Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Former Jets scout Connie Carberg delivers insight on WR Stephen Hill

Former Jets scout Connie Carberg delivers insight on WR Stephen Hill

Connie Carberg was once a scout for the New York Jets, and was the first female scout in the NFL. She knows the Jets, and knows her way through tape, so her opinion is a valid one when it comes to the 2012 draft class of the Jets.

One of the most intriguing picks in that draft was Georgia Tech wide receiver Stephen Hill, and when asked about Hill via email exchange, Carberg said, "[The Jets] needed a field-stretching threat like Stephen Hill and I LOVED the selection. Even though only caught 28 passes Sr. Year playing on option Ga. tech offense." Emphasis hers.

Hill is the receiver the Jets were hoping to get when they signed Plaxico Burress last year, but is even an upgrade.
    If we look back a year ago at the pickup of Plaxico, some could argue that while he provided little to no substantial value between the 20’s, his effect in the Red Zone alone was worth it. Stephen Hill has the definite opportunity to be a red zone threat AND to work the entire field.
    Hill is a prototypical height-weight-speed receiver, at 6'4" and 215 pounds with arms just shy of 33.5" long arms and running a 4.3-second 40-yard dash at the NFL Scouting Combine. The Jets lacked that kind of presence on their roster before, during and after Plaxico Burress' stay in New York. They're hoping Hill fixes that.

Connie is cautiously optimistic, though, that Hill's skills can translate to the NFL, and adds, "He’ll need to improve on route running to create separation, but his deep speed is exactly what the Jets need opposite Santonio. He will command attention from defenses, which Plax never did last year."

He can do more than just command attention from opposing safeties, though, and Georgia Tech coach Paul Johnson explained why to D. Orlando Ledbetter of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
    [Georgia Tech wide receivers] get a little bit of everything. Certainly, they have to block, and they are running routes and reading coverages. That's what we've told those guys all along. A lot of people want to be negative and say it hurts them and they don't get developed. But the feedback that I've gotten is that they [are ready for the NFL]. The offense kind of turns them into a complete player, and they can see all of that on tape.
    Even if he's not a "complete player" just yet, his contributions to the offense can be substantial if he provides a consistent deep threat and red zone target. But Connie thinks Hill's contributions can reach far beyond the offense, and into the locker room.

"Lastly, this kid is a goldmine when it comes to ethics and honor," she writes. "He’s unselfish with a great attitude and knows how to block. Losing Braylon really hurt [the Jets] blocking schemes on the outside, and 'ground and pound' needs WR’s that can block."

Hill's progression to a true NFL offense and his production with quarterback Mark Sanchez throwing the ball will be two central topics to focus on this season, but his long-term growth will be something we'll watch with interest for years to come. If scouts are right, it's only a matter of time before that growth manifests on the field.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...r-stephen-hill

Banned
    Good read although its the exact same thing I've been saying about Stephen Hill (outside of the off the field comments). This kid can become something special, during his rookie year too.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by NY2FLDWC85 View Post
    Good read although its the exact same thing I've been saying about Stephen Hill (outside of the off the field comments). This kid can become something special, during his rookie year too.
    I know. Why do we need these silly articles when we have you?

The only difference is, they say the same thing in a lot fewer words and only need to say it once.

Hill has a ton of potential.

I hope he can step in year 1 and be productive as a #2.

Bewildered Beast
    Finally, an NFL Talent Evaluator R that agrees with DWC.

/thread

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    I know. Why do we need these silly articles when we have you?

The only difference is, they say the same thing in a lot fewer words and only need to say it once.
    Haven't been on the Pfail Strip lately, but wow, who let the self-important windbag back in?

_

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    I hope he can step in year 1 and be productive as a #2.
    Would you take:

Year 1: 38 receptions, 560 yards, 3 TD's

Year 2: 70 receptions, 990 yards, 7 TD's

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Would you take:

Hell yes. Could you imagine his 3rd season as more of a polished outside receiver?

I think he'll put up more than 3 TD's his rookie season though, due to his overall size and leaping/jumping ability. About the same size as Plaxico with much better jumping ability (when compred to Plax coming out of college). Has all the making for a monster red zone target.
    Last edited by NY2FLDWC85; 07-03-2012 at 01:07 PM.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Would you take:

I'd take that, for sure. Approaching 40 receptions at almost 15 ypc is not bad at all for a rookie WR who is considered a bit raw by some. Presumably those numbers would be complementry to what Holmes and Keller, and, to a lesser extent, Kerley do.

I'd sign up for Year 2 as well, in a heart beat. You would expect to see Year 3 be an improvement as well with a guy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    Haven't been on the Pfail Strip lately, but wow, who let the self-important windbag back in?

_
    That description covers a lot of posters.

Veteran
    Would you take:

At the risk of being baited, I would say yes, as long as tone and/or keller break 1000yds because hill opens up the underneath routes. I'm hoping for more TDs due to his redzone potential.

Banned
    Hell yes. Could you imagine his 3rd season as more of a polished outside receiver?
    And that's the point I would make as well.

If Hill can get on the field and deliver those numbers Year 1, follow up Year 2 with that kind of production improvement, he would be very wel lpositioned for a break out Year 3.

If that happens, Jets FO would automatically give him a contract extension thus, locking up a probable top 10 NFL WR for the foreseeable future.

But then again, Chad Jackson says hi as well (just keeping things in perspective).

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    I'd take that, for sure. Approaching 40 receptions at almost 15 ypc is not bad at all for a rookie WR who is considered a bit raw by some.
    Whatever the number of receptions, I think Hill will have a YPC in the vicinity of 15 per catch.

He will not be catching the quick slants and 3-yard outs. His receptions will be downfield.

Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post

_

are you saying teh modz suckô?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

He will not be catching the 3-yard outs.
    Hopefully we will not be throwing them.

Hill will benefit just in the fact that the Jets will force teams to play a safety in the box. That alone will give him one on one advantages that not all rookies have.
    He's such a good run blocker that he will be on the field a lot in this offense.
    People tend to forget that Santonio Holmes won the Superbowl for the Steelers for god sakes.
    In 2010 Holmes won at least 3 games or more for the Jets in the 4th quarter.
    Plaxico was so bad in between the 20s that even when he caught the ball he just went down because he got no separation therefore no yac.
    Defenses can't stop everything when you introduce speed to the equation. Look what Moss did for the Pats underneath game just by his presence alone.
    The only reason the Pats sacked Moss is that the Jets have Revis & he could take him out by himself. That's why BB is the genius he is.
    Noone else in the AFC East has a Revis so Hill has a chance to be a star early in his career.
    Like in basketball, you can't teach height & at 6-4 with 4.3 speed the Jets will have many opportunities to run to his side just from having him pull a safety over to help the CB.
    Another slight change in the Jets 2012 offense that will have a huge impact on other parts of their game this season.

Banned

If that happens, Jets FO would automatically give him a contract extension thus, locking up a probable top 10 NFL WR for the foreseeable future.
    Do you believe this kid has what it takes top develop into a top 10 WR? I'm not sure, all I know is I haven't been this high on a Jets rookie WR since Keyshawn, Coles and Santana Moss. It's been a long time coming since a Jets WR has gave me this much hope.

Would you take:

I would gladly take that.

My only tweak would be I would hope for another yard in his YPC. I think the bar for a great deep threat would be over 15 YPC.

Other rookie speedsters from last year like Denarius Moore, Julio Jones, and Torrey Smith all hovered in the 17-18 YPC range. But hey, I would not complain if Stephen Hill has any more than 35 catches this year, and that year two projection would be incredible.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Would you take:

Absolutely

Although I do expect a couple more TD's in his rookie year.

5 or 6

Banned
    Do you believe this kid has what it takes top develop into a top 10 WR? I'm not sure.
    No one knows for sure at this point in time.

Let's see what the kid has between his ears and how he transitions to the NFL game.

Hell, Ochocinco couldn't comprehend a NFL playbook after 12 years in the league.

...he'll stretch the field which will help our running game...he'll make the safety come over and play on top more often which will help our running game...he'll block which will help our running game...