Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 44 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Sal P calls out the Jets drafting over the last 5 years.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    That wasn't the point of his mentioning of the Jets, that is what I was responding to.

The point of the article was that the Jets hasn't drafted enough young players, or that the roster has been built with a higher dependency on FA and not draft picks. He doesn't mention anything about proven players.

And really, who are you to talk about "proven players," you pimp every Raider as the second coming, with unrealistic expectations of potential and success for the team because of those unproven players...
    Lets look at Jets recent drafts. 2007 D Revis, D J Harris, Jacob Bender, and Chansi stuckey.

2008 V Gholston, D Keller, D Lowery , Erik Ainge, Marcus Henry , and Nate Garner

2009 Mark Sanchez, Shonn Greene and Matt Slauson

2010 Kyle wilson, Vlad ducasse, Joe Mcknight and John Connor

2011 M Wilkerson, K ellis , J Kerley, Greg MCelroy and Scotty Mcknight.

Now compare that to other teams have drafted with alot more picks. (more depth and not as apparent when you miss on a pick.

You can't keep having less picks than everyone else. GReat teams are built through the draft. Jets went for it all(sacrificing their future in the process) Time to hold on those draft picks like they are Gold.

Ray as you saw what a Great draft can do. See Dbrick and Mangold. That was the foundation for the jets becoming a very good team. Now tell me Ray with so few picks and other teams finding better talent for the last couple of years, that eventually catches up to you.
    Last edited by Raider9175; 07-04-2012 at 07:29 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Ray Ray19;4507231]My favorite topic to debate...

Yet another journalist that reaps success off of lazy journalism

1. Jets are aging - Jets have one of the younger rosters in the NFL, the core of the team is young, all under 28. The argument about the Jets not drafting enough young players is an extremely lazy statement. First, the Jets have traded draft picks for players like Jenkins, Cromartie, Holmes, Edwards, and moving up in the draft for players like Revis, Sanchez, Greene, and Keller. You can now add Tebow to the list. If not for Jenkins' health, and then Edwards DUI and subsequent health, all of these players were quality pick-ups or draft picks that helped create the core of the team or equip the roster with top talent.

Ray, the point you make with the jets trading picks for talent in their last year of a contract is the same point Sal made. The jets gave up picks to get FA one year early that they signed to big money, Edwards was 2 years.
    I forget if Jenkins was one or two years.

Your using draft picks to rent players or to sign them for big money. And what draft picks you have left you combine them to move up. This leaves you now with 3/5ths of your oline in their last year and 4/5ths of your lb position. And you still have not done anything with the safeties long term, with just over 20 mill of cap space next year.

Not insurmountable by any means, but definitely an large obstacle to overcome going forward.

Sar is correct in saying that the jets spent a lot of future capital to turn the team around.

I'll never understand this core player concept, 30 players on each team all play roles that if they don't play well the team looses. Because 5 probowl level guys play well every week means squat.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Raider9175 View Post
    Lets look at Jets recent drafts. 2007 D Revis, D J Harris, Jacob Bender, and Chansi stuckey.

2008 V Gholston, D Keller, D Lowery , Erik Ainge, Marcus Henry , and Nate Garner

2009 Mark Sanchez, Shonn Greene and Matt Slauson

2010 Kyle wilson, Vlad ducasse, Joe Mcknight and John Connor

2011 M Wilkerson, K ellis , J Kerley, Greg MCelroy and Scotty Mcknight.

Now compare that to other teams have drafted with alot more picks. (more depth and not as apparent when you miss on a pick.

You can't keep having less picks than everyone else. GReat teams are built through the draft. Jets went for it all(sacrificing their future in the process) Time to hold on those draft picks like they are Gold.

Ray as you saw what a Great draft can do. See Dbrick and Mangold. That was the foundation for the jets becoming a very good team. Now tell me Ray with so few picks and other teams finding better talent for the last couple of years, that eventually catches up to you.
    TRUE Kool aid fans don't see this. steelers, Giants, even PATS all build through the draft, strong committed management.

young minded fans , with success right in front of them with other teams, still want a 3 minute egg in less than 60 seconds.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Thats what happens when you have among the least number of picks in the league over a span.

Exactly, you don't continue to trade away draft picks for old, unproductive FA's like the Jets have been doing.

Other than Revis, Mangold, DBrick and Harris, the Jets drafts have been horrific over the last decade, including 3 top 10 busts in Dfat, Gholston and Sanchez.

Can't wait to see how RamRod spins this one.

The article is dead on.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY2FLDWC85 View Post
    I enjoyed the ways how Sal Paolantonio talked up Brandon Weeden as if he's the next coming of Joe Montana, but completely failed to mention the fact that Brandon Weeden is 28 years old. Sanchez is only 25 years of age with 3 years of NFL starting experience. There is a big difference in regards to NFL game speed when compared to college game speed. Which is another aspect of quarterbacking that Sal failed to mention.

When these college kids are on the verge of coming into the league (Andrew Luck included), they've had the luxury of standing in the pocket while throwing the football to kids open by 15-20 yards. Now, do they have the same courage to stand tall in the pocket when an NFL freak rushing right through the offensive line, getting hit while throwing the football along with the ability to connect with a receiver who's only open, by lets say... 1 yard?

The quarterback is the hardest position to judge (get a feel for) in regards to evaluating a college quarterbacks potential. You really have no idea what you have, until you've seen them take the field during an actual NFL game. But yet, Paolantonio addressed Brandon Weeden's future transition into the league as if it were 'nothing'. Can this kid do it when the game speed is much faster? When they're getting hit by NFL pro's who are much stronger and/or larger in size? Can a 28 year old rookie, such as Weeden, do it while defenses that he's trying to read are more complex? Only time will tell.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Weeden fall flat on his face. He has no time to develop as an NFL quarterback, none what so ever. He'll be thrown into the fire from day one, and if he needs any time to develop as an NFL quarterback? His NFL career will be over before it even started. You never know what you have in a rookie quarterback, until you see him take the field during an actual NFL game. Which is why I'm a fan of Sanchez, due to the fact that I've seen this kid perform lights out when it matters the most; during the postseason. Witnessed our developing franchise quarterback perform like a playoff road warrior.

Sal just put out an awful interview, especially in regards to the Jets.

Sanchez: Starting QB.
    Greene: Starting RB.
    McKnight: Backup RB.
    Conner: Starting FB.
    S.Hill: Starting #2 WR.
    Kerley: Starting slot WR.
    Keller: Starting TE.
    Ferguson: Starting LT.
    Slauson: Starting LG.
    Mangold: Starting Center.
    Moore: Starting RG.

The only starters we have on offense, that weren't drafted by the Jets, are both Santonio Holmes and (as of right now) Wayne Hunter. Moore wasn't drafted by us, but he did debut with us. Sal Paolantonio want's to talk about the Browns being so young in regards to their entire offensive line being under the age of 30? Well, our two oldest offensive players are Hunter (31) and Brandon Moore (32). Ferguson, Mangold and Holmes are only 28 years of age. Most of the rest are much younger. No mention in regards to the Jets as A.) Pretty much drafting our entire offense and B.) Nothing but young talent and/or potential throughout our entire offense.

Revis: Starting #1 CB.
    Wilson: Starting Nickel Back.
    Harris: Starting #1 IMLB.
    Thomas: Been one of our starting OLB's.
    Pouha: Starting NT.
    Wilkerson: Starting DE.
    Coples: Starting DE.
    Smith: Backup Safety.
    Ellis: Backup NT.
    DeVito: Backup D-Lineman.
    Davis: Backup IMLB.

Etc, etc.

We've pretty much built our entire team/foundation around our own draft picks, but yet, he's trying to call us out as a team that's "not drafting well"; all because we've added solid FA's such as Yeremiah Bell, LaRon Landry, Aaron Maybin, Pace and Bart Scott over the years? Guys such as Holmes, Cromartie and Tebow all came through trade. So, which free agents have we "built our team" through?

This is how he started his awful interview.

"Here's the problem with the Jets. I did a little breakdown on the Jets when you look at them. I like to look at drafts over a 5 year period. This is an amazing number, in 5 years the Jets have drafted just 23 players. They've given a lot of draft picks away, they haven't had a lot of draft picks. They've had only one pro bowlers they've drafted in 5 years and only 5 starters. (Then goes on to compare us to the Eagles). Because they've drafted 50 players with 14 starters, and the Jets have only had 5, so that means the Jets have had to rely a lot on free agency".

Maybe he hasn't looked at our entire roster, because if he did? He would've seen how we've built our entire team through the draft, not "free agency". What a media tool.
    Moore was drafted by us. He was a Defensive end but he was definitely drafted by us. I don't know why anyone listens to Sal Pal. He's not an analyst, just ESPNs Jets sideline reporter. The ugliest in the league btw. I don't know why the Jets got stuck with this girl.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Exactly, you don't continue to trade away draft picks for old, unproductive FA's like the Jets have been doing.

Other than Revis, Mangold, DBrick and Harris, the Jets drafts have been horrific over the last decade, including 3 top 10 busts in Dfat, Gholston and Sanchez.

Can't wait to see how RamRod spins this one.

The article is dead on.
    Yeah all we have to do is stockpile picks that we can cut in training camp...oh yeah and draft a hof QB in round six and we're all set.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mardukis View Post
    TRUE Kool aid fans don't see this. steelers, Giants, even PATS all build through the draft, strong committed management.

young minded fans , with success right in front of them with other teams, still want a 3 minute egg in less than 60 seconds.
    That sums up the Jets drafting strategy perfectly.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    Yeah all we have to do is stockpile picks that we can cut in training camp...oh yeah and draft a hof QB in round six and we're all set.
    Gronkowski, Hernandez, Mankins, Chung, Mayo and Solder all say hi.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The other 217 all say

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    6 guys, and we only have 5. I see your point.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sal Schmukantonio has hated the Jets since that draft day when Parcells had his sorry a$$ forcibly removed from Hofstra where he was supposed to be filing reports

He and Dick Semeni are now a terrific ESPNewEngland combo for piling on Jet hate to satisfy that similar alliance of hate at JI made up of chowd trolls and their bosum buddies.....SOJFs from Maine to NH to Tarnby

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    If you luck out at drafting that franchise Qb , you can get away with missing on a lot of picks in the draft. Your still going to be an elite team as long as that Qb able to play at that level.
    Just imagine how good the patriots could have been if they drafted better with all those picks they have accumulated over the years.(with Brady at top of his game)

I was talking more about teams that have drafted well over the last couple of years.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Absolutely. Because it never was about the draft to begin with.

Woody Johnson couldn't attempt to sell $300 million dollars in PSL's with an unlikeable head coach, an injured quarterback, and a dynasty in his own division so he hired a flamboyant showman and ordered his GM to recruit flashy free agents to create a crescendo of media buzz. And it worked.

Palantonio is right but he misses the point. The 2012-2015 seasons were deliberately sacrificed back in 2008-2011 when we mortgaged the draft for free agency. The Jets strategy was never to win; it was to sell out a new stadium. Ryan, Favre, Tomlinson, Taylor, Holmes, Burress, and Edwards weren't supposed to win or get deep in the playoffs. That was a happy accident, the fortunate residue of a strategy to sell 82,500 seats in a bad economy to a frustrated and bored fanbase. Can't blame the last 5 drafts for where we are today as it simply wasn't the strategy in 2008.

SAR I
    unfortunately i agree. i think tanny has evolved as a gm in a relatively short time, though. his 2012 draft is hopefully what he does going forward, drafting based on his board, not squandering picks, and trying to develop qbs. and hopefully he doesn't keep bringing in guys like holmes.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you luck out at drafting that franchise Qb , you can get away with missing on a lot of picks in the draft. Your still going to be an elite team as long as that Qb able to play at that level.
    Just imagine how good the patriots could have been if they drafted better with all those picks they have accumulated over the years.(with Brady at top of his game)

I was talking more about teams that have drafted well over the last couple of years.
    Do you think the pats have drafted that bad over the last 3 years? I don't

Solder and Volmer at bookend tackles
    Gronk and Hernadez at TE
    Chung at Safety
    Mayo and Spikes at LB

Mallet, Vereen and Ridley and Cannon have not been able to upseat the starters but they have decent potential. Dowling got hurt last year, but in the two games he played, I thought he did well.

On division winning teams to get 3 starters a year by draft choices I think is good.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite View Post
    The other 217 all say
    The purpose of the draft is to build a winning football team.

Pats recent drafts have provided a AFCE title, AFC Championship and a Super Bowl appearance.

The Jets drafts have provided a mediocre 8-8 football team and no playoffs.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    Sal Schmukantonio has hated the Jets since that draft day when Parcells had his sorry a$$ forcibly removed from Hofstra where he was supposed to be filing reports

He and Dick Semeni are now a terrific ESPNewEngland combo for piling on Jet hate to satisfy that similar alliance of hate at JI made up of chowd trolls and their bosum buddies.....SOJFs from Maine to NH to Tarnby
    Surprising, another SpunkGoo3 post bashing a writer who tells the truth about the state of the Jets.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post

Gronk and Hernadez at TE
    Chung at Safety
    Mayo and Spikes at LB

Mallet, Vereen and Ridley and Cannon have not been able to upseat the starters but they have decent potential. Dowling got hurt last year, but in the two games he played, I thought he did well.

On division winning teams to get 3 starters a year by draft choices I think is good.

This is just as much of a homer post as any that you guys accuse Jets fans of posting on this message board. Really, Solder? Did you watch Chung the last couple of years? He's a poor man's Landry. After Mayo's rookie season, he's never been the same.

You could easily substitute Mangold, Brick, Harris, Revis, (who are all way better than anyone up on that list in their respective positions minus Gronk), and post the same thing for the Jets.

The difference is that you struck gold with your QB.

No Brady = no Superbowls. And that's just players, because we all know BB is the major cog in the machine that is the Patriots.

You talk about the guys who haven't been able to "upseat" their starter. I feel bad for any RB on the Patriots who can't win the starting job.

BRADY. end thread.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The purpose of the draft is to build a winning football team.

Pats recent drafts have provided a AFCE title, AFC Championship and a Super Bowl appearance.

The Jets drafts have provided a mediocre 8-8 football team and no playoffs.
    That's like saying last year's draft had anything to do with those accomplishments.

So by your logic, the 2012 draft determines who plays well in 2012.

Pats are screwed. Who's going to play QB?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post

Gronk and Hernadez at TE
    Chung at Safety
    Mayo and Spikes at LB

With all the picks you had and missed on you can't say the patriots have had very good drafts. Lucky for every team in the NFL Bellichick the Gm is no where near as good as the head coach.

Patriots are still winning because Tom Brady still there qb and playing at a high level.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    With all the picks you had and missed on you can't say the patriots have had very good drafts. Lucky for every team in the NFL Bellichick the Gm is no where near as good as the head coach.

Patriots are still winning because Tom Brady still there qb and playing at a high level.
    Is Raids the only other one that gets it?