Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Greene - not very impressive (inherently) & his 2009 playoff meal ticket is expired

All Pro

Greene - not very impressive (inherently) & his 2009 playoff meal ticket is expired

I never been a fan of this guy from the get go (hated the draft pick), and his career with us has been highlighted by a few "run of mill" Lamont Jordan runs in the playoffs and a library of boring game tape in between

Shonn Greene - RB - Jets

NFL Films guru Greg Cosell believes Shonn Greene is a "little bit of a one-speed runner," and lacks the ability to create his own yards.
    "I think he can move the pile because he’s got natural strength. But I don’t think there’s much burst to him," Cosell said. "He’s not a guy who’s really going to make people miss. I think there’s no way you can be an elite back or a top-level back if you can’t make unblocked defenders miss. ... You must be able to make unblocked defenders miss. He’s not gonna do that." Greene expects to surpass last season's career-high 253 rushing attempts, but we share Cosell's doubts. He's Rotoworld's No. 26 running back.

I'd honestly be OK with cutting him. not sure if that's plausible from a cap stand point but i fail to see what Greene brings to the table any more. TERRIBLE hands, poor YAC, and no top speed. Powell as sucky as he is, can do the same. I'd rather have Tebow back there all day.

Give him McKnight, Ganaway the keys to the cadillac.

Somebody will have to say it sooner or later- how much of Shonn Greene would we have seen in '09 if Leon Washington hadn't gotten injured?

Quote Originally Posted by SizzleBear287 View Post
    Somebody will have to say it sooner or later- how much of Shonn Greene would we have seen in '09 if Leon Washington hadn't gotten injured?
    The Jets are always slow handing the keys. Instead, they like eeking out every single play out of every single players (even if their not long term Jets), and then trade / cut them. Greene is one of, if not the biggest problems the Jets have right now. For a ground and pound team, this organization is way behind the eight ball. It's quite disappointing.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    I never been a fan of this guy from the get go (hated the draft pick), and his career with us has been highlighted by a few "run of mill" Lamont Jordan runs in the playoffs and a library of boring game tape in between

I'd honestly be OK with cutting him. not sure if that's plausible from a cap stand point but i fail to see what Greene brings to the table any more. TERRIBLE hands, poor YAC, and no top speed. Powell as sucky as he is, can do the same. I'd rather have Tebow back there all day.

He is nothing special, but certainly more proven than any of the backs on our roster.

For his minuscule salary, cutting him makes no sense. Say goodbye next year.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by SizzleBear287 View Post
    Leon was injured in the Raider game and Greene had 19 carries for 144 yds and 2 tds..

Banned
    You get what you pay for. You want an explosive RB? 1st rounder.

Quote Originally Posted by NY2FLDWC85 View Post
    Maybe the best RB in football was a UDFA, Arian Foster.

I'm not a Greene fan, but cutting him would be insane. Hes on his last year of his contract, he is our only RB that has ran for 1,000 yards in a season before. He will fit in better with this offense of wearing defenses down.

Jets Insider VIP
    Shonn greene makes 900.000 a year. Its not like we are paying him a ton of money that we have to start him.

He is starting because he is the best back on our roster. If we had anyone better, they would play.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    He is nothing special, but certainly more proven than any of the backs on our roster.

Shonn Greene is the least of the Jets problems this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Shonn greene makes 900.000 a year. Its not like we are paying him a ton of money that we have to start him.

He is starting because he is the best back on our roster. If we had anyone better, they would play.
    +1

Gannaway has a chance to really blossom in the Jets system. RBs can usually play right away & this kid has a chance to become a Mike Tolbert type. The desciption below fits the Jets to a tee!

Strengths: Thickly-put-together throughout his frame and runs with power, showing the leg drive to push the pile. Runs balanced and close to the ground with the natural strength to stay on his feet through contact as defenders slip off of him ? load to tackle and easily runs through arm tackles. Has good vision to find the hole and get north/south. Gets good initial push and always seems to be falling forward for a positive gain. A hard runner with a workhorse-type back mentality. Does a nice job picking up the blitz and using his frame to impede rushers. Earned the starting running back job as a senior and made the most of his opportunity, leading the Big 12
    in rushing and finishing third in the NCAA with 21 rush scores ? finished the season with six 100+ yard and three 200+ yard performances. Has good bloodlines as the nephew of former NFL defensive lineman Jeremiah Trotter.

All Pro
    What round did the texans draft Arian Foster again.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    Ahh

You mean scouting and talent evaluation.

We are tops in the league in those categories.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    Actually for the most part you DO NOT want to take RBs in the 1st round.
    Look at the RBs from the last 8 Superbowls.
    Most teams use RB by committee now.
    Perfect example is Forte up in Chitown. Dude is really good BUT, they don't want to pay him.
    AP for Minny, yea, they've been killing it in the playoffs.

Barry Sanders? Best RB ever, crappy teams, no big wins.
    Star RBs were only good B4 free agency, when you didn't have to pay them big bucks.
    Texans will rue the day they gave Foster all that money.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Like Blair Thomas???

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Ahh

You mean scouting and talent evaluation.

We are tops in the league in those categories.
    Yea, Victor Cruz, playing at Tannys alma mater... oops missed him.
    Oh & Colston playing right in front of their noses at Hofstra.... oopsy, maybe we should have kept an eye on him after Chrebet did so well.

Keep turning over those rocks Tanny.

Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post

Gracias Jesus that you are not our GM!

Jets Insider VIP
    Foster is also a product of the system. Kubiak had guys churning out 1,000 yards seasons in denver too.

Foster on our team would not be near the same player.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    Actually for the most part you DO NOT want to take RBs in the 1st round.
    Look at the RBs from the last 8 Superbowls.
    Most teams use RB by committee now.
    Perfect example is Forte up in Chitown. Dude is really good BUT, they don't want to pay him.
    AP for Minny, yea, they've been killing it in the playoffs.

Barry Sanders? Best RB ever, crappy teams, no big wins.
    Star RBs were only good B4 free agency, when you didn't have to pay them big bucks.
    Texans will rue the day they gave Foster all that money.
    They were in the 60's, 70's and 80's also one of the best was the tandum of Csonka,Kiick and Mercury Morris.. We had Snell and Boozer and in the 80's Freeman and Hector..

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    They were in the 60's, 70's and 80's also one of the best was the tandum of Csonka,Kiick and Mercury Morris.. We had Snell and Boozer and in the 80's Freeman and Hector..
    Tu eres old!

Quote Originally Posted by k.Rhodes25 View Post
    Maybe the best RB in football was a UDFA, Arian Foster.

I'm not a Greene fan, but cutting him would be insane. Hes on his last year of his contract, he is our only RB that has ran for 1,000 yards in a season before. He will fit in better with this offense of wearing defenses down.
    he is 1 example but look at the other top RBs. Peterson was a 1st, McCoy a 2nd, jones drew a 2nd, rice a 2nd, matthews a 1st, johnson a 3rd, mcfadden a 1st and lynch a 1st

so while you can find servicable rbs in later rounds, most of the good ones are taken early