Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Should Knicks match a backloaded deal for Lin?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    Knicks will 100% match that.

if Lin develops, and he will have one hell of a mentor in J-Kidd, it's a bargain deal.

if he doesn't, the Knicks can decline the 4th year team option and rebuild from scratch in 2015, which is the same year the contracts for Stat, Melo, Chandler and Kidd all expire.

people are trying to make a big deal out of the Knicks having to pay the luxury tax, and they forget that during the Isiah Era, the Knicks payroll was always around $100 million and once got up near $130 M.

Dolan doesn't give a **** about paying the tax as long as the MSG seats are full and Lin jerseys are flying off the shelves.
    Agreed, although I do think that under the new CBA the luxury tax is a bit harsher.

Jets Insider VIP
    Knicks will 100% match that.

if Lin develops, and he will have one hell of a mentor in J-Kidd, it's a bargain deal.

if he doesn't, the Knicks can decline the 4th year team option and rebuild from scratch in 2015, which is the same year the contracts for Stat, Melo, Chandler and Kidd all expire.

people are trying to make a big deal out of the Knicks having to pay the luxury tax, and they forget that during the Isiah Era, the Knicks payroll was always around $100 million and once got up near $130 M.

Dolan doesn't give a **** about paying the tax as long as the MSG seats are full and Lin jerseys are flying off the shelves.
    Exactly. It's actually a great deal for the Knicks and Lin because he gets his full Bird rights and can sign a max deal at 28 if he's legit.

And, like you said, the tax doesn't matter. The only problem would be that the Knicks can't do sign-and-trades that year as a tax team, but that's a risk they're willing to take that 1 season. In the 4th year, like you noted, everyone else's contract is expired.

It's telling that, essentially, Melo, STAT, Tyson, and Lin have 3 year contracts. That's their window.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    Agreed, although I do think that under the new CBA the luxury tax is a bit harsher.
    Yeah, like I mentioned above, the kicker about the luxury tax is that a taxed team won't be able to do sign-and-trades and I believe they won't have a MLE or MMLE.

Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    Yeah, like I mentioned above, the kicker about the luxury tax is that a taxed team won't be able to do sign-and-trades and I believe they won't have a MLE or MMLE.
    yes, the tax is higher and it places more constraints on the team.

but like you said, they'll give this core a 3 year window, and will use the smaller exceptions and minimum contracts to surround them with role players.

Aren't we a LT team now that received an MLE?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite View Post
    Aren't we a LT team now that received an MLE?
    If I'm not mistaken, the Knicks haven't hit the luxury tax threshhold yet. They got the MLE by being over the cap. They're using the Mini MLE to keep under the tax.

If I'm not mistaken, the Knicks haven't hit the luxury tax threshhold yet. They got the MLE by being over the cap. They're using the Mini MLE to keep under the tax.
    the way i understand it, every team over the cap gets the MLE.

but if you use the full MLE ($5 million) you are making a firm commitment that you WILL NOT be pay the luxury tax, so the full MLE triggers a "hard cap" right at the luxury tax threshold.

if you use the mini MLE instead ($3 million), you're allowed to go over the luxury tax threshold. however, tax paying teams are not allowed do sign-and-trades and the tax gets progressively worse and your payroll increases.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejet22 View Post
    I say yes. Match it.

pretty of douchy of Lin and his reps, but hey, business is business.
    Douchey?

He went from not being able to stick on an NBA roster and sleeping on teammates couches to getting a $30 million offer sheet from not even half of a season. Good for him.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by DevsJetsYanks88 View Post
    Douchey?

He went from not being able to stick on an NBA roster and sleeping on teammates couches to getting a $30 million offer sheet from not even half of a season. Good for him.
    Yeah, Lin did what was best for him, which is OK considering he was a day away from being cut before the Nets game. Now he'll have a nice 3 year contract and then can possibly make even more money.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by DevsJetsYanks88 View Post
    Douchey?

Except that the Rockets were the team that waived him on Christmas Eve last year.

Maybe that's why Yankee said that.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Except that the Rockets were the team that waived him on Christmas Eve last year.

Maybe that's why Yankee said that.
    LOL, yeah, that's true.

Then again, he's not like Eric Gordon who is telling his old team not to match the offer sheet and work out a S&T. Lin wants to go back to the Knicks and the contract is workable to the team.

I have to think that Lin & his agent had something to do with not making the 3rd year as "poisonous" as it could have been.

sneaky f*ckers!!

"Source says that Jeremy Lin has officially signed three-year, $25.1M offer sheet with the Rockets. Knicks will have three days to match."

- david aldridge

"Lin will get $5M in year one, $5.225M in year two and $14.898M in year three. Rockets hoped that will discourage NY, but Knicks will match."

- david aldridge
    Houston trying to scare the Knicks away, but i still think we match 100%. i don't see the big deal here, tbqh. this won't affect the Knicks going all out for the next 3 years, if anything, it maximizes that sentiment.

under the old terms, we were still gonna be all sorts of capped-out and taxed-out in 2015. this just adds an extra $5.5 million to our payroll (along with the corresponding tax increase). our books will be pretty much clean the following season.

furthermore, it puts pressure on Lin to perform. by matching, the Knicks will be showing that they believe he's their PG of the present and future. he better work his ass off and better take to Kidd's tutoring if he wants to live up to that promise. and if he does, we all win.

Jets Insider VIP
    Lin mustve pissed Dolan off with that change in the offer sheet.

Frank Isola‏@FisolaNYDN
    The Knicks have acquired Raymond Felton and Kurt Thomas from Portland for Jared Jeffries and Dan Gadzuric, sources tell the Daily News

David Aldridge‏@daldridgetnt
    Source confirms @FIsolaNYDN report of Knicks' acquisition of Ray Felton and Kurt Thomas from Portland for Jared Jeffries, Dan Gadzuric.

Marc J. Spears:Blazers will sign guard Raymond Felton to a three-year, $10 million deal and then trade him to Knicks in sign and trade, source tells Y!2 minutes ago

Ken Berger‏@KBergCBS
    So it's Raymond Felton and Kurt Thomas for Jared Jeffries, Dan Gadzuric and a 2016 second-round pick, for the record.
    Last edited by SMC; 07-15-2012 at 12:31 AM.

Houston trying to scare the Knicks away, but i still think we match 100%. i don't see the big deal here, tbqh. this won't affect the Knicks going all out for the next 3 years, if anything, it maximizes that sentiment.

under the old terms, we were still gonna be all sorts of capped-out and taxed-out in 2015. this just adds an extra $5.5 million to our payroll (along with the corresponding tax increase). our books will be pretty much clean the following season.

furthermore, it puts pressure on Lin to perform. by matching, the Knicks will be showing that they believe he's their PG of the present and future. he better work his ass off and better take to Kidd's tutoring if he wants to live up to that promise. and if he does, we all win.
    The problem is/was the luxury tax in the NBA is going to be ridiculous in 3 years and the Knicks getting this deal plus the contracts of Melo/Amare/Chandler they would've ended up paying something insane in luxury tax like $50-60 million - and yes, even the rich Knicks with sold out garden can't really afford that or would simply rather not pay that.

Do I think Lin is worth $25 mil? Yes, not only is he a marketing home run for the Knicks and the NBA he is going to be a good to very good pg in the NBA.

Do I think the Knicks could have afforded the luxury tax implications? Probably not. Also, don't forget I think Grunwald is posturing to blow this current unit up in 3 years when Melo/Amare contracts both expire and rebuild again.
    Last edited by detjetsfan; 07-15-2012 at 02:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite View Post
    Enjoy Houston Jeremy
    I think Lin will do well in Houston. It's the country's 3rd biggest market and he is an international marketing phenom. I loved watching him play as a Knick and the Knicks organization deserves all the credit in the world for being the one team that gave him a shot.

LOL, yeah, that's true.

Then again, he's not like Eric Gordon who is telling his old team not to match the offer sheet and work out a S&T. Lin wants to go back to the Knicks and the contract is workable to the team.

I have to think that Lin & his agent had something to do with not making the 3rd year as "poisonous" as it could have been.
    Lin absolutely wanted to stay in New York. The Knicks were the only team that was willing to give him a shot a year ago and he's had all his success here.

The Rockets are a azzhole organization. They put in the poison pill b/c they knew it was a lock the Knicks would match and they wanted to stick it to the Knicks (probably with David Stern's encouragement & guidance). Grunwald called the bluff. Now they have to pay Lin $15 mil by his 3rd season - and Lin may not be the player in Houston he was in NY.

Felton/Kidd is not a bad platoon at PG. I'm still holding out hope the Knicks can make an 11th hour bid and purchase of Dwight Howard since Orlando is not interested the Nets' trash like Brook Lopez and draft picks that will end up being worthless.
    Last edited by detjetsfan; 07-15-2012 at 02:54 AM.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Lin absolutely wanted to stay in New York. The Knicks were the only team that was willing to give him a shot a year ago and he's had all his success here.

The Rockets are a azzhole organization. They put in the poison pill b/c they knew it was a lock the Knicks would match and they wanted to stick it to the Knicks (probably with David Stern's encouragement & guidance). Grunwald called the bluff. Now they have to pay Lin $15 mil by his 3rd season - and Lin may not be the player in Houston he was in NY.

Felton/Kidd is not a bad platoon at PG. I'm still holding out hope the Knicks can make an 11th hour bid and purchase of Dwight Howard since Orlando is not interested the Nets' trash like Brook Lopez and draft picks that will end up being worthless.

Nets can't trade him until Jan '13 now anyway.

All Pro
    Wow. Didn't see this coming, but it looks like that third year poison pill was too much for the Knicks to stomach. Disappointed to see Lin go, but I enjoyed Felton during his time here -- hopefully we get the Felton we saw in 2010-2011 and not the Felton of last year that stunk with the Blazers.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    The problem is/was the luxury tax in the NBA is going to be ridiculous in 3 years and the Knicks getting this deal plus the contracts of Melo/Amare/Chandler they would've ended up paying something insane in luxury tax like $50-60 million - and yes, even the rich Knicks with sold out garden can't really afford that or would simply rather not pay that.

Do I think Lin is worth $25 mil? Yes, not only is he a marketing home run for the Knicks and the NBA he is going to be a good to very good pg in the NBA.

Do I think the Knicks could have afforded the luxury tax implications? Probably not. Also, don't forget I think Grunwald is posturing to blow this current unit up in 3 years when Melo/Amare contracts both expire and rebuild again.
    And don't forget that, IIRC, that in year 3 with such an insane luxury tax amount, the Knicks would be prevented from using the MLE and sign-and-trades. The tax consequences are much more punitive under new CBA.

Lin screwed up if his intentions were to go back to the Knicks. It was reported that they had orally agreed on the OS of $5-5-9 mil and Lin had dinner with Knicks assistant coach Kenny Atkinson that evening. His re-negotiation was total bush league.

Good for Lin and bad for the Rockets because this will likely screw up their pursuit of Howard. But I think Lin is better off mentoring with Kidd in NY than flying solo in Houston. It may turn really bad for him.