Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 34 of 44 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: Sal P calls out the Jets drafting over the last 5 years.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    You are friggn' cluless.

QB's that are old and near retirement do not throw 40 TD's and over 5,000 yards and lead their team to the Super Bowl.
    DDNY absolutely nailed it in his post above:

"That is b.c they did not throw a lot downfield. He probably didn't get enough reps or chemistry with those guys. They focused on the TEs and slot guys.

In no way is it b.c he is physically unable to do so anymore. But some people here will make that argument."

You are the "some people" that he is referring to.
    Technically true, but QBs that are old and near retirement have come close.

In 2008, Kurt Warner threw for 30 TDs and 4,500 yards, and led his team to the Super Bowl. He was old and retired after one more season.

In 2009, Brett Favre threw for 33 TDs and 4,200 yards, and nearly led his team to the Super Bowl. He was old and retired after one more (crappy) season.

To be clear, I think Brady will continue to be one of the top 3 QBs this year. But his decline is coming sometime soon, the one thing us Jets fans have to look forward to.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    You are friggn' cluless.

QB's that are old and near retirement do not throw 40 TD's and over 5,000 yards and lead their team to the Super Bowl.

DDNY absolutely nailed it in his post above:

"That is b.c they did not throw a lot downfield. He probably didn't get enough reps or chemistry with those guys. They focused on the TEs and slot guys.

In no way is it b.c he is physically unable to do so anymore. But some people here will make that argument."

You are the "some people" that he is referring to.
    LOL.

If he is going to make this a "technicality argument" then I will admit that technically Brady's fastball isn't what it was 5 years ago. But IMO the loss is negligible and not even worth discussing how it would effect his performance b.c it does not.

He can still make every single throw he wants. He can fit a ball wherever he wants. Brady's last two season are among the best in his career. As a QB Brady is better now than he was when they were winning SBs.

Everyone wants to cite the INT he threw to Blackburn in the SB and say he has lost arm strength. That was about a 70 yd throw (diagonal) with a man in his face about to hit him ALL after being chased out of the pocket.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 07-09-2012 at 05:19 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    Right, that is kind of my point.

They value CB's a great deal, and wouldn't hesitate in having Revis, Cro and Wilson.

Some say Wilson was drafted to take Cro's spot. I say thats crazy.
    LOL. Why is that crazy? He was arguably the top ranked CB in that draft.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    LOL. Why is that crazy? He was arguably the top ranked CB in that draft.
    I see you never heard of college studs such as Joe Haden, Kareem Jackson and Devin McCourty. Especially Joe Haden coming out. So, no, you're wrong once again. The top rated CB doesn't become the 4th CB drafted 29th overall. No one is a million years would have ever ranked Wilson as "the top rated CB" coming out.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    18-1*

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexipus Rex View Post
    And Dunta Robinson is making over $6MM for the Falcons this year to be their nickel
    Dunta Robinson is listed on their depth chart as a starter. He was also listed as a starter in 2011.

SO I don't know where you're getting this from.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/depth/_/...on/4-3-defense

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/depth-chart/

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    1. Rex is very unique in how he uses his DBs. Especially as blitzers. We saw a lot of this early in his tenure. But I think the league has caught up a little. If those quick DBs do not get to the QB quickly, we become very vulnerable, especially in the middle of the field where we are asking out LBs to cover people.

2. That is part of the reason why I said what I did. Rex made sure he saw Coples in person and worked him out himself. Hopefully we are able to get a pass rush with these guys.

3. I agree. But what we have seen recently is teams with great QB play and/or a pass rush win the SB. I don't recall any teams winning a SB b.c of their secondary.

Look no further than then the NE games last year. Brady was a statue in the pocket. Some play seemed like he was back there forever just waiting for someone to get open and eventually they did. You cannot cover for that long. We need boys up front to be able to get to the QB.

1) Good point about the blitzing CBs. While the past few pages have debated the merits of Kyle Wilson's coverage ability, nobody has brought up Kyle Wilson as a blitzer. IMO, he's shown to be a pretty poor blitzer thus far. He has great speed, but he doesn't break down when he closes in on the QB. The result is him overrunning the QB and missing him. I think he plays a little too hyper at times, but he showed a little bit of improvement in that department when it comes to covering; however, he has yet to show that as a blitzer. Drew Coleman was pretty atrocious in coverage (far worse than Wilson IMO), but Coleman was an excellent blitzer from the slot.

As far as teams catching up to the DB blitzes, it might be true. That being said, if healthy, I think Landry will be an excellent blitzing DB for the Jets this year.

2) I'm still kicking myself that I moved back to NY a few months before Rex personally worked out Coples. I went to UNC-Chapel Hill and closely observed Coples in his tenure. His "lack of" productivity last year was so overblown. That whole school was a complete s*** show last year. The chancellor fired Butch Davis one week before practice, and it fractured the team. While his senior year didn't stack up to his junior year, it was still productive; the problem is he just set the bar so high in 2010.

Regardless, I think Coples offers excellent and much needed versatility to the defensive line. He can line up in any position in a 3-4 and 4-3 besides 0/1 technique NT. Even dating back to his UNC days, I've always compared him to Justin Tuck. If he's even 80% of Justin Tuck, we've got ourselves a great pick that will certainly help the much needed pass rush.

3) Yeah, I don't think we disagree much here. I just enjoy debating football, and you're one of the better posters in these parts.

I don't think the pass rush needs to be our main strength to have a championship caliber defense, but we can agree that it definitely needed to be improved. Hopefully with some of the drafted and free agent pickups coupled with an excellent rush defense / pass rushing DL coach in Dunbar, they can make the necessary progress to have an above average pass rushing defense

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY2FLDWC85 View Post
    I see you never heard of college studs such as Joe Haden, Kareem Jackson and Devin McCourty. Especially Joe Haden coming out. So, no, you're wrong once again. The top rated CB doesn't become the 4th CB drafted 29th overall. No one is a million years would have ever ranked Wilson as "the top rated CB" coming out.
    Do you not understand the word arguably. Read the Jets coachs' comments. Dennis Thurman had him rated "way up there."

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dunta Robinson is listed on their depth chart as a starter. He was also listed as a starter in 2011.

SO I don't know where you're getting this from.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/depth/_/...on/4-3-defense

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/depth-chart/
    Dunta Robinson is also one of the worst FA CB signings in the past 3 years.

More importantly, there's no way in hell that he would ever start above Brent Grimes and Asante Samuel (NOT Samuels, JI n00bs), who are both top 15 CBs. You can even argue that both are top 10 CBs. FWIW, Jason from nyjetscap.com evaluated the league's CBs from the past three years based on selected stats, and Samuel came in at #2 while Grimes was #3. Dunta wasn't even in the top 40. Pro Football Focus has similar rankings as well.

If you follow NFL news, it's been pretty clearly documented that Dunta Robinson will be the slot corner and Grimes/Samuel are the base starters. The only reason why he's even still on the team is because he signed such a mega deal back in 2010 that they can't cut him due to the salary cap hit and dead money.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Do you not understand the word arguably. Read the Jets coachs' comments. Dennis Thurman had him rated "way up there."
    Yeah, I don't know why the hell he is arguing that. I think he was just looking at the order in which they were drafted.

The pre-draft consensus was:

1) Haden
    2) Wilson
    3) Jackson
    4) McCourty
    5) Cook/Patrick Robinson

But as far as productivity thus far it's been:

1) Haden by a mile
    2) McCourty/Robinson
    4) Wilson
    5) Cook
    6) Jackson
    Last edited by Rexipus Rex; 07-09-2012 at 06:26 PM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    18-1*

Ahhh...I remember it well. Sucked to lose the last one for sure, but even with that, a once in a many lifetimes event. Just a blessing as a fan to witness such total dominance. What a fookin record breaking year.....

Last edited by GuidoYaztremski; 07-09-2012 at 06:26 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    This is your problem, you are a ridiculous douchebag, and you pull **** out of your ass.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure how accurate his sources are but I have heard Schein say multiple times that the Jets had Wilson rated the highest or thought he would become the best CB from that draft.

I think that the fact that we are even arguing this pick means that it was not a good first round pick.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post
    Ahhh...I remember it well. Sucked to lose the last one for sure, but even with that, a once in a many lifetimes event. Just a blessing as a fan to witness such total dominance. What a fookin record breaking year.....

Big friggin deal

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post
    Big friggin deal
    That's correct. Massive in fact.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm happy for you child.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Wow! Shonn greene has become the whipping boy around here pretty fast. Greene stinks??? Thats just silly. Is he elite??? No. But just look who made the super bowl last year. Neither team had an elite back. Its all about the qb my friend. The team will only go as far as the qb takes them. The rb is not the issue.
    I agree with every word you wrote! I also think that joe mcKnight will be an excellent rb this year! Its always easy to dump on the Jets for everything but the team has been pretty darn good overall the last sevaral years. Two ACFCG in the last 3 years! This is our year to shut these critics up!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Who photoshoped a (cleaned and pressed) suit and tie on that homeless bum?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's correct. Massive in fact.
    Jets fans can't comprehend that.

They mess their pants losing AFCCG's thinking it is some sort of significant accomplishment.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jets fans can't comprehend that.

They mess their pants losing AFCCG's thinking it is some sort of significant accomplishment.
    Not ALL Jet fans...some of us are more realistic and I for one have been very jealous of the Pats dominance, (doesn't mean I don't hate u and ur bastard patriots any less, tho, lol)