Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: Fracking a new low

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Fracking a new low

COLUMBUS (AP) -- Loved ones aren't all that's buried in the 122-year-old Lowellville Cemetery in eastern Ohio. Deep underground, locked in ancient shale formations, are lucrative quantities of natural gas.

Whether to drill for that gas is causing soul-searching as cemeteries -- including veterans' final resting places in Colorado and Mississippi -- join parks, playgrounds, churches and residential backyards among the ranks of places targeted in the nation's shale drilling boom.

Opponents say cemeteries are hallowed ground that shouldn't be sullied by drilling activity they worry will be noisy, smelly and unsightly. Defenders say the drilling is so deep that it doesn't disturb the cemetery and can generate revenue to enhance the roads and grounds.

"Most people don't like it," said 70-year-old Marilee Pilkington, who lives down the road from the cemetery in rural Poland Township and whose father, brother, nephew and niece are all buried there.
    http://www.cleveland.com/nation/inde...emeteries.html

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't see the issue... corpses are buried a few feet under the surface. fracking happens thousands of feet under the surface.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Axil View Post
    I don't see the issue... corpses are buried a few feet under the surface. fracking happens thousands of feet under the surface.
    Vertically and horizontally! picture a large sweeping L. Libs trying to make an issue, Like they REALLY GAF about the graves of fallen soldiers.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Axil View Post
    Sure.

Then what happened to the cemetery down the road from me where there is now a water truck and several 1,000 gallon tanks?

Oh. Yeah. Cause of fracking.

#cluelesspeoplethatdontlivewherefrackinghappens

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    Sure.

Then what happened to the cemetery down the road from me where there is now a water truck and several 1,000 gallon tanks?

Oh. Yeah. Cause of fracking.

#cluelesspeoplethatdontlivewherefrackinghappens

How can that be if fracking in NYS is not legal?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shakin318 View Post
    How can that be if fracking in NYS is not legal?
    PK is a FRACKING liar!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    It didn't stop them in the St. Louis area a number years back when they dug up mostly black cemetaries for the light rail. BTW they did pay for the new interment cost.