expect some smash mouth football this year. They both pride themselves on having physical teams and playing tough. I hope and look forward to seeing that brand of football this year.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigFL View Post
    We added two competent blockers at WR, a 250 lb QB/RB hybrid and another 240 RB. If the Oline stays healthy then we should be able to pound other teams.
    Agreed, a lot of teams are built to stop a wide open offense today. This is where I believe the media has it wrong. I certainly think we will ground & pound but I see Sparano letting Mark do what he does best, which is playaction & FORCE these teams that load the box vs us to respect our deep game also.

I don't give 2 chits that Hill is a rookie! The guy is BIG, FAST, & if you don't respect that, Sparano will not be afraid to let Mark pull the trigger, unlike Shottenheimer. I believe that Sparano will force teams to cover more of the football field allowing our Oline & running backs to work in just a little more space then they did last year.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was just thinking that Rex & Sparano are the only coaches that have gone into Gillette & SHOCKED the Pats.

It's gotta be good for something.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Whether people want to admit it or not, the Jets are going back to what made them tough in their first 2 years under Rex. Many teams take steps back before another forward. Pittsburgh, Baltimore, etc.

The Jets are the new Steelers of the 90s. I'm expecting a physical team that's more focused this year than the previous 3 combined. Bad news for teams who don't come prepared.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I say yes, but not to the level of physicality that teams like the Steelers and 49ers bring.

Those teams have violent players. Smith, Smith & Willis on the 9ers; Harrison, Woodley & Polamalu on the Steelers. Those are guys who set the tone for their defenses and the rest of the guys try to play like that.

The Jets have Hitman Harris, who's very good but not a violent hitter. Scott is on his last legs. Landry is a question mark, and the line has either veteran blue-collar guys like Pouha & Devito or youngsters like Wilk & Coples.

On offense, the physical lineman (Woody & Faneca) are gone and the good remaining players are finesse/technique guys. Greene is not a powerful back. Jets have no power players at TE.

I think this team will play hard and tough - would expect nothing less from a Rex Ryan squad, and I still think they can boast a top-10 defense. But they have a long way to go (especially on offense) before they're in the class of the Steelers, Niners & Ravens...the teams that really do punch you in the mouth.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    no, it will be more stealthy, like this:

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lets see our offensive is led by a GQ ladies man and a bible thumping virgin, let by an retired italian guy from Florida and a Fat Guy from New Jersey, oh yea we are tough stuff.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Alkrotraz View Post
    Lets see our offensive is led by a GQ ladies man and a bible thumping virgin, let by an retired italian guy from Florida and a Fat Guy from New Jersey, oh yea we are tough stuff.
    Excellent.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    SOJF and SOPF at work.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    we better punch people in the mouth cause we don't have that spread you out 5 wide type of team. Our defense is still our bread and butter and O line is the strength of the offense which doesn't say much coming off the year they just had. If we don't punch people in the mouth and get extra physical and dominate in that regard then we are a 6-10 team. Our strength is defense and O line ... we better be that team or its going to be a terrible season.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    2012 Jets = 2000 Baltimore Ravens

Great defense...awful offense.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chihuahua View Post
    2012 Jets = 2000 Baltimore Ravens

Great defense...awful offense.
    That is a ridiculous comparison.

First off, the 2012 Jets defense is no where near the defense the Ravens had in 2000. Totally absurd to make that comparison.

Second,the Ravens offense was ranked in the top half of the NFL at #14. The Jets offense is ranked in the mid-20's.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post

First off, the 2012 Jets defense is no where near the defense the Ravens had in 2000. Totally absurd to make that comparison.

Second,the Ravens offense was ranked in the top half of the NFL at #14. The Jets offense is ranked in the mid-20's.
    There's no team like that defense in 2000. To make those comparisons is unfair. Are there teams that can compare to the Rams offense in the late 90s? Maybe, but it's always an unfair comparison.

The 2012 Jets are coming off an 8-8 season. Where they go from there is up to them. The same for every other team in the league.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    There's no team like that defense in 2000.
    The '85 Bears defense were right up there with them.

They were the two best defensive teams in the history of the NFL.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post

agreed...the defense will not (hopefully im wrong) be near the 2000 ravens level...but the offense will be better than mid - 20s

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TurkJetFan View Post
    agreed...the defense will not (hopefully im wrong) be near the 2000 ravens level...but the offense will be better than mid - 20s
    The Jets defense does not have to be near the Ravens 2000 level. All they have to do is remain top 5.

The key is the offense moving up to 10-14 range this year. If the offense still languishes in the mid-20's, the Jets are looking at another 8-8 season, if not worse.