Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Greene - not very impressive (inherently) & his 2009 playoff meal ticket is expired

was Laurence Maroney a 1st rounder?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Isn't DeAngelo Williams the starter in Carolina?
    Well, they mostly split the carries 50/50 although Stewart got the majority in 2010 due to Williams missing 10 games due to injury. Case in point, Williams is another 1st round draft pick (as are many other starting RB's)...

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    Yep the 21st pick in the 1st rd..

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    How many Super Bowls have those teams won in the last 10 years?
    Does it matter? How many of those RB's have even been in the league for "10 years"?

The answer would be zero, but then again, football is a team game and there's no denying the impact that an elite NFL running back makes for an entire offense. The RB position is right behind the QB and of course you need an offensive line, but there isn't an offensive position out there (outside of the QB position) that gets as much work load as the RB position. To act as if the RB position isn't extremely important shows a lack of knowledge to both the RB position as well as the game of football itself.

I answered your question, lets see if you'll answer mine. How many SB rings do these HOF backs combine for?

Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Yep the 21st pick in the 1st rd..
    colossal bust. epic

All Pro
    LEt it go, LET IT GO: The cold never bothered me anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by NY2FLDWC85 View Post
    Does it matter? How many of those RB's have even been in the league for "10 years"?

The answer would be zero, but then again, football is a team game and there's no denying the impact that an elite NFL running back makes for an entire offense. The RB position is right behind the QB and of course you need an offensive line, but there isn't an offensive position out there (outside of the QB position) that gets as much work load as the RB position. To act as if the RB position isn't extremely important shows a lack of knowledge to both the RB position as well as the game of football itself.

I answered your question, lets see if you'll answer mine. How many SB rings do these HOF backs combine for?
    +1

So why are the Jets committed to a ground n pound with Shonn Greene, and a bunch of maybe's?

Love the ground n pound. VERY skeptical if the jets have the talent to do it successfully.

Jets Insider VIP

LOL. My question was rhetorical.

The point is, you're talking about RB's from a bygone era where the passing game was secondary to the running game. That's not the case today.

But the problem is, Shonn Greene, you know, the subject of this thread, is not good enough to keep the defense honest, to respect our running game, in order to open up the field for the passing game.

statz, you really dont understand football at all,

Recent super bowl winner and their starting RBs:

Packers: James Starks, 6th round
    saints: pierre thomas, undrafted
    steelers: wille parker, undrafted
    Giants: Bradshaw, 7th round and Jacobs, 4th round
    Colts, Rhodes, undrafted
    Steeler, Parker, undrafted

if want to have a HOF running back, by all mean, draft one in the first round.

If you want to win a Super Bowl, you don't need to, As proven by the above.

BOOM! Let's talk football!

All Pro
    LEt it go, LET IT GO: The cold never bothered me anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    statz, you really dont understand football at all,

Recent super bowl winner and their starting RBs:

Packers: James Starks, 6th round
    saints: pierre thomas, undrafted
    steelers: wille parker, undrafted
    Giants: Bradshaw, 7th round and Jacobs, 4th round
    Colts, Rhodes, undrafted
    Steeler, Parker, undrafted

if want to have a HOF running back, by all mean, draft one in the first round.

If you want to win a Super Bowl, you don't need to, As proven by the above.

BOOM! Let's talk football!
    Gosh, its been like a decade since the Pats won a SB....why do people think they are so good, and did they have a good starting RB when they won their last SB way back then?

Quote Originally Posted by sdJETSetter View Post
    Gosh, its been like a decade since the Pats won a SB....why do people think they are so good, and did they have a good starting RB when they won their last SB way back then?

Please stay on topic.

Shonn Greene is the least of our worries.Barry Sanders would have struggled running behind the line we fielded last season with all the injuries.

Lets see what the guy can do with a healthy line this season before we throw him on the scrap heap please.Greene is a good back and pretty powerful too,which fits to a Tee what we are trying to accomplish this season with the ground and pound.I think after reading this thread that many on this board are going to be pleasantly surprised by Greene this year........

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sdJETSetter View Post

Exactly, it's sad how some of these Patriot fans quickly forgot how great Corey Dillon really was. A 2nd round draft pick too.

When NE won a SB back in 2004? Corey Dillon rushed for 345 rushing attempts, 1,635 rushing yards, 4.7 yards per carry, 81 rushes resulting in first downs to go along with another 12 rushing TD's.

What about Kevin Faulk, another 2nd round draft pick? One of the greatest 3rd down backs of all-time and contributed to NE's success over the years.

How quickly these Patriots *fans* have forgotten, which is truly sad...

All Pro
    Greene isn't the type of back who is going to create on his own... I don't think anybody here ever expected him to be that kind of player.

But he can be an asset late in games. He's not my favorite guy to have back there but he'll be OK this year. Certainly worthy of at least a dozen carries a game. We've seen that he works best in a time-share, and I'm sure that's exactly what we'll see this year.

I just wonder who will be the other guy he splits carries with.

Exactly, it's sad how some of these Patriot fans quickly forgot how great Corey Dillon really was. A 2nd round draft pick too.

When NE won a SB back in 2004? Corey Dillon rushed for 345 rushing attempts, 1,635 rushing yards, 4.7 yards per carry, 81 rushes resulting in first downs to go along with another 12 rushing TD's.

What about Kevin Faulk, another 2nd round draft pick? One of the greatest 3rd down backs of all-time and contributed to NE's success over the years.

How quickly these Patriots *fans* have forgotten, which is truly sad...
    Now, following that SB, any thoughts on the RBs for the winning teams?

Your such fraud, when faced with facts that show your ignorance you change the subject, you dont wan to talk football, you just want to vomit up stats.
    Last edited by FF2; 07-02-2012 at 09:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    Greene isn't awful, nor is he great. He's a middle-of-the-line back who needs the ball 20-30x a game to really get going and make things happen. You can't have him take the ball 12-15 times and expect big plays. He isn't that type of back. He's a bruiser who needs that ball preferably 25-30x a game to wear a defense down and hit them where it hurts late in the game. He'll be asked to fill that role in Sparano's offense this year. Will he stay healthy is the question.
    There's not 1 running back in the entire NFL that gets 25 carries per game anymore. I believe there is only one guy that gets 20 per game, MJD.

Fantasy football has made one major contribution to football: the discovery that running backs that carry the ball more than 360 times in a season take too much of a beating to remain productive players. Good running backs are having their careers extended by a couple of years by keeping their total number of carries for a season below 300. That's less than 19 carries per game.

A back that needs 25 carries per game doesn't have a place in the modern NFL.

Greene is far from perfect and I do agree with the last couple assessments that say he doesn't have the ability to make people miss or run well in the open field, thats pretty much a fact.

But the criticism is getting a bit out of hand here. No one thinks he is chris johnson, but the guy gained 1000 yards (yea i know its not an amazing feat, but it is a "standard") against defenses that did not have to cover more then 12 yards down the field.

Greene is also a good back for bad weather, who can get tough yards and Im interested to see him not have to face an 8 man box for once...

We can't have all pro players at every position, shonn greene will not be the difference between us making a SB or not.

Jets Insider VIP

Your such fraud, when faced with facts that show your ignorance you change the subject, you dont wan to talk football, you just want to vomit up stats.

FF2 gettin' all down with it.

I feel a petition coming.

Banned

Don't waste your time Koharski.

All Pro
    Please stay on topic.
    This thread had a topic? What was it again? DWC hates Jordy, or Jordy hates DWC?

All Pro
    Glad to see this topic inspired a (mostly) intelligent conversation.

In summary, to respond to some of the comments i'd say;

--I said i'd be OK with cutting him because i don't think he's all that much better than Powell & Ganaway. Cut Greene and open a roster spot for another player with some developmental potential. Greene has none - and offers no upside

--Though Arian Foster IS a premier back (don't care what anyone says about HOU's system) you can't bank on UDFAs. As someone pointed out, by and large, the talent does show up in the early rounds. the 2nd round is the sweet spot IMO

--With the addition of Ganaway & Tebow - Greene's skillset is obsolete. Honestly. Think about it.