Thread: Reggie Jackson calls out A-Rod

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Reggie Jackson calls out A-Rod

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/stor...taints-numbers

Hall of Famer Reggie Jackson thinks all of Alex Rodriguez's numbers are tainted because of his admission to performance-enhancing drug use. Jackson also doesn't believe players who used steroids should be allowed into the Hall of Fame.

"Al's a very good friend," Jackson said of the New York Yankees third baseman in the latest issue of Sports Illustrated. "But I think there are real questions about his numbers. As much as I like him, what he admitted about his usage does cloud some of his records."

Jackson is a special adviser to the Yankees and frequently is around the clubhouse.

In February 2009, Rodriguez only admitted to using steroids during a three-year stretch after he signed a $252 million contract with the Texas Rangers. Entering this weekend's series with the Boston Red Sox, Rodriguez has 642 career home runs, placing him fifth all-time. After this season, A-Rod, who turns 37 this month, has five years left on his contract. He is hitting .266 with 13 homers and 36 RBIs this year.

After being traded to the Yankees and then opting out of his contract, Rodriguez was re-signed by the club in 2007 to a 10-year deal that includes multimillion-dollar incentives for tying home run milestones such as Willie Mays' 660 figure and Barry Bonds' all-time record of 762. The bonuses, which could total $30 million, were agreed upon before Rodriguez' admission to PED use.

If someone such as Rodriguez or Bonds or anyone else that has been linked to PED use is voted into the Hall by the Baseball Writers' Association of America, Jackson predicts there will be a boycott.

"If any of those guys get in, no Hall of Famer will attend," Jackson told SI.

Jackson, 66, left the door open a bit for himself in regards to Andy Pettitte. He thinks the Yankees' left-hander eventually will be voted into the Hall, making Pettitte a different case compared to other alleged or admitted users.

"The question is going to be a guy like Andy Pettitte, who admitted that he got involved for a while, but who is so universally respected in the game," Jackson told SI. "I think he'll get in, but there will be a lot of (members) who won't go."

Jackson seemed to indicate to SI that if Pettitte were inducted into the Hall he still may attend.

"He's an awfully good friend," Jackson said. "I've known Andy since he was 20. I'll leave it there."

Jackson also let it be known who he thinks shouldn't be current members in the Hall.

"I didn't see Kirby Puckett as a Hall of Famer," Jackson told SI. "I didn't see Gary Carter as a Hall of Famer. I didn't see Don Sutton as a Hall of Famer. I didn't see Phil Niekro as a Hall of Famer. As much as I like Jim Rice, I'm not so sure he's a Hall of Famer."

Jackson didn't think Bert Blyleven should be voted in, either.

"Blyleven wasn't even the dominant pitcher of his era; it was Jack Morris," Jackson said.

Hall Of Fame
    Who cares what Reggie thinks?

One thing I do know is that his number should not be retired.

Jets Insider VIP
    There is another guy in the HOF who does NOT belong.....

REGGIE JERKSON

Held ONLY two major league records when inducted..

MOST STRIKEOUTS..SEASON

MOST STRIKEOUTS...CAREER

in addition to being a rotten arrogant turd who I personally observed push kids out of the way and to the ground to avoid signing at a Baseball Assistance Team charity dinner unlike the other 85 old timers (including dozens of HOFers who actually deserved the honor)

an arrogant boorish jackass and nothing more

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

Jackson probably should have known better being an employee, but he really didnt say anything that outrageous...and this is including the Carter and Puckett comments.

Problem is, Arod looks washed up and the contract is awful...and the biggest reason the Yankees FO gave him that mega deal was because of the home run record.

Now that most deem it irrelevant, the Yankees really look like jackasses....im sure Levine didnt appreciate Reggie rubbing it in.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

The "Straw that stirs the drink" part ll.

Dont disagree with him, I wouldnt lose a second of sleep if Aroid missed the Hall...but for a guy that has basically been nursing on the Yankee teat for a living to this very day...that was a pretty stupid thing to say to a writer.

-