Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: DirecTV -Sunday Ticket

Veteran
    I got it for free. Ten year dtv customer with no commitment. Had to agree to a one year contract, but that runs out in august so I can just play hard ball next preseason.

Quote Originally Posted by chops44 View Post
    I got it for free. Ten year dtv customer with no commitment. Had to agree to a one year contract, but that runs out in august so I can just play hard ball next preseason.
    What did you say to them?

Every time I call them they tell me to GFM and they raise my bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Crable View Post

If you are in the middle of a commitment threatening to cancel has the opposite effect than what you intend, but you still should be able to work out a discount on the Sunday ticket portion itself.

If you are not in a commitment period, working with the retention department (by saying cancel right at the beginning) can lead to some large discounts, but depends on who you get. I usually do not push it very hard, and this year Sunday ticket was "free", meaning I still pay like $30 a month for it, but other discounts on other services add up to $30 so no net increase.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Crable View Post

The trick to getting it free is to not be under contract with them.
    After that, it's a game of chicken that you must be willing to go all the way to win.

I told them I was calling to cancel everything.
    The cpu voice put me in-contact with an operator faster than ever before.
    I didn't mention anything about the nfl package until they asked why I wanted out.

Said I already had internet and phone with the cable company and they were offering a deal to add tv too.

Then I told them the only reason I had directv was the NFL package (true), but paying 300 bucks for football was ridiculous.

They offered me all kinds of discounts, but I kept refusing, then they transfered me to another rep that then offered the whole package for free.

After dancing a jig, I calmly accepted their offer.
    The one kick, I had to be under a 1 year commitment to them.
    But that's really no big deal since it expires next August and then I'll just say the same exact thing to them.

Waterboy
    Same here, I was finished with my contract and called up saying I wanted the Ticket for free, just like on the commercials. They offered it to me for the full price at which time I asked to cancel my service. They quickly transferred me to another rep who said they could do it for $20 off per month. I said I had heard that people were given it for free and $20 wouldn't cut it and to proceed with canceling my service. She then put me on hold and came back and said she could take $23/month off my account by giving me free DVR service and $15 off my base package (totaling $276 for the year), and give me the base Ticket for free and upgrade me to the online and mobile service for $100 ($25/month for 4 months). All I had to do was renew service for a year.

Since I was $175 in the black, I had her add the NBA League Pass for $150 too ($25/month for 6 months)

I think I got a decent deal, but again it's all about being out of contract.