Thread: My boy Connor Barwin & the Jets; $$ possible?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

My boy Connor Barwin & the Jets; $$ possible?

So another certified Paradis pick - Connor Barwin (former TE & DE from CIN) has emerged into exactly what i thought he would be. A beast 3-4 OLB.

Somehow the Jets can't seem to buy one with a basket of virgins - Yet HOU can't stop tripping over them.

Where am I going with this? Barwin's up for a contract next year and is going to cost money. HOU has Brooks Reid & Whitney Mercilus. We may have a shot here folks... Pace and Bryan Thomas will done and gone.

question is, can we even afford a contract like that next year?

Last edited by Paradis; 07-04-2012 at 01:49 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Revis' deal is coming next year but Thomas, Pace, Scott and Maybin are all possibilities to shed money at LB...

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Offense needs help, not defense.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    You don't need to tell me that Buzz. Honestly.

That wasn't the question though. Can we afford a contract like that is what I'm asking. With more than a couple contracts ending next year, we're gonna need some major reinforcements at OLB. (think about it. when have I ever went on about OLB? that's how bad it's going to be.)

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    our LB's are becoming very old and slow. Scott, Pace, and BT won't be back next season and Maybin isn't the answer. Barwin would be an excellent addition to the team

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The jets can afford him, but that just leaves a lot less money for the other positions that need to be addressed next year.

Revis is not much of a concern, when his contract ends in 2014, is the first year the cap jumps. The talk is that the 2014 cap will be 15-17 mill more than the 2013 cap. (although I think the jets might have borrowed 3 mill of the cap last year.)

The jets would probably be better served with getting Barnes who played with Rex in Balt. He is older but will probably only cost 4 mill vs the 8 that Barwin will command.

2 or 3 of the oline are FA and Hunter's cap is 4 mill next year. Both Safeties, 4 LBs, (or cuts) and Shon Greene.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    If (IF. Did I mention if?) things go according to plan this year I think we move into a base 4-3 in 2013 that occasionally has 3-4 looks. That means you only have to replace ONE of Thomas or Pace with a starter-level talent.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    hmmm ^^ .... never considered that. He's not 4-3 LB material either.

Guess we'll see how many 43 fronts we run this year and go from there.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    lol @ his tattoo,

What an idiot.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    With all due respect to Connor Barwin, I wouldn't consider him an OLB beast just yet. Over the past two years, yes, he's combined for 65 tackles and 15 sacks. Last year he broke out with 47 tackles and 11.5 sacks. I wouldn't necessarily consider those as beastly numbers, not when guys such as...

Terrell Suggs put up 70 tackles/14 sacks.

Jason Pierre-Pau put up 86 tackles/16. sacks.

Jason Babin put up 40 tackles/18 sacks.

DeMarcus Ware put up 58 tackles/19.5 sacks.

Jared Allen put up 66 tackles/22 sacks.

Outside of Babin (who followed up 2010's breakout season with a monster 2011 season) all of these pass rushing freaks are what you'd not only consider as being beastly, but as proven beasts.

Yes, Connor Barwin put up 47 tackles and 11.5 sacks as a 2nd year player last year, but at the same time, he was still considered (for the most-part) as being an 'unknown quality' last season. That's in regards to pass rushing ability, especially considering the fact that he only put up 3.5 sacks during his rookie season.

I look at Barwin's up coming season in the same light as I did with Jason Babin's season last year. It's a 'show me what you have' type of situation. Can Barwin put up productive numbers ala 50+ tackles with double digit sack numbers this up coming season, when opposing offenses actually game plan around Barwin while offensive lineman put extra focus and emphasis into containing Barwin's pass rushing ability? That's when we'll see if he's truly beastly as an outside pass rusher.

He snuck up on this league last season, can he put up these types of numbers when it's expected? We'll soon find out.

My current focus is on our 24 years of age pass rushing talent in Aaron Maybin. Kid put up what, 6 sacks with 4 forced fumbles during his first 9 games as a Jet last season? I always try and keep in mind, that we only picked up Maybin two days after our first preseason game. He was then waived on September 4th and resigned on September 28th. So, he was cut 3 days after preseason and signed 4 weeks into the season (or heading into our 4th game against Baltimore). Kid was pretty much thrown into the fire without having A.) OTA's. B.) Practices. C.) Training Camp D.) A full preseason and E.) 3 regular season games. These are only some of the reasons on why I'm anxious to see what Maybin can do under Ryan's defense with A.) All of the above and B.) Improved defensive line play. Wilkerson and Ellis no longer being rookies, DeVito returning from injury along with the drafting of Coples should all help our pass rushing linebackers; especially Mayibin himself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cQOzfM47lg
    Last edited by NY2FLDWC85; 07-04-2012 at 05:19 PM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY2FLDWC85 View Post
    With all due respect to Connor Barwin, I wouldn't consider him an OLB beast just yet. Over the past two years, yes, he's combined for 65 tackles and 15 sacks. Last year he broke out with 47 tackles and 11.5 sacks. I wouldn't necessarily consider those as beastly numbers, not when guys such as...

Terrell Suggs put up 70 tackles/14 sacks.

Jason Pierre-Pau put up 86 tackles/16. sacks.

Jason Babin put up 40 tackles/18 sacks.

DeMarcus Ware put up 58 tackles/19.5 sacks.

Jared Allen put up 66 tackles/22 sacks.

Outside of Babin (who followed up 2010's breakout season with a monster 2011 season) all of these pass rushing freaks are what you'd not only consider as being beastly, but as proven beasts.

Yes, Connor Barwin put up 47 tackles and 11.5 sacks as a 2nd year player last year, but at the same time, he was still considered (for the most-part) as being an 'unknown quality' last season. That's in regards to pass rushing ability, especially considering the fact that he only put up 3.5 sacks during his rookie season.

I look at Barwin's up coming season in the same light as I did with Jason Babin's season last year. It's a 'show me what you have' type of situation. Can Barwin put up productive numbers ala 50+ tackles with double digit sack numbers this up coming season, when opposing offenses actually game plan around Barwin while offensive lineman put extra focus and emphasis into containing Barwin's pass rushing ability? That's when we'll see if he's truly beastly as an outside pass rusher.

He snuck up on this league last season, can he put up these types of numbers when it's expected? We'll soon find out.

My current focus is on our 24 years of age pass rushing talent in Aaron Maybin. Kid put up what, 6 sacks with 4 forced fumbles during his first 9 games as a Jet last season? I always try and keep in mind, that we only picked up Maybin two days after our first preseason game. He was then waived on September 4th and resigned on September 28th. So, he was cut 3 days after preseason and signed 4 weeks into the season (or heading into our 4th game against Baltimore). Kid was pretty much thrown into the fire without having A.) OTA's. B.) Practices. C.) Training Camp D.) A full preseason and E.) 3 regular season games. There are only some of the reasons on why I'm anxious to see what Maybin can do under Ryan's defense with A.) All of the above and B.) Improved defensive line play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cQOzfM47lg

Maybin can be a nice 3rd down pass rusher but let's be honest- he will never be a 3 down OLB capable of setting the edge and standing up in the run game on a down to down basis. Just hope he doesn't seek to get paid like Mark Anderson, whom he is very similar to in terms of his skill set/ what was asked of him (Anderson got paid 28 mil over 4 based on his production as as a 3rd down rusher).

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not a lot of room to sign FA. All the money we get back on expiring contracts will go to Revis, maybe Keller and maybe Maybin. And this is also assuming that Sanchez remains the QB. Otherwise we might be in the market for one.

We need to build through the draft. I think this past draft was the start of that.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    he fills 2 of the top 5 needs

TE & PASS RUSH

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    He's a competent OLB but I'd prefer to see what Mayhem, Sapp etc have to offer this season. Barwin may be too pricey next year. Jets need to focus on re-signing their own priority free agents and building through the draft

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just re-watched the Maybin highlights. I have to say, the kid is extremely fast. In the games later in the season, he learned how to use his speed and come back to the inside without making contact with the OTs. He's going to be good this year.

His speed is in the upper echelon level in the NFL in terms of pass rushers.

We're lucky to have him develop like he did. He could possibly put up 10 sacks this year.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Call me crazy but I think the Jets pass rush will be just fine this year, better than fine actually. Downright nasty.

Losing Pace and Thomas won't hurt one bit. They will be using more 4man fronts and Maybin is going to show up for 12 sacks this year.

I have faith both Coples and Mo are going to open things up for the other guys quite a bit.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cutting Pace, Scott, Hunter, and Smith cuts $22M from our cap number, but if the cap stays flat, that's still only going to give us about $5M to work with at the start of the offseason.

We'd probably have to restructure Harris, and maybe Holmes too (if he keeps his head on straight this year).

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    Call me crazy but I think the Jets pass rush will be just fine this year, better than fine actually. Downright nasty.

Losing Pace and Thomas won't hurt one bit. They will be using more 4man fronts and Maybin is going to show up for 12 sacks this year.

I have faith both Coples and Mo are going to open things up for the other guys quite a bit.
    Man that .gif in your signature is hypnotizing... I just don't understand how some JETS fans are willing to part ways with THE ISLAND... Nevertheless, I agree with you about our LBs... I'm excited about Maybin most of all simply because I was surprised last season with how productive he was(extra pressure) in such a limited role with limited chances... If he didn't overplay the ball/runner a few of those plays his numbers could've possibly been higher...
    Last edited by HoustonJET; 07-04-2012 at 08:34 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Darrelle Revis won't play on a one-year deal. A long term contract will be needed to hammered out there.

LaRon Landry and Yeremiah Bell are on one-year deals. Safeties will have to be signed.

Matt Slauson, Brandon Moore, Dustin Keller and Shonn Greene are all on one-year deals. You'd think at least one or two of them will be re-signed, and if not, who's replacing them? It certainly won't be all draft picks.

Not to mention the other inevitable holes that will be made by cuts and perhaps retirements (Calvin Pace, Bart Scott).

AND with the pick of Coples, a 43/46 hybrid is the defense of the future here, not a 34.