Free NFL Sunday ticket - saves $299
    10 off per month on our Premier package for 1 year - saves $120
    Free HD - 10 for year - saves $120
    6 months of $5 off HBO (in Premier - saves $30
    6 months of $5 off MAX (in Premier) - saves $30
    6 months $10 off sports pack (in Premier) - saves $60
    New remote
    total savings $660 this year
    I did not have to commit to any long term deal.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bq3001 View Post
    I just called and recieved:

Free NFL Sunday ticket - saves $299
    10 off per month on our Premier package for 1 year - saves $120
    Free HD - 10 for year - saves $120
    6 months of $5 off HBO (in Premier - saves $30
    6 months of $5 off MAX (in Premier) - saves $30
    6 months $10 off sports pack (in Premier) - saves $60
    New remote
    total savings $660 this year
    I did not have to commit to any long term deal.

Bravo Sir

Didn't have as much luck as you today, but I did get Sunday Ticket Max for $100. Not as great as free last year, but I'm content.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I just called and got a free corvette.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just a warning: Call today!

Viacom (Comedy Central/MTV/Nick/etc.) and DirecTV are having a dispute so those channels are not available. They will almost certainly reach a deal soon as they just about always do settle quickly... especially considering how major these channels are.

They are in full deal-mode right now. Just stay persistent and make sure you talk to retentions (cancel service option in menu, see below). They have a whole lot of deals to give. I kept telling them that I don't really watch movie channels, so showtime and HBO didn't really mean that much to me, especially since I watch these channels that I'm missing a lot. I kept mentioning how I was a sports fan and felt like if they wouldn't give me Comedy Central, then they could at least give me Sunday Ticket instead as an acceptable replacement. I ended up getting the full Sunday Ticket Max for $147, which includes redzone and online; in addition to some statement credits. More info is available below.

http://slickdeals.net/f/4868082-DIRE...-package-YMMV?
    Last edited by rep; 07-11-2012 at 05:36 PM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I got ST Max lowered to $127.94 total without trying the cancellation stunt.

However, the new program dispute means even more bargaining power.

Maybe it's worth to try again.

Make sure to check your monthly statements - the phone reps sometimes "forget" to apply credits as promised even though they're supposedly modifying your account over the phone as you speak.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    All right guys, I have a question. I signed up for DirecTV last year and got Sunday Ticket for free as part of the promotion. It still says I'm subscribed but don't owe anything, as of yet. Do I need to cancel before I can try and call to get it for cheaper? I'm assuming I will have to pay at some point?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    sorry to crash this Sunday Ticket party, but I just got my Game Pass, the laptop version of sunday ticket for outside the US. been in europe for a couple years, so I get this. no haggling with direcTV though, so I get no discount, but it's only $130 (early bird rate). excellent package -- all regular season/preseason games (team radio if you want), Super Bowl archives of 20 games (yes, SBIII game is available), redzone channel, archive of all games from 2009-2011, coaches film, NFL network subscription, mobile use and some other good sht.

I just connect the laptop to TV with the HDMI cable, grab a brew and some grub and it's just like I am back in the US of A. Right now watching Sanchez's first game (vs. Houston).

Fired up!

pardon the interruption ... proceed with Ticket talk.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SDJETS View Post
    All right guys, I have a question. I signed up for DirecTV last year and got Sunday Ticket for free as part of the promotion. It still says I'm subscribed but don't owe anything, as of yet. Do I need to cancel before I can try and call to get it for cheaper? I'm assuming I will have to pay at some point?
    They most likely auto-renewed you at full price to do you a "favor". LOL

Call and find out what they did while you can make changes.

After the deadline you won't be able to change anything.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetrider View Post
    They most likely auto-renewed you at full price to do you a "favor". LOL

Call and find out what they did while you can make changes.

After the deadline you won't be able to change anything.
    Ahh, you're right! Of course, since I had to sign up for paperless bills and autobilling, I haven't even checked my bills and while they haven't charged me, I just noted a "auto renewal" notice. I better call and threaten to cancel and see what I can get. Thanks!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Called today and got it down to $150 with RZ. Didn't have much bargaining power as I'm still locked in for another year. I'm also terrible at the whole process, but the idea of trying to find the games on crappy internet feeds if even for another season was too much to handle, so I'm pretty happy with it. Thanks guys!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    They just gave me STMax for free!

I just wanted it for 150 bucks. But I started in with "you guys just lost Palladia and Comedy Central and the MTVs and VH1s and now you want how much for ST!??!?!!!"

By the time I was done they upgraded the two bedroom receivers to HD for free.

awesome. thanks guys.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

There's another solution that saves ST $

...which involves "moving" to a NYC area address. It works well. SAR discussed this last year. If anyone wants the details shoot me a PM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBlairThomasFumble View Post
    ...which involves "moving" to a NYC area address. It works well. SAR discussed this last year. If anyone wants the details shoot me a PM.

This is only a good option if you aren't a fan of your local baseball, hockey, and basketball teams.
    I'd have to pay for all the other sports.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Correct, but as a relocated East Coaster, it's perfect for me.

Quote Originally Posted by chops44 View Post
    This is only a good option if you aren't a fan of your local baseball, hockey, and basketball teams.
    I'd have to pay for all the other sports.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SDJETS View Post
    Called today and got it down to $150 with RZ. Didn't have much bargaining power as I'm still locked in for another year. I'm also terrible at the whole process, but the idea of trying to find the games on crappy internet feeds if even for another season was too much to handle, so I'm pretty happy with it. Thanks guys!
    $150 for Max is still a great deal plus the online feature is free.

If you're stuck at a relative's house on a weekend you can watch Jets on a puter.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetrider View Post
    $150 for Max is still a great deal plus the online feature is free.

If you're stuck at a relative's house on a weekend you can watch Jets on a puter.
    Bah! When the retentions guy offers you $150 and say you are really looking for cheaper, he'll tell you that he doesn't have that option. That is when you ask for a plain one-time statement credit!

NFL SUNDAY TICKET MAX 2012 - Charge $147.96 $18.12
    NFL SUNDAY TICKET MAX 2012 - Gen Reten CRG ($100.00) ($12.24)

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rep View Post
    Bah! When the retentions guy offers you $150 and say you are really looking for cheaper, he'll tell you that he doesn't have that option. That is when you ask for a plain one-time statement credit!

NFL SUNDAY TICKET MAX 2012 - Charge $147.96 $18.12
    NFL SUNDAY TICKET MAX 2012 - Gen Reten CRG ($100.00) ($12.24)

$150 was a swell deal for ST last year and that didn't include online capability which was a separate add-on ($14.99 x 2 payments), so $150 for both this year (STMax) is cheap.

I just got off the phone with Directv and tried your method.

What I got was $10 credit for 12 months off existing HD, plus $10 random credit for 6 months plus free Starz and Showtime for 6 months.

That's $160 credit that kicks in on the next bill.

I'm essentially getting STMax free plus extra perks.

It's the luck of the draw; depends on the rep you get. Phone reps are scattered throughout the US and have different training and experience.

I asked for a one-time $100 retention credit and this rep said he didn't have such a thing so he matched it (actually beat it) a different way.

Thanks! I'm officially burned out on calling Directv.

To anyone who wishes to try, say "cancellation" in the very first voice menu and you'll get a human immediately.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would like to personally thank Viacom for being such a douchebag of a company. Because they are holding DirecTV hostage (DIrecTV has pulled 26 stations, including MTV, VH1, Comedy Central, Nikelodean), DirecTV is willing to do almost anything to ease the pain and qwell the rage of its customers in an effort to retain them and keep them happy.

I called and asked to go directly to Retention. Told them I had 4 kids/teens/young adults in the house who live and breathe by MTV, VH1, Comedy Central, Nikoledeon and several others of the 26 stations that have been pulled by Viacom and are no longer offered by DirecTV (until such time as they reach an agreement with greedy Viacom). I have had their Premier (Cadillac - top-of-the-line) package for over 13 years and I asked them why they haven't offered me a significant price reduction considering a major component of the viewing in this household has been abruptly terminated. Right away the very pleasant Retention rep offered discouonts on all my other programming. But then I interjected that the thing I like most is my Sunday Ticket, particularly the mobile feature and Red Zone features and that now, it was going to be $149 w/out those features and $299 with those features. Told her last year I had the whole shebang for 6 payments of $25 and that included mobile, Red Zone, etc..

End result: Sunday Ticket Max (w/all features) for free this year, plus $270 of assorted other discounts over the next 6 months on the rest of my programming. Holy $hit... thanks Viacom... you suck but I love you.

p.s. it's only a matter of days until a settlement is reached and those stations are restored, so your window of opportunity to leverage this conflict between Viacom and DirecTV may be very short.

Go get your free Sunday Ticket + other discounts now. Hurry!
    Last edited by Dcat; 07-14-2012 at 07:32 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had a pretty good call with them today. They confirmed they are in the end-stages of the negotiations and expect a settlement any day now.

I've been a customer since 1995 (one of the first few in Manhattan) and I throw that around, usually to little avail, and I have the maximum package (all-in with 3 units, I pay just under $150/month).

I got DirecTicket for free this year with a 12-month commitment, which is not a big deal to me since I've been on board for 17 years and have no intention of switching. I also got about $60/month off my bill for 6 months and $30 off for a year (various programs they had available). So I save roughly $600 (incl. tax) plus the free football package.

Quick note: the first person you speak to will probably not be able to help much. Just say you understand they have limited options available and could you please speak with someone in retention or higher up the chain. I was immediately passed on and the second person got this all done with no fuss.

Second note: They have some offers on new equipment that commit you for two years. I avoid those since I want the leverage next year to do more. If you have an older receiver (HR20, the grey one) and you pay for the maintenance plan, you can get a replacement (refurb) shipped for free of one of the newer units (HR22 or HR24).

Hope it helps.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Background: Customer for a little over two years. Just renewed for an additional two years last month.

Connected straight to the cancellation department, complained about the Viacom situation and missing channels such as Comedy Central and MTV, and said the only reason I would consider staying would be NFL Sunday Ticket.

Result: NFL Sunday Ticket Max free this year and 3 months of Showtime and Starz.

Five minute phone call. They were very flexible and accommodating.