Page 5 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Sal P calls out the Jets drafting over the last 5 years.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sroger View Post
    What does bringing in highly touted players from other teams, that have not performed and were subsequently released, have anything to do with the Jets' drafting?
    You're trying too hard. You're not good at trolling, FYI.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    You're trying too hard. You're not good at trolling, FYI.

Ehh no I think it's a fair question. Maybe you can elaborate on what he was trying to get at? Lets hear it smart as*

The Jets are really good drafters as of late I swear. Look at their EFFORT in signing cast-offs that didn't cut it on other teams like Maybin and Sapp. Oh oh they are a really savy team- they also trade draft picks and pay market value for guys like Santonio Holmes who are talented, yet grade A-scum.
    Last edited by Sroger; 07-05-2012 at 12:04 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    What does bringing in highly touted players from other teams, that have not performed and were subsequently released, have anything to do with the Jets' drafting?
    Landry didn't perform?

Players brought in with talent and potential are no different from players drafted, that is the point. The criticism was that the Jets didn't keep their draft picks.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ehh no I think it's a fair question. Maybe you can elaborate on what he was trying to get at? Lets hear it smart as*
    Ok, my newly targeted friend. Let's have a clarification as to the ignorance, arrogance and condescension that all of your posts exude.

Apparently you're too stupid to understand the concept that was attempted over the years with this franchise (good or bad). Instead of drafting a player of need that may or may not be at a fixed position in the draft, the Jets chose to use those picks to trade for players in the NFL who have shown potential (Edwards, Jenkins, Cromartie, etc.) or have flat out played well to fill holes that the Jets felt they needed to fill. To discount those lost picks on those players and just say that the team is being built just on players that are acquired through the draft (with the remaining draft picks), when those draft picks went straight to helping the team, is a person who is purposely trying to get a rise out of the Jet fan, lacks a general understanding of football, is ignorant, stupid, naive, and/or extremely narrow minded and can't think past mainstream concepts.

Do you fall into one or more of those categories, or do you get it?

Your ego probably won't allow you to admit that you understand, right, smart a$$?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

The Jets are really good drafters as of late I swear. Look at their EFFORT in signing cast-offs that didn't cut it on other teams like Maybin and Sapp. Oh oh they are a really savy team- they also trade draft picks and pay market value for guys like Santonio Holmes who are talented, yet grade A-scum.
    Paying a 5th round pick for Holmes is a steal.

The rap he gets for last season is overblown.

Don't be a douche troll, the article was about how the Jets haven't drafted well, which is horse****, and how they've given away too many picks.

Jets have moved those picks for quality players, many of them young players, or moved around in the draft.

Pats fans mocking the Jets drafting when the Pats have absolutely sucked at it in recent years is a joke.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

I see from your edited post that you're just a troll looking to get a rise. You're clearly not looking for facts to support your drivel, rather just throw random words together to make pointless sentences. Judging from your lack of ability to discuss, and the awful facts you attempt to use to support your ignorance/arrogance, I'm not sure if you're an 8 year boy pretending to bash a rival team, or just an a$$hole. Kudos, you got me on that one.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    Landry didn't perform?

Players brought in with talent and potential are no different from players drafted, that is the point. The criticism was that the Jets didn't keep their draft picks.

Well the entire point of the thread is players drafted by the Jets. Second, I don't see how you can say Landry "performed". He was chronically injured and clearly never lived up to his draft hype. His market value, and incentive laden contract reflected this.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well the entire point of the thread is players drafted by the Jets. Second, I don't see how you can say Landry "performed". He was chronically injured and clearly never lived up to his draft hype. His market value, and incentive laden contract reflected this.
    Now you're putting your own parameters on the discussion. If you trade the pick you're not allowed to discuss it.

Remember that, fellas. Sroger makes the rules here.

Our bad. Continue, you're very smart.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, my newly targeted friend. Let's have a clarification as to the ignorance, arrogance and condescension that all of your posts exude.

Apparently you're too stupid to understand the concept that was attempted over the years with this franchise (good or bad). Instead of drafting a player of need that may or may not be at a fixed position in the draft, the Jets chose to use those picks to trade for players in the NFL who have shown potential (Edwards, Jenkins, Cromartie, etc.) or have flat out played well to fill holes that the Jets felt they needed to fill. To discount those lost picks on those players and just say that the team is being built just on players that are acquired through the draft (with the remaining draft picks), when those draft picks went straight to helping the team, is a person who is purposely trying to get a rise out of the Jet fan, lacks a general understanding of football, is ignorant, stupid, naive, and/or extremely narrow minded and can't think past mainstream concepts.

Do you fall into one or more of those categories, or do you get it?

Your ego probably won't allow you to admit that you understand, right, smart a$$?
    I don't really know what you are talking about as my point was directed as Ray's contention that signing released players such as Maybin and Sapp is in anyway reflective of the Jet's drafting ability. Simple as that.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Now you're putting your own parameters on the discussion. If you trade the pick you're not allowed to discuss it.

Remember that, fellas. Sroger makes the rules here.

Our bad. Continue, you're very smart.
    What trade are you talking about?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't really know what you are talking about as my point was directed as Ray's contention that signing released players such as Maybin and Sapp is in anyway reflective of the Jet's drafting ability. Simple as that.
    The post you quoted was a response to the list I made of players the Jets used DRAFT CHOICES to acquire. Ray responded to that post, and then you responded to Rays without understanding its entirety. The second half of that post, he proceeded to describe players who were drafted with certainty by other teams, only to be released and end up on the Jets' roster via free agency. You jumped on that, discounting the entire post.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    What trade are you talking about?
    Re-read the entire thread. You're trying to talk about one thing, and the rest of us are talking about something else.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The point of the thread was that wasted draft picks were causing us to lose games, which is always the point. I know you're not bright enough to get that, but maybe if you go back and read it really slowly you might see how much of a fool you've made here of yourself. If I was you I'd just scurry off never to return.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Re-read the entire thread. You're trying to talk about one thing, and the rest of us are talking about something else.
    My reply was more targeted at Ray's contention that:

You can't say they haven't drafted well, when they go out and bring in players like Maybin, Sapp, Landry, Caleb Schlauderaff, and possibly Lankster, all players that were top draft picks or deemed players with good talent coming out of the draft

Quite frankly this makes no sense. Not responding to your point at all as I agree with yours.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    My reply was more targeted at Ray's contention that:

You can't say they haven't drafted well, when they go out and bring in players like Maybin, Sapp, Landry, Caleb Schlauderaff, and possibly Lankster, all players that were top draft picks or deemed players with good talent coming out of the draft
    Quite frankly this makes no sense. Not responding to your point at all as I agree with yours.
    What he's trying to say is that the Jets didn't give up draft choices for those players. It's not worded well, and maybe premature, but that's not the focal point of the premise we're discussing here.

The point of Sal Paolantonio is that he think the Jets have only drafted a 24 players in the last 4 years. This is very misleading, as the Jets have added players by giving up draft choices, which has worked on some and not on others - as does the draft (some players drafted are good, some are not).

Sometimes the media does their own spinning of the truth. This is one of those rinse cycles by a sideline reporter who didn't stop to think about what he was saying.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, I can't stay awake anymore. I have to go do scary things tomorrow.

Good night.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    What he's trying to say is that the Jets didn't give up draft choices for those players. It's not worded well, and maybe premature, but that's not the focal point of the premise we're discussing here.

The point of Sal Paolantonio is that he think the Jets have only drafted a 24 players in the last 4 years. This is very misleading, as the Jets have added players by giving up draft choices, which has worked on some and not on others - as does the draft (some players drafted are good, some are not).

Sometimes the media does their own spinning of the truth. This is one of those rinse cycles by a sideline reporter who didn't stop to think about what he was saying.
    I understand the thread and thought I was clear. I was commenting on Ray's point, which in my opinion was completely baseless and irrelevant to the point of the thread. I think most would agree that the signing of waived yet highly touted draft picks like Sapp and Maybin has nothing to do with the thrust of this thread (the Jets' actual drafting and/or using draft picks on players).

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ASG0531 View Post
    I love these discussions, because everyone takes it for granted that the Pats are going to collapse after Brady, and are waiting like jackals. I can't wait to see how mad the haters are going to be when the Pats are still competing for division titles after he's gone. There will be so many Jets fans high up on ledges that they're going to have to hire more street-cleaning crews in New York.
    Yeah, right, and I'm pretty sure that you were also making these same exact types of remarks when in regards to both the Buffalo Bills and Miami Dolphins future collapses 3-5 years before Kelly and Marino hung their cleats up, right?

BUFFALO BILLS:

With a HOF QB in Jim Kelly under center (11 seasons), the Buffalo Bills went 108-67. That's an average of 9.8 wins per season to go along with 8 postseason appearances during an 11 year span.

No one circled the wagon like the Buffalo Bills; that's until they lost their HOF Quarterback in Jim Kelly. Now, what have the Bills done since Jim Kelly retired back in 1996? They've since gone...

1997: 6-10.
    1998: 10-6.
    1999: 11-5.
    2000: 8-8.
    2001: 3-13.
    2002: 8-8.
    2003: 6-10.
    2004: 9-7.
    2005: 5-11.
    2006: 7-9.
    2007: 7-9.
    2008: 7-9.
    2009: 6-10.
    2010: 4-12.
    2011: 6-10.

Over the past 15 seasons, they've combined for a losing record of 103-137 without Jim Kelly under Center. That's only an average of 6.8 wins per season. Only two postseason appearances during a 15 year span.

But yet, when they had a HOF quarterback leading their franchise, the Buffalo Bills went 108-67. 9.8 wins per season. 8 postseason appearances during an 11 year span.

Only a laughing stock fool wouldn't notice the overall difference.

MIAMI DOLPHINS:

With a HOF QB in Dan Marino under center (17 seasons), the Miami Dolphins went 163-108. That's an average of 9.5 wins per season to go along with 10 postseason appearances during a 17 year span.

Now, what have the Dolphins done since Dan Marino retired back in 1999? They've since gone...

2000: 11-5.
    2001: 11-5.
    2002: 9-7.
    2003: 10-6.
    2004: 4-12.
    2005: 9-7.
    2006: 6-10.
    2007: 1-15.
    2008: 11-5.
    2009: 7-9.
    2010: 7-9.

Over the past 12 seasons, they've combined for a losing record of 92-100 without Dan Marino under Center. That's an average of only 7.6 wins per season. Only three postseason appearances during a 12 year span.

But yet, when they had a HOF quarterback leading their franchise, the Miami Dolphins went 163-108. That's an average of 9.58 wins per season. 10 postseason appearances during a 17 year span.

Only a completely clueless person wouldn't acknowledge the drop off in success.

IN CLOSING:

So, what makes you believe and/or feel that you have the right (or better yet, the nerve) to judge or even question the overall knowledge of this New York Jets fan base in regards to the potential demise of the New England Patriots once Tom Brady calls it quits? We've lived through the Dolphins era with Dan Marino under Center. We lived through the Bills era with Jim Kelly under Center. We seen first hand, what happened to these two franchises ala falling into the darkness for years on end after their HOF QB's hung up their cleats.

It's been 12 seasons since Dan Marino retired, and the closest thing Miami's came to a franchise quarterback is Jay Fiedler.

It's been 15 seasons since Jim Keller retired, and the closest thing Buffalo's came to a franchise quarterback is Doug Flutie.

Only a naive football fan wouldn't understand what happens to a team and franchise as a whole once they lose their Franchise/HOF Quarterback. For every Aaron Rodgers/Green Bay Packer situations, there are lots of Marino/Dolphins, Kelly/Bills, Manning/Colts type of dark days ahead. The Patriots won't be any different once Brady walks. Not unless they find the next Steve Young or Aaron Rodgers; which is highly unlikely. Just go ask both the Bills and Dolphins.

But yet, you actually have the nerve to question our fan bases knowledge in regards to the talking of a potential/future New England Patriots collapse into darkness once not only their HOF Quarterback in Tom Brady retires, but also Bill Belichick calling it quits? Are you kidding me? Were you not a Jets fan during and after the Jim Kelly and Dan Marino era of the AFC East? Do you not remember what's happened to those two respected franchises since their HOF QB's walked away from the game of Football? With the way you're talking as of right now, I'm beginning to wonder/question how long you've actually followed the AFC East and what happens to teams once they've lost their Franchise/HOF Quarterbacks...
    Last edited by NY2FLDWC85; 07-05-2012 at 01:18 AM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY2FLDWC85 View Post
    Yeah, right, and I'm pretty sure that you were also making these same exact types of remarks when in regards to both the Buffalo Bills and Miami Dolphins future collapses 3-5 years before Kelly and Marino hung their cleats up, right?

BUFFALO BILLS:

With a HOF QB in Jim Kelly under center (11 seasons), the Buffalo Bills went 108-67. That's an average of 9.8 wins per season to go along with 8 postseason appearances during an 11 year span.

No one circled the wagon like the Buffalo Bills; that's until they lost their HOF Quarterback in Jim Kelly. Now, what have the Bills done since Jim Kelly retired back in 1996? They've since gone...

1997: 6-10.
    1998: 10-6.
    1999: 11-5.
    2000: 8-8.
    2001: 3-13.
    2002: 8-8.
    2003: 6-10.
    2004: 9-7.
    2005: 5-11.
    2006: 7-9.
    2007: 7-9.
    2008: 7-9.
    2009: 6-10.
    2010: 4-12.

Over the past 15 seasons, they've combined for a losing record of 103-137 without Jim Kelly under Center. That's only an average of 6.8 wins per season. Only two postseason appearances during a 15 year span.

But yet, when they had a HOF quarterback leading their franchise, the Buffalo Bills went 108-67. 9.8 wins per season. 8 postseason appearances during an 11 year span.

Only a laughing stock fool wouldn't notice the overall difference.

MIAMI DOLPHINS:

With a HOF QB in Dan Marino under center (17 seasons), the Miami Dolphins went 163-108. That's an average of 9.5 wins per season to go along with 10 postseason appearances during a 17 year span.

Now, what have the Dolphins done since Dan Marino retired back in 1999? They've since gone...

2000: 11-5.
    2001: 11-5.
    2002: 9-7.
    2003: 10-6.
    2004: 4-12.
    2005: 9-7.
    2006: 6-10.
    2007: 1-15.
    2008: 11-5.
    2009: 7-9.
    2010: 7-9.

Over the past 12 seasons, they've combined for a losing record of 92-100 without Dan Marino under Center. That's an average of only 7.6 wins per season. Only three postseason appearances during a 12 year span.

But yet, when they had a HOF quarterback leading their franchise, the Miami Dolphins went 163-108. That's an average of 9.58 wins per season. 10 postseason appearances during a 17 year span.

Only a completely clueless person wouldn't acknowledge the drop off in success.
    IN CLOSING:

So, what makes you believe and/or feel that you have the right (or better yet, nerve) to judge or even question the overall knowledge of this New York Jets fan base in regards to the potential demise of the New England Patriots once Tom Brady calls it quits? We've lived through the Dolphins era with Dan Marino under Center. We lived through the Bills era with Jim Kelly under Center. We seen first hand, what happened to these two franchises ala falling into the darkness for years on end after their HOF QB's hung up their cleats.

It's been 12 seasons since Dan Marino retired, and the closest thing Miami's came to a franchise quarterback is Jay Fiedler.

It's been 15 seasons since Jim Keller retired, and the closest thing Buffalo's came to a franchise quarterback is Doug Flutie.

But yet, you actually have the nerve to question our fan bases knowledge in regards to the talking of a potential/future New England Patriots collapse into darkness once not only their HOF Quarterback in Tom Brady retires, but also Bill Belichick calling it quits? Are you kidding me? Were you not a Jets fan during and after the Jim Kelly and Dan Marino era of the AFC East? Do you not remember what's happened to those two respected franchises since their HOF QB's walked away from the game of Football? With the way you're talking as of right now, I'm beginning to wonder/question how long you've actually followed the AFC East and what happens to teams once they've lost their Franchise/HOF Quarterbacks...

I'm well aware of the history of the Bills and Dolphins following the retirements of Kelly and Marino. I don't give a rat's ass about what happened to the Bills and Dolphins. What does that have to do with the Patriots? Is there some rule that when an AFC East Hall of Fame QB retires, that team is automatically going to suffer through decades of misery? Different organizations, different owners, different front offices, different talent evaluation teams.

I'm really not making any predictions about what will happen to the Pats once Brady retires. Logic would indicate that level of QB play will go down, and with it the team's performance, but the degree to which that occurs is a complete unknown. They could end up a perpetual 8-8 team for a decade, they could collapse and be a bottom-feeder, or they could find another great QB and continue being successful. I don't know, and neither do you. To assert with any authority what a team is going to look like 3-4 years down the road, especially in today's NFL where teams rise and fall every year, is laughable.

I really don't understand why you responded with your little history lesson. Your point really doesn't make any sense at all. Are you arguing some sort of fatalism with regards to AFC East teams? If you're going to make the claim that the Pats are going to be awful for the next decade-plus, you're going to have to back that claim up with something that's actually substantial.
    Last edited by ASG0531; 07-05-2012 at 01:25 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I understand the thread and thought I was clear. I was commenting on Ray's point, which in my opinion was completely baseless and irrelevant to the point of the thread. I think most would agree that the signing of waived yet highly touted draft picks like Sapp and Maybin has nothing to do with the thrust of this thread (the Jets' actual drafting and/or using draft picks on players).
    Well that's absolutely ridiculous. The thrust of the thread was not that the Jets are still a very good team in spite of not using their draft picks, because they made so many great FA signings. Even you can't be dumb enough to believe that. The thrust on the thread for you was to troll, and you've discovered that you're just as bad at that, as Belicheck is at drafting players. Tex would have had at least 3 people throwing their mouse at the screen by now, but you just make them laugh. Thanks for that btw. I needed a good laugh.