Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Ranking Every Jet QB to Start a Game Since Namath

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think you mean Ray Lucas who works for in New York I think.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TechJet View Post
    No it's not Quincy Carter he's already on the list. That dude had some potential he came close to getting the QB job done even played in a couple games mopping up. Spent two seasons on the roster. then disappeared from the NFL scene.
    I can only recall the Jets having 4 black QBs on game day rosters post-Walton, and they would be Jeff Blake, Ray Lucas, Tory Woodbury, and Carter. The last 3 were on teams with Penny, so if you're not referring to Lucas or Carter, the only 1 left would be Woodbury. As far as I remember though, he was never a threat to start.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Down, Set, Haiku View Post
    I can only recall the Jets having 4 black QBs on game day rosters post-Walton, and they would be Jeff Blake, Ray Lucas, Tory Woodbury, and Carter. The last 3 were on teams with Penny, so if you're not referring to Lucas or Carter, the only 1 left would be Woodbury. As far as I remember though, he was never a threat to start.
    They also had a black QB in the mid 70's - J.J. Jones.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsFanatic View Post
    They also had a black QB in the mid 70's - J.J. Jones.
    Yeah I know, I believe Lou Holtz told him something back then about black QBs that would have sent Lou completely out of coaching had he uttered those words to any QB in the last 15 years. Anyhow, as I stated in my prior post, I was talking about the post-Walton Jets.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    I'd take Obrien over both of them today.
    Agreed, OBrien is #2 after Namath

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes! Tory Woodbury, thats who I was referring to. I wonder what happened to him after he left the Jets. Jeff Blake was never mentioned on that list also, matter of fact Blake played in more games that woodbury. Therefore that list is inconclusive. That list of Jet QB's are so wrong.The coaches had some good reviews about Tory, it was my impression he was in the running for the QB spot because noodle arm was too fragile for the rigors of NFL life.
    Last edited by TechJet; 07-08-2012 at 04:41 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohegangreen View Post
    Agreed, OBrien is #2 after Namath
    Yeah man! no doubt about that statement. no! wait! I disagree Richard Todd is my #2 QB.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah man! no doubt about that statement. no! wait! I disagree Richard Todd is my #2 QB.
    Nah, not to me, Todd never had a comp ptc that reached above 59% 124-161 tds-ints only over 20 tds once

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kenny O was over 60% comp ptc 3 times, 128-98 tds-ints and more than 20 td passes twice

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kenny O was over 60% comp ptc 3 times, 128-98 tds-ints and more than 20 td passes twice
    O'Brien was greatly overrated. He had tremendous talent around him in '85 & '86 and never won a post season game. (Ryan beat the Chiefs in the '86 playoffs) Had Ryan not gotten hurt against the Browns we would have beat them too, rather then lose that incredible heartbreaker.

O'Brien had a great arm but was a statue with no football instincts. He would throw the ball way on 4th down rather then run for a 1st down. He had no rushing TDs his whole career.
    Last edited by JetsFanatic; 07-08-2012 at 07:06 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can't remember Woodbury ever being higher than third on the depth chart. Quincy Carter was Chad's only real competition through 2007.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes! Tory Woodbury, thats who I was referring to. I wonder what happened to him after he left the Jets. Jeff Blake was never mentioned on that list also, matter of fact Blake played in more games that woodbury. Therefore that list is inconclusive. That list of Jet QB's are so wrong.The coaches had some good reviews about Tory, it was my impression he was in the running for the QB spot because noodle arm was too fragile for the rigors of NFL life.
    I believe you had to start at least one game to qualify for that list. Blake never started a game for the Jets.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    O'Brien was greatly overrated. He had tremendous talent around him in '85 & '86 and never won a post season game. (Ryan beat the Chiefs in the '86 playoffs) Had Ryan not gotten hurt against the Browns we would have beat them too, rather then lose that incredible heartbreaker.

O'Brien had a great arm but was a statue with no football instincts. He would throw the ball way on 4th down rather then run for a 1st down. He had no rushing TDs his whole career.
    I never over rated him, I agree with alot of what you're saying, (although I think he did QB our playoff win over Miami in '91 and it wasn't his fault we lost to Cleveland in '86 playoffs) the point is I think he was the best Jet QB we had after Namath. (its slim pickins.) In some ways, I think Vinny, but he was only here for three full seasons, Todd and OBrien are debatable, Sanchez had 3 decent seasons and all those playoff wins...In my mind maybe a good year this year and he is it, but I can't say that yet, who the hell knows, no matter how you look at it its an embarrassingly bad list

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Combine Vinny's arm strength with Chad's accuracy, leadership and football IQ; what a player that would be! ...
    that being said, Chad is easily #1

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gcherd View Post
    Combine Vinny's arm strength with Chad's accuracy, leadership and football IQ; what a player that would be! ...
    Amen...And throw in Sanchez's toughness, that would be the ultimate Jet QB

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I never over rated him, I agree with alot of what you're saying, (although I think he did QB our playoff win over Miami in '91 and it wasn't his fault we lost to Cleveland in '86 playoffs) the point is I think he was the best Jet QB we had after Namath. (its slim pickins.) In some ways, I think Vinny, but he was only here for three full seasons, Todd and OBrien are debatable, Sanchez had 3 decent seasons and all those playoff wins...In my mind maybe a good year this year and he is it, but I can't say that yet, who the hell knows, no matter how you look at it its an embarrassingly bad list
    The Miami win qualified us for the playoffs, but it was a regular season win. You are correct, considering it's been 36 seasons since Namath last started a game for the Jets, it is slim pickings.

The reason I rank Sanchez high is 4 road playoff wins cannot be ignored. We will see how he does this season.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gcherd View Post
    You might be right about Chad being #1, maybe I'm selling him short, who the hell knows, I guess Being sick of the dink and dunk is a little fresher in my mind than all of Todd's and Obrien's choke job teams

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    You might be right about Chad being #1, maybe I'm selling him short, who the hell knows, I guess Being sick of the dink and dunk is a little fresher in my mind than all of Todd's and Obrien's choke job teams
    For his career Chad averaged 10.9 yards per completion; to compare Brady is at 11.8

Namath came in at 14.7

Of course only 2 of the 3 QB's won rings!

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...P/PennCh01.htm

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...B/BradTo00.htm

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...N/NamaJo00.htm

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Miami win qualified us for the playoffs, but it was a regular season win. You are correct, considering it's been 36 seasons since Namath last started a game for the Jets, it is slim pickings.

The reason I rank Sanchez high is 4 road playoff wins cannot be ignored. We will see how he does this season.
    Oh yea, Mia wasn't a playoff game, my bad(felt like one after the end of Walton, I guess) but agree with you, It is hard to argue w Mark and 4 road playoff wins (maybe he is #1.) You would think we would have found at least one great QB during all those years, explains alot of our misery. Hopefully Sanchez continues his growth and is eventually head and shoulders above this miserable list. Its amazing to me how many knucklehead Jet fans have given up on him