Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheap shot artist Ben Davidson dead

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Cheap shot artist Ben Davidson dead

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/footb...ary/56008480/1

ALAMEDA, Calif. (AP) Ben Davidson, the hulking defensive end who starred for the Oakland Raiders in the 1960s before becoming a famous television pitch man, has died. He was 72
    Davidson died Monday night. He was being treated for prostate cancer. Former Raiders coach John Madden first reported Davidson's death Tuesday on KCBS radio in San Francisco.

Davidson spent 11 years in pro football, starting with the Green Bay Packers and Washington Redskins in the NFL before joining the Raiders in the AFL in 1964.

That's where the 6-foot-8 Davidson became famous. With his distinctive handlebar mustache, raspy voice and physical play, Davidson helped personify Al Davis' renegade Raiders on the 1960s.

"He was a tough, gutsy ballplayer, team oriented with enough meanness in him to be feared and enough talent to be effective," former Raiders teammate Tom Flores said. Flores, who recently played golf with Davidson, got the news while in Las Vegas for a celebration of Davis, who would have turned 83 on Wednesday.

Davidson played in the second Super Bowl for Oakland after the 1967 season and then was on the team that lost the conference title game the next three seasons.

One of Davidson's most memorable plays came on Nov. 1, 1970, against Kansas City. The Raiders trailed 17-14 late in the fourth quarter when Chiefs quarterback Len Dawson ran for a first down to seemingly seal the win.

As Dawson was on the ground, Davidson dived into him with his helmet. In a rage, Chiefs wide receiver Otis Taylor jumped on Davidson and a brawl ensued.

"Their attitude was, if you've got a shot at the quarterback, take it," Dawson recalled in 2010.

The play was negated by offsetting penalties and the Chiefs eventually had to punt. Oakland tied the game on a field goal by George Blanda with 8 seconds remaining and that proved to be the difference in the AFC West race. The Raiders won the division with a record of 8-4-2, while the Chiefs missed the playoffs at 7-5-2.

Davidson didn't play football until going to East Los Angeles Community College. He went from there to the University of Washington, where he helped the Huskies win Rose Bowls in 1960 and '61.

It's football news I guess

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

your headline was a cheap shot.

Let him rest in peace

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge
    Post Thanks / Like
    +1, ....but phuck the Raiders.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Holdem_Player View Post
    Let him rest in peace
    Why?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    The game was a lot different back then.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wasn't he called the Mad Stork? What a mean sonuva***** he was. Hurt Namath many times.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohegangreen View Post
    Wasn't he called the Mad Stork? What a mean sonuva***** he was. Hurt Namath many times.
    The "stork" was Ted Hendricks, not the same.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SCITSCAT View Post
    The "stork" was Ted Hendricks, not the same.
    Oh yea, it was ted hendricks, Oakland had always had mean tall DE's

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    The game was a lot different back then.
    Hell yeah primitive and tough. Today's game is far too sanitized, qb's like Brady need a napkin out there

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Let him rest in peace
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUlrrmZAsRQ

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah! back in those days the game was only the toughest survive, Davidson tried to bite Broadway Joe a few times.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Let him rest in peace
    if the shoe fits, **** 'em

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TechJet View Post
    Yeah! back in those days the game was only the toughest survive, Davidson tried to bite Broadway Joe a few times.
    I agree. It was a classic game of kill the carrier back in the old school days. Remember that game growing up? Also, I've heard reports of Butkus biting people in pile up's; he still denies those claims to this day.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd like to share my condolences with the family of Ben Davidson. He and I shared many battles on the field, and I know how much his teammates loved and respected him. Rest in Peace.
    -Joe Namath

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY2FLDWC85 View Post
    I agree. It was a classic game of kill the carrier back in the old school days. Remember that game growing up? Also, I've heard reports of Butkus biting people in pile up's; he still denies those claims to this day.
    Dude, holy **** , cream the carrier was the greatest recess game ever created, would love to play some more cream the carrier...those were the days...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    I'd like to share my condolences with the family of Ben Davidson. He and I shared many battles on the field, and I know how much his teammates loved and respected him. Rest in Peace.
    -Joe Namath
    Amen... All is is fair in love and war

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY2FLDWC85 View Post
    I have some crazy friends that bit during pileups, myself, kinda sad to admit

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohegangreen View Post
    Dude, holy **** , cream the carrier was the greatest recess game ever created, would love to play some more cream the carrier...those were the days...
    "Cream the Carrier"? That sounds like what the male "talent" does to the STD-infested "actress" in a pr0n film.