Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Greene - not very impressive (inherently) & his 2009 playoff meal ticket is expired

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    They were in the 60's, 70's and 80's also one of the best was the tandum of Csonka,Kiick and Mercury Morris.. We had Snell and Boozer and in the 80's Freeman and Hector..
    Loved Johnny Hector! Dude had a nose for the goaline & would get way low, bounce around like a top, spinning bouncing, he was an awesome guy off the bench. Also remember him doing great as a starter after an injury, might have been vs the pats.

Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Shonn Greene is the least of the Jets problems this year.
    Elaborate chingo!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Chihuahua View Post
    Elaborate chingo!
    If I have to elaborate, you are not much of a Jets fan.

Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    If I have to elaborate, you are not much of a Jets fan.
    I think deep in your corazon, you are one!

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Chihuahua View Post
    Elaborate chingo!
    I thought after nearly a month here, you'd know better than to ask him to elaborate

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    +1

Gannaway has a chance to really blossom in the Jets system. RBs can usually play right away & this kid has a chance to become a Mike Tolbert type. The desciption below fits the Jets to a tee!

Strengths: Thickly-put-together throughout his frame and runs with power, showing the leg drive to push the pile. Runs balanced and close to the ground with the natural strength to stay on his feet through contact as defenders slip off of him ? load to tackle and easily runs through arm tackles. Has good vision to find the hole and get north/south. Gets good initial push and always seems to be falling forward for a positive gain. A hard runner with a workhorse-type back mentality. Does a nice job picking up the blitz and using his frame to impede rushers. Earned the starting running back job as a senior and made the most of his opportunity, leading the Big 12
    in rushing and finishing third in the NCAA with 21 rush scores ? finished the season with six 100+ yard and three 200+ yard performances. Has good bloodlines as the nephew of former NFL defensive lineman Jeremiah Trotter.
    Ironically that write up sounds eerily similar to what I read of Greene coming out of college.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigFL View Post
    Ironically that write up sounds eerily similar to what I read of Greene coming out of college.
    We shall see what happens but if the Jets have a lead, Greene & Gannaway could be a pretty good 1-2 punch in the 2nd half of games.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Ahh

You mean scouting and talent evaluation.

We are tops in the league in those categories.
    That's only the 1st part of the equation.Once the scouts find the talent,the coaches have to give him the opportunity to reach his potential.

I offer into evidence a player by the name of Wayne Chrebet.I further offer into evidence a Player by the name of Victor cruz.

Chrebet got an opportunity because the Jets roster was starved of WR talent and depth.His outstanding practices could not be dismissed forcing the team to give him the opportunity.

Cruz was somewhat different.Dispite his practice display,the Giants were all but ready to part ways with him because the team had a wealth of receiving talent on the roster.As luck would have it,injury after injury allowed Cruz to get his opportunity and the rest is history.

How many players have not received this same opportunity.

All Pro
    Loved Johnny Hector! Dude had a nose for the goaline & would get way low, bounce around like a top, spinning bouncing, he was an awesome guy off the bench. Also remember him doing great as a starter after an injury, might have been vs the pats.
    Was that Hector or Johnny Johnson?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Foster is also a product of the system. Kubiak had guys churning out 1,000 yards seasons in denver too.

Foster on our team would not be near the same player.
    you wouldn't trade Greene for Foster?

Never want to cut a guy in his contract year if you don't have to, but hard to disagree with the premise here. It's been discussed elsewhere - Greene is not a disaster, but he's far from what you want in a #1.

Best case for the Jets this year is that either Powell or Ganaway emerges. I don't think any of the 4 top RBs on the roster are exceptional in any way, but all four (or the best 3 out of those 4) could bring something to the table, especially if they were able to stay fresh by rotating carries.

Don't expect it, but would love to see McKnight steal the starter spot by mid-season. Greene returns to his best role as the 4th-quarter killer.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Like Blair Thomas???
    No, I mean guys such as...

Reggie Bush: 1st round, 2nd overall.
    Darren McFadden: 1st round, 4th overall.
    Cedric Benson: 1st round, 4th overall.
    Adrian Peterson: 1st round, 7th overall.
    Marshawn Lynch: 1st round, 12th overall.
    Ryan Matthews: 1st round, 12th overall.
    Jonathan Stewart: 1st round, 13th overall.
    Rashard Mendenhall: 1st round, 23rd overall.
    Willis McGahee: 1st round, 23rd overall.
    Chris Johnson: 1st round, 24th overall.
    Steven Jackson: 1st round, 24th overall.
    Beanie Wells: 1st round, 31st overall.
    Matt Forte: 2nd round, 44th overall.
    LeSean McCoy: 2nd round, 53rd overall.
    Ray Rice:2nd round, 55th overall.
    Maurice Jones-Drew: 2nd round, 60th overall.

As you can see, exactly half of the NFL's starting RB's were drafted during either the 1st or 2nd rounds. 50% of teams feature either 1st or 2nd round draft picks as starting HB's.

So, if you're not willing to see our front office spend a 1st round draft pick on a running back, then you have no right complaining about the ability/talent/potential of Shonn Greene. Sometimes you get what you pay for, and in our case? We paid for a 3rd round talent in Shonn Greene who's coming off a 1,000 yard season to go along with an average of 4.2 yards per carry (as a first year starter/3rd year player).

The sky isn't falling...

Veteran
    We shall see what happens but if the Jets have a lead, Greene & Gannaway could be a pretty good 1-2 punch in the 2nd half of games.
    Agreed, and I don't think it has to be a lead. Tied, down by 3, it won't matter. Between those two and throw in Tebow for a couple rushes, and the back end of the opposing D will get pretty tired of tackling 240+ runners all day.

Quote Originally Posted by NY2FLDWC85 View Post

As you can see, exactly half of the NFL's starting RB's were drafted during either the 1st or 2nd rounds. 50% of teams feature either 1st or 2nd round draft picks as starting HB's.

So, if you're not willing to see our front office spend a 1st round draft pick on a running back, then you have no right complaining about the ability/talent/potential of Shonn Greene. Sometimes you get what you pay for, and in our case? We paid for a 3rd round talent in Shonn Greene who's coming off a 1,000 yard season to go along with an average of 4.2 yards per carry (as a first year starter/3rd year player).

The sky isn't falling...
    You get props for not posting the career stats of every one of those players. This is clearly a more restrained DWC.

And a good way to make the point. People always want to say "get an RB or a WR in later rounds," and then lament the lack of talent at the skill positions when guys like Greene and McKnight don't set the world on fire.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    You get props for not posting the career stats of every one of those players. This is clearly a more restrained DWC.

And a good way to make the point. People always want to say "get an RB or a WR in later rounds," and then lament the lack of talent at the skill positions when guys like Greene and McKnight don't set the world on fire.
    Also, after the Browns landed an instant starter in Trent Richardson, while the Bucs also went with Doug Martin during the 1st? Chances are, that'll make 18 out of 32 starting RB's drafted during the first round. If David Wilson replaces Bradshaw? 19 out of 32 RB's.

Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    I never been a fan of this guy from the get go (hated the draft pick), and his career with us has been highlighted by a few "run of mill" Lamont Jordan runs in the playoffs and a library of boring game tape in between

I'd honestly be OK with cutting him. not sure if that's plausible from a cap stand point but i fail to see what Greene brings to the table any more. TERRIBLE hands, poor YAC, and no top speed. Powell as sucky as he is, can do the same. I'd rather have Tebow back there all day.

Give him McKnight, Ganaway the keys to the cadillac.
    I agree he's replaceable but he can't but cut now (not necessarily for cap reasons)...

to me though there is no difference between him and cedric benson besides age

Quote Originally Posted by k.Rhodes25 View Post
    Maybe the best RB in football was a UDFA, Arian Foster.

I'm not a Greene fan, but cutting him would be insane. Hes on his last year of his contract, he is our only RB that has ran for 1,000 yards in a season before. He will fit in better with this offense of wearing defenses down.
    Exactly. This is just the typical knee jerk reaction. The guy is strong and cheap. the O will be built around Jets' strengths unlike last year

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by NY2FLDWC85 View Post

The sky isn't falling...
    Well to be fair, Greene was the first pick in the third round(pick 64), and the Jets did move up 12 spots to get him. I would think the Jets expected more from Greene. Its not like he was a 7th round pick that they thought would maybe make the 53 man roster.

If you can only find starters in the 1st round, your team is never going to go anywhere. You need to have success in the other rounds if you want to contend for a Super Bowl.

Jets Insider VIP
    only 15 running backs broke 1,000 yards last year. Couple that with the fact that we tipped off all of our running plays last year and I think hes a pretty good back.